Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This sure ain't no Daredevil Season 1 suit. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

This sure ain't no Daredevil Season 1 suit. Yeesh.

He looks like a low-rent Midnighter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

He looks like a low-rent Midnighter.

Yeah, "sharing a 1-room apartment with two other guys in the really bad part of town" low-rent.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The scene where they show Brucey standing on that roof with his trench at an angle makes me think they're intentionally riffing on the Batman TAS intro.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ToastyPotato posted:

Honestly that would also be bad because it would quickly devolve into "hey guys check out all of these neato COMIC BOOK REFERENCES," while never showing anything remotely as cool and having no excuse for it, in universe.

Not really gotham central did that and it was a great little comic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not really gotham central did that and it was a great little comic.

Yeah, because Gotham Central is a comic, not a primetime broadcast network tv show with a terrible budget. It would have been cancelled in the first season after people kept asking "but where is Batman and the Joker?"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
On the other hand, Gotham did have the Penguin blow up Azrael with a rocket launcher. So that was neat.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhonne posted:

On the other hand, Gotham did have the Penguin blow up Azrael with a rocket launcher. So that was neat.

:psyduck: The more I hear about this show the more I want to check it out, but Smallville hurt me so bad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ToastyPotato posted:

:psyduck: The more I hear about this show the more I want to check it out, but Smallville hurt me so bad.

Yeah. I dropped it around episode 13 of season 1, and everything I hear makes me want to pick it back up, but the one issue I have with the show keeps me from coming back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

A major difference is most of the characters in Gotham are adults.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, uh, I kinda just looked at youtube and apparently some region of Disney XD has aired up to episode 15 of Marvel's Spider-man. There's clips on youtube of stuff recording with a phonecamera. So, that's a thing.

Episode nine loving owned.

Smythe father and son are now in opposing villain factions and just had a loving Giant Mecha battle in the middle of the street.
Also the Jackal has a bunch of clones of himself all acting separately, and he made 8 whole spider-man spiders

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 24, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Also they made the Penguin gay (and in love with the Riddler)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This is almost identical to the Pre-Superman costume that Clark wears as the Blur in Smallville.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, uh, I kinda just looked at youtube and apparently some region of Disney XD has aired up to episode 15 of Marvel's Spider-man. There's clips on youtube of stuff recording with a phonecamera. So, that's a thing.

Episode nine loving owned.

Smythe father and son are now in opposing villain factions and just had a loving Giant Mecha battle in the middle of the street.
Also the Jackal has a bunch of clones of himself all acting separately, and he made 8 whole spider-man spiders

So much for that slow burn! Miles had his powers activate and made his costume in drat near record time. Least the costume's rad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Peter made his in seconds too, so it's consistent at least

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It needs the Kingpin and Hobgoblin to fully be a tribute to 90s Spidey. Also Kraven's Amazing Hunt better be a full-on adaption of Kraven's Last Hunt

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Miles is probably my biggest problem with the show what with him just deciding to outright go tell everyone he knows he's the new spider-man.

Like, uuuh, why are you doing that? Also why do you want to be a super-hero again? You've got a cool setup at a school for the extremely rich or smart why do you even care that you can also beat up bad guys?

I am also getting bad flashbacks to Ultimate Spider-Man with all the extra spiderpeople. Having people with samey powers is boring even if they have very distinct suits.

At least that ending bit with the jail reveal was cool!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Miles is probably my biggest problem with the show what with him just deciding to outright go tell everyone he knows he's the new spider-man.

Like, uuuh, why are you doing that? Also why do you want to be a super-hero again? You've got a cool setup at a school for the extremely rich or smart why do you even care that you can also beat up bad guys?

I am also getting bad flashbacks to Ultimate Spider-Man with all the extra spiderpeople. Having people with samey powers is boring even if they have very distinct suits.

At least that ending bit with the jail reveal was cool!

I mean I don't think you need much justification for why a teenage boy with superpowers wants to be a superhero even if it isn't a wise idea.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I don't think you need much justification for why a teenage boy with superpowers wants to be a superhero even if it isn't a wise idea.

Sure, up until the point he actually gets into danger.

Also throwing yourself into danger without testing your powers for a bit seems like a real bad idea. I mean he survived standing near an exploding building just as he got the powers, you'd think he'd be a bit more shaken by all that.

Edit: vvv I really like super heroes too but my first reaction even as a teenager would probably just be to freak out and go see a doctor if I was going to do something other than hide from the world for a few weeks.

I mean yeah this is a place with actual superpowered individuals so proper logic doesn't really apply but I don't really get Miles motivation here. For like almost any of the actions he takes. Including jumping up and saving a falling guy out of nowhere when he didn't know he had powers. It just feels super rushed and like he deserved his own proper origin episode(s) after he got his powers.

I mean Peter got like what, six shorts and a few regular episodes before his proper suit arrived and he wasn't just winging it? We got to see his motivations, see him experiment with his powers and learn how to control them. Miles just started out super good but acted like a complete schmuck for no real reason. He can be brash and impulsive and that's fine, but this just comes off like they had to cut a bunch of stuff for time.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 25, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's almost as if he was a teenager who really liked Spider-man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Sure, up until the point he actually gets into danger.

Also throwing yourself into danger without testing your powers for a bit seems like a real bad idea. I mean he survived standing near an exploding building just as he got the powers, you'd think he'd be a bit more shaken by all that.

Have you ever met a teenage boy? They are some of the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet when it comes to doing things that are exciting and stupid.

I once tutored a kid who broke both his arms because he decided to try jumping from one balcony in his apartment building to the next because he was bored.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Have you ever met a teenage boy? They are some of the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet when it comes to doing things that are exciting and stupid.

I once tutored a kid who broke both his arms because he decided to try jumping from one balcony in his apartment building to the next because he was bored.

But he's also a scientist prodigy and hasn't really acted like this before to any extent I picked up on. He was responsible, if a bit excitable and kept a more or less level head through the disasters at Horizon.

My problem isn't so much that he's doing stupid things but that its being rushed into, as mentioned in my edit above.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Being smart doesn't mean you're necessarily mature in other ways. He's still a child.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think there are two key differences for Miles compared to Peter:
Peter was completely aimless on what to do next, Miles wasn't because a superhero with his exact powerset was already out there, being an example. Peter's selfish path began with making money, Miles was getting payback on some bullies that harassed him that very morning, and playing superhero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That sounds like an extremely different character than the Miles Morales from the comics.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

With Peter not being around for years and, yanno, not dead, you kind of have to take a very different direction with him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds like an extremely different character than the Miles Morales from the comics.

You're right, his dad didn't take 80% of his screentime. I think this bold new take might work, tho

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're right, his dad didn't take 80% of his screentime. I think this bold new take might work, tho

Still is a better take than Ultimate TV show Miles. Also known as Bland-Man. But then again most characters from that were bland, boring or annoying. Or somehow all three. Except for Ava, whom they then ended up not doing anything with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're right, his dad didn't take 80% of his screentime. I think this bold new take might work, thoHuh

I wasn't aware that 4-5 issues out of like 50 is 80%. But I never did higher math.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question:

I've never really been into TMNT. I know there's three or four different cartoons and they all have something like 150 episodes each. Are they all sequential or are they reboots each time?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Reboots each time.

There's even a made for TV-Movie that links the first two as being alternate universes. Turtles Forever.

Which kind of makes the OG turtles look a bit too goofy (which they were, just not THAT goofy), but it's still fun.

Each of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 28, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Nickelodeon series is mostly weaknesses.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Didn't the new tmnt nicktoon end with the apocalypse

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was a what if story. The series official end is a three part storyline where they teach the 1985 Turtles to be better fighters.

Uuuuuugh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You mean the Turtles who carried swords but never thought about using the sharp parts to hurt their opponents? Maybe they could use a little formal training.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That kind of thing, along with Turtles Forever, doesn't really come from a place of whimsical reverence. It's basically the cool modern show that's totally more serious you guys taking shots at the predecessor for having to conform to standards and practices. Yeah, it was goofy and kinda lame back in the day, but also, it's the lowest of low hanging fruit and played out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Nickelodeon series is mostly weaknesses.

Lmao. Ok grandpa.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand why I was never into either TMNT or Power Rangers when I was little. They're both things I feel like I should have liked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't understand why I was never into either TMNT or Power Rangers when I was little. They're both things I feel like I should have liked.

I kinda feel the same about Duck Tales. I mean I didn't dislike it, but it's just the show I watched waiting for Aladdin or Darkwing Duck to come on. But apparently everyone else really loved it. I guess I've been out of touch my whole life...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I disliked both Batman and Superman TAS. Justice League was aces tho.