Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The author is really good at drawing action scenes. That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like the swole lady
Yeah she's the best character.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Right now I am lolling at my previous "wow these Claymores cause more problems than they help" statement. I really wasn't expecting the answer to where Claymores and Yoma come from to be another continent where they're designed to kill Dragon men. I really like the lore of this series in general.

The way Isely went down was super hosed up and creepy and I liked it a lot, especially the fact that he seemed to be regaining his humanity before then. I'm super curious about the Raki/Priscilla situation because it was so strange when he told Renée about it. Priscilla has stopped feeding and lessened in power since she met Raki but some day she'll reach breaking point and he'll try to kill her but probably fail. He's super chill about this though :stare: I like that he's about as strong as a person can be without Yoma cells though.

I'm curious about Awakenings in general because they seem to be far more powerful than you'd expect from the amount of Yoma the person has or independent of how strong they were before they awoke. Clare partially awakened annihilated Rigoldo with ease whereas he was the strongest male second only to Isley. Clare only has 1/2 the Yoma of others though and she seems way stronger so it's about way more than the cells themselves.

Beth and Alicia are just about to fight Riful which I am pretty hyped for. I expect Riful to go down but Luciela/Rafaela to awaken and be a Priscilla-tier abyssal one. Possibly Beth will die and Alicia will become another Abyssal.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nah, they revealed everything. what youma are, what was up with the organization, the nature and purpose of claymores.

Except the answers were empty?

Nate RFB posted:

Clare was special because she was basically Mega Man.

Anyway everything was answered, but gimme the GOD drat candy is right in that the characters basically went "OK, we just want to live here by ourselves in peace so we don't actually give a gently caress about this war with the dragons or whatever".

Actually, never mind. Nate RFB puts it eloquently.
That whole part not being explained and them just doing whatever is actually one of the high points of the story.

EmmyOk posted:

Right now I am lolling at my previous "wow these Claymores cause more problems than they help" statement. I really wasn't expecting the answer to where Claymores and Yoma come from to be another continent where they're designed to kill Dragon men. I really like the lore of this series in general.

The way Isely went down was super hosed up and creepy and I liked it a lot, especially the fact that he seemed to be regaining his humanity before then. I'm super curious about the Raki/Priscilla situation because it was so strange when he told Renée about it. Priscilla has stopped feeding and lessened in power since she met Raki but some day she'll reach breaking point and he'll try to kill her but probably fail. He's super chill about this though :stare: I like that he's about as strong as a person can be without Yoma cells though.

I'm curious about Awakenings in general because they seem to be far more powerful than you'd expect from the amount of Yoma the person has or independent of how strong they were before they awoke. Clare partially awakened annihilated Rigoldo with ease whereas he was the strongest male second only to Isley. Clare only has 1/2 the Yoma of others though and she seems way stronger so it's about way more than the cells themselves.

Beth and Alicia are just about to fight Riful which I am pretty hyped for. I expect Riful to go down but Luciela/Rafaela to awaken and be a Priscilla-tier abyssal one. Possibly Beth will die and Alicia will become another Abyssal.

You read fast. Isley going down was strangely sad. :(

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
I heard Fairy Tail got less bad towards the end, should I finish it? I stopped reading around the tournament arc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still fairy tail. if you didn't like it before you won't like it now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think i read every chapter except for the final one and i've not bothered because its fairy tail so i know exactly what it will be

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I watched the Fairy Tail anime (on 1.25x speed) until it went on break in the middle of the Grand Magic Games, then switched to the manga. I don't know if it's specifically because of the anime/manga split or because I started liking it less and less but after the GMG arc wrapped up I legitimately started experiencing Fairy Tail Amnesia like everyone else. I still remember a lot of details and moments from Phantom Lord, Laxus, Oracion Seis, Edolas, and Tenrou Island, and honestly the GMG arc is my favorite, but yeah, after that, whatever. It never gets flat out awful unless you're particularly squeamish about the part where the BDSM girl whips Erza in the dungeon or whatever.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
The last arc of Fairy Tail is just badly written, even for FT.

A non-specific spoiler reason: People die :( Oh, they're back! Nope, dead again. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk where you heard that the final arc was less bad but it's par for the course with fairy tail

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I stopped following FT after the timeskip, and the tournament where everyone randomly got some powerup to make them keep up with the power scaling. I heard the ending was a complete wet fart though. Like it just showed everyone's alive and confirmed some ships?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
which timeskip followed by a pointless tournament? you really have to be more specific, here.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
How's We Never Learn doing in Jump ratings-wise? They just introduced a new character, and it seems it's heading the Nisekoi way, which seems like a ratings stunt and would be a shame because thus far it hadn't gone full harem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

How's We Never Learn doing in Jump ratings-wise? They just introduced a new character, and it seems it's heading the Nisekoi way, which seems like a ratings stunt and would be a shame because thus far it hadn't gone full harem.

Huh, it was pretty obviously "full harem" from pretty early (though it was a slightly more modest harem of just 3 main girls, though I think there was at least one more added later from what I've read). I do give it credit for the "main choice" not being obvious, though; at first it seemed like it would definitely be the long black-hair one, but then it seemed like the short-hair might have a chance (since she got the first kiss IIRC).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like that lit girl is very aware of the triangle, and at the moment has no feelings toward the MC on the surface, so of course she has a lot of comedy run-ins into him. The manga has been doing a pretty good job of making none of them obvious winners though, since I feel even childhood swimmer girl friend feels like she has a decent shot considering the last few chapters came close to digging into the MC's feelings on her. Also for those unaware, the official release is actually ahead of the scans at the moment.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lit Girl is "Sleeping Beauty", Swimming Girl is "Little Mermaid", and Udon Girl is "Thumbelina". Is Maid Cafe Girl "Cinderella" (because after midnight she turns into a maid)?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I've started and caught up on Black Clover since I saw it was getting an anime and I was shocked that it routinely subverts your expectations on shounen tropes such as:

The "better" rival and childhood friend: routinely dunks on anyone that talks poo poo about the MC and is still his best friend
The masked good guy that's conveniently missing at weird times: just hideously scarred. They don't trust him completely though but that's still in the air.
The main character's dark uncontrollable power: maintained control the whole time and learned how to use it at will almost immediately after.
The main character has no magic to speak of but actually: just kidding, he completely lacks magic and it's served as a benefit to his team several times
The mentor is quickly completely outclassed by our MC: Nope, in fact the mentor has a fairly unique magic that makes him the natural antithesis to the Big Bad and has already proven he can go toe to toe with him.
The Super Powerful Good Guys are on par with our misfit heroes within two arcs of their introductions: Actually they still completely outclass most everyone still.

Among others. Basically I'm enjoying it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
remember, the cool handsome rival who belongs to an elite squad's popularity among women is absolutely pathetic compared to the plain stupid meathead mc

that makes me smile every time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's a Black Clover thread here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

remember, the cool handsome rival who belongs to an elite squad's popularity among women is absolutely pathetic compared to the plain stupid meathead mc

that makes me smile every time.

Asuta attracts people of all kinds.

Juno attracts midgets with big foreheads (hello spaceflower).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

I hope it's doing well, I haven't compared its place in the magazine. Losing it has been among the worst parts of having to discontinue my WSJ subscription, it's such a cute series and the scans are so slow. I miss my weekly antics, Ogata is stupid cute.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The scans are up to date as of now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Scans are only up to 31. We're on 32 this week

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 26, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I hope it's doing well, I haven't compared its place in the magazine. Losing it has been among the worst parts of having to discontinue my WSJ subscription, it's such a cute series and the scans are so slow. I miss my weekly antics, Ogata is stupid cute.

I like how the literature girl is genre-savvy to some degree, even though she's obviously also interested in the protagonist. It's good to have one character who understands everything that's going on with the other characters.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I don't think she has feelings just yet. Or at least, not to the point she's aware of it yet. She'll probably realize it later for drama though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Same, it figures that someone with her abilities would be able to read teenagers better than they can read themselves.

She hasn't outwardly admitted her feelings yet, but she's definitely catching on. There was that cute scene a ways back where they were talking and she was like, 'Well, why don't WE just go out? HA HA JUST KIDDING OBVIOUSLY.' -nervous sweating-

EDIT: I didn't even notice 31 was out on the scans, gosh that was adorable.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 26, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The principal is a right thundercunt though and I wouldn't be surprised if it came out in the wash that his attitude is part of what drove off the previous tutors.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 26, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's a lot of cliche stuff about that series, but some of the pages/faces are really funny. I think my favorite was the one where literature-girl realizes the protagonist was under the mascot suit in the lingerie shop. Like the gist of that gag wasn't anything that clever, but the execution/faces were hilarious.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hi I'm here to say I binged We Can't Study even though I should be studying and I loving love it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I binged it a while back. Honestly, I'm usually not a "harem" fan at all unless it wildly bucks tropes but that's a pretty good manga.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is Mirai Nikki good and manga or anime?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No. But it's sort of still entertaining I suppose despite being so trashy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched a bit of it before and it seemed interesting until that girl used the Escape Diary to wheelie out on a Harley and that surprised me

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

EmmyOk posted:

I watched a bit of it before and it seemed interesting until that girl used the Escape Diary to wheelie out on a Harley and that surprised me

Do you like Yuno? If so, go for it. If she's a bit much, just bail out now.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

Is Mirai Nikki good and manga or anime?

It's got an interesting premise, but I found it quickly tried way too hard to be edgy and I just kept reading to see how trashy it got in the end. The way the manga romanticizes the relationship between not!Shinji and Yuno was hosed up since it included scenes of him giving into Stockholm Syndrome. The grossest edgy backstory had to be the Shrine Priestess who was being kept prisoner by her cult and was constantly raped by followers of said cult. :barf:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think I'll give it a miss, I was hoping it would scratch my Death Note itch because I'm coming up on the end of that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
RobotXLaserbeam is kinda dumb but the SoL chapter made me laugh.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

EmmyOk posted:

I think I'll give it a miss, I was hoping it would scratch my Death Note itch because I'm coming up on the end of that.

It's been years since I read Mirai Nikki and there were some almost good parts where people are scheming and it tries to get you with its twists...

But it would not scratch a Death Note itch, unfortunately. The characters and their circumstances are too busy hamming it up and being over the top that you remember that more than what actually happens. Death Note had hamminess and over the top moments too, but you actually remember and recall certain moments and turning points of the characters actions.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
ive been rereading a couple mitsuru adachi series (katsu and cross game). i love how laid back his characters are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess Hungry Marie is cancelled now???