Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Give us a Frank Burns style character, a egotistical medic who signed up voluntarily because they think they're hot poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Let's see how long it takes for Nam' to turn him into a pill selling scumbag.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GimpInBlack posted:

Next Time: Fortunate Sons - Character creation demo! Give me a few grunt concepts and I'll make a few characters to illustrate the system. Be sure to include MOS and whether they were drafted or not, and from what state, and bonus points if you throw in a period-appropriate photo reference.

Armin Tamzarian - 19 y/o arrested in Springfield, MO for gang related activity (assault, petty theft, etc.) and given the choice to do jail time or go serve in Vietnam. Not drafted so much as press-ganged into service. MOS The Gunner.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GimpInBlack posted:

Next Time: Fortunate Sons - Character creation demo! Give me a few grunt concepts and I'll make a few characters to illustrate the system. Be sure to include MOS and whether they were drafted or not, and from what state, and bonus points if you throw in a period-appropriate photo reference.

Give me Frank Castle.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

GimpInBlack posted:

You mentioned that the chargen has a few changes to make if the PC isn't a US Army regular? Can we see that? How about someone who's an ARVN liaison attached to the squad as an intel guy?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Davin Valkri posted:

You mentioned that the chargen has a few changes to make if the PC isn't a US Army regular? Can we see that? How about someone who's an ARVN liaison attached to the squad as an intel guy?

I was gonna use Frank to show that off, since canonically he's a USMC sniper (according to Wikipedia), but we can do an ARVN intel officer too.

EDIT: One of the rules regarding interactions in this game is the enforcement of a hard language barrier--no character can be fluent in both English (or other FWF languages) and Vietnamese (or indigenous languages). So our ARVN Intel officer will be able to talk to the locals, but will have to get by with an English phrasebook and a smattering of common words to talk to the rest of the squad. We'll talk more about why that is later in the write-up, but it's more than just enforcing a sense of isolation and frustration.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 25, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GimpInBlack posted:

It's the real hallmark of a mature game, IMHO. Pity so many games don't get that.

It's the difference between Mature(As in not adolescent), Mature(As in explicit), and MATURE(Where your profit margin is measured in how many people you can get to piss themselves)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A Handler named Ratcatcher with a big and vicious dog. Need to know about them dog physics.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
A lady gunner suffering from pragmatism and a whole fuckin' lot of weapons.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dutch from Black Lagoon. Big black guy, probably drafted, is likely going to do some crimes or desert in such a way that he can never go back to America.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GimpInBlack posted:

In a nice little touch, the description of each alignment includes a sentence on how that type of person is single-handedly Losing Us This Goddamn War.

can you share these? it'd be interesting to see what the designer believes is causing the war to be a losing proposition for the different archetypes.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

can you share these? it'd be interesting to see what the designer believes is causing the war to be a losing proposition for the different archetypes.

It's more presented as something an anonymous senior officer might say over dinner back at Da Nang about why we're losing the war, but yeah, when I get back to a computer I'll post the alignment descriptions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer Fantasy: Realm of the Ice Queen

The Defenestration of Praag

The Old Palace of Praag is another possible dungeon for PCs to explore, though the surface structure is nothing but ash and cinder. It was targeted by warpfire strikes during the great sack, destroying the palace and the area around it completely and utterly. Any attempts to rebuild in the area spontaneously burst into flames, because it was set on fire so much that burning it to the ground once wasn't nearly enough to contain the magical power of 'being on fire' that was bestowed upon the structure. Now it sits as a black scar on the city, avoided by all, though who knows what could be beneath it? Burned into the old stone is the image of a young woman, left as nothing but a shadow of ash on the one surviving wall. People suspect it may be her blood that floods the main street every evening, and what, exactly, Chaos did to her and to the palace is beyond any investigators thus far.

The Magnus Garden is a large, healthy memorial garden, dedicated to those lost in the war. The Ungols of Praag would rather give credit to an Imperial foreigner rather than the Gospodar generals of the south for their victory, and so while Magnus did not personally save the city, they still credit him for killing Kul. The great gardens are healthy and untainted, even though they are tended only by the care and love of the gardeners rather than by blessings or magical defenses. The gardens are full of statuary and public pieces of art, set out by the College of Art that lies just beyond them, and you can often find students from the Academy of Music practicing under the trees and streams. The local temple of Ursun sits within the garden, and other temples stand just nearby. In all things, the Magnus Garden is one of the few genuine oases in a city full of scars and monsters.

The great Temple of Dazh is the largest in the country. The Ungol prefer him to Ursun, partly because the northern winters are so dangerous and partly because Ursun has always been favored among the Gospodar, and the flashy nature of Dazhite temples has always fit in well with the extravagance and wealth of the city. The temple here has already been fully rebuilt, and is untainted; the once-shattered stained glass images of Dazh and his court have been restored, the gold paneling re-installed, and the building stands proudly under the morning sun. Praag's Dazhite priests are legendary in their devotion to the city and its people, like High Watcher Iablinik, who is said to have prayed so hard for food for the people that Dazh turned him into a great apple tree to feed the starving. The prior High Watcher, Rak, nearly caused a war between the Empire and Kislev a few decades back. He was lectured at length by a Middenlander ambassador (when we get to Sigmar's Heirs some day...Middelanders' provincial character is being loudmouthed, racist assholes) about how much it was costing to support the 'backwards' Kislevites, but his patience snapped when the Ulrican suggested the temple should be unnecessary, since those with the favor of Ulric would simply bear the cold rather than needing flames in winter. His response was to calmly fling the man out a window, and the Defenestration of Praag became a short-lived international relations crisis.

The Temple of Ursun has fallen into disrepair, at least as much as a natural set of caves marked off by a couple large boulders in a park can fall into disrepair. High Priest Urosh talks to no-one, and has sent all the other priests away save his faithful servant Gyrna. This is because Urosh has begun to mutate. He is ashamed of his mutations, and worse, fears that Father Bear is punishing him and the city for his own failings. He is terrified of what will happen to his already struggling cult within the city if its high priest is revealed as a mutant, even if he turned himself in to face 'justice'. He is slowly going mad from shame and stress, and his servant is running out of reasons why the High Priest is missing services. They both desperately need the help of a trustworthy group of adventurers, to either find a cure for the High Priest's mutations or at least help him get out of the city unseen.

The Bleakness is an eastern plot that used to be a common ground for the city. It was used to bury the poor and the nameless, and to produce fodder for animals. Since the sack, nothing grows there, and the ancient dead sometimes rise up from the soil. No-one is certain why this one part of the city produces undeath, given that that is hardly normal behavior for Chaos magic. A mystery for PCs to solve, and a good place for them to fight some zombies, but otherwise not very interesting.

Given the Bleakness, Praag has begun to cremate its dead at a great Furnace that used to be used to cast iron tools. The ironmongers have turned their trade to undertaking, and to battling the undead when they show up within the city (possibly due to the infestation of vampires more than the Chaos magic, but most locals don't know the difference). It's their job to get corpses into the furnace to render them to restful ash, and they don't care if the stupid thing resists on the way. With the city watch notoriously corrupt and lazy, the undertakers have been looking for help with their business; their forge-hammers can only do so much. Adventurers, especially adventurers with links to any of the vampire hunting groups in the setting, would be very welcome here.

Salyak's Arms used to be an inn. A very big inn, too. A young noble who inherited the place decided to instead donate it to the Cult of Salyak (Shallya), who turned it into a halfway house and hospital for the people of the city. What were once common rooms and beds for wealthy merchants have become a refuge for the poor, the destitute, the orphaned, and the sick. The square near the Arms is also used as the city's one commoner court, for those seeking justice that doesn't involve the nobility. People joke that the Arms are the only place you'll find mercy and justice in abundance anywhere in Praag.

Finally, there's an Ogre quarter, for when these huge beings come around as caravan guards (or less often, merchants. Likely merchants selling things they looted from other caravans that did not have ogre 'merchants'). Ogres don't take well to city life, being creatures that prefer simple pleasures like eating, fighting, and yelling as loudly as possible (this is how they make music). City life doesn't take well to ogres, either, and so most people leave them to their tiny section of the city and try not to bother them. Within the quarter, the most famous resident is Butcher Bigfeast (Ogre names tend to emphasize things like bigness, eating, wealth, or smashing), who runs a massive dining hall (and given he's a Butcher, while they don't mention it here, that would also make him an ogre holy man and this a temple) for his brethern alongside an entire clan of halflings. I always kind of wish more was done with the ogres, because I don't see much reason they *couldn't* be PCs besides the obvious (they're enormous and extremely strong); they're not inherently evil, just inherently hungry.

All in all, Praag's concept is good, and it's full of scary things for PCs to delve into or fight, but I feel like it didn't have nearly as many plot hooks or little stories woven into the places of the city. It's a fun cursed place for PCs to go, given it's the one 'cursed' land that is actively trying to resist its cursed nature, but they could have done so much more with it being the end of the Warhammer Silk Road equivalent. This would've been a great place to put in a little more about the far-flung places they trade with.

Next: Kislev, the Actual City of Kislev and center of Kislev.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Mors Rattus posted:

Dutch from Black Lagoon. Big black guy, probably drafted, is likely going to do some crimes or desert in such a way that he can never go back to America.

"We should let the people have proper democratic elections, and if they choose communism it's their right."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

GimpInBlack posted:

I was gonna use Frank to show that off, since canonically he's a USMC sniper (according to Wikipedia), but we can do an ARVN intel officer too.

EDIT: One of the rules regarding interactions in this game is the enforcement of a hard language barrier--no character can be fluent in both English (or other FWF languages) and Vietnamese (or indigenous languages). So our ARVN Intel officer will be able to talk to the locals, but will have to get by with an English phrasebook and a smattering of common words to talk to the rest of the squad. We'll talk more about why that is later in the write-up, but it's more than just enforcing a sense of isolation and frustration.

Oh, that sounds like an interesting rule. And now I'm suddenly imagining Mr. ARVN trying to talk to the rest of the squad in Vietnamese, then Vietnamese French, before tooth-grindingly reducing himself to swear words, waving his phrasebook around, and repeating the stupid GI pidgin Vietnamese back at them. If the mechanics are good I might have to pick this up...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

"We should let the people have proper democratic elections, and if they choose communism it's their right."

well, that and he probably shot a racist squaddie

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A ROK Army grunt who is considering going AWOL over to the side that isn't full of people calling him a gook.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Well, you can forget about that plush job in Chile.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Night10194 posted:

Warhammer Fantasy: Realm of the Ice Queen

The Defenestration of Praag

Undead-fighting blacksmiths sound awesome. Almost feels like Blacksmith of Praag should be a career in the book, because it feels like a badass variant on the normal undead-slayers. Or presumably you could pick one of those and fluff it to be a Praag blacksmith.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One interesting thing about Undead and Chaos opposing each other: PCs and wizards and Hunters might know about that, but almost no-one else does. Most folk think 'evil magic' is all Chaos. Vampires must be some other, weird form of Chaos mutant. That kind of thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

GimpInBlack posted:

Well, I haven't been around here in a while, but hey, I found this pretty cool game the other day and I figured I'd share it with you goons. So grab your M16, put some Creedence on the 8-track, and get to the chopper, because we're going to Viet-fuckin'-nam in...

The Recon influence is pretty flagrant in how the MOS and alignments work, but I see they cut some of the more problematic alignments like pacifist or... whatever the sociopathic alignment was. It's actually a game worth drawing some inspiration from, given it was actually pretty groundbreaking for 1982 - it has really trimmed down character generation because it was originally a minis game, but it also works well in the sense that when you lose a character because of a mine or bad ambush, you don't have to spend a lot of time creating your next grunt. It's a really swingy game but that fits the theme well enough, too. It's got a lot of old-school issues but it's one of Palladium's best-designed games... because Palladium didn't design it. (They just bought the rights to it.)

Also has like two pages of fiction on how to dig the perfect foxhole which is certainly a thing you can include in a game book.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If ever there was a setting where accepting you might suddenly, inexplicably lose a PC with no narrative buildup or dramatic reasoning behind it fit, it'd be a game about wandering around Vietnam trying not to die or warcrime too hard.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I dunno, Nam'40k: warcrime harder has some fun & amusements.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am imagining people turning the old palace of Praag into some kind of Burning Man, where you set up poo poo you want to eventually burn and race to get it up before it catches fire while drinking and partying voluminously. Effigies of hated figures, offerings to Dazh... You could have an adventure about the maneuvering of religious and political travails in trying to reclaim something from chaos.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

As promised, here's the full text of the alignment descriptions from the chargen section:

PATROL posted:

Idealistic
Devoted to All
Idealistic characters are morally upstanding, conscientious people. They hate war, have little desire to hurt anyone, and would rather help the locals where they can. They are the bleeding hearts and fools who endanger the squad with their sentiment.

Pragmatic
Devoted to Friends
Pragmatic characters just want to do their job and go home. They fight because they have orders and they want to protect their friends. They are the uneager, soft followers who are losing us this war.

Righteous
Devoted to the Cause
Righteous characters believe in the Cause and will die to advance it. They fight because they believe the war is just, God is on their side, and their enemies are monsters. They are the idiotic blowhards who are squandering everything we have built.

Egocentric
Devoted to Self
Egocentric characters want to survive and get ahead by any means necessary. They only look out for themselves and work with the squad only to increase their odds. They are the backstabbing sociopaths that make things miserable for everyone.

It's a little weird in that it's I think the only place the book shifts into a quasi-in-character voice, but I like it as a hint for how antagonistic characters might react to the PCs.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's got a lot of old-school issues but it's one of Palladium's best-designed games... because Palladium didn't design it. (They just bought the rights to it.)

Isn't it also the reason like every subsequent Palladium RPG's equipment section was chock-a-block with Vietnam era military hardware? Because they had the art and by God they were gonna use it?

Anyways, I'm not super familiar with Recon, though I think the first edition rules are free online. I should probably check that out.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 25, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
PATROL is starting to look to me like a near-perfect melding of narrative and tactical mechanics. GIB, did the prospect of reverse-engineering it for use in a FANTASY loving VIETNAM D&D milieu ever occur to you as you were reading it?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

PATROL is starting to look to me like a near-perfect melding of narrative and tactical mechanics. GIB, did the prospect of reverse-engineering it for use in a FANTASY loving VIETNAM D&D milieu ever occur to you as you were reading it?

Not only did it occur to me, it occured to the author. :) I didn't mention it in the review because it was already getting long, but a bunch of the MOSs are explicitly compared to D&D classes, and she's posted about wanting to do a fantasy hack at some point. I think if you like Torchbearer, you'd dig a fantasy PATROL.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GimpInBlack posted:

Not only did it occur to me, it occured to the author. :) I didn't mention it in the review because it was already getting long, but a bunch of the MOSs are explicitly compared to D&D classes, and she's posted about wanting to do a fantasy hack at some point. I think if you like Torchbearer, you'd dig a fantasy PATROL.

I keep hearing decent things about Torchbearer. I should really look into it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

GimpInBlack posted:

Isn't it also the reason like every subsequent Palladium RPG's equipment section was chock-a-block with Vietnam era military hardware? Because they had the art and by God they were gonna use it?

Pretty much, also why their skill system is loaded down with three or four skills just for radio usage, why there's a skill for making bombs and another for defusing them, etc. About half the skill bloat in Palladium was probably inspired by Recon. And Recon can be pretty bad about skill bloat, particularly in the mercenary expansion, with skills like Ride Donkey, Snow Shoes, and Identify Mirage. Or two different skills for driving tow subs (one for a single-person version, and another skill for a two-person tow sub).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

A ROK Army grunt who is considering going AWOL over to the side that isn't full of people calling him a gook.

"My malevolent dictator isn't getting paid enough for me to put up with this poo poo."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PATROL is great. Erika put a ton of effort into giving it a tone that's a mix of period-appropriate military posturing and sombre retrospection, and the book is a delightful read.

Full disclosure: I am credited in the front of them book and am a co-writer of the Bush Wars expansion. :keke:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

PATROL is great. Erika put a ton of effort into giving it a tone that's a mix of period-appropriate military posturing and sombre retrospection, and the book is a delightful read.

Full disclosure: I am credited in the front of them book and am a co-writer of the Bush Wars expansion. :keke:

Awesome! I'm very much looking forward to that one. And yeah, the tone of the writing is spot on. I can't wait till I get to talk about the second half of the book in particular.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

"My malevolent dictator isn't getting paid enough for me to put up with this poo poo."
Well, Vietnam and Korea are two vastly different countries. Vietnam is a nation with a long history of vassaldom, artificially split into two sovereign states along a north/south divide, ruled by dictators propped up by capitalist and communist powers. Whereas Korea is

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, Vietnam and Korea are two vastly different countries. Vietnam is a nation with a long history of vassaldom, artificially split into two sovereign states along a north/south divide, ruled by dictators propped up by capitalist and communist powers. Whereas Korea is

Still like that while Vietnam has at least reunified? And was North Vietnam that propped up or more just supported?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Chapter 4: Arcana - Diabolism Arcane FX

Up next, arcane spell casting! Dark*Matter arbitrarily decides that there's 3 major schools of magic that all arcane spell casters can learn - Diabolism (bad guy torture-porn spells), Enochian (altruistic mystical spirit mojo), and Hermetic (D&D style spell book wizards with a heavy focus on transmutation).

Arcane spell casting works similar to manifesting Psychic powers in that it requires a hero to spend FX Points while attempting to cast a spell, and any hero that knows how to cast Arcane spells automatically starts with an FX Point pool with 5 FX Points. Players can also buy up to 5 additional FX Points either at creation or as they advance, which puts them at parity with the theoretical maximum number of Psychic Points a Mindwalker could have. The main difference is that any hero that learns Arcane spell casting can reach a maximum of 10 FX Points with no other restrictions, whereas your average Mindwalker is going to start with 3 or 4 Psychic Points and will then max out at 6 or 7 total Psychic Points even after purchasing all upgrades.

Diabolism is focused around summoning and binding supernatural creatures of malevolent intent (the book suggests that we just call them Demons) and every spell requires the spell caster to make some kind of sacrifice. Diabolism is the easiest school of magic to learn because it's all about bargaining with Demons for greater power, but Demons are antagonistic towards mankind and will only help you insofar as you can threaten them or bargain with them or coerce them into cooperating. To keep Demons from completely loving you over, you have to make a blood sacrifice proportional to the complexity of the spell you're trying to cast - Marginal/Ordinary/Good/Amazing spells require that you sacrifice a point of Stun/Wound/Fatigue/Mortal damage as payment. You can voluntarily sacrifice more blood of the same quality, or make a single higher quality sacrifice, to get a bonus to your spell casting roll, and likewise you can try and spend less blood, or offer a lower quality sacrifice, to cast a spell but you'll incur a proportionate penalty to your spell casting roll. Also, the blood that you sacrifice doesn't have to be your own, or even from a willing participant, as long as the sacrifice is performed as a ritual. You can either set up an elaborate ritual altar upon which to make sacrifices, or just create a symbolic ritual weapon that you only use to hurt other people to draw out blood sacrifices. If you're sacrificing your own blood, you don't have to bother with either of these steps. Oh, and Diabolism spells also all have special gently caress You results if you roll a Critical Failure (natural 20) on your spell casting check because Demons are evil and capricious and love poorly designed and implemented systems.

So, what kind of spells can you cast with all of this exsanguinated effort? Glad you asked!

Just in case it was unclear that you have to be evil with a capital 'E' to cast Diabolism spells.

Willpower: Diabolism - Black Warding is evil Mage Armor, except worse, because every time you are successfully attacked you have to make a Willpower: Resolve - Physical Resolve skill check or else the spell is completely wasted. Didn't invest any points in a skill that's otherwise totally unrelated for your evil wizard? Too loving bad!
Critical Fail: You suffer a penalty to your armor and resistances until you spend a full round standing in natural sunlight.

Willpower: Diabolism - Hellfire is your basic single target direct damage spell. It functions almost identically to Pyrokinesis, except that this attack can deal mortal damage on an amazing success while Pyrokinesis cannot, which makes Hellfire automatically 100% better than Pyrokinesis.
Critical Fail: Whoops! You take damage from the spell as if you rolled an ordinary success.

Willpower: Diabolism - Rend the Weave lets you counter other spells or disenchant on-going effects. You can automatically counter or disenchant your own spells with this spell, and it also takes a penalty if you try to use it to counter or disenchant spells from either the Enochian arcane school or the Monotheism divine school (because those are the good guy spell schools and you are the bad guy spell caster do you realize that yet).
Critical Fail: You automatically counter or disenchant any of your spells that you have cast upon yourself and you also have to spend 1 additional FX Point.

In case we have been too subtle, have you considered that Diabolists are bad guys? Think about it!

Personality: Diabolism - Binding attempts to force a Demon to follow a command that you give it. You have to ritually prepare a binding circle that is symbolic of the Demon you're trying to bind. Once summoned, you can try to force the Demon to complete some finite task for you, with more powerful Demons being capable of comparatively more effort. The Demon is allowed to resist with Willpower: Resolve - Mental Resolve and assuming your first attempt to convince the demon is unsuccessful, you can retry once a week. The demon is bound to the mystic circle for the entire week (provided the circle isn't disturbed) and has a cumulative +1 weekly penalty for every week that it resists your commands. Of course, if you ask it to do something it wanted to do anyway (something EEEEEVIL perhaps) it can just agree to do your bidding without spending weeks negotiating about it. The spell also says that it can be cast - with a penalty - against any demon that hasn't been summoned within a ritually prepared binding circle and if you succeed then the demon still gets trapped within the current spatial locality and their ability to resist your commands accrues a cumulative penalty each day instead of each week.
Critical Fail: You can never effect that specific Demon with any Diabolism spells ever again.

Personality: Diabolism - Command is evil Charm Person. You can give anyone within range of your voice a command and compel them to follow it. The command has to be communicated in 12 words or less, cannot require and action with a duration longer than 10 minutes, and you must share a language with the target. Commands that would force the target to hurt themselves or an ally also give the target a bonus to resist the command.
Critical Fail: You can't ever affect that specific target with the Command spell ever again.

Personality: Diabolism - Spirit Wrack compliments Binding by causing the targeted Demon intense pain, giving it a large penalty to every action it takes. Spirit Wrack doesn't have to be cast upon a bound demon, but the spell typically requires that you know in advance the nature of the Demon you're going to cast Spirit Wrack upon, and if you shoot from the hip and cast this on a Demon without the necessary preparation, the quality of the effect is greatly reduced. Casting Spirit Wrack on a Demon that you have previously Bound also makes it much more likely to agree to your terms; however, this also gives you infamy among the rest of the Infernal Legion and makes it less likely that future Demons will answer your summons, and you might wind-up at the top of an infernal hit list if you pull this stunt too many times, or on too powerful a Demon.
Critical Fail: If the Demon is bound, it gets a free attempt to break the binding with a -1 bonus. If the Demon isn't bound, it gets a -1 bonus to any actions it takes against the spell caster until the encounter ends.

Personality: Diabolism - Summoning brings a Demon into the material world so that you can begin the whole process of bargaining with it. Summoning just brings the Demon into earth-space but doesn't give the Demon any obligation to help you or listen to you or even not to attack you, so you better either have a pleasing sacrifice ready and waiting, or else have prepared some of the other spells that let you force it to bend to your will.
Critical Fail: The Demon you were trying to summon knows that you botched the attempt and can respond however it likes; it could just ignore you, or it might be curious about what you were trying to do and appear anyway, or it might be pissed off at your clumsiness and show up to murder you. For one week, any actions taken against you by the target Demon or any of its minions get a -1 bonus.

Personality: Diabolism - Tongue of the Damned says it straight up copies the effects of any one psychic skill chosen from Clairaudience, Clairvoyance, Postcognition, Precognition, Psycholocation, or Psychometry. Essentially, you ask a Demon any question that could be answered using one of those skills and the Demon responds with a degree of accuracy and truthfulness based on the quality of your success. You can cast this spell without making a sacrifice if you utilize a Ouija board or some other type of mystical communication device, but the quality of the response diminishes. Wowza, one Diabolism spell replicates 6 Psychic specialty skills, when any single psychic hero could only ever learn any two of those skills. Game balance!
Critical Fail: The Demon gets pissy like with a failed Summoning spell and might pull a poltergeist routine or attempt to possess the spell caster or do some other sophomoric poo poo.

Next time: Enochian wizards are powered by vows of honor and can fall, like paladins, if they have to break a vow for any reason!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

It was a more a reference to the Park administration sending troops to Vietnam because the US government paid them to do so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kavak posted:

Still like that while Vietnam has at least reunified? And was North Vietnam that propped up or more just supported?
I was just going for the plonky joke and I don't know much about Vietnam, but I don't believe so. Whereas North Korea carefully positioned itself between China and the Soviet Union while also striving to present itself in a good light to the Non-Aligned Movement and American liberals, Vietnam antagonized China in such a way that forced them to rely heavily on the Soviets. However, they more-or-less managed the transition to a more liberal economy whereas the DPRK's economy is still a weird joke about a communist, a capitalist, and a gangster walking into a bar.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think it's kind unfair to say that Vietnam antagonized China given that China has been imperializing on Vietnam since before the concept of states properly existed. In the same way that I wouldn't say Poland antagonized Russia during the interbellum period.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My first thought when reading Dark*Matter's magic system was 'you know, CTech does this better because at least there you don't have to level up every spell/parapsychic skill individually'.

That's probably not a good place for Dark*Matter to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I love spending large amounts of pagespace on a magic system that is positioned for players to take but which is written in such a way that no player will ever take it outside of a Let's Play The Villains game.