Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Turin Turambar posted:

It didn't make a sense to me having Reiner trying suicide now. I mean, it would make sense for him after returning from Paradis Island, but let's remember it has passed four years. It seems a scene put because we are having his flashback of guilt now.
When Reiner first got back from Paradis he still had his loyalty and zeal to sustain him, but after 4 years that's bled away, leaving him only a shell filled with his regrets. Now that they just got back from an extended military campaign, he's finally having some time to decompress and with it, contemplate his life choices. Possibly not the first time he's been contemplating this hard, either.

Add to that, now that the war is over he knows Marley will make another attempt on Paradis...

I'd say it's perfectly fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can't help but notice that the Tiber royal guard who opened the door was very huge. I wonder if Tiber has been modifying some people just like the Ackermanns were?

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

JahRoo posted:

It's unclear who Heros is and what he actually did. It says he defeated the devil of the earth, but we know that OG Ymir was long dead and the titans had been split by then, so if there was one single "Devil" it would most likely have been one of the titans,
unless the devil of the earth from the mythology is real and was still around doing stuff 100 years before the story.

I assume Heros is a (mostly) fictional invention, like just about everything about the Marley liberation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Turin Turambar posted:

It didn't make a sense to me having Reiner trying suicide now. I mean, it would make sense for him after returning from Paradis Island, but let's remember it has passed four years. It seems a scene put because we are having his flashback of guilt now.

I assume this wasn't his first attempt.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

In another forum it was pointed to me that it could have a logical reason: if he kills himself, the titan power will go to a random baby, not to Gabi or Falco, who he knows personally.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

If he tries and misses his neck he just regenerates like nothing happened, right?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he tries and misses his neck he just regenerates like nothing happened, right?

I remember during the Shiganshina arc Reiner said something like "If I hadn't transferred my brain function to the rest of my body at that moment, Levi's blade would've killed me for sure", whatever plot armor nonsense that means. And he only survived his head being blown off by the thunder spear because he transferred his neural activity to his titan's brain instead. So if he blows off his head without doing titan magic he'll die.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I bet that letter is going to Zeke, and I'm really curious to find out what it says.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mountaineer posted:

I bet that letter is going to Zeke, and I'm really curious to find out what it says.

"Levi wants a rematch"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

"git gud, bro"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I really doubt it will happen, it would be nice if Reiner somehow came to some understanding with the Paradise folks. Obviously they'll never be friendly to each other or anything, but none of his actions have been particularly beyond the pale given his circumstances and he did most of his evil poo poo as a child/teenager. There's no logical reason for him and his other Marley-Eldian peers to be the enemies of the main cast.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
While I also hope there's some understanding between Reiner and the Paradis crew, uh, Armin literally ate his only friend in the world while he screamed for help, and also Eren's probably never going to be over that whole mom-nom thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

While I really doubt it will happen, it would be nice if Reiner somehow came to some understanding with the Paradise folks. Obviously they'll never be friendly to each other or anything, but none of his actions have been particularly beyond the pale given his circumstances and he did most of his evil poo poo as a child/teenager. There's no logical reason for him and his other Marley-Eldian peers to be the enemies of the main cast.

He murdered hundreds of thousands of people, that is severely pushing the boundaries of what a person can come back from.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of which, I wonder how Annie is going to play into this arc of the story? I have to assume that the Paradise folks have figured out how to break through her crystal prison by this point. If AoT is going to take place on the mainland from this point out, Annie's going to have to play into this somehow, either having been convinced to support the coming insurrection or if she's been consumed like Bertholdt (possible Mikasa Female Titan?).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Annie is never coming back. She'll either stay in that crystal for the rest of the story or her powers were already transferred to another.

Also, Mikasa can't become a titan.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

He murdered hundreds of thousands of people, that is severely pushing the boundaries of what a person can come back from.
Yeah, and not only this but he was depicted as buying into the propaganda and government line way more than his average peer. His excuse gets winnowed down when you see the other Marley-Eldians being like "Hah, what? This is all bullshit. I'm just here for the perks."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's shown he deeply regrets his actions.

And Armin, through Bert's memories, will probably be able to understand what the situation was for the Marley infiltrators.

But if given the chance, the Walldians will absolutely execute him. They can't even just let him 'disappear' if he assists them, because they will want to secure the Armored Titan.

Reiner is utterly hosed. Even self-sacrifice would fall short of redemption.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Conspiratiorist posted:

Also, Mikasa can't become a titan.

e: Thought she was half-Eldian, but now I realize she isn't.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, but he was also a child soldier (and murdering indirectly through destroying a wall is sorta different because you're somewhat detached from the outcome). Eren seems to have sobered up a lot, and what little we've seen of him seems to imply he doesn't feel hatred towards the Marley Eldians anymore.

I mean, I still don't think it's gonna happen, but I feel like forgiving such a thing isn't outside of the realm of possibility. If anything, I'd consider Reiner more of a problem, since he has brainwashing to deal with (not to mention what happened to Bert).

edit: Also, as someone else mentioned, Armin has Bert's memories, so they should fully understand the circumstances of the invaders.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 15, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sasha is going to (or already has) eat Annie.

At long last, she's gonna get to eat all the meat she could ever want, and more...

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

e: Thought she was half-Eldian, but now I realize she isn't.

Wait, why not? Are the Ackermans not Eldian?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

redsniper posted:

Wait, why not? Are the Ackermans not Eldian?

No, that was a plot point during the rebellion arc. They don't have Eldian blood, so the progenitor titan's power can't control their minds.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Correct, confirmed by Isayama that the Ackermans can't turn into titans.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
And the ~Asians~ aren't Marley or Eldian, got it.
So then do we know why some family that isn't Eldian wound up on the island? Or :iiam:?

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
The Ackermans were products of titan research, that's probably why they can't be transformed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we don't have any information on that but it's not that surprising some people that weren't eldians ended up there if the king moved voluntarily. 100 years isn't so long that some of them couldn't have avoided marrying into an eldian family as well

at this point, guessing is all we can do about mikasa's family on her mom's side tho

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

redsniper posted:

So then do we know why some family that isn't Eldian wound up on the island? Or :iiam:?

The Japanese term that's used normally does refer to Asia (or the Orient or whatever) but since there wouldn't really be an "Asia" in this world, the term is meant to be taken literally: East Sea.

If the "Asians" were actually Paradisian natives it would explain why they were there, but who knows.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Hmmm, drat. I'm still hoping this is some kind of far future Earth, but I guess the weird backwards upside down Africa world map makes that unlikely.
Unless they're living inside hollow Earth with the power of titans. :v:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's not actually backwards on that map, just flipped vertically (so that our north is at the bottom). Either their northern magnetic pole is in Antarctica or they have a mapmaking convention that south is up. But "Asia" is still east from "Europe".

It looks like climate is very different though, since Paradis seems temperate when it's that world's Madagascar. And it's not clear if the Marley homeland is in "Europe" or in "Africa".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

redsniper posted:

Hmmm, drat. I'm still hoping this is some kind of far future Earth, but I guess the weird backwards upside down Africa world map makes that unlikely.
Unless they're living inside hollow Earth with the power of titans. :v:

Why do you want this to be part of the story/plot twist? It wouldn't really add anything to the story, since we haven't seen anything hinting at such a conclusion that isn't explained by the actual reveal.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There's nothing to really suggest it doesn't take place on Earth though. There's baseball, coffee, and no weird or alien animals at all except for titans (and they were created).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think the whole upside-down Africa thing was just a shortcut in the mode of "I need a map, I'll just flip one and fudge the coastlines a bit" not a planet of the apes twist.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

redsniper posted:

The wall governent is made up of several non-Eldian races who supported the king's utopia plans. Obviously the king would need a few people to remain not mindfucked to get the wall city underway. They help sepress technology to keep everyone inside the walls, and they run the wall cult to keep people from doing repairs/alterations that would reveal all the titans inside. The Ackermans were one of these families but they've been persecuted cause they have unknown super powers and presented a threat.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

galagazombie posted:

I think the whole upside-down Africa thing was just a shortcut in the mode of "I need a map, I'll just flip one and fudge the coastlines a bit" not a planet of the apes twist.

I think the mirror earth thing is intentional. I'm not sure where exactly it was mentioned, but I remember it being a minor point that their sun rises from the west.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

galagazombie posted:

Considering how much detail went into some of the intentional hints and clues early on for things that would be revealed much later... no. There is not a moment where the artist decided to flippantly grab an Earth map and fudge it.

That said... does Madagascar actually have an abundance natural resources?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DaveKap posted:

Considering how much detail went into some of the intentional hints and clues early on for things that would be revealed much later... no. There is not a moment where the artist decided to flippantly grab an Earth map and fudge it.

That said... does Madagascar actually have an abundance natural resources?

Do lemurs count?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Lol

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 26, 2017

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
What the gently caress is this?

TowerofOil fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 26, 2017

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

TowerofOil posted:

What the gently caress is this?

It's how titans were created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008