Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
lmao muffin is gonna wake up and be like "noooo wait i was the dr...."

but yeah, kill me, then investigate QPQ. If he's innocent, kill exmond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sitting Here posted:

vote me, but the cop should investigate QPQ asap

Both you and Exmond falling on you swords, idk, someone is gambiting, but you voted for the doc and didn't vote for the scum, so

##vote sitting here

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

T-Rex's surviving because scum had already voted for him makes the most sense to me. If Exmond was scum, I think he would have hammered and not drawn attention to the situation.

##vote: sittinghere

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

##vote Exmond

Bold it and yeah, just stick to the math and we win

In order for this to work we NEED TO HAVE 5 PEOPLE LEFT. EVEN IF THE MAFIA DOESNT KILL WE DELAY AND COP CAN CONTINUE TO INVESTIGATE, ITS WIN WIN

SItting-here please vote for me.

Round B:
7 people left
Thran, T-rex,yronic
4 suspicious
yronic investigates Friendly A
T-Rex protects yronic
Mafia kills T-Rex

Round C:
5 people left
Thran,yronic, Friendly A
2 suspicious
Mafia kills yronic

Round D:
3 people left
Thran, Friendly A
WIN

If someone claims to be another cop, simply do this

Round C:
Kill Copper #1

Round D:
Kill Copper #2

If Mafia kills thran then

Round B:
7 people left
Thran, T-rex,yronic
4 suspicious
yronic investigates Friendly A
T-Rex protects yronic
Mafia kills T-Rex

Round C:
5 people left
T-Rex ,yronic, Friendly A
2 suspicious
Mafia kills T-Rex
Yronic investigates Friendly B

Round D:
3 people left
Yronic, Friendly A, Friendly B
WIN

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

votefinder doesn't detect sh without a space

##unvote

##vote: sitting here

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Both you and Exmond falling on you swords, idk, someone is gambiting, but you voted for the doc and didn't vote for the scum, so

##vote sitting here

if exmond is scum and i die, this gambit will have worked out for him

which IMO means you should still kill me because that would be very telling. But yeah atp I'm pretty sure it's him or QPQ (unless muffin shows up with game-changing info)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Exmond posted:

Bold it and yeah, just stick to the math and we win

In order for this to work we NEED TO HAVE 5 PEOPLE LEFT. EVEN IF THE MAFIA DOESNT KILL WE DELAY AND COP CAN CONTINUE TO INVESTIGATE, ITS WIN WIN

SItting-here please vote for me.

No. Absolutely not. Under no circumstances.

There is no reality in which I play along with this instead of playing the actual goddamn game

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sitting Here posted:

lmao muffin is gonna wake up and be like "noooo wait i was the dr...."

but yeah, kill me, then investigate QPQ. If he's innocent, kill exmond

Sniffle, say sorry to sebmojo for me. HE DID THE RIGHT THING IN THE END. Yronic, please investigate QPQ and Ill die next round if he's innocent.

##unvote

##vote: sitting here

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:hammer:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

poo poo

:redhammer:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
go town

trust no one

it's been fun, i'm hooked!

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Goodnight brave adventurer

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:hb: Final Votecount for Day 2 :hb:

Sitting Here (4): Sitting Here, yronic heroism, QuoProQuid, QuoProQuid, QuoProQuid, Exmond
Exmond (1): yronic heroism, yronic heroism, Exmond, Tyrannosaurus, Exmond
Tyrannosaurus (1): QuoProQuid, Sitting Here, Thranguy, QuoProQuid, Sitting Here
QuoProQuid (0): Tyrannosaurus, Tyrannosaurus

Not Voting (1): SurreptitiousMuffin

With 7 people still trapped in the library, it took 4 votes to execute someone.

~~~

Out of nowhere, the tension reached a peak. One of the attendees shoved a stale croissant in their mouth, before proclaiming (with an accompanying shower of crumbs) that they were going to try and escape today - no matter what! Bulling through the inevitable disagreements and arguments that came up, they managed to bully a few others into reluctant assistance. With their help, the aspiring escapee built a rickety tower of tables and chairs alongside one of the tall mist-shrouded windows. Scaling the unsteady pile, the escapee saluted the rest of the group before leaping towards the window with a wild cry!

With a tinkling crash, the window shattered under the impact, and the escapee sailed out into the choking mists - immediately vanishing from view. The others crowded around the base of the broken window, broken glass crunching under their shoes. They could see nothing of what lay beyond the twinkling fog, though it seemed reluctant to flow into the library. After a few heart-pounding moments of silence, they heard the escapee's voice from beyond the window - first a shout of victory, and then cursing over some cuts and bruises. A sigh of relief swept through the onlookers - perhaps an escape WAS really possible. They could all get out of here safe and sound!

That hope died the moment the agonized screams began.

quote:

Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on. - Louis L'Amour
:rip: Sitting Here, Aspiring Western Author, Town-Aligned Vanilla, was executed on Day 2! :rip:

Night 2 begins now. You have ~20 hours to get me night actions (before 12 PM [noon] EDT tomorrow). The thread will reopen shortly thereafter.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You pass another restless night in the library, with your own fate weighing heavily upon your mind. You've already seen enough death to last you a lifetime - but will there be more horrors awaiting you tomorrow?

The alternative, of course, is that you won't live to see the next day. Would that be preferable?

~~~

Raucous laughter woke the survivors from what could barely be called 'slumber.' Hastily assembling around the tableful of rock-hard pastries and scummy coffee, they quickly confirmed that someone was, once again, missing - surely the source of the laughter. But what could possibly be so funny, in a place like this?

They found the missing person chained to a chair, with one last gasped chuckle escaping their now-lifeless lips. Piled around them were dusty jokebooks - clearly untouched for years on end. Someone had certainly gotten the last laugh, but it wasn't this poor soul.

quote:

There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature. - P. G. Wodehouse
:rip: Tyrannosaurus, Aspiring Comedy Author, Town-Aligned Doctor, was killed on Night 2! :rip:

Day 3 starts now. Deadline is Tuesday 26-SEP at 7:30 PM EDT.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:hb: Votecount for Day 3 :hb:

Not Voting (5): Exmond, QuoProQuid, SurreptitiousMuffin, Thranguy, yronic heroism

With 5 people still trapped in the library, it takes 3 votes to execute someone.
The current deadline is September 26th, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 5 hours.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Yronic how did the investigation go?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
here is the current MATH:

Round C:
5 people left
Not Suspicious: Thran,yronic, Friendly A
2 suspicious
Exmond is lynched
Mafia kills yronic

Round D:
3 people left
Thran, Friendly A
WIN

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So what do we know? (If QPQ came up clean, I read muffin slightly scummier than ex right now. Not that it matters other than day count bragging rights.)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Barring some failure of imagination on my part, it is almost certainly Edmond or Muffin.. I lean toward the former and think my gut reaction to Exmond's opening was probably the right one.

I will also do almost anything to get rid of the maths posts that I apparently helped usher into existence.

Not dropping vote until I get home to avoid an accidental hammer

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

QuoProQuid posted:

Barring some failure of imagination on my part, it is almost certainly Edmond or Muffin.. I lean toward the former and think my gut reaction to Exmond's opening was probably the right one.

I will also do almost anything to get rid of the maths posts that I apparently helped usher into existence.

Not dropping vote until I get home to avoid an accidental hammer

See Math is the way to go here though. I've proven we have won. I could see if we were playing a variant or didn't know the setup that going the "math" way would be terrible but in this case, it's working out.

Why are you so against this method QPQ? Did it not work out in another of your games?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The only other scenarios are your investigation comes up scum or Muffin shows up and late-counterclaims cop, and they both play out in a straightforward manner.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I am fine with using revealed information to inform decision making. I start to have problems when people try to use revealed information to game the system, reducing a game about intrigue and suspicion into a low-stakes version of Moneyball.

It is cool to use math as a supplement but it should not replace the game itself.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Also, it tends to be a Mafia tactic because it let's them post without indicating their suspicions.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

QuoProQuid posted:

Also, it tends to be a Mafia tactic because it let's them post without indicating their suspicions.

I think you need to realize you are playing with new players. I'll be honest this game has been a bit stressful with various players saying "you don't play that way!!!"

Either way we wait for yronic.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Exmond posted:

Yronic how did the investigation go?

I investigated muffin mostly because I figured there was no chance of them being targeted by scum, which would make my action pointless.

Muffin is SCUM.

##vote SurreptitiousMuffin

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

yronic heroism posted:

I investigated muffin mostly because I figured there was no chance of them being targeted by scum, which would make my action pointless.

Muffin is SCUM.

HAH now I can prove I am innocent wooooooo!

I mean at this point the game is decided. Either Yronic is lying claiming to be cop and lasts another round, or Muffin is scum.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Exmond posted:

HAH now I can prove I am innocent wooooooo!

I mean at this point the game is decided. Either Yronic is lying claiming to be cop and lasts another round, or Muffin is scum.

God drat bold

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sorry for suspecting you exmond (and same for sitting here). Glad you didn't hammer the doc.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Wish we'd (self included) followed my morning two suspicion rather than going down the trex/math rathole that day now.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:hb: Votecount for Day 3 :hb:

SurreptitiousMuffin (3): yronic heroism, Exmond, Thranguy

Not Voting (2): QuoProQuid, SurreptitiousMuffin

With 5 people still trapped in the library, it takes 3 votes to execute someone.
The current deadline is September 26th, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 2 hours.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

:redhammer:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for the delay - I had this post all written up and ready to go at the end of my workday, but accidentally closed Chrome right before I posted it. Blech.

The declaration of guilt rang with finality, echoing throughout the library. The remaining survivors' eyes met, before turning to the accused. They took a hasty step back, and then another as the rest of the group advanced on them. Begging and pleading, they appealed to the others' better and baser inclinations alike. Promises of peer reviews for life, publishing contracts through an uncle's friend, and more - all of it proved ineffective against the others' slow advance. Finally, they turned on their heel and fled into the shadowy stacks with the others in hot pursuit.

When the executioners finally cornered their quarry some time later, he - she - it was no longer recognizable. Their face was twisted with hatred into an unrecognizable snarl, and their body had been warped and strained beyond any conceivable breaking point by the spectral wrath of its current inhabitant. He ranted at the assembled group with a torn and raspy voice - that they were ruining everything, that the work being created here was a perversion to the beautiful literary world he had put so much of himself into building and nurturing, and that all they had to do was stand aside and let him make things right.

...If there's one thing the aspiring authors had learned from their time in the Creative Convention, it was how to recognize overused villainous monologues. Their unflinching gazes left the twisted spirit cringing as his rant trailed off into nothing. Finally, he doubled over, cursing their names and spitting bile before tearing himself free of the scrap of flesh he had hidden away in this whole time. As the sad remains hit the ground with a wet splatter, the defeated spirit whirled itself away into nothingness with one final vow of vengeance.

quote:

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation. - Herman Melville
:ghost: SurreptitiousMuffin, Herman Melville's Ghost, Scum-Aligned Goon, was banished on Day 3! :ghost:

Bright rays of sunlight illuminated the stacks as the choking mists cleared from the library, revealing the outside world beyond. All the doors unlocked at once with a jangling clatter, and the way out was clear at last. The dark influence permeating the Creative Convention had finally been purged!

:siren: All threats to the Creative Convention have been defeated, and the game ends in a TOWN VICTORY! :siren:

Mod Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CXDsdbMjnYaOA-bhr3WWuOD1lGxZskiZqvi7n1doC7w/
Scum/Observer Chat (a good read!): https://discord.gg/WudKU4V

~~~

Well done to all the players, this was a really fun game to read! You did a great job and kept the participation rolling, which is the #1 most important thing to making a game of Mafia fun.

Special shout out to Muffin for keeping up the effort even in the face of adversity - losing the roleblocker day 1 in a 2-scum game hurts a lot, so props for not throwing in the towel.

I'd love to see you all play more Mafia, so here are a few useful links:
Mafia Discussion Thread - Shitposting with some game announcements mixed in.
Mafia New Game Announcement/Sandbox Thread - Most (but not quite all) new games get posted here, so bookmark this if you want to sign up!

There are also a few games recruiting players RIGHT NOW:
Attitude Era Mafia - Wrasslin' fun times all around
Habeas Corpses III - Courtroom Mafia with some really unique variant rules
Final Fantasy 6 - Part of an ongoing series, this game will be wacky and have lots of weird stuff going on

Again, thank you all for playing, and thanks to sebmojo for letting me run this game! I hope to see you in other Mafia games in the future. :)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Well that was disappointing. Beaten on basically a random hunch, without getting to respond because the entire third day happened while I was asleep IRL. :(

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Well that was disappointing. Beaten on basically a random hunch, without getting to respond because the entire third day happened while I was asleep IRL. :(

That does happen sometimes, unfortunately.

This was a great game, newbies! We all enjoyed watching it a lot :)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

you still did great though, Muffin! The spectators were all rooting for you

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I'm sorry for killing sitting here and almost killing T-Rex. I was distracted and didn't put in as much effort into cases D2 and D3 as I did D1. I let some of my frustrations get the better of me.

I wish the game had been more active, but it was fun.

gg everyone

Max
Nov 30, 2002

F that this was a great game.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Muffin, you had me fooled! Well done, Yronic. That was a good call.

Super fun, i'll probably do more of these soon

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Are we supposed to be able to see spectator chat? I can only see scum right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
this was a really fun read.

• Locked thread