Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Classy. Very HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I guess that's not terrible. Not spectacular either though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I wonder what the pattern at the end is supposed to be, I don't recognize it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll say it again, the longer nacelles father back make all the difference in that design. That's 1,000 times better looking than it was.

The theme itself reminds me a lot of the JJ movies. I'm not super enthused, but it's functional. Voyager's theme is probably still my favorite (even though it's the worst show).

By that logic maybe Discovery will be quite good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Classy. Very HBO.

I agree. This is a very modern Prestige TV intro. Very pretty. I doubt CBS can actually deliver that to a big enough audience, though.

I do with the theme was a little more... forceful? The TOS bit at the end was good.

I lol'd a little at the ship making a double helix between two klingon thingies knowing what the plot is likely to be

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You know what? I'm still not a fan of the saucer having a big ring cut out of it, but seeing the little isolated bridge globe up close actually makes me kind of like it. A lot.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah that was a well made if unexciting title sequence.

And also agreed on Voyager having the best one despite being the worst show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

And also agreed on Voyager having the best one despite being the worst show.

VOY and DS9 had great visuals for their themes.

This really does feel like a logical progression of the ENT opening which was also visually great for the show's theme. if polarizing musically.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress is that intro. Overwrought visuals of some loving prop sketches, over top a theme that's a whole lot of nothing bookended by butchered excerpts of the TOS theme.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'll say it again, the longer nacelles father back make all the difference in that design. That's 1,000 times better looking than it was.

Yeah, they got it to a good place.

I've somehow become cautiously optimistic about this show. CBS All Access is still a complete non-starter, of course.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm still not a fan of that ship design, but it definitely looks better in motion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When they first revealed the theme for the show, I thought "this sounds like something you would play over a game of thrones intro," and that's pretty much what they did.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Someone take that intro and set it to Faith of the Heart.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've completely forgotten to ask until now, but do CBS shows end up on Hulu the next day or how does it work? We don't have cable and our antenna is out of commission, so we're relying on streaming for now, and I need to know where to find the first half of the pilot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it makes it seem like all that time spent absorbing the details of a fictional universe was wasted. If a new Star Trek show won't respect that investment, what will?

Not sure if you're taking the piss, but I 100% unironically agree. :colbert:

I will say this though: I don't want it to be horrible. I don't want it to fail. I don't want a timeline where Orville gets 5 seasons and this gets 1--shoot, I want BOTH shows to get 7 season (and a movie). I am going into this hoping beyond hope that it will be totally good and redeem itself, but I have very, very low expectations.

Also not watching the title sequence so I can fully absorb it tonight live and in HD.

Edit: I will also say that despite the fact that the show was overall mediocre and the first few seasons were pretty lame at times, Broken Bow was one of my favorite ST premieres. It set a high tone that wasn't matched by the show. Here's to hoping this will start strong (and stay strong).

Astroman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 24, 2017

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That is a very good title sequence. While the theme is very...generic, I can see it growing on me. The whole thing has a very deco look to it that evokes TOS enough. Bring it on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I like it. It does go a LITTLE overboard with the close-ups of the phaser and communicator (I could almost hear them saying "See? We're keeping the familiar TOS stuff that all you fans know. See? SEE?") but that's a pretty small gripe.

I admit, I laughed a little at the Sistine Chapel bit with the spacesuit gloves.

Finally... I can't help but notice the lack of any actual credits in this opening credits sequence.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Echo Chamber posted:

Someone take that intro and set it to Faith of the Heart.

Fans work fast, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tof6DUdM7IY

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know, this is weird in that it's trying to be different but is less different than the DS9 or Voyager themes. They just had to be similar enough to trigger dissonance with the TOS theme. That's another in a long list of weird, unsettling design choices. Is this show designed to be unsettling like Alien? That earlier trailer certainly looked like a horror movie.

And yeah, the middle part is just a series of iconic props and images from TOS.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've completely forgotten to ask until now, but do CBS shows end up on Hulu the next day or how does it work? We don't have cable and our antenna is out of commission, so we're relying on streaming for now, and I need to know where to find the first half of the pilot.

CBS has no relationship with Hulu outside of using their backend for live streaming. The episode will be stuck on All Access after broadcast, most likely.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Son of a bitch
! I made the same drat video but Youtube won't let me upload anything for some reason. I've been trying to get it resolved for an hour!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If it's not good I want it to be a Trainwreck.

Just a complete failure on every single level so maybe people could look at what Star Trek is as opposed to what they want it to be.

It could both be Star Trek and a machine that prints Caaassshhhhh Money. They keep trying to make a pew pew lasers spectacular for the latter, and because they put the right wallpaper on that's supposed to satisfy the former. The heart doesn't work on the outside. That's called life support.

So if this is more shovelware I hope it sucks enough that even Grandma realizes it and leaves it on the shelf.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Well drat. That actually fits really well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

If you are in the US, it will only be on CBS all access. Until CBS realizes no one wants to pay for it and either doesn't look at global numbers and cancels the show, or realizes it was popular everywhere else and puts it on Netflix like something a smart person would do.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

CBS has no relationship with Hulu outside of using their backend for live streaming. The episode will be stuck on All Access after broadcast, most likely.

Well, hm... is it still free to watch it in that case or would we need to subscribe? Like is there free vs. paid sides of All Access?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No, there is paid with ads and pay more for no ads.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There's a bit about 30 seconds in that really sounds like the Fringe theme.

Here, I think this fits well too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbslLd2b8vw

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

New Harry Potter theme sounds dope.

The problem putting it to these other themes is that the visuals don't build to anything and these themes are clearly supposed to have something dramatic happen about 30 seconds in.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I take that back, clearly CBS will be using some things from post TOS canon:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

:capitalism:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Haha holy poo poo, you have to pay and it has ads and only 720p? Lol

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

marktheando posted:

Haha holy poo poo, you have to pay and it has ads and only 720p? Lol

Hence the thread title.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I signed up for the 2 day trial for this but I can't even get the player to load video. Page just has a big black box instead. Does the same on Edge and Chrome and I have flash enabled. Anyone else have this?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7KMMxAQp8I

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Thom12255 posted:

I signed up for the 2 day trial for this but I can't even get the player to load video. Page just has a big black box instead. Does the same on Edge and Chrome and I have flash enabled. Anyone else have this?

On the live TV stream page? It's working fine for me on chrome

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's on at the half-hour? What the hell is this insistence with doing everything possible to fail.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Hence the thread title.

Well I knew about the other issues but not about the ads. That's incredible. Glad I can just watch this on Netflix.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Bloop posted:

It's on at the half-hour? What the hell is this insistence with doing everything possible to fail.

It might be on at the half-hour, maybe, depending on when the football game ends. 60 Minutes has to air after that, of course, then STD. After that we can watch whenever we want on All Access, as long as when we want is after they put up the episode each Sunday(???) at ??? time. Thankfully you'll only have to keep track of that during the first "chapter" of 8 episodes, as they are breaking the season in half. The second "chapter" starts in January sometime, and things might have changed by then, maybe? Make sure to keep your All Access account active the whole time to keep updated!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The opening credits look like some sort of concept art book. Fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Comes just short of a 'Renaissance Sketches/Exploded Diagrams versus Cosmic Imagery' vibe and aesthetic that would've worked well, I think.

As is, 7/10 C+

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 24, 2017