Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uplay is fine in the same way that a visit to the dentist to get a root canal is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Consumers shouldn't give a hot poo poo about Ubisoft's or EA's bottom lines either through their own services or copy protection and I question the opinions of anyone that says 'my dude its fine!' because the only reason why Uplay or Origin exists is for Ubisoft and Electronic Arts to make more money. Do they offer anything for the end-user now? Without defaulting to company profits?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Consumers shouldn't give a hot poo poo about Ubisoft's or EA's bottom lines either through their own services or copy protection and I question the opinions of anyone that says 'my dude its fine!' because the only reason why Uplay or Origin exists is for Ubisoft and Electronic Arts to make more money. Do they offer anything for the end-user now? Without defaulting to company profits?

They're often cheaper than buying the game on steam or through a third party.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jordan7hm posted:

They're often cheaper than buying the game on steam or through a third party.

Then you have to decide if having software on other platforms and whatever inconveniences that adds is worth that cost. I'm quite lazy and Steam was first so that value has to skew pretty hard and pretty consistently for me to slovenly roll over and starting buying games not on Steam or GoG.
Since the series I liked most from Electronic Arts used to be the Sim City series, well, there goes my number one reason to use Origin :v:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Then you have to decide if having software on other platforms and whatever inconveniences that adds is worth that cost. I'm quite lazy and Steam was first so that value has to skew pretty hard and pretty consistently for me to slovenly roll over and starting buying games not on Steam or GoG.
Since the series I liked most from Electronic Arts used to be the Sim City series, well, there goes my number one reason to use Origin :v:

yeah, I agree. Just saying there's a reason to use Uplay and Origin, and that's to avoid giving more of your money to a big company (Valve) than you have to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I meant while the service is active, of course any responsible dev would take out a system that physically does not work any more. Starforce is a nightmare to me, I tried to play the follow up to the Silent Storm series, Hammer and Sickle, and that used Starforce. Then, it turned out the game was utter poo poo featuring lovely elevator music for the intro and butt rock for the combat, constantly pitting you up against 5-10 more illuminati/nazi fellas than you can realistically deal with along with probably the shittiest "stealth" and "espionage" mechanics I've ever come across. A supremely awful videogame, at least the weird vampire one had magic powers.

E: I'm never right. :smith:

if you play hasickle on easy it's not bad

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Deakul posted:

Uplay is completely fine now, dude.

It's been fine for about 2 or 3 years now, same thing with Origin.

I never got to play The Crew that they gave away for free last year because of technical issues but I guess that's more of Ubi as whole being lovely than just Uplay. I also don't dare to use their cloud saves, even if people tell me it's fine.

Origin has exclusives worth a drat and they have free games and sales often plus I never had any troubles with either the games or the client, their only fault is belonging to a less reputable game company, but it's not like Valve has a pristine reputation these days.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

QuarkJets posted:

Uplay is fine in the same way that a visit to the dentist to get a root canal is fine

It's tough to argue with that. I got a root canal last year at it was one of the least painful things I've had to deal with.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Just saying there's a reason to use Uplay and Origin, and that's to avoid giving more of your money to a big company (Valve) than you have to.

By in turn giving money to the little guys (Ubisoft and EA)?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gromit posted:

It's tough to argue with that. I got a root canal last year at it was one of the least painful things I've had to deal with.

Yeah; it's an inoffensive inconvenience that you may wish that you didn't have to deal with but at least it's not Origin 1.0

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bunky posted:

By in turn giving money to the little guys (Ubisoft and EA)?

By giving less money to any of them, he means. His suggestion is that the games on Uplay/Origin are sometimes cheaper and that means more green in your pocket

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kragger99 posted:

Thanks for the reminder.
Here's a vid that shows off the combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FhjOx92W_Y

So it's like a 3D Mr. Shifty?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My problem with services like Uplay is that they never put in the effort that even Valve bothered to in adding value to their platform. I'm a total sucker for profile customization and social features and Uplay offers virtually nothing of note on that front. I also think gating game content behind their achievement currency is a terrible idea, especially when Microsoft of all people got it right on the 360 by letting you unlock special avatar dress-up bits through achievements. I like unlocking fun bonuses, not poo poo I actually need.

Anyway, the Weeklong Deals are kind of an eclectic bunch this time, with a lot of titles I've never even heard of. All of the Arcen game are discounted though, along with a few other little gems like Cities in Motion and Kairo. If you'd like the rundown and reviews, it's all right over here.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

corn in the bible posted:

if you play hasickle on easy it's not bad

At that point it's only mediocre when the scripting doesn't bug out and suddenly 36 US troops ambush you in the town, or you accidentally provoke a guy carrying a bren gun right behind you. Weird game.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I was in the mood for some jank so I bought:

Planet Alcatraz
7,62 High Calibre

I also bought Dungeon Siege 2 (don't care about LAN), Depths Of Peril, Commandos franchise pack, AI War pack and Original War. DS2 seems ok so far and 7,62 is dope as hell. Anyone have any recommendations for more obscure strategy/action games (I know DS and Commandos isn't obscure)? I wish Necrovision didn't crash before the second level.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seven Kingdoms is open source these days, great late nineties RTS.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sacrifice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You know what else is great about Heat Signature?

No developer logo, no game logo, load the game and you're ready to kick rear end once you get your own rear end off the bar stool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

James Woods Fan posted:

Planet Alcatraz
7,62 High Calibre

I also bought Dungeon Siege 2 (don't care about LAN), Depths Of Peril, Commandos franchise pack, AI War pack and Original War. DS2 seems ok so far and 7,62 is dope as hell. Anyone have any recommendations for more obscure strategy/action games (I know DS and Commandos isn't obscure)? I wish Necrovision didn't crash before the second level.

I'm not sure they're necessarily good (Spellforce 2 probably is), but Spellforce and Knight's Tale are two quirky, dumb cheesy RTS-RPGs that are frequently ultra-cheap on Steam.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I enjoyed Hotline Miami 2 in the beginning as I haven't really experienced off-screen deaths but I dropped it somewhere in the middle of the jungle levels. It just wasn't really fun anymore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I also think gating game content behind their achievement currency is a terrible idea, especially when Microsoft of all people got it right on the 360 by letting you unlock special avatar dress-up bits through achievements. I like unlocking fun bonuses, not poo poo I actually need.

Which games really do that though? Off the top of my head I think Anno 2070 might have a few important Uplay bonuses, but all of the other games I can think of just offer the same kind of inconsequential stuff that you'd see in pre-order bonuses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For Honor has a few cosmetics you can only purchase with uplay points but it's pretty meaningless since they're all hokey poo poo like Watch_Dogs decals for your medieval plate armor.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Does it matter if South Park is a UPlay key? When I bought Ubisoft games on Steam before, it always ended up with some bizarre clusterfuck where launching the game from steam would somehow end up launching it from UPlay anyways, so you might as well cut out the middleman.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah but imagine owning and not playing a game on a platform other than Steam???? Just thinking about not opening the Uplay client is exhausting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

James Woods Fan posted:

Planet Alcatraz
7,62 High Calibre

Shadow Tactics Blade of the Shogun is obscure and shouldn't be, it's a brilliant modern take on Commandos.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Synthbuttrange posted:

No developer logo, no game logo, load the game and you're ready to kick rear end once you get your own rear end off the bar stool.

Way too many games take their sweet time to actually let you play the game. It's one thing if it has to load during the logos, but most often it's just a waste of time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Which games really do that though? Off the top of my head I think Anno 2070 might have a few important Uplay bonuses, but all of the other games I can think of just offer the same kind of inconsequential stuff that you'd see in pre-order bonuses.

None of them. Even the ones that are things like in-game currency for Assassin's Creed or whatever are such meaningless amounts that it isn't worth the time to unlock them. There are a lot of legitimate complaints to level against Uplay, meaningful content locked behind Uplay Points isn't one of them.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

I passed Hotline Miami 2 multiple times :colbert:

The worst thing about it was it made the first game way too easy for me.

Also romanticising the selection of masks from the first game is a pretty stupid thing to do. Go back and play it again and notice that 2/3rds of those masks are useless.
I end up just playing with the one that makes all the kills bloodier because the perks of the other masks aren't really crucial

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gerblyn posted:

Does it matter if South Park is a UPlay key? When I bought Ubisoft games on Steam before, it always ended up with some bizarre clusterfuck where launching the game from steam would somehow end up launching it from UPlay anyways, so you might as well cut out the middleman.
One advantage is that Steam Uplay games use Steam's servers for updates and at least for me the pure Uplay server speeds are just awful in comparison.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

James Woods Fan posted:

Planet Alcatraz
7,62 High Calibre

The Sudden Strike series. They are older, almost Men of War-like WW2 strategy games but 2D. Visually they look kind of like Blitzkrieg but play immensely better in my opinion and are criminally underrated, probably because they were in legal limbo for a while. They spawned the seriously badass and unfortunately named Hidden Stroke series of mods/retail spinoffs with realistic armor penetration modelling and stuff.

The first three games were added to Steam a few months back and are dirt cheap. They ARE pretty hardcore and fastidious about how you should play/approach engaments so be wary of that. IF you are still in the market for probably the last great sprite based WW2 game you never heard about, you are in for a treat.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

None of them. Even the ones that are things like in-game currency for Assassin's Creed or whatever are such meaningless amounts that it isn't worth the time to unlock them. There are a lot of legitimate complaints to level against Uplay, meaningful content locked behind Uplay Points isn't one of them.

I went and had a peek at my Uplay games and there was a period where they liked to stick a bonus side mission in the Uplay rewards, so I guess if you're like me and care about having the "complete experience" then that's something you need versus want. Splinter Cell Conviction even has a whole game mode in there (that I think can also be unlocked by buying the DLC? I'm not sure). And a handful of games also seem to get genuinely useful multiplayer perks like extra weapons/money/XP (admittedly for games that I don't know who cared about the multiplayer even at launch, but w/e). The overwhelming majority of it is still bonus singleplayer goodies and cosmetic froofery though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Child of Light gave 600ish Uplay points while normal games mostly give 100. That gave me enough to stop thinking about points for a while.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh god, Bethesda is the worst offender.
You'll usually get 5-6 unskippable(!) logo/splash videos before you get to the menu.
Every single time you start the game.

Ugh.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
THe thing I hate about origin/uplay is that they do not pay well at all with steam's overlay and BPM. You want to set up a nice steam controller profile with a touch menu to use in, say, anno? Tough poo poo. Want to stream crysis to another device? Well, you better make sure everything is reset properly, otherwise it won't load! There's also how some ubisoft games you buy through steam force interactions between the markets. origin/uplay are opened forcefully along with the game, and never close themselves afterwards, which means that steam still thinks you are in game. I got hosed over by that with a refund. i was not happy.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Humble Bundle has Heat Signature $2 off for the next 2 days.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/heat-signature?hmb_source=search_bar

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/heat-signature-edition-upgrade

edit: wrong link

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 26, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turd Herder posted:

Humble Bundle has Heat Signature $2 off for the next 2 days.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/heat-signature-edition-upgrade

I think you meant this link

as that one just takes you to the upgrade to turn the normal game into the supporter's edition

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think you meant this link

as that one just takes you to the upgrade to turn the normal game into the supporter's edition

Thanks, I fixed it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you buy a multiplayer game on GOG that requires GOG Galaxy, can you play with other people who have the game on Steam?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Imagined posted:

If you buy a multiplayer game on GOG that requires GOG Galaxy, can you play with other people who have the game on Steam?

I'm pretty sure the answer is "maybe". Do you have a specific game in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Regarding the Steam vs. uPlay vs. Origin vs. GOG etc. chat, I have no particular affinity for Steam or Valve, that just happens to be where the vast vast majority of my games are. If there was some kind of combined games library app that would show and let me download/install everything I own everywhere I would be way more open to buy things on other stores. Too bad that will never happen.

Blattdorf posted:

Way too many games take their sweet time to actually let you play the game. It's one thing if it has to load during the logos, but most often it's just a waste of time.

One of the first things I do when I install a new game is check PCGamingWiki to see if (among other things) there is a way to remove the publisher/developer/middleware screens.