Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Inescapable Duck posted:

Third episode especially seems to show they're de-emphasising Scrooge's cheapness in favour of his adventurous spirit (Just as well, because stingy rich has become a LOT less sympathetic in the last decade)

Scrooge being against laying employees off is a good characterization choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Scrooge just wants to hoard all the good ideas for
himself.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I like Scrooge's reasoning of having Gyro and Quackfaster in his employ rather than letting them out in society.

It's such a goofy, fun-hearted show but my only issue is the dialogue feels a little muddy to me sometimes. When Donald and Mrs. Beakly were talking at the end of the Beagle Boys episode, we had to rewind like three times then turn on CC because we couldn't make out she was saying 'I'm a spy'.

Did the Spear of Selene factor into the old show at all? I only have vague recollections of the original.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did the Spear of Selene factor into the old show at all? I only have vague recollections of the original.

Not that I remember, but I also didn't watch everything. Only speculation I've heard is that... Two of the proposed reasons in the comics for why the triplets' parents weren't around were either they were dead or on some long-term mission that prevented them from visiting or communicating, like a deep-space astronaut.

I don't think they ever ended up using either reason (too depressing), but given that Selene is the goddess of the moon, maybe the new show is using that idea somehow. Della seems to be the pilot to Donald's sailor. Maybe Donald, Scrooge and Della were getting a treasure from some distant location (the moon????) and Della ran off with it and disappeared or something. Donald blames Scrooge for his sister disappearing / Scrooge blames Della for "betraying" him / the three don't talk for a long, long time?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, Selene, moon Goddess... Are we finally going to hear an official rendition of the Moon Theme outside of the games?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

evilmiera posted:

Wait, Selene, moon Goddess... Are we finally going to hear an official rendition of the Moon Theme outside of the games?!

"If you want to complete the treasure, you know where to find me". *As the starship lands upon the moon, the boys are lured to a strange building on the Dark Side of the satellite by a sad Aria version of Moon Theme*

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 25, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Not that I remember, but I also didn't watch everything. Only speculation I've heard is that... Two of the proposed reasons in the comics for why the triplets' parents weren't around were either they were dead or on some long-term mission that prevented them from visiting or communicating, like a deep-space astronaut.

I don't think they ever ended up using either reason (too depressing), but given that Selene is the goddess of the moon, maybe the new show is using that idea somehow. Della seems to be the pilot to Donald's sailor. Maybe Donald, Scrooge and Della were getting a treasure from some distant location (the moon????) and Della ran off with it and disappeared or something. Donald blames Scrooge for his sister disappearing / Scrooge blames Della for "betraying" him / the three don't talk for a long, long time?

Betrayal implies a certain amount of villainy. I imagine she took it because it was cursed or somesuch so Donald's mad that Scrooge that that happen to her and Scrooge is mad that she did it without him knowing and so they blame each other because they know they could've done something but didn't. It's cliche, but I think that's where they're going with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

evilmiera posted:

There's a lot of space and moon imagery in the Della archive so I assume we'll be going.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

evilmiera posted:

I haven't heard/seen the panel in question, but earlier in the thread...

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I've seen a fan theory about Della floating around that draws from the fact that the breaking point incident between Donald and Scrooge being an adventure centering around the Spear of Selene, a european comic explaining Della's absence by having it turn out that she's an astronaut in deep space, and the fact that at comiccon they confirmed that they're gonna use the Moon Theme

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I suddenly have this theory that the "Spear of Selene" is actually an ancient rocket ship.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does make me wonder if they might actually go with Donald having been in the Navy, and probably Della by equivalent having been in the Air Force. (Where a lot of astronauts start out, iirc) It would easily explain where they got a lot of experience from.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bobulus posted:

I went back and checked. Had to look some of them up, but I think they're all Rosa stories..

Dawson - Site of Scrooge's first riches, per the comics. Also where he met Goldie. I believe he also opened his first bank there to loan miners money?
Lillehammer - Winter olympics, as mentioned.
El Dorado - Obvious treasure location
Culebra - The mountain range that was cut through to make the Panama Canal. In the comics, Scrooge owns that mountain and the U.S. has to make a deal with him to put the Canal

Just to clarify, both Barks and Rosa did stories about Scrooge's Klondike days, so Dawson could refer to either. Rosa did do a Lillehammer story when they hosted the Olympics, which he was commissioned to do because there is such a huge Duck fan base there. El Dorado comes from a Barks story. Culebra, as noted, is from a Rosa story.

There was also a Plain Awful reference in the library, which comes from the classic Barks story "Lost in the Andes" (and Rosa, being Rosa of course made a sequel years later).

For all the talk of the changes to Gyro's personality, I think Ms. Quackfaster was the much more dramatic. Besides the name and having a job at the money bin, she was a totally different character. I mean, she wasn't much of a character to begin with, but still...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I thought the episodes were funny and enjoyed myself!

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

So, since it looks like no comics characters are completely out of the question, who do you want to see even if it's extremely improbable? Having grown up on a diet of Italian Disney comics, I would be overjoyed by a reference to Fethry Duck, the comics where he and Donald have some weird job to do for Scrooge were my favorites.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I would not be entirely shocked if some of those Paperinik aliens I've read about showed up, there was a nod to Coolflames with the pirate ghost.

Eps 2 and 3 got some flak for being rather low-key compared to the opening, but on retrospect they're pretty important for establishing their current living situation- Scrooge can put up with the kids fine, but there's still tension between him and Donald, not to mention boundary issues- and setting up the status quo at McDuck Corporation with future plot hooks and this incarnation of Scrooge's personality and attitude towards his business and money. Plus, some more local antagonists with the Beagle Boys.

...possibly a stretch, but seems meaningful the first Money Bin staff we're introduced to (it does seem implied there's more than Quackfaster and Gearloose) are an archivist and an inventor, one preserving the past while the other tries to invent the future. Says something about Scrooge's priorities, given he defends their employment to his professional misers.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm guessing the next episode will focus on the red duckling in some way, he's been rather underused so far.

As for Donald, notably no mention of Daisy so far (unless there was and I just didn't inderstand him :D ).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Avalerion posted:

I'm guessing the next episode will focus on the red duckling in some way, he's been rather underused so far.

As for Donald, notably no mention of Daisy so far (unless there was and I just didn't inderstand him :D ).

Well there's only been three episodes so fair, give it time.

Also, i think it's kind of neat that Donald wears a sailor suit and Della wears a pilot outfit and ducks are known for both swimming and flying.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inescapable Duck posted:

Third episode especially seems to show they're de-emphasising Scrooge's cheapness in favour of his adventurous spirit (Just as well, because stingy rich has become a LOT less sympathetic in the last decade)

I don't know, he still seems pretty miserly to me; making sure Louie knew to right on both sides of the page and then adding that he write small, before paying him only a couple of cents for a day's work. His arguing with the vultures was all over stuff it's conceivable he feels he needs, not which is a luxury. He needs a load of magical protection because otherwise he'd be dealing with ghosts coming to kill him all the time and he needs someone to keep the archive in order so that his personal and family history is cared for and he doesn't have to do so himself. Which makes sense really. The only one that might not be entirely necessary is Gyro, and you could view that as an investment since he seems to imply that Gyro will someday invent something or some things that'll make the money he's paying now worth the eventual pay off.

TFRazorsaw posted:

... yeah, calling Gyro a sociopath is a bit much, even for how meaningless that is to begin with.

I imagine it's more that Scrooge just wanted done with the whole thing and said they were all loons more to scare the vultures off and finish the argument, not because he actually believes they're a genuine danger to society.

Mercury Hat posted:

They might also be changing the accents to further distance the show from the first one or to play up their homage to outlaw crime families like the Daltons and Ma Barker.

Is there anyone that saw "Justified" and wasn't imagining the Beagle family as reincarnations of the Bennetts? Ma Bennett is with her boys now, even if she doesn't want to be.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Eps 2 and 3 got some flak for being rather low-key compared to the opening, but on retrospect they're pretty important for establishing their current living situation- Scrooge can put up with the kids fine, but there's still tension between him and Donald, not to mention boundary issues- and setting up the status quo at McDuck Corporation with future plot hooks and this incarnation of Scrooge's personality and attitude towards his business and money. Plus, some more local antagonists with the Beagle Boys.ent to his professional misers.

Yea, I'm kind of glad the show has given a few breather episodes where the kids can bond as just kids doing silly kid stuff and establishing just who this incarnation of Scrooge is in an every day setting before it launches whole sale in to adventures and what not.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Avalerion posted:

Frank Angones posted:

The first five episodes were meant to be character studies of each of the kids, but the Huey episode got pushed for reasons beyond our control. There’s a whole lot of Huey character work by episode 8 though.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Avalerion posted:

"I can still see the darts when I close my eyes." was one of the better throwaway lines so far.

Once the Junior Woodchuck stuff gets going, I expect great things from Huey. Especially if they do the Library of Alexandria bit.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well there's only been three episodes so fair, give it time.

Also, i think it's kind of neat that Donald wears a sailor suit and Della wears a pilot outfit and ducks are known for both swimming and flying.

am I the only person seeing a katara/sokka relationship between delia and donald?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

shades of eternity posted:

am I the only person seeing a katara/sokka relationship between delia and donald?

Donald IS a master of meat and sarcasm.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tsob posted:

Is there anyone that saw "Justified" and wasn't imagining the Beagle family as reincarnations of the Bennetts? Ma Bennett is with her boys now, even if she doesn't want to be.

Well, yeah, Ma Beagle is also played by character actress Margo Martindale, after all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Man Huey is getting the shaft. Did Daniel Pudi like piss in aragones coffee?

Also multiple times per episode I find my going "Jesus Christ Webby" and breaking into laughter

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LupusAter posted:

So, since it looks like no comics characters are completely out of the question, who do you want to see even if it's extremely improbable? Having grown up on a diet of Italian Disney comics, I would be overjoyed by a reference to Fethry Duck, the comics where he and Donald have some weird job to do for Scrooge were my favorites.

Paperinik. It would be really awesome to see an English-language Disney thing that doesn't pretend PK doesn't exist.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phylodox posted:

Well, yeah, Ma Beagle is also played by character actress Margo Martindale, after all.

That, along with the similar family structure (i.e. one mother, 3 sons, one strong and kind of dim, one intelligent but somewhat underappreciated) is why I was thinking it, yes. Also, I don't think I've ever seen anyone type Margo Martindale without nothing that she's a character actress before hand.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

That, along with the similar family structure (i.e. one mother, 3 sons, one strong and kind of dim, one intelligent but somewhat underappreciated) is why I was thinking it, yes. Also, I don't think I've ever seen anyone type Margo Martindale without nothing that she's a character actress before hand.

It's just shorthand for Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

tsob posted:

Also, I don't think I've ever seen anyone type Margo Martindale without nothing that she's a character actress before hand.

She played herself on Bojack Horseman, now she's always Character Actress Margo Martindale.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

nerdman42 posted:

She played herself on Bojack Horseman, now she's always Character Actress Margo Martindale.

Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Is it Esteemed or Beloved? Its been a while since her last appearance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of hope to see John D Rockerduck. As I feel he can be portrayed different enough from Glomgold to have a place.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of hope to see John D Rockerduck. As I feel he can be portrayed different enough from Glomgold to have a place.

Are you telling me they didn't go with Rockerfeather for that pun? Shameful

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently they've come up with an original character who's a tech company millionaire to be the alternate rich foil to McDuck. He's in the opening among the villains, so presumably he and Scrooge aren't going to be buddies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Apparently they've come up with an original character who's a tech company millionaire to be the alternate rich foil to McDuck. He's in the opening among the villains, so presumably he and Scrooge aren't going to be buddies.

Yeah Mark Beaks. But he appears to be more obsessed with status and his reputation. He also made his money himself.

One of the things that best differentiated Rockerduck and Scrooge was that Rockerduck was born into Money and has never had to work for his fortune. Unlike Glomgold and Scrooge who are self made. (And cheap)

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Mark Beaks. But he appears to be more obsessed with status and his reputation. He also made his money himself.

One of the things that best differentiated Rockerduck and Scrooge was that Rockerduck was born into Money and has never had to work for his fortune. Unlike Glomgold and Scrooge who are self made. (And cheap)

Yeah, they are both portrayed as number 2 to Scrooge's number 1, but Glomgold is Scrooge without any morals, while Rockerduck is (usually) less outright villainous and more of an almost friendly rival, and he inherited his money (his father was one of Scrooge's mentors, if I am not grossly mistaken). That said, I'm not sure the show needs to use four different characters to properly convey all the nuances of the obscenely rich. I would appreciate the reference, but Rockerduck would be too much as a full fledged character.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Paperinik. It would be really awesome to see an English-language Disney thing that doesn't pretend PK doesn't exist.

Paperinik is so rooted in Italian comics lore that I am continously amazed by the fact that he is known and loved outside Italy. He started as an homage to Diabolik, a long running Italian series about a master thief, and ended up fighting emotion devouring aliens, while kicking off a trend where every character in the Duck universe has a secret superhero identity.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm not all that well-versed in the Euro comics, but I always had a fondness for Brigitta MacBridge, and Romano Scarpa's "The Last Balaboo" was a childhood favorite.

As a rich socialite, she'd be an interesting love interest contrast to Goldie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LupusAter posted:

Yeah, they are both portrayed as number 2 to Scrooge's number 1, but Glomgold is Scrooge without any morals, while Rockerduck is (usually) less outright villainous and more of an almost friendly rival, and he inherited his money (his father was one of Scrooge's mentors, if I am not grossly mistaken).

Yeah, his father was Howard Rockerduck, who taught Scrooge how to prospect for precious metals:

Rosa wrote a prequel to Life and Times which revealed that Howard Rockerduck was also the one who brought the Number One Dime to Scotland, where it found its way to Scrooge's father, who gave it to the ditch-digger whose boots Scrooge cleaned and in turn paid it to Scrooge.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

LupusAter posted:

Yeah, they are both portrayed as number 2 to Scrooge's number 1, but Glomgold is Scrooge without any morals, while Rockerduck is (usually) less outright villainous and more of an almost friendly rival, and he inherited his money (his father was one of Scrooge's mentors, if I am not grossly mistaken). That said, I'm not sure the show needs to use four different characters to properly convey all the nuances of the obscenely rich. I would appreciate the reference, but Rockerduck would be too much as a full fledged character.

Paperinik is so rooted in Italian comics lore that I am continously amazed by the fact that he is known and loved outside Italy. He started as an homage to Diabolik, a long running Italian series about a master thief, and ended up fighting emotion devouring aliens, while kicking off a trend where every character in the Duck universe has a secret superhero identity.

as in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3DFRDKH_Y

sold

I used to use his guitar rift as my ring tone. :D

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I just want Magica De Spell to show up soon. And also Gladstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LupusAter posted:

It's super unlikely given the modern setting, but I would like to see Teddy Roosevelt from the Rosa comics since he's one of the few people Scrooge likes and might call his friend.

Ballz posted:

I'm not all that well-versed in the Euro comics, but I always had a fondness for Brigitta MacBridge, and Romano Scarpa's "The Last Balaboo" was a childhood favorite.

As a rich socialite, she'd be an interesting love interest contrast to Goldie.

Are there many comics about Brigitta? I read a few stories about her and while I thought she might make a nice business competitor, I just didn't see her as a love interest to Scrooge. Her liking Scrooge as a businessman and thinking being good at business would make him notice her made me think that Brigitta doesn't really understand Scrooge at all. That, and Scrooge seems to see her as a pest most of the time.