Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Good, I'm glad they seem to have worked things out amicably between themselves. :unsmith:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's nice.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

What the hell why does this exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21_bGNsKVo

It's kind of amazing.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

il_cornuto posted:

What the hell why does this exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21_bGNsKVo

It's kind of amazing.

Sounds like theme for a Bond film set in Japan.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I haven't spun it yet but the new Threshold album is on Spotify - anyone heard it yet?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I've been getting into Corima in a big way late. I think they're the only "current" zeuhl band going (tell me I'm wrong), last album came out last year. Magma influence goes without saying but I think they're more actively inspired by Koenjihyakki.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I guess Magma doesn't count as current? They did a short album last year I believe, and there was also a compilation of lives not too long ago.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

X_Toad posted:

I guess Magma doesn't count as current? They did a short album last year I believe, and there was also a compilation of lives not too long ago.

Magma are kinda current but they're classic, I'm more meaning newer bands.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I've been getting into Corima in a big way late. I think they're the only "current" zeuhl band going (tell me I'm wrong), last album came out last year. Magma influence goes without saying but I think they're more actively inspired by Koenjihyakki.

there's a few other current bands on Soleil Zeuhl, although i've not really listened to them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know Flying Colors is kinda "borderline prog" but this is still too cool not to share. Today they released a "demastered" version of their first album, removing the compression that was on the original release (and bringing it closer to the mastering style of their second album). It was hardly "brickwalled" in the first place, but there's still a significant difference, and I'm glad they're throwing a bone to their audiophile fans. I wish more bands would do it. Preferably when the album first comes out, but you can't have everything I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwkg2waXKFA

(Ironically, the song used in the trailer is the least different-sounding one.)

http://calliopia.org/catalog/true-colors-download/

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Didn't get anything in the vinyl thread, but does anyone know of any record shops in Tampa/St. Petersburg or even Gainesville or Tallahassee that might have a decent prog selection? I'm going that way in a couple of weeks to see Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman.

My semi-local source of cheap prog dried up and I though I can order it, I just want to dig through some bins and find some original King Crimson releases (and the ilk). There was a surprisingly decent source spot at an indoor flea market in Jacksonville (found a promo of Discipline), but Jacksonville isn't an option this time.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Didn't get anything in the vinyl thread, but does anyone know of any record shops in Tampa/St. Petersburg or even Gainesville or Tallahassee that might have a decent prog selection? I'm going that way in a couple of weeks to see Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman.

My semi-local source of cheap prog dried up and I though I can order it, I just want to dig through some bins and find some original King Crimson releases (and the ilk). There was a surprisingly decent source spot at an indoor flea market in Jacksonville (found a promo of Discipline), but Jacksonville isn't an option this time.

Have you tried Sound Exchange in Brandon? I haven't been there in a year, but they had some good stuff last I checked.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Primus album is super progged out

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I haven't been much for bands who play too many notes lately, but I had a local radio station on while driving in to work today and their stoner/doom/psych show closed with ... lemme make sure I've got this name right ...

Axall Hasck's "Koenjihyakkei," which, still, had too many notes, but drat, they were playing their asses off. I'll have to go back to that, check out the record when I start getting the urge for that sound again.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hexwren posted:

I haven't been much for bands who play too many notes lately, but I had a local radio station on while driving in to work today and their stoner/doom/psych show closed with ... lemme make sure I've got this name right ...

Axall Hasck's "Koenjihyakkei," which, still, had too many notes, but drat, they were playing their asses off. I'll have to go back to that, check out the record when I start getting the urge for that sound again.

Koenjihyakkei is the band, Axall Hasck is the song title.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

whoops. well that's what I get from trying to get my phone to identify the song on the road

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Koenjihyakkei are the best band in the universe and I'm willing to fight about it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
man, i've been listening to the new leprous the last couple of days. this is really sick. the problem i've had with leprous is that they're a bit unremittingly gloomy. while this album is mostly the same in that sense, there are some upbeat and higher tempo riffs and such which, while not changing the overall tone of the album, make it a much easier listen. easily their best work so far (and their other albums have not been bad).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Leprous is really sick, you say? :mmmhmm:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Crossposting from the metal thread, but the new Dreadnought album is streaming over at No Clean Singing for those of you who like a bit more metal in your prog. I usually compare their work to In the Woods...'s Omnio album.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2017/10/05/an-ncs-album-premiere-and-review-dreadnought-a-wake-in-sacred-waves/

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Seventh Arrow posted:

Leprous is really sick, you say? :mmmhmm:

dad please stop embarrassing me in front of my friends

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Leprous album would still be incredible if it was exclusively just the drum tracks. Like I am no drumhead and even I can tell it's incredible.
It's just a really really beautiful album and I congratulate them on executing their shift in tone/approach so well.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It's very, very good and given that I thought The Congregation was a lot worse than their previous albums I'm really happy that Malina turned out so well.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

tote up a bags posted:

The new Leprous album would still be incredible if it was exclusively just the drum tracks. Like I am no drumhead and even I can tell it's incredible.
It's just a really really beautiful album and I congratulate them on executing their shift in tone/approach so well.
Baard Kolstad is the drummer for pretty much every band in Norway and he is in fact the loving man

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Saw Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman tonight, on one of their last stops on the tour. It was a choice between seeing them or King Crimson in two weeks. Figured I wouldn't have that many chances to see Wakeman, so this it was.

And You and I was amazing. Awaken was great, but And You and I was stunning. I really haven't seen that many live shows, but it was easily the best live song I've experienced in person.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
BR has to miss the upcoming leg of KC's tour. He is being subbed by Chris Gibson on keyboards. Chris is a long time Crafty.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Rust Martialis posted:

BR has to miss the upcoming leg of KC's tour. He is being subbed by Chris Gibson on keyboards. Chris is a long time Crafty.

Kinda disappointed. I liked BR.

This is my first time seeing King Crimson, been wanting to for half my life. Prettttty excited.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I also saw ARW a week ago. And You And I was great, but I wasn't a fan of the rearrangement of Awaken. Wakeman's Moogs might have been the best sounding Moogs I've ever heard live though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/BruceLevenstein/status/921179595457560576

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Crim played Moonchild tonight in public for the first time since 1969, and I was there :dukedog:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Crim played Moonchild tonight in public for the first time since 1969, and I was there :dukedog:

F&F show? They're fun.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Came in here to make sure the photo of the court of the crimson king was posted, but this is super cool also.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

So, I found this new prog group that is essentially a bunch of old dudes (Jeff Scott Soto, Mike Portnoy,, Bumblefoot, Billy Sheehan, and Derek Sherinnian) who’ve played with everyone, and now they are playing together, and i’m surprisingly impressed by the music. I just spun through the album a few times and there is some crazy stuff super musician going on in various breaks

Sons of Apollo

It sounds like Dream Theatre fired James Labrie and decided to put on their big boy pants on and write some serious prog rock. Actually don’t believe Dream Theatre is capable of music like this anymore.

I recommend giving the few tracks on youtube a listen to see if it’s your thing. For me, I’v been waiting something new like this for a while.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UKkIiI0D_UM

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The idea of serious prog rock doesn't really appeal to me any more. I like whimsical prog rock.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mne nravitsya posted:

Sons of Apollo

It sounds like Dream Theatre

boiled it down to the relevant part

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mne nravitsya posted:

So, I found this new prog group that is essentially a bunch of old dudes (Jeff Scott Soto, Mike Portnoy,, Bumblefoot, Billy Sheehan, and Derek Sherinnian) who’ve played with everyone, and now they are playing together, and i’m surprisingly impressed by the music. I just spun through the album a few times and there is some crazy stuff super musician going on in various breaks

Sons of Apollo

It sounds like Dream Theatre fired James Labrie and decided to put on their big boy pants on and write some serious prog rock. Actually don’t believe Dream Theatre is capable of music like this anymore.

I recommend giving the few tracks on youtube a listen to see if it’s your thing. For me, I’v been waiting something new like this for a while.

I've got to say that all sounds really bad

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have tremendous respect for Portnoy, but this type of music just doesn't work with a standard hard rock vocalist #3,247 that is Soto.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

At first I questioned whether an ex-Guns'N'Roses guitarist would be a good fit for a prog rock band, but he has a double-necked guitar so who am I to dispute his prog cred?? (also acceptable: wearing a cape)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mne nravitsya posted:

Sons of Apollo

I enjoy the solo output of almost everyone involved with this and I just absolutely do not like this at all. Totally incoherent. It's like the audio version of a conference bike.

Seventh Arrow posted:

At first I questioned whether an ex-Guns'N'Roses guitarist would be a good fit for a prog rock band, but he has a double-necked guitar so who am I to dispute his prog cred?? (also acceptable: wearing a cape)
Bumblefoot's basically a pastiche of guitarists who have worked with Derek Sherinian.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Mne nravitsya posted:

Sons of Apollo

It's definitely not my thing, for pretty much the same reasons as others have said. I dunno, I guess I've just moved on from this kind of music :shrug: To be honest, the only thing that Mike Portnoy's done since DT that I liked was Flying Colors.

quote:

I gave up on Dream Theater after The Astonishing. gently caress that was a poo poo album.