Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's definitely possible, since I can't imagine Schur would want to throw out any character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure this ends with them teaming up with Michael in some way, at least temporarily, since Michael ends up in as bad a situation as they are.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure this ends with them teaming up with Michael in some way, at least temporarily, since Michael ends up in as bad a situation as they are.

I hope it involves butthole spiders.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

This would lead to some interesting moral quandries, so I hope they go that way. Is a win-win deal okay when you're aiding a literal demon? If you've been cursed to The Bad Place for actual, legit reasons, is it okay to avoid your punishment? I feel like at least Chidi would worry about that one.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Favorite quote so far in S2:

"Can you imagine getting drunk before giving a big speech? Getting kicked out of your niece's christening and then, only later, once you've sobered up, realizing you don't even have a niece? It's like... who was that kid?"

Kristen's delivery was perfect.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Bobulus posted:

This would lead to some interesting moral quandries, so I hope they go that way. Is a win-win deal okay when you're aiding a literal demon? If you've been cursed to The Bad Place for actual, legit reasons, is it okay to avoid your punishment? I feel like at least Chidi would worry about that one.
"There are no philosophers in a spider budhole"

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Michael's way too aggressively mean to Chidi and Tahani in 2.0 and it's probably going to keep backfiring in 3.0. "They'll torture themselves!" is a good look but it only works if they don't know it's torture.

Like, short, denim-wearing soulmate in your ideal afterlife is just too on-the-nose miserable. He had the right idea the first time, with the subtle offness.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I get the feeling he spent way longer preparing the first one and the 2nd/3rd are rush jobs that'll never work the same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Michael is classically overthinking it, and also trying to be some kind of puppetmaster, in a way that never actually works in real life.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Michael will probably keep loving up because he thinks the note was the problem; he doesn't see that ramping up the cruelty is what actually did him in.

One of the structural questions the S1 finale raised is, how do you tell a story with omnipotent villains? And I think one very good answer is to let your heroes leverage those villains against each other. So I definitely agree with the theory that the next phase of the story will be the four teaming up with Michael to keep the "Good" Place going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do think at some point it will be revealed that the demons were never torturing "real people" somehow. I just don't see Schur committing to the idea that most of humanity is actually having their dicks smashed or budholes filled with spiders for eternity.

Also, noticed: in the reboot, the picture of the stoner is still in Michael's office. After the way season 1 went, I 100% expect him to actually play a part in the show somehow.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I hope it involves butthole spiders.

That gang and Michael make the bad place their budhole. Jason is the new architect.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

precision posted:

I do think at some point it will be revealed that the demons were never torturing "real people" somehow. I just don't see Schur committing to the idea that most of humanity is actually having their dicks smashed or budholes filled with spiders for eternity.

Also, noticed: in the reboot, the picture of the stoner is still in Michael's office. After the way season 1 went, I 100% expect him to actually play a part in the show somehow.

Chidi's in hell for having a severe anxiety disorder that apparently nobody ever got him any help for so I'm entirely willing to believe that TGP takes place in an aggressively immoral universe.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The Stoner & Janet are the keys for escaping Michael's trap.

But there's obviously going to be another twist this season, when can we start putting bets on it?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure long-term this story is about how hosed the good place/bad place system is. You'd think Chidi would be questioning it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure long-term this story is about how hosed the good place/bad place system is. You'd think Chidi would be questioning it.

He'd never come up with a definitive conclusion, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm almost wondering if Michael's real innovation is moving away from punishment to rehabilitation. All 4 of his charges are 'medium' people, but for different reasons. Tahani did good things for bad reasons, Chidi was so concerned with having the right reason to do things that he was paralysed, Eleanor was basically apathetic and selfish and Jason is ignorant but in an odd way innocent. What if his experiment is taking 4 people who are borderline between the Good Place and the Bad Place, and putting them together to see if they make each other worse or better? It could also explain how he was able to get Janet, he didn't 'steal' her, he borrowed her and lied about it to his Bad Place bosses.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just so forking happy we can even have this kind of speculation about a sitcom starring Ted Danson that's on a major network

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A question that kind of hung over the first season (and which I would have liked to see Chidi fret more over) is "What kind of moral system draws such a harsh line between infinite reward/torture, and puts the average person on the torture side?", and I think that's a question that still stands. Even though it turns out we haven't seen the real Good Place yet, we still know it's part of a horrendously unfair system (unless the Bad Place is outright capturing souls that weren't supposed to be tormented), and I hope that gets explored. Upending the entire system in some way-- Good and Bad places alike-- feels like the only possible endgame for this story.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

My bet is that Michael is an angel who ended up in hell somehow, and he's either trying his best to be a good demon so he don't get caught, or he's trying to subvert poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The true irony that he's the only real believer in evil, and the rest are just petty bureaucrat assholes punching a clock. He really wants to get transcendent in their suffering, really break down their humanity and whats makes him who they are, and the rest just want to bite folks and put things up butts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulva posted:

The true irony that he's the only real believer in evil, and the rest are just petty bureaucrat assholes punching a clock. He really wants to get transcendent in their suffering, really break down their humanity and whats makes him who they are, and the rest just want to bite folks and put things up butts.

Maybe Jason should give them his resume. (also you know he pronounces it without the accent)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 24, 2017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Mulva posted:

Why change what's been working so far?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think it probably would have collapsed just as fast without the note. Jason knew nothing about the note, and he basically blew the whole thing by breaking character in front of everyone. I think that Michael might fool himself into thinking that the note was the reason the whole thing fell apart, but the actual reason is that his tortures were not subtle enough. It felt too much like torture too soon. Tahani broke at the party and Jason broke a little while later.

I just found the new thread and this show owns!

One little thing about this is that part of the 1.0 plan involved the recognition that Jason would want to act out and relying on Eleanor to suppress him, putting pressure on them both because Jason would chafe under Eleanor's demands and Eleanor would be terrified that Jason would blow their cover. I think it was actually on Michael's diagram. Separating them just makes Jason a loose cannon, and Michael was completely reliant on the fire guy to do the job instead.

1.0 was effective at pitting the humans against each other, but humans find opportunity in adversity. 2.0 assumes that demons would do a better job keeping them under control, but this turned out to be the opposite of true. I was suspicious of Michael's "revelation" at the end of season 1 and this just confirms it. Michael still fundamentally doesn't understand his humans enough to keep them on rails.

Show owns.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Michael's basically a really lovely DM freaking out when his players won't stick to his story.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the idea that's emerging here is that a limitation of being a bad person is not being able to fully understand how good people work. Michael thinks that he can model the behavior of Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani, and Jason, but despite their flaws, they are better people than Jason is, and so some parts of their motivations are inscrutable to him. In addition to this, Michael is a better "person" than Shawn. Sure, Michael thinks he's a demon and he's really into torturing people, and he is. But his idea of making a "Hell Is Other People" bad place shows both self-actualization and a desire learn and understand, but also is inadvertently a "let the punishment fit the crime" type of system. Which is actually much less terrible than what they usually seem to do. After all, Michael's crazy experimental psychological torture actually gave his victims room to grow and becomes better people. His system actually rehabilitates bad people.

I expect there to be a "Grinch-like" moment when Michael finally understands that they won't torture each other because they value each-other as people and learn from their conflict, rather than suffering, and his heart will grow three sizes.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It's not Heaven or Hell, it's Purgatory for all those involved. The series finale will be all players being dragged into paradise despite all efforts to the contrary.

Michael: "It would have been perfectly Bad, but you all had to make it Good!"
Eleanor: "You were the one who put us all together!"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys would suck the fun out of a blow job.....

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

You guys would suck the fun out of a blow job.....

Fuckn hell

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BSam posted:

Fuckn hell

Too far? Been watching Jim Jefferies, send halp.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that's never a good idea for anyone

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jim Jefferies is a level 30 Aussie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I expect there to be a "Grinch-like" moment when Michael finally understands that they won't torture each other because they value each-other as people and learn from their conflict, rather than suffering, and his heart will grow three sizes.

The problem is, this will end pretty badly for Michael from what we've been shown. Like, them being rehabilitated creates an entire new moral quandary, given that their rehabilitation will result in Michael being burned on the surface of a million suns for eternity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but if Michael realizes that the whole system is bad, maybe they can all escape into an actual good place. Where none of them belong, least if all Michael.

They can go lots and lots of directions with this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We do know escape IS possible if they have Janet on their side. Dunno what else is out there besides the Medium Place but if they all go together instead of having hostages left behind that could be a start.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm about 7 episodes into this. I like the aesthetic and it's a fun and creative concept, but I just don't think it's very funny. It's like they're always verging on having a truly funny gag but don't quite manage to get there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's never the most lol hilarious show. But it keeps getting better!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about 7 episodes into this. I like the aesthetic and it's a fun and creative concept, but I just don't think it's very funny. It's like they're always verging on having a truly funny gag but don't quite manage to get there.

The fun doesn't come from witty lines or sarcastic quips. You mostly haveto appreciate the convoluted farce.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The purest comedy in the show is Jason making an excited face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah the performances are what really sell me on the show. Chidi especially would be an easy character to screw up but Harper kills it.

• Locked thread