Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah it's the highest grade followed by choice, select and commercial.

"Wait what about angus? Where does that fall in the quality scale?"

Actual question from a guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
:discourse:

http://houseofprimerib.net/mobile/home.php

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I think prime rib however is an older nomenclature. I'll post the video later if I can find. Chef step's Chuck roast I think.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I really need to reverse sear a rib roast on my bbq.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lol, I'm not surprised. Wait until they find out there are multiple types of angus.

I just started culinary school at a community college. My knife skills need lots of work.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 24, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Lol, I'm not surprised. Wait until they find out there are multiple types of angus.

I just started culinary school at a community college. My knife skills need lots of work.

Just use your knife to kill yourself now and spare yourself from this industry?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tezcatlipoca posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrS3mGZ_Nok

practice every day, you'll get it down

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Cross posting from the restaurant reccomendation thread since it doesn't see as much action:

If you could eat anywhere in Portugal and someone else would pay for it, no matter what, where would you eat? Because that's the situation for my honeymoon in June, and goddamn if I don't want to eat at a Michelin starred restaurant at least once in my life. My fiancee is allergic to shellfish, but other than that, we'll try anything, especially if it's spicy.

Also, if you know any places there with good traditional charcuterie, I'd love to hear about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Serious question.

Have you worked in the industry before?

If not, save yourself a few grand and go wash dishes and do prep for six months. You'll know by then if you can do this for a living.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Serious question.

Have you worked in the industry before?

If not, save yourself a few grand and go wash dishes and do prep for six months. You'll know by then if you can do this for a living.

the one plus side of going the community college route is its probably dirt rear end cheap

i think i barely spent a grand total for my 'education' before i thought better of it and got the gently caress out

i also got to gently caress around in a pretty decent commercial kitchen on my own time with decent product, made some good friends along the way, and basically fed myself lunch & dinner five days a week in exchange for my course fees

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I've worked in food service off and on throughout my life and frankly those have been the least stressful, least drama filled jobs I've had. Besides what better way to slide into the abyss than to ruin something I love by making it my job?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

what was your answer

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Though I generally agree with Liquid Communism, CCs actually have some of the least-bullshit culinary programs because they're necessarily plugged into local businesses to get you into the pipeline ASAP and minimize your debt load because... CC.

"most reputable culinary program" is kinda like "smartest chicken in the factory coop" though. It all ends one way.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've worked in food service off and on throughout my life and frankly those have been the least stressful, least drama filled jobs I've had. Besides what better way to slide into the abyss than to ruin something I love by making it my job?

Having been exactly where you are right now... I actually can't think of a graceful end to that sentence in a way I'd have listened to me today six years ago. Just please realize that what we do isn't who we are, and institutional cooking is 1000% more civilized than brick and mortar gigs. And I mean that in a bad way. Also a good way. Mostly bad, though.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
On Friday we were slammed from 10:30am to 11:45pm. We needed a second rail to hold the tickets at lunch and dinner. Everyone worked at least 13 hours. The Exec and Executive Sous both put in their notice. They'll both be gone by the time we do our walkthrough of the new expansion. All this poo poo I've done to impress at the new job? Gotta be redone, and I'll almost certainly get passed over anyway as they hire or transfer from outside. Wouldn't want to harm the operation of the most profitable outlet by taking away their most affable team player, after all! Such is institutional cooking.

On Saturday I was one of two people on all day while 900 folks wandered the hotel, locked in by Austin's stock-in-trade Surprise Road Construction begun on a Friday and abandoned all weekend, getting drunk and hungry. The one (1) reliever picked a rondeau for a pasta boil instead of a smaller pot, which led the lifer line cook who isn't me--and just so we're clear, this dude is definitely nodding when he comes into work and back from the bathroom--to maddog him relentlessly because he needs the rondeau to retherm queso dip or some idiot poo poo like that. The reliever walks away on the spot because nothing is worth that poo poo. Now we all get to work doubles today and tomorrow. Yay.

On Sunday we serve the checkouts and get word that our outlet did a cool million in revenue in 48 hours. I get to feel planar fascitis in one direction in the arch of my right foot, and another direction in the toes of my right foot. Which is weird because usually its the left that gives me trouble when it does.

My current career goal is passing ICND1 by November, ICND2 by New Years, and doing something else with myself by February. I reckon I can float for 3 months In Case Whatever.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

what was your answer

"Are you seriously relaying this question to me Phil? Go somewhere else, quickly."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Willie Tomg posted:

I get to feel planar fascitis in one direction in the arch of my right foot, and another direction in the toes of my right foot. Which is weird because usually its the left that gives me trouble when it does.

Nothing like that excruciating limp to the bathroom first thing out of bed in the morning, eh?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

We finally hired enough staff that I get to take a long weekend off. Any have any good restaurant reccs in Montreal?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shabadu posted:

We finally hired enough staff that I get to take a long weekend off. Any have any good restaurant reccs in Montreal?

Joe Beef

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Republicans posted:

Nothing like that excruciating limp to the bathroom first thing out of bed in the morning, eh?

did you hack my webcam or something, jesus christ man

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shabadu posted:

Oh hells yes, love Montreal. My last trip there was just a couple months back too.

Joe Beef is the only restaurant I go to every time I'm there. It's that good. Call now and see about a reservation, because they book up way in advance. If you can't get in there, their sister restaurant just a couple doors down called Liverpool House is just as good, with slightly less red meat-focused faire. When you call to make a reso they'll be able to handle both places.
If you like foie, Au Pied De Cochon is an excellent spot to hit. Also books up super early.
Chuck Hughe's Garde Manger isn't worth the money, but his other restaurant called Le Brenmer fed me one of the best meals I've ever had, and it's a much smaller, more intimate place. Not sure if Danny Smiles is still in the kitchen there, but when he found out I'm industry they plied me with booze and he kicked his garde guy off their station for a few minutes so he could make me an off-the-menu app. Dude was awesome as gently caress.
If you're looking for a not-famous out of the way place that does incredible French food, I had an incredible meal at Le Pegase on my last trip. It's BYOWine as well, which makes it a not crazy expensive dinner.

I'd say those are my highlights. If you're looking for anything else specific, let me know. I've done up Montreal a bunch, I loving love it there.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Looks like Sunday is our day in Canada for the trip, booked at PDC after salivating at ham from the shack and maple toffee milk shake.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Willie Tomg posted:

At least this time you weren't woken up three hours before the alarm by a leg cramp.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

Sciatic pain is also hosed like that too, yeah.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
All this does is want me to travel to Canada.

It sounds chill.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

A Man and his dog posted:

All this does is want me to travel to Canada.

It sounds chill.

A mean head cold is tearing through the resto I work at, so the entire front of house is ripped to the tits on cough syrup so that we don't appear sick. Because we work in an industry where people don't get sick days.

Downside: we all feel like garbage

Upside: I feel like I'm underwater

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i did the community college culinary thing and i think i paid like maybe $500 over 2 years and got great connections and job offers before even graduating. the catch is that you cook for a living

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I got laid off. Or got 2 weeks notice that I'm getting laid off. Woo, jobhunting.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

I got laid off. Or got 2 weeks notice that I'm getting laid off. Woo, jobhunting.

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Everything else might suck, but it's impossible to be unemployed for long

Good luck finding something that you enjoy!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Naelyan posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Everything else might suck, but it's impossible to be unemployed for long

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Endless prospects in the mines of misery!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

today i had to cover for a sick server instead of doing office poo poo, and honestly, i felt kinda guilty making all of that money while she was sick at home.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

e: wrng thread

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Restaurant Industry Thread: Don't forget: you're here forever

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We've just hired on some new people, one to try and replace a fantastic cook who got a degree, fell in love, and moved up in the world, and another additionally to possibly replace that guy because he's having a hard time hacking it, or if the first guy figures it out, one of a couple other gently caress-ups. One that treated a couple customers like poo poo while he was off the job but drunk as gently caress at the bar (pretty normal for our dive, but not the driving our customers away part) and another because he's a moron who couldn't graduate high school and refuses to follow sanitary procedure an takes every shortcut he can because he's a total shoemaker and thinks he's king poo poo. Either way, I'm the guy training the new guys in while people what their replacements settle in with a terrified look, and it's a relief to know we're shedding our gently caress-ups.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is gonna sound bad but bear with me.

I almost hosed up the other day, cause we're opening a new store and signed on a new partner.

Well him and his wife and 2 other couples who are with the partner come in yesterday to train.

No one tells me poo poo. So I had no clue, but I was getting flirty with one of them.

Thank god my bro who I've worked with for ten years was like "THATS THE PARTNERS WIFE"

I immediately took a hard left. Woof.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Everyone Who Has Ever Posted In This Thread At Once posted:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

It's beautiful.

Sickchat: since moving to supply, I still seem to have the turbo-charged immune system that years of working in F&B grants to those who made the correct blood sacrifices.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

It's beautiful.

Sickchat: since moving to supply, I still seem to have the turbo-charged immune system that years of working in F&B grants to those who made the correct blood sacrifices.

I think that's one of the perks. I get sick roughly once a year these days, and generally mild at that. I think I've been legitimately ill (as in, nonfunctional for a day or more) maybe 3 times since I left the industry.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

this is a good take on a tired, tired joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I still want out but now that this week has let up somewhat, I'm having good days even when I'm working. Things mostly operate as they should, people mostly work together, I work and go home and do other poo poo as I've always wanted. poo poo's hosed, yo