Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

88 looks wild.

:low whistle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Would love to see Jones vs Ryan in the finals.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I really like craig jones too but he would have to beat leandro lo and then probably keenan cornelius for that to happen and I don't know if he's that good

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm getting up early to watch. From our team, we have Renzo in the super fight and Nicky, Ethan, Taza, Garry, Gordon, Jake and Tom in but unfortunately an injured Eddie out. It's an insane number of people not just from one school but from one class in one school.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I can't wake up to watch this and I don't want to pay to watch a replay but I do realllly want to see a lot of the event.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Craig Jones RNCs Leandro Lo, the dream is alive

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 23, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Craig Jones RNCs Leandro Lo, the dream is alive

Let's go champ

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Awesome job by Craig Jones. What a huge upset.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CRAIG JONES BEATS MURILO SANTANA WITH A FLYING TRIANGLE YEEEEEEEEEEEAH

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just woke up and logged in to find that the horse I was cheering for is already out.

So many 0-0 REF results. Are these matches as slow as that would suggest? My impression of ADCC is that it's lots of really slow matches with occasional flashes of HOLY poo poo

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Only caught up with 88k so far but that was thoroughly entertaining. Xande is fighting like jiu jitsu personified and Gordon Ryan's back take vs Barral broke my brain.

Are there any absolute matches today or does that happen tomorrow? Is there a bracket out for that?

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Few thoughts from ADCC (was covering them live)

- Gordon Ryan is pretty pretty good. Suprisingly soft voice for such a big guy .

- Danaher rocks a sweet fannyback .. as a matter of fact a lot of the grapplers walking around had fannybacks.

- i feel like Chael really has poo poo time during these events. People are all over him taking selfies. When he is warming up, walking to toilet, walking to his match, right after the match. Must be exhausting. Same with Renzo.

- The Brazilians seemed to be very mad about every decision that was not to their side. A lot of "Porras" from the crowd.

- us Finns made history when for the first to time one of our fighters got in to semifinals ( -66kg Elvira Karppinen beat Mackenzie Dern 4-2).

- Orlando Sanchez is a big boy. Funny as Hell.

And to my question to you fine fellows.

What should be done to ADCC rules to limit the amount of 0-0 bullshit? Lot of guys seem more interested in gaming the rules than actually grappling and entertain the crowd?

Should they even be concerned with that?

Also i recorded interviews with DeBlass, Ryan and Tonon. Would you guys be interested in hearing them (is it even okay to post them?)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Post those interviews. Post them hard.

Craig Jones making it to the semis is the best an Australian has ever done in competitive BJJ, too. I think Absolute MMA in Melbourne has the makings of being our first big competition gym on the international stage, all three of our competitors were from there.

With regards to the rules... it will always be about gaming the rules, no matter what. Anybody who obeys the spirit of the sport rather than the letter of the rules is performing sub-optimally and at the top level that's absurd. So the trick is to make better rules... but obviously, I have no idea how to do that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

With regards to the rules... it will always be about gaming the rules, no matter what. Anybody who obeys the spirit of the sport rather than the letter of the rules is performing sub-optimally and at the top level that's absurd. So the trick is to make better rules... but obviously, I have no idea how to do that.

Submission only, if no decision five random audience members are selected to vote for who most entertained them.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Post those interviews. Post them hard.

Craig Jones making it to the semis is the best an Australian has ever done in competitive BJJ, too.

Chris Haseman made the semis for ADCC in 1999 I'm pretty sure.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

KildarX posted:

Submission only, if no decision five random audience members are selected to vote for who most entertained them join the match on behalf of their preferred fighter.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tables, ladders and chairs.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Some sweet arm bar details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwaXoOJgcoo

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

He keeps talking about what to do when you break a guy's arm and he keeps attacking

is Renzo's gym full of jits berserkers ?? :catstare:

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I did my first BJJ class last night, it was really fun. I Do have a sore Adam’s apple today though after a girl squeezed it from guard.... I wasn’t sure she was even going for a submission so didn’t tap quick enough. I need to get familiar with when people are close to submissions I guess.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't worry, you will

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you guys ever get that thing where you take time off and somehow come back stronger? With a new child I've been struggling to make one night a week for the last six months, and somehow, I'm crushing a bunch of people who used to be my equals or betters.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Do you guys ever get that thing where you take time off and somehow come back stronger? With a new child I've been struggling to make one night a week for the last six months, and somehow, I'm crushing a bunch of people who used to be my equals or betters.
Every time for me. I have no clue why, but my first day or two back from a break I'm unstoppable.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I think it's part your brain processing things in your subconscious while you're not training, part people forgetting your play style.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

I think it's part your brain processing things in your subconscious while you're not training, part people forgetting your play style.

I typed up a terrible nonsensical answer to the question and deleted it, but it said this in way more words.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Just popped in to vent a pet peeve of mine:

I try to show a beginner a move, and they're more obsessed with learning the "counter to the counter to the counter to the counter" than actually doing the original technique properly. They think they need to learn the "counter to the counter etc" because last time they tried the move, their training partner did something silly, and they couldn't get it to work because they weren't doing it the right way to begin with. So instead of just drilling the move it's, "What if I do this? but what if I do this? Oh, yeah? But what if..."

Then we roll and it's Beached-Fish Jitsu for five minutes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nickmeister posted:

Just popped in to vent a pet peeve of mine:

I try to show a beginner a move, and they're more obsessed with learning the "counter to the counter to the counter to the counter" than actually doing the original technique properly. They think they need to learn the "counter to the counter etc" because last time they tried the move, their training partner did something silly, and they couldn't get it to work because they weren't doing it the right way to begin with. So instead of just drilling the move it's, "What if I do this? but what if I do this? Oh, yeah? But what if..."

Then we roll and it's Beached-Fish Jitsu for five minutes.

Same thing we say in Judo about combos - the follow ups only exist for when the first attack fails, and it's less work to succeed on the first attack.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah I got badly caught up in combos for a while there when I was a few years into Judo and I made less progress then than at any other time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

Yeah I got badly caught up in combos for a while there when I was a few years into Judo and I made less progress then than at any other time.

Combos aren't bad in themselves, but when we fail to see the difference between a feint and a combo we start to get in trouble.

This has been on mind today - last night I identified a nice new series for myself, and I landed it on 2/3 randori partners on whom I attempted it - kouchi -> ashi guruma. I hit the setup on the 3rd but I screwed up my ashi guruma, and ended up stuffing an o guruma into his midsection with the ashi guruma hands, so he didn't go over. Now the next step is to develop it into a full combo with a properly committed kouchi instead of a low commitment one which I hope my opponent will overstep while I load up the ashi guruma. If I don't, my partners will get the sense that they don't need to fully defend when I go after a foot sweep like that, and I'm open to counters.

It's the same thing with those series in BJJ. I don't know what technique you're arguing with the newbie about, but it could help to show that there is more than one way to defend it, or that an opponent who senses that the initial attack is rubbish is in a really good position to make you pay for it.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

CommonShore posted:

Combos aren't bad in themselves, but when we fail to see the difference between a feint and a combo we start to get in trouble.

This has been on mind today - last night I identified a nice new series for myself, and I landed it on 2/3 randori partners on whom I attempted it - kouchi -> ashi guruma. I hit the setup on the 3rd but I screwed up my ashi guruma, and ended up stuffing an o guruma into his midsection with the ashi guruma hands, so he didn't go over. Now the next step is to develop it into a full combo with a properly committed kouchi instead of a low commitment one which I hope my opponent will overstep while I load up the ashi guruma. If I don't, my partners will get the sense that they don't need to fully defend when I go after a foot sweep like that, and I'm open to counters.

It's the same thing with those series in BJJ. I don't know what technique you're arguing with the newbie about, but it could help to show that there is more than one way to defend it, or that an opponent who senses that the initial attack is rubbish is in a really good position to make you pay for it.

This makes a lot of sense.

As for the newbies, the problem generally arises when they don't do the move properly. Because they lack the experience, and just because it's difficult to evaluate what you did wrong when you're tired and have someone's just smashed into your face, they think that the move "just didn't work." When in reality, they didn't hold a grip properly, didn't put pressure on their opponent so they wouldn't be able to sit up, etc. So they start for complicated solutions to a simple problem, i.e. doing the move correctly in the first place.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nickmeister posted:

This makes a lot of sense.

As for the newbies, the problem generally arises when they don't do the move properly. Because they lack the experience, and just because it's difficult to evaluate what you did wrong when you're tired and have someone's just smashed into your face, they think that the move "just didn't work." When in reality, they didn't hold a grip properly, didn't put pressure on their opponent so they wouldn't be able to sit up, etc. So they start for complicated solutions to a simple problem, i.e. doing the move correctly in the first place.

Maybe it's a show rather than tell thing - drill with them a bit, or use the move on them in a light roll. If they get the sense that you're able to do this to them with impunity, or that you can just moonwalk past their backup plans, it might help them focus.

But the other thing is that this is a part of normal development in technical sports. Some people - especially people who have played lots of video games - equate knowing more and more complicated moves with getting better. I.e. when you level up in Final Fantasy, your guy gets NEW MOVES and those new moves are always more powerful, ergo the new moves in BJJ must be betterer too. They might just need to play around with poo poo and learn for themselves that this isn't the case, because for some people this is only learned through experience.

One strategy I use for this in Judo is explaining throws in groups, and noting how they fit together as more complicated versions. EG Harai Goshi looks totally loving sweet and powerful reaping hip throw, and you might think that it's easier to ippon someone if you add that extra leg which gets them over more easily - but it's actually a modified Tsurikomi Goshi (leg reap added) which itself is a modified O Goshi. If you're having trouble getting that O Goshi to work, it's probably because you don't have a good balance break, proper body contact, or stable balance. If you don't have good body contact, your Tsurikomi Goshi won't work, and if your balance isn't good enough to do O Goshi, you certainly won't get Harai Goshi to work, even if it looks more powerful. So get that O Goshi perfect, and put some effort into the TKG, and then look at Harai, because they build on each other.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm getting quite good at taking backs but I'm absolute poo poo at finishing from there. It's getting annoying.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Can you elaborate on what you do once you get the back? What do you do and how do they typically react?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

nickmeister posted:

Can you elaborate on what you do once you get the back? What do you do and how do they typically react?

I usually go for and get a body triangle since I have long strong legs and then fish for an RNC. I'm just really bad at handfighting and they defend pretty well. I've finished it a handful of times but I'm pretty woeful at RNCs. I think part of it is I need to stay tighter and closer which I've been doing and I really just need to think about handfighting smarter I guess. People at my gym really like going for trapping the arm with a leg from the back but since I almost always can safely grab a body triangle I do that since worst case scenario I end up in mount.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I usually go for and get a body triangle since I have long strong legs and then fish for an RNC. I'm just really bad at handfighting and they defend pretty well. I've finished it a handful of times but I'm pretty woeful at RNCs. I think part of it is I need to stay tighter and closer which I've been doing and I really just need to think about handfighting smarter I guess. People at my gym really like going for trapping the arm with a leg from the back but since I almost always can safely grab a body triangle I do that since worst case scenario I end up in mount.

I know I've posted this before but these details are really helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXgzv2Wy9OM

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Worst case scenario in having a body triangle is not ending up in mount, it's tapping due to them leg locking you with their legs if yours aren't hidden properly.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Worst case scenario in having a body triangle is not ending up in mount, it's tapping due to them leg locking you with their legs if yours aren't hidden properly.

Ummmm wut crossing your feet in front of your opponent is not the same as a body triangle

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Seltzer posted:

Besides defending against your attacks, are they able to escape?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JaySB posted:

Ummmm wut crossing your feet in front of your opponent is not the same as a body triangle

I know, you can still get caught if the straight leg is loose. I'm not talking about having hooks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

I've twice made people tap when they body triangled me and managed to tuck the foot. If the lock is on my right side, I roll to the right, put my left foot on their right foot to free it from behind my knee and pin it to the ground, and then get my right foot there too and hip up.

easy money aaayyyyyyyyyyy.