Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TFRazorsaw posted:

and the Cogs from that Toontown game.

Wow they are really willing to go to obscure places for their little inside jokes. I love this.

VVV Well, yeah. That's the step.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did someone grab a picture of gyros Good-Bad list? I'm pretty sure the time tub was on that. (It gained sentience.)

Also it's probably a good thing that Scrooge doesn't fire him. He's like one step away from becoming a manic super villain.

I'm pretty sure he is going full supervillain judging by how he was talking about the Gizmoduck suit.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't know how to make gifs, sorry.

Did someone grab a picture of gyros Good-Bad list? I'm pretty sure the time tub was on that. (It gained sentience.)

This I can do, though.

Cogs - Not sure about this one.

Armstrong - "Armstrong is introduced as Gyro's latest invention. He is helpful for a while, until he takes over Launchpad and Duckworth's jobs. Then he turns bad, steals Scrooge's money and holds him and Gyro hostage. He was defeated when water from Launchpad's plane was dumped on him, killing him."

Timetub - Time machine

Robotica - "After Bentina Beakley goes to Scrooge McDuck to complain that she is being overworked, Gyro takes it upon himself to create a robotic maid to assist her. Named Robotica, the maid makes a poor first impression when her callous personality scares the children."

In terms of other Gyro inventions that turned evil in the original show, there was also GICU2, a car/robot that was tried before Gizmoduck and was rejected because it kept everyone out of the Moneybin, including Scrooge.

Gyro... Gyro does not have a good history with AI.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 24, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I missed Scrooge for these 2 episodes but it was great to see the kids just being kids :) Poor Louie, he put all that work in for a fake dime and didn't learn a thing.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TFRazorsaw posted:

Uh, do you have a link to where that's from?

it's from Frank's tumblr

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Also it's probably a good thing that Scrooge doesn't fire him. He's like one step away from becoming a manic super villain.

Scrooge flat-out told the vultures that was basically the reason he kept Gyro working for him.

Edit:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 24, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
:smugjones: "That idiot is gonna get himself killed" :smug:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also Webby getting excited at a dog with a bowtie, while in a bus filled with dogs wearing clothes, reading books, and driving the bus?
The joke being that she's pulling on the ears of the dog driving the bus while she says it.

Pakled posted:

I was 100% sure the payoff from that joke was going to be a shot of Goofy walking down the street.
Just rewatched A Goofy Movie recently. I'm now expecting Max to appear at some point as the boyfriend of the Roxanne look-alike. Even if the animation styles of the two shows couldn't be any more different.

Bobulus posted:

Dawson - Site of Scrooge's first riches, per the comics. Also where he met Goldie. I believe he also opened his first bank there to loan miners money?
He bought the bank that was there. It was his first business, the very start of his empire. Before that, he made money by selling stuff he found/raised by himself.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 24, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Surprised that Scrooge specifically called the Number One Dime his 'Lucky Dime'. I suspect Don Rosa might have opinions in that regard.

I wonder if Donald's more laid back attitude to safety (with all those generators for one thing) in Daytrip of Doom is because the triplets aren't around/living in the boat and for the first time in a long time he doesn't have to be worrying about them all of the time?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Gyro's list deserves a gif.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Yvonmukluk posted:

Surprised that Scrooge specifically called the Number One Dime his 'Lucky Dime'. I suspect Don Rosa might have opinions in that regard.

I wonder if Donald's more laid back attitude to safety (with all those generators for one thing) in Daytrip of Doom is because the triplets aren't around/living in the boat and for the first time in a long time he doesn't have to be worrying about them all of the time?

I was also surprised that they didn't mention the real reason why Scrooge kept the dime-American money was worthless in Scotland, and he kept it out of spite and as a reminder to never get swindled again.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sure not having to worry about the boys was part of it, but I would chalk most of it up to Duck/McDuck temper and pride.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

kidcoelacanth posted:

Please somebody gif this bit thank you

DONE

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

You are a saint

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of gifs, I appreciate that new DuckTales Donald can actually hold his own in a fight, even if it's a scrawny, scrappy sort of way. He just needs to get his anger up.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the way Donald regularly solves his problems is why he insists his nephews put on heavy safety gear. Both because he tends to think they would solve problems with the same "get angry and make everything worse" approach and because he's aware of how much collateral damage he causes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Between the electrical generators and the stapler in the premiere, the self-inflicted physical comedy with Donald has been great.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Donald pausing his rage-off to gently tilt the picture on the wall kills me every time

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I, uh, wasn't expecting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KYM4EN8otk

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I didn't realize he straightened it. I thought he paused mid-tantrum to read it and it just made him even angrier. :downs:

I also think the dog lady that keeps showing up is Roxanne's mom since she seems to be an adult, not a teenager. Also, Roxanne was really bubbly and outgoing in the Goofy Movie, not :stare:.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like his explanation for why they changed Burger's design:

quote:

There were a few characters in the original series whose main reason for existing was to be the butt of fat jokes. Either characters were made fun of by other characters for it or their constant eating/food references were made for the audience to laugh at. This was the style of the time; a lot of shows did it. I totally get it and understand why people made those choices.

It’s also mean-spirited bullying that has no place on our version of the show. Not only wouldn’t we do it, but Disney would never allow it these days. Rather than throw the characters out entirely, we wanted to play with them, find new things for them to do. For Burger, we pushed him in the totally opposite direction.

And, as with too many things, I have a backstory reason as to why he’s rail thin and his nickname is Burger and why he doesn’t talk. It’s not a huge mystery but an interesting “Tale of the Beagle Boys” story that I may be able to tell somewhere some day.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I didn't realize he straightened it. I thought he paused mid-tantrum to read it and it just made him even angrier. :downs:

He didn't straighten it. He tilted it, gently, making the action even sillier.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
He wanted to mess it up without breaking it. Lawful Good Donald Duck.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the fence on this interpretation of Quackfaster.

It's not a "lucky dime." It's his Number One Dime. This has been addressed on numerous occasions and I wish to cancel my subscription to your zine.
:goonsay:

Other than that, this show is phenomenal.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I really liked how Scrooge gave the decoy dime to Louie at the end of The Great Dime Chase. It also figures that he wouldn't hold onto it. It reminds me of the time I stood in line at the bank for 30 minutes to try to collect a Kennedy half dollar, put it in the place where I keep the coins I use for bus fare, then accidentally spent it on the way home

Stitched together version of the pan through the Della section of the library from the end

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 25, 2017

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Webby really rules and Beakley saying "Maybe that idiot will kill himself" and then happily going "Hm!" was great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Third episode especially seems to show they're de-emphasising Scrooge's cheapness in favour of his adventurous spirit (Just as well, because stingy rich has become a LOT less sympathetic in the last decade) and using that to set up a lot of adventure hooks. Scrooge seems to hire entertaining, competent lunatics possibly to amuse himself, especially when every drive with Launchpad is an adventure.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm thinking they're focusing too much on downtime chaos and mystery building than getting a few more adventures or discoveries in. Show's not terrible for what they've done as its okay to introduce us to sociopath gyro, I just feel like they should have had a few more treks into the unknown or found a few more treasures before they have episodes where the kids just want to chill because they've been world traveling like three weeks straight or something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Scrooge seems to hire entertaining, competent lunatics possibly to amuse himself.

And to keep them out of trouble. I like the notion that, after years of fighting off a steady stream of lunatics, crazy cultists, and cunning burglars Scooge decided that it's much easier to find them early and pay them a regular salary while keeping them somewhere contained. Sort of like the Wizards in Discworld.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... yeah, calling Gyro a sociopath is a bit much, even for how meaningless that is to begin with.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The whole OBEY YOUR MASTERS commands to his robots and contempt he clearly has for everyone that isn't smart or paying him doesn't paint this Gyro as a kind duck, but fine. Mechanically adept jerk.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Got to the episodes, and I loved it! :swoon:

My favorite bits were Ma Beagle's general air of "I'm too old for this poo poo" and telling her boys that Scrooge isn't the type to pay ransoms, and seeing kid Scrooge in the flashback and being reminded of The Life and Times.

eatenmyeyes posted:

It's not a "lucky dime." It's his Number One Dime. This has been addressed on numerous occasions and I wish to cancel my subscription to your zine.
:goonsay:

Clearly this is just another test to weed out the idiots and the one who knows better will be declared the true heir of Clan McDuck. :eng101:

Bobulus posted:

Speaking of gifs, I appreciate that new DuckTales Donald can actually hold his own in a fight, even if it's a scrawny, scrappy sort of way. He just needs to get his anger up.

I really love how Donald is animated as a smear in the second gif to show off how fast he's moving. Seeing this really makes me hope they'll have an episode where Donald hangs out with his fellow Caballeros. :3:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I really love how Donald is animated as a smear in the second gif to show off how fast he's moving. Seeing this really makes me hope they'll have an episode where Donald hangs out with his fellow Caballeros. :3:

If I had to guess when that would be, I'd say it'd probably involve a bit of Donald's backstory. Either before he joined up wit Scrooge or not too long after he split off and before taking care of the boys.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

On that note, they did good by having the trigger for Donald's first berserker rage be a bout of paternal instinct. Traditionally his outburst got set off by stuff that's a lot less sympathetic in a modern context, like frustration or jealousy. As with Scrooge being less of a miser, it's a solid character update.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
some people in the /co/ threads pointed out that Gyro's characterization isn't as much of a drastic change if you take into account moments in some of his earliest appearances

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I kind of like Gladstone going pretty "Yay free pogostick and Cream."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 25, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's of note that the Beagle Boys are now some kind of southern accent when they used to some kind of northeastern accent before. I guess that's part of making them more threatening and less cartoony?

Does the way that all those triangular duck tongues just hang there bug anyone else, or is that just me?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's of note that the Beagle Boys are now some kind of southern accent when they used to some kind of northeastern accent before. I guess that's part of making them more threatening and less cartoony?

They're originally from New Orleans in the comics, aren't they?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They had sort of a generic wise guy/Joe Pesci-esque accent in the old cartoon and Burger sounded like Curly from the Three Stooges.

They might also be changing the accents to further distance the show from the first one or to play up their homage to outlaw crime families like the Daltons and Ma Barker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

They're already laying the groundwork for Gizmoduck as well, with Gyro making him his next project at the end of the episode.