Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I have convinced the powers that be that all client machines purchased here henceforth shall have SSDs. Laptops have been that way for a while but desktops have been chugging along with platter drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sickening posted:

I think the issue of relying on an intern for a critical job roll is both idiotic and unethical.

I mean this is a bank who decided to have a single device that does literally everything. The social media intern is getting paid to watch the ship sink. Sounds win/win to me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have experience in recovering an admin password on a Synology NAS? The defaults don't work.

This thing has a degraded drive and we can't get in the admin portal to see the exact error.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Reset the box:

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/How_to_reset_your_Synology_NAS#t2

You won't lose data*

* Usual disclaimers apply

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

:thunk: I'll definitely try and get a drive backup prior to doing that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Chickenwalker posted:

Ubiquiti is not a sinking ship just because some dumbass writes an article with no actual forensic accounting evidence to back up his accusations of fraud, and even better fundamentally misunderstands why Ubiquiti is a great product.

It offers enterprise features at a cheap as poo poo price. This dude is on about why Cisco et al don't identify them in filings as a competitor. Well no poo poo they're not a competitor, nobody with a budget is going to buy bargain basement stuff they can buy something with a support plan and top of the line features, so Cisco and Juniper and even Dell aren't selling into the same market segment at all.

Yeah, UBNT poo poo breaks frequently, arrives DOA sometimes and isn't QC'd well enough. UniFi stuff usually gets released too soon and early adopters suffer with lovely FW for a year or two before the product matures and works like it should. The switches and routers are generally pretty good to their credit. Not sure why they're doing some of the consumer stuff they're trying. But you can't beat it for the price and I wouldn't have been able to do a fraction of the poo poo I have without it.

Sounds like I struck a nerve.
Serious question though; does anyone have any experience with the new Unifi switches? I need a couple new gigabit switches with PoE and at least one SFP port on the cheap for my new house.
Are they poo poo? do they die/catch fire/drop packets?

I've already got the security gateway and Pro AP's and would prefer to keep everything on the home network managed with the NMC software.

I've got an HP procurve switch and a Mikrotik RB2011. So I could make it work with some PoE injectors and a whole lot of v-lanning but I'd rather keep my work/dev/test environment completely, physically separate from my home stuff in case there's ever a problem and I'm not home to fix it. I can't imagine trying to talk my wife through re-loading a configuration file on the Mikrotik.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I am still in my first month and I am doing some heavy poking around in lots of systems. PDQ inventory is an absolute godsend for these purposes. The scanning and the reports I can make from what it gathers is a huge benefit. It however has recently uncovered some very interesting patterns.

We are on skype for business. This was a fairly new transition for the company and happened less than a year ago. Part of my scanning is making sure everyone is on the same software versions for the critical things. I am noticing out of 400 laptops I have scanned, 12 of them don't have the correct skype version. They are in fact on an early version of skype for business and didn't get upgraded. Fine, no big deal. The concerning part is that all 12 of these people have something in common. They are all women and to put it bluntly, are among the easiest on the eyes in the entire company. The names stood out right away.

First I try to figure out why they didn't get the upgrade as the latest upgrade is done by group policy. I look at the group policy object and see right away there is an security group exception setup. This security group contains all 12 of these employees. Hmm, well that is it. Why though? Why the gently caress would these employees have this setup this way? I talk to my boss and he is baffled. He doesn't recognize the security group. The group policy object appears to have been made by my predecessor. We are both confused why this is the way it is but instead of spending more time on it I remove the group from the object and the systems upgrade to the latest skype. Fine, fixed, whatever.

But now I am at lunch and it bothers me. Something doesn't feel right. I dig some more on the specific skype version. It appears this version has one major difference than the current version per the googling I am doing. This version keeps chat history in a local database instead of in the outlook OST like the new version does. A light bulb comes on.

This creepy fucker did this so he could read their loving chat history. :allbuttons:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just had a recruiter call me and leave a voicemail with using two very distinct different names in the same message. Tech recruiters are strange

e; good thing Skype is going away for you then!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

This creepy fucker did this so he could read their loving chat history. :allbuttons:

Wow.

As soon as you said there was a security group my 'oh poo poo' alarm was going off. When you said you deleted it I cringed. I guess you said you already asked your boss about the security group, but man make sure you let him know about the possible chat logging issue. That is something I would 100% not want to be the only person who knows.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow.

As soon as you said there was a security group my 'oh poo poo' alarm was going off. When you said you deleted it I cringed. I guess you said you already asked your boss about the security group, but man make sure you let him know about the possible chat logging issue. That is something I would 100% not want to be the only person who knows.

I just removed the security group from the object. It still exists. We are having a meeting about it right after lunch and the CIO is invited. Not the only sketchy thing I have found so far.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was expecting the group to be a "do what the gently caress you want on your computers" group as some sort of favour to the people involved, which had somehow prevented Skype from updating. I guess I am naïve to the level of creepiness that people can descend to.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Might want to do a sweep of the women's bathroom for pinhole cameras while you at it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I just removed the security group from the object. It still exists. We are having a meeting about it right after lunch and the CIO is invited. Not the only sketchy thing I have found so far.

Ah, must have misread. :)

Do please keep us in the loop. This one sounds interesting.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sickening posted:

WHAT... THE... gently caress.... ewwwww

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sickening posted:

I would backup image and flatten those laptops. Do they have webcams?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
IT has some creepy motherfuckers in it. The guy who was in this role before I had it would regularly tell the women he had to back up their phones every few months and stockpiled photos of them. They didn't find this out until after he left, and women in the company give me weird looks when I ask to back their phone up to itunes for a new phone.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I would backup image and flatten those laptops. Do they have webcams?

At this point it might be the next step.

The url filtering by the firewall had some strange entries too.

jockopodcast2.com
jockopodcast.com
*.unfinishedman.com

My creep vibe is loving rising, quickly.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sounds like I struck a nerve.
Serious question though; does anyone have any experience with the new Unifi switches? I need a couple new gigabit switches with PoE and at least one SFP port on the cheap for my new house.

I installed a 48 port for a customer a month back or so. Configured easily, but it wasn't exactly a complex configuration. Didn't catch fire, ran 15 or so Ubiquiti APs via a mix of 802.3af and 24v poe without issue.

I haven't touched it or talked to the customer since the install though.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Methanar posted:

Anyone else going to Velocity NYC 2017?

I was looking at that, but we kinda blew our "training" budget with scheduling a trip to AWS re:Invent in Vegas

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've already got the security gateway and Pro AP's and would prefer to keep everything on the home network managed with the NMC software.

I have one US-24-POE at a customer location powering a few phones, cameras, and an AP. It does what it does well and I have no complaints. It's a bit more expensive than the competition, so I wouldn't recommend them by default, but if you have any Ubiquiti 24V gear it's really nice and if you like the Unifi software the central management is really cool. If you have the APs and USG already I'd definitely recommend going with the USW as well just to complete the package. You get basically the same utilization stats off your wired ports as the UAPs give you on wireless.

If you haven't seen what a USW shows in the controller, here's some screenshots I took after installing it: https://imgur.com/a/W11Ab

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Well, I logged off at about 0230 this morning. We were still down, but getting better. When I woke up at 0700 we were back in business.

So somewhere north of 24 hours of outage. But the Network team pushed though, by God, and got the new switch in place. Still some ATM outages, which we're working on. Things seem to be settled down.

Executive team offered up some tickets for tonight's NHL game, as a thank you to people for all the long hours and hard work. I am not taking advantage, because I might be near the Network team and I will not be able to guarantee I won't say or do something stupid to them.

I doubt there will be anything in terms of staff fallout. We don't fire anyone. Probably not even any write-ups. Oh well.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Antioch posted:

Well, I logged off at about 0230 this morning. We were still down, but getting better. When I woke up at 0700 we were back in business.

So somewhere north of 24 hours of outage. But the Network team pushed though, by God, and got the new switch in place. Still some ATM outages, which we're working on. Things seem to be settled down.

Executive team offered up some tickets for tonight's NHL game, as a thank you to people for all the long hours and hard work. I am not taking advantage, because I might be near the Network team and I will not be able to guarantee I won't say or do something stupid to them.

I doubt there will be anything in terms of staff fallout. We don't fire anyone. Probably not even any write-ups. Oh well.

What team is playing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For what it's worth, all UniFi equipment is moving to 802.3af/802.3at PoE rather than the passive stuff that they used before:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Update-on-24V-Passive-PoE-Support-on-UniFi-Switch-Product-Line-8/m-p/2041057

They've changed their minds a couple of times but new products are all standards-based PoE, so plan accordingly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

So I am still in my first month and I am doing some heavy poking around in lots of systems. PDQ inventory is an absolute godsend for these purposes. The scanning and the reports I can make from what it gathers is a huge benefit. It however has recently uncovered some very interesting patterns.

We are on skype for business. This was a fairly new transition for the company and happened less than a year ago. Part of my scanning is making sure everyone is on the same software versions for the critical things. I am noticing out of 400 laptops I have scanned, 12 of them don't have the correct skype version. They are in fact on an early version of skype for business and didn't get upgraded. Fine, no big deal. The concerning part is that all 12 of these people have something in common. They are all women and to put it bluntly, are among the easiest on the eyes in the entire company. The names stood out right away.

First I try to figure out why they didn't get the upgrade as the latest upgrade is done by group policy. I look at the group policy object and see right away there is an security group exception setup. This security group contains all 12 of these employees. Hmm, well that is it. Why though? Why the gently caress would these employees have this setup this way? I talk to my boss and he is baffled. He doesn't recognize the security group. The group policy object appears to have been made by my predecessor. We are both confused why this is the way it is but instead of spending more time on it I remove the group from the object and the systems upgrade to the latest skype. Fine, fixed, whatever.

But now I am at lunch and it bothers me. Something doesn't feel right. I dig some more on the specific skype version. It appears this version has one major difference than the current version per the googling I am doing. This version keeps chat history in a local database instead of in the outlook OST like the new version does. A light bulb comes on.

As soon as you said they are good looking women and skype, I figured something with profile pictures (does skype have these? I've only really dealt with jabber) or similar, but the reality is somehow worse.

Sickening posted:

jockopodcast2.com
jockopodcast.com
*.unfinishedman.com

Also I don't even want to know what these are, but were they to disable filtering, or implicitly filter them?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 25, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah are you going to like tell them they've been spied on? I mean I guess that wouldn't be a good idea since they'd probably freak out and try and sue the company. Which I mean is fairly justifiable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vargatron posted:

What team is playing?

This is important.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vargatron posted:

Yeah are you going to like tell them they've been spied on? I mean I guess that wouldn't be a good idea since they'd probably freak out and try and sue the company. Which I mean is fairly justifiable.
Unless it was a documented company policy to spy on them, I don't see anyone's life being made better by telling them. The rogue responsible is gone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unless not telling them results in them finding out several months later that you discovered this but then didn't tell them. There's no easy answer to this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My former company had a "you have no expected right to privacy" thing during orientation but I'm not sure how valid that was in the grand scheme of things.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Unless not telling them results in them finding out several months later that you discovered this but then didn't tell them. There's no easy answer to this.

There is, and it's to make it legal+HR's problem. You are not lawyers, do not pretend to be.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vargatron posted:

My former company had a "you have no expected right to privacy" thing during orientation but I'm not sure how valid that was in the grand scheme of things.

In the US, in regards to company property? Pretty valid.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
This is exactly what HR departments are for. Give them all the details, let them figure out what they want to do. If HR does nothing and the women are outraged that they weren't notified, that's HRs problem now and not IT.

e; gently caress H110hawk you beat me to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

H110Hawk posted:

There is, and it's to make it legal+HR's problem. You are not lawyers, do not pretend to be.

Yeah, that is true. I was thinking more in terms of the company rather than the IT department. Letting my CYA game slip.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, while it's likely it's a "well you don't have any expectation of privacy on work PCs" but better to let HR make that judgement call.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

H110Hawk posted:

This right here is correct.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Man who is paid more than me just deleted our live print server without any warning or consultation of the department or users or anything.

We do have backups so it should be fine but seriously.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Could be worse, he could have deleted your core router with no hope of restoring services to it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MF_James posted:

This is important.

Edmonton/Carolina (don't doxx me k?)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I installed a 48 port for a customer a month back or so. Configured easily, but it wasn't exactly a complex configuration. Didn't catch fire, ran 15 or so Ubiquiti APs via a mix of 802.3af and 24v poe without issue.

I haven't touched it or talked to the customer since the install though.
No news is good news. :v:

wolrah posted:

I have one US-24-POE at a customer location powering a few phones, cameras, and an AP. It does what it does well and I have no complaints. It's a bit more expensive than the competition, so I wouldn't recommend them by default, but if you have any Ubiquiti 24V gear it's really nice and if you like the Unifi software the central management is really cool. If you have the APs and USG already I'd definitely recommend going with the USW as well just to complete the package. You get basically the same utilization stats off your wired ports as the UAPs give you on wireless.

If you haven't seen what a USW shows in the controller, here's some screenshots I took after installing it: https://imgur.com/a/W11Ab
Very nice. Thanks for the screenshots. I love that I can just use the USG as the single controller for literally everything instead of having to log into each separate device.

Thanks Ants posted:

For what it's worth, all UniFi equipment is moving to 802.3af/802.3at PoE rather than the passive stuff that they used before:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Update-on-24V-Passive-PoE-Support-on-UniFi-Switch-Product-Line-8/m-p/2041057

They've changed their minds a couple of times but new products are all standards-based PoE, so plan accordingly.

That's literally what I was just looking into. I'm 99% sure the new switches I'm considering are 802.3af/at only which is fine when it comes time to install the access points, and cameras. I'll have to doublecheck the phones, but I can always use one of these to convert it.
The old UAP's I had needed to use passive PoE injectors because 48v but the new UAP-Pro is 802.3af/at so I'm golden there. Having a couple SSID's and VLAN configs on the Wifi is gonna be really nice.

brb gotta do some math real quick and make sure the switch I'm looking at can actually power all the things...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Man who is paid more than me just deleted our live print server without any warning or consultation of the department or users or anything.

We do have backups so it should be fine but seriously.

Good. Quit printing