Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

DOOM got a poo poo load of marketing. I think they just don't know what to do with Arkane games.

They didn't know what to do with DOOM either, and advertised it as a slow plodding shooter instead of RUN! RIP AND TEAR! SLAUGHTER ALL THOSE WHO ARE LOCKED IN A ROOM WITH YOU FOR YOU ARE THE DOOM MARINE, DEATH OF ALL THINGS! :unsmigghh::black101:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah it was incredible how wrongly they promoted that game. Right up until launch I thought it was a mediocre multiplayer focused FPS with the Doom name for no good reason.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where's the new doom single player content Bethesda :argh:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

who would win in a fight: The Doom Slayer or 10 Destiny Guardians

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Verisimilidude posted:

who would win in a fight: The Doom Slayer or 10 Destiny Guardians

Doomguy could kill the traveller no worries. The guardians couldn't respawn fast enough.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

DOOM got a poo poo load of marketing. I think they just don't know what to do with Arkane games.

Sabotage them until they have no place to go but getting absorbed entirely with all their IPs by Bethesda.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrLonghair posted:

Sabotage them until they have no place to go but getting absorbed entirely with all their IPs by Bethesda.

Actually it's more like "Hey, can we give you Arkane guys some money to slap the name "Prey" on a game (any game) you have cooking? Cool, your little 'Shocky' thing will do."

"That's our use of the Prey franchise sorted for the decade, lads. Lunch?"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There is only one thing I don't like about Doom and it's that the BFG feels really floaty and wimpy compared to just about everything else (even though it's not). I rarely used it as a result. I think it's something about the audio, I can't really put my finger on it, but it feels 'different' compared to something like the siege mode of the laser.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Would you rather fight 1 doom-sized guardian or 100 guardian-sized dooms

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bethesda's problem with doom wasn't that they didn't try to market it, it was that they marketed it so badly that some unrelated graphics company did a better job of selling their game than they did

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

There is only one thing I don't like about Doom and it's that the BFG feels really floaty and wimpy compared to just about everything else (even though it's not). I rarely used it as a result. I think it's something about the audio, I can't really put my finger on it, but it feels 'different' compared to something like the siege mode of the laser.

Felt like there wasn't much bass and it also didn't really make any noise when it exploded a demon, unless I'm forgetting

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

The newest Doom is the only game so far where I've actively avoided using a decent gun because of the way it feels and sounds. loving plasma rifle, makes me feel like a tiny baby shooting a toy gun and that ain't what I want in doom

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hated how the original shotgun you get in doom looks and sounds amazing, but it gets so outclassed so quickly that it's not worth using after the first few hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I used the explosive mod on the shotgun throughout pretty much the entire game. Good weapon for instantly deleting imps.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The plasma stun is amazing. It does feel like a limp weapon, it has no kick to it. just pees out a stream of blue. But you can stun and big enemy and calmly headshot it 30 times with plasma. 1 on 1 with a big bad its just a win button from half the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I recently went back to play Alien: Isolation again and watching streams of it, the game does a really piss poor job of teaching players how to actually play the drat game.

90 percent of streams either are at medical or before medical.
Of those streams, 75 percent of them will be spent watching people hide in lockers, then taking 5 steps out of the room, hearing a blip on the motion tracker and returning to hide in the locker again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It felt like doom 2016 did an ok job of keeping all the weapons relevant (except the garbo pistol) by sprinkling weak enemies into almost every fight, so you still have a reason to use the assault rifle and kill an imp in one headshot instead of wasting gauss gun ammo overkilling one.

But I never used that plasma gun because it just felt so weak and piddly, and it cranked down your aim sensitivity while you were shooting which I hated

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most games seem to struggle at making laser/plasma style weapons nearly as satisfying as ballistic weapons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

blackguy32 posted:

I recently went back to play Alien: Isolation again and watching streams of it, the game does a really piss poor job of teaching players how to actually play the drat game.

90 percent of streams either are at medical or before medical.
Of those streams, 75 percent of them will be spent watching people hide in lockers, then taking 5 steps out of the room, hearing a blip on the motion tracker and returning to hide in the locker again.

The only difference between that and how you actually play the game is that you wait until you hear the stomp stomp stomp noise the alien makes before you go and hide in a locker

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I really suck at the stealth Dishonored (1). I don't really get how it works. I just sniped a dude in the head with a trank dart, and everone in the whole level immediately aggroed to my location, even though none of them had line of sight with me. Not what I expected to happen. In general "one guy sees me -> every enemy instantly aggros" isn't very interesting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you have some really strong combat options if trying to ghost through levels isn't doing it for you. corvo can be a one man apocalypse for the dunwall population if that's the way you want to play it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm pretty much just murdering everything. The stealth just seems pretty frustrating. Enemies have an insane sight distance for a first person game.

In Thief, the AI was much....dumber.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Snak posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much just murdering everything. The stealth just seems pretty frustrating. Enemies have an insane sight distance for a first person game.

In Thief, the AI was much....dumber.

Verticality is the key here which is why 80 percent of stealth is l2 blink.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dishonored 1 has some weird AI with stealth, sometimes dudes just show up with two pips of alert and start running around without any obvious reason

But if you abuse blink (and later time stop) you can make the game really easy, lethal or nonlethal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OxMan posted:

Verticality is the key here which is why 80 percent of stealth is l2 blink.

Yeah, It's super lame, and the reason I originally quit.

I'm digging the game otherwise, though. It does sratch that Thief itch pretty well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The best stealth ability is human possession.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I hated how the original shotgun you get in doom looks and sounds amazing, but it gets so outclassed so quickly that it's not worth using after the first few hours.

I'm using the charged burst mod and getting a lot of mileage out of the combat shotgun when paired with a weapon that's better at range. It instagibs imps that get in my face, I can take a couple steps back before I fire if I want to set them up for a glory kill, and the triple-shot does enough damage to be useful on the medium+ size enemies, or enemies at range if I feel like burning ammo. One charge will take a pinky out from behind at close range, so it's good for playing bullfighter when I'm low on rockets. It doesn't really excel at what it does but its flexibility makes it great in the first few seconds after a bunch of enemies spawn when I'm just trying to cull the horde a bit and I'm too busy to switch weapons.

It's def not my favorite weapon though, that goes to the rocket launcher with a fully upgraded remote detonation kit. Timing detonations when the rocket is behind pinkies and shield guys, or timing them just before they impact big enemies to get two explosions plus shrapnel damage out of each rocket, is really loving satisfying. I would love a DLC campaign where you only have the rocket launcher that you can mod in interesting ways.

Bombadilillo posted:

The plasma stun is amazing. It does feel like a limp weapon, it has no kick to it. just pees out a stream of blue. But you can stun and big enemy and calmly headshot it 30 times with plasma. 1 on 1 with a big bad its just a win button from half the game.

I really like the heat burst mod, it gives you an incentive to get into the fray instead of just circle strafing some big jerk. Chaingun with mobile turret is more effective at that anyway.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Its no a fair comparison because Garret had the mystical power to blend into shadows and Corvo can just teleport about a bit.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

The only difference between that and how you actually play the game is that you wait until you hear the stomp stomp stomp noise the alien makes before you go and hide in a locker

Hiding in lockers is false safety. It’s a last ditch gamble. Because if you mess it up, you are out of options. The best way to play is to try to keep the alien somewhat in sight but far away (this is hard) or recently in sight and always know where it is by listening (easier). The games gets a million times more fun once you learn how to move around while the alien is in the level not just in the vents.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

acksplode posted:

I really like the heat burst mod, it gives you an incentive to get into the fray instead of just circle strafing some big jerk. Chaingun with mobile turret is more effective at that anyway.

Once I unlocked the mobile turrent fast spin up. A stun blast, swich to turret was great. Stop them fat bastards and unload into a weakspot. Works really well.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wait, I haven't seen any DOOM marketing material, but how could they possibly gently caress it up? The only thing they'd need to do is play some sick heavy metal beats on top of some :black101: combat, right? ...Right?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its not Fallout or Skyrim so they havent had the fortune to try to sell it five and eight times, respectively

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Smol posted:

Wait, I haven't seen any DOOM marketing material, but how could they possibly gently caress it up? The only thing they'd need to do is play some sick heavy metal beats on top of some :black101: combat, right? ...Right?
the trailers made it look like Halo, and also they wouldn't stop talking about the bad multiplayer

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Smol posted:

if you've played the multiplayer, that's what they focused on. people were convinced the game was gonna suck because of the mp beta that they put out

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, holy loving poo poo at the voice cast for Dishonored.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they spent so much on the actors that they had nothing left when it came to direction

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I believe it. Brad Dourif is in his usual element. I already killed Susan Sarandon, so...

revolther
May 27, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

its not Fallout or Skyrim so they havent had the fortune to try to sell it five and eight times, respectively

True, Id had to try and sell it the first five and eight times.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Lots of bad dishonored opinions itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sakurazuka posted:

After the first few minutes of being stalked by the Alien, I never once used a locker. They are pretty much death traps.

Although, I do think a lot of the level design loving sucks for a stealth game with an unkillable foe. Sure, make a stealth game and fill it with hallways. A lot of times the stealth devolves into just going in circles around a table.