Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

In Training posted:

I know it's been a few months since release and there's kind of an unspoken acknowledgement of it but the geyser round in salmon run blows rear end.

Huh, I find them to be one of the easiest rounds, even with freelancers.

Griller rounds on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That being said the Nozzlenose and Gal power hour is gonna be awesome tomorrow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rexroom posted:

Huh, I find them to be one of the easiest rounds, even with freelancers.

Griller rounds on the other hand...

It's not a matter of difficulty it's just how random it is. Even a team of 4 communicating really well you just have to roll the dice. I rarely fail them but it's the only part of salmon run I just don't find fun at all

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This salmon run is the first one to kick me out of professional. Noobs aren't good with these weapons.

Meanwhile the skills at overachiever is lol so bad. I'm so doing most the work

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LethalGeek posted:

This salmon run is the first one to kick me out of professional. Noobs aren't good with these weapons.

Sorry to hear that, I had some seriously good teams and other than the griller round everything went well for me. Hopefully the random team you get next time is decent.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You should be able to win with any weapon set. Don't bother blaming your team for your losses in Salmon Run. Or any game mode.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

LethalGeek posted:

I grinded from apprentice to profreshional yesterday and boy is the difference between go-getter and lower skill brackets huge. Most of the failures were due to squids vehemently defending the few stray eggs while carrying one themselves. This at 7/8, 10 seconds left. :doh: I can't pick them up because I'm dead and expect my fellow kids to carry me.

Squiddies at go-getter and above have a better sense of teamwork

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A lot of low level players do feel they must get EVERY egg from a defeated boss Salmonid and that often leads to them getting separated or overwhelmed by spawning boss Salmonid. Once you realize there is such an influx of bosses that not every egg matters you do a lot better but it's hard to push past lower level because of others doing the must get every egg thing

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
I'm too close to dropping out of Profreshional and just going to skip this round. The goo tuber is just all wrong for Salmon Run, if it's not wrong for all possible purposes.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

You should be able to win with any weapon set. Don't bother blaming your team for your losses in Salmon Run. Or any game mode.

I've been doing this as long as you if not longer, I know the difference thanks.

Polish Avenger posted:

I'm too close to dropping out of Profreshional and just going to skip this round. The goo tuber is just all wrong for Salmon Run, if it's not wrong for all possible purposes.
I actually got the silly piece of junk to work some. I tried to get in the habit of charging then moving around looking for something big to pop up and blast. Doesn't really fix the lovely charge time but it sure seemed to make it easier.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, all four random players are exactly identical and equally as competent. All hail me and my three identical strangers!

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I feel that it's fair to blame your team in Salmon Run sometimes, because the objective isn't solo-able and sometimes you end up with 3 boat anchors for teammates. To say that a win can be guaranteed under any condition by the actions of a single player is plain wrong. For example, recently I had a low tide round 3 in Outpost where I was still spamming "This way!" 20 seconds after the round started while I was dealing with 4 bosses that had spawned by myself. I got overwhelmed, died, and then somehow we wiped seconds later. I've never seen 3 people phone it in like that, especially not on Profressional.

LethalGeek is right. As someone that's been busted down to Overachiever 2 or 3 times before, there is a gulf of skill between average players in Overachiever and Profressional. The last time I got demoted, it took hours to get promoted again. I recall a couple goldie rounds where I was literally the only one popping manhole covers, a mothership round where no one but me ran eggs, and all the other games where I was delivering double and sometimes triple the eggs of the next guy. All things considered, the majority of matches were round 3 wipes, and I was going after bosses and eggs like gangbusters while cleaning trash mobs. The reality is that many players don't pull their weight and it's more prevalent or obvious at Overachiever, and the other players can only take up so much slack before a loss is guaranteed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, all four random players are exactly identical and equally as competent. All hail me and my three identical strangers!

So you're asking to be carried by your teammates? Making up for your teammates' shortcomings while avoiding them having them make up for yours is also a big part of the game, no matter what the game mode.

Shame Boner posted:

I feel that it's fair to blame your team in Salmon Run sometimes, because the objective isn't solo-able and sometimes you end up with 3 boat anchors for teammates. To say that a win can be guaranteed under any condition by the actions of a single player is plain wrong. For example, recently I had a low tide round 3 in Outpost where I was still spamming "This way!" 20 seconds after the round started while I was dealing with 4 bosses that had spawned by myself. I got overwhelmed, died, and then somehow we wiped seconds later. I've never seen 3 people phone it in like that, especially not on Profressional.

LethalGeek is right. As someone that's been busted down to Overachiever 2 or 3 times before, there is a gulf of skill between average players in Overachiever and Profressional. The last time I got demoted, it took hours to get promoted again. I recall a couple goldie rounds where I was literally the only one popping manhole covers, a mothership round where no one but me ran eggs, and all the other games where I was delivering double and sometimes triple the eggs of the next guy. All things considered, the majority of matches were round 3 wipes, and I was going after bosses and eggs like gangbusters while cleaning trash mobs. The reality is that many players don't pull their weight and it's more prevalent or obvious at Overachiever, and the other players can only take up so much slack before a loss is guaranteed.

I suppose that's fair at least. I just find it unproductive to blame your team constantly without taking a look at yourself.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/FilthyHideousKinkajou.webm

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's a random matchmaking online team game

Regardless of how well you do sometimes you're gonna lose due to stuff your teammates do

I really don't care too much unless someone is straight-up AFK for half the round or whatever though

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
So is this Gal + nozzlenose theme going to be ok? I feel like a bunch of medium to long range shooters will be ok, as long as you can keep the smallfries off of you. Some people will probably really suck with the nozzlenoses but then how's that different from a charger?

The dps should be there in spades though, right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing that may be tricky is if people dont take care of the balloon head guys quick.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Polish Avenger posted:

So is this Gal + nozzlenose theme going to be ok? I feel like a bunch of medium to long range shooters will be ok, as long as you can keep the smallfries off of you. Some people will probably really suck with the nozzlenoses but then how's that different from a charger?

The dps should be there in spades though, right?

.96 Gal has its damage boosted in Salmon Run, so it can do some work despite having a lower fire rate than the .52 Gal.

And yeah, I feel like Steelheads are gonna be the trickiest things to deal with in this rotation.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I really don't care too much unless someone is straight-up AFK for half the round or whatever though
People going AFK for a little bit to take a phone call or pee or whatever I can tolerate, it's the people who are so bad at the game they're somehow making things worse than if they didn't touch the controller at all that trigger me personally.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

I know it's been a few months since release and there's kind of an unspoken acknowledgement of it but the geyser round in salmon run blows rear end.

I'll take a million geyser rounds over one griller round

Owers posted:

It's very misleading when Mr. Grizz tells everyone to look for the geyser that "glows the brightest" to track down the Goldie. I don't know if it's a localisation error or if the developers are deliberately misleading players to be clever or something, but it really doesn't help at all in a team-based coop game with very limited communication. The height of the geyser spray and the noise it makes is really what you should be looking out for to narrow down the Goldie's location.

There's a distinct glow that goes along with the height / sound the closer you get to the Goldie.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A lot of low level players do feel they must get EVERY egg from a defeated boss Salmonid and that often leads to them getting separated or overwhelmed by spawning boss Salmonid. Once you realize there is such an influx of bosses that not every egg matters you do a lot better but it's hard to push past lower level because of others doing the must get every egg thing

It is the worst though when like 3 bosses died in the same place and nobody wants to carry them to the basket. I've lost a couple rounds to timeout because of that.

Dr. Fetus posted:

So you're asking to be carried by your teammates?

If you're saddled with the goo tuber, absolutely

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 26, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I will say one good thing about the goo tuber at least it doesn't use a lot of ink. e-liter was crazy effective but sucked up so much ink that honestly I think I did better with the junk tuber sometimes.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dr. Fetus posted:

.96 Gal has its damage boosted in Salmon Run, so it can do some work despite having a lower fire rate than the .52 Gal.

And yeah, I feel like Steelheads are gonna be the trickiest things to deal with in this rotation.

I usually try to pre-fire the spot when I have an automatic shooter, is there a quick, dirty reference point for where to prefire the steelhead balloon, like one using a point on their body?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I got this yesterday and the first game I played online I had a guy with the paintbrush just swinging it around our spawn that was already covered in paint. Nice kick in the head to get me excited for being mad at my team.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

I got this yesterday and the first game I played online I had a guy with the paintbrush just swinging it around our spawn that was already covered in paint. Nice kick in the head to get me excited for being mad at my team.

It was probably a literal child on the other side, so try not to get too mad. I noticed the same thing when I first started playing turf war and it seems like matchmaking takes a bit to figure out how to place you with other players close in skill level. Maybe I'm full of poo poo, but it seems like turf war has the same skill ranking mechanic as splatfest, except during splatfest, your matchmaking rating is displayed as your "power level".

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shame Boner posted:

Maybe I'm full of poo poo, but it seems like turf war has the same skill ranking mechanic as splatfest, except during splatfest, your matchmaking rating is displayed as your "power level".
It absolutely does, I did a post a while ago talking about how different turf war is for me vs joining my brand new account friend. I have to take my foot off the gas when I'm playing with her for the most part less I make some kid cry.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Stan Taylor posted:

I would ignore your results for a while, it's going to be bad until it has enough matchmaking data to more accurately match you.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I kinda warmed up to the gootuber after the last salmon rotation. There are better chargers but that thing inks a ton ground really fast which let's you carve a path straight to the steelheads

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Also this new splatling is amazing

So close to joining the s rank cool kids club

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i wish this was the weekend loadout, then i wouldve had enough time to get an even higher score with a good weapon liek the goo tuber!!!1 (throws all other weapons into recycling bin)

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

One point :psyboom:

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
Apparently, in the event of a tie, Judd will randomly assign an extra point to one team so someone wins. You might have been luckier than you think.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I swear I've seen a one where they had the same score and one team apparently won by less than a point.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Smiles posted:

i wish this was the weekend loadout, then i wouldve had enough time to get an even higher score with a good weapon liek the goo tuber!!!1 (throws all other weapons into recycling bin)

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

lmao

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Remember to rescue randos spamming "THIS WAY!!" when they're guarding mile-away eggs or some stupid poo poo, or else they'll never stop doing it

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat. Game's being laggy af tonight. Like the tower will rubber band forward. Should prob call it quits before I drop a rank.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I just had two lone wolf Salmon Runs. Got hosed immediately. What the gently caress is happening.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, now this is just silly. 4 Aerospray RGs, and 31 Ballers. 1.4.0, please save us.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
I unlocked the Aerospray RG the other day, maybe I should buy it and have some stupid baller fun in turf war while it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spellman posted:

Remember to rescue randos spamming "THIS WAY!!" when they're guarding mile-away eggs or some stupid poo poo, or else they'll never stop doing it

This assumes they're willing to actually listen.

They are not always willing to actually listen.