Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

owl_pellet posted:

Regarding the Steam vs. uPlay vs. Origin vs. GOG etc. chat, I have no particular affinity for Steam or Valve, that just happens to be where the vast vast majority of my games are. If there was some kind of combined games library app that would show and let me download/install everything I own everywhere I would be way more open to buy things on other stores. Too bad that will never happen.

Plus unified friends list with invite system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like that Origin lets you view all your installed DLC and organize them in tidy little submenu, I wish more clients would do that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Consumers shouldn't give a hot poo poo about Ubisoft's or EA's bottom lines either through their own services or copy protection and I question the opinions of anyone that says 'my dude its fine!' because the only reason why Uplay or Origin exists is for Ubisoft and Electronic Arts to make more money. Do they offer anything for the end-user now? Without defaulting to company profits?

Yes origin access is great.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

owl_pellet posted:

Regarding the Steam vs. uPlay vs. Origin vs. GOG etc. chat, I have no particular affinity for Steam or Valve, that just happens to be where the vast vast majority of my games are. If there was some kind of combined games library app that would show and let me download/install everything I own everywhere I would be way more open to buy things on other stores. Too bad that will never happen.

One of the first things I do when I install a new game is check PCGamingWiki to see if (among other things) there is a way to remove the publisher/developer/middleware screens.

Bethesda games are usually pretty easy, deleting .bin files usually, sometimes empty ones with the same file name. Among the first mods I'll do to games.

Digirat posted:

Yes origin access is great.

Like I said before I'm not 'in' to EA games as such that a service provided by them does anything for me, but at least they are doing the value thing for people. Before it was 'we have our EA games!' and then they danced a little and that was it. That was still when Steam was flawless in it's reputation too so you can imagine how well that went down.
This sort of thing seems to be happening with TV too, companies are trying to divorce Netflix and instead run a streaming service just for their own content. They are doing it with a new Star Trek I guess? I guess everyone is vying to bring piracy back.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I need to do a quick shoutout to Steamworld Dig 2, because I'm having a blast. You play a robot in search of the protagonist from the first game, but other than that, story-wise, you don't really need to have played the first one (but you should, because it also is a good game).

The gameplay is just really fun, you dig deep into a mine, unearth increasingly precious minerals to upgrade your gear, you explore nooks and crannies for secrets and you do puzzles and light platforming in challenge rooms. The world is more or less open, with a small metroidvania aspect as you unlock more movement options (that are really fun to use there's a grappling hook and incentive to explore previous areas with your new abilities. The pacing is great, the characters are charming and you should all play it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Orv posted:

None of them. Even the ones that are things like in-game currency for Assassin's Creed or whatever are such meaningless amounts that it isn't worth the time to unlock them. There are a lot of legitimate complaints to level against Uplay, meaningful content locked behind Uplay Points isn't one of them.

Granted I don't use Uplay very much but it happens that most of the games I've played on there have meaningful content locked up in their rewards system. Anno 2070, Settlers 7, Assassin's Creed II and III, and Far Cry 3 all have upgrades, weapons, or missions locked up. The Anno 2070 one is particularly bad because it can actually change the cadence of your production chains.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Origin Access includes the Mass Effect games, but not the DLC's. Just getting the generally recommended DLC's can easily cost you as much as a brand new AAA title, if not more, so that's fun. It's still a decent deal if you want to play other games though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Eh, that's the same price that's on steam right now. 10% off until September 28.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Ruiner is out on Steam and GoG, a mix between Hotline Miami and cyberpunk.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, that's the same price that's on steam right now. 10% off until September 28.

Huh, so people who bought on day one had to pay more? It was 13.49€ for me with 10% discount. That's the first time I've seen game change its price day (or two) after release.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oenis posted:

I need to do a quick shoutout to Steamworld Dig 2, because I'm having a blast. You play a robot in search of the protagonist from the first game, but other than that, story-wise, you don't really need to have played the first one (but you should, because it also is a good game).

The gameplay is just really fun, you dig deep into a mine, unearth increasingly precious minerals to upgrade your gear, you explore nooks and crannies for secrets and you do puzzles and light platforming in challenge rooms. The world is more or less open, with a small metroidvania aspect as you unlock more movement options that are really fun to use there's a grappling hook and incentive to explore previous areas with your new abilities. The pacing is great, the characters are charming and you should all play it.

Ooooh, now you done it.
That is my gaming kryptonite.

:homebrew:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sininu posted:

Huh, so people who bought on day one had to pay more? It was 13.49€ for me with 10% discount. That's the first time I've seen game change its price day (or two) after release.

I'm pretty sure it's been 10% off the whole time. I don't think I bought it on release day, it might have been the next day, but I paid $13.49.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been 10% off the whole time. I don't think I bought it on release day, it might have been the next day, but I paid $13.49.

Yes, it was 10% off from the beginning, I didn't claim anything different. It's that the base price is lower now.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Sininu posted:

Looks like it was 13.49 euros/dollars at release but the euro price was adjusted for exchange rate a day after release. So yeah, you paid 1.8e extra if you bought on release date.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If I bought a game, only played an hour, but then waited over 2 weeks, am I poo poo out luck on a refund? Does an appeal directly to customer support ever work?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Megasabin posted:

If I bought a game, only played an hour, but then waited over 2 weeks, am I poo poo out luck on a refund? Does an appeal directly to customer support ever work?

I've seen people posting about both succeeding and failing at getting a refund that way.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Megasabin posted:

Sininu posted:

I've seen people posting about both succeeding and failing at getting a refund that way.

You can at least try. The worst that will happen is it will get denied.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blattdorf posted:

It basically is Hotline, but with a lot more production values, a lot more mechanics going down that kind of make it even more bullet helly at times and a more coherent plot.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Pinball FX3 is out today.

All the old tables from FX2 are backwards compatible, though there are few things to be aware of:

The South Park and football DLCs are both not available on FX3 due to licensing issues.
Edit: Ms. Splosionman and Plants vs Zombies are also missing.

These new DLC packs consist of standalone FX2 tables, so you might already own them, even though it doesn't show in the Steam client:

Marvel Pinball: Heavy Hitters
Civil War
Deadpool
Venom

Marvel Pinball: Marvel Legends Pack
Captain America
Doctor Strange
Fantastic Four

Marvel Pinball: Cinematic Pack
Guardians of the Galaxy
Age of Ultron
Ant Man

Star Wars Pinball: Unsung Heroes
Rogue One
Rebels

Medieval Pack
Excalibur
Epic Quest

Sci-Fi Pack
Mars
Paranormal
Earth Defense

Basically, the only new stuff is Universal Classics™ Pinball

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 26, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fart of Presto posted:

Pinball FX3 is out today.

All the old tables from FX2 are backwards compatible, though there are few things to be aware of:

The South Park and football DLCs are both not available on FX3 due to licensing issues.

These new DLC packs consist of standalone FX2 tables, so you might already own them, even though it doesn't show in the Steam client:

Marvel Pinball: Heavy Hitters
Civil War
Deadpool
Venom

Marvel Pinball: Marvel Legends Pack
Captain America
Doctor Strange
Fantastic Four

Marvel Pinball: Cinematic Pack
Guardians of the Galaxy
Age of Ultron
Ant Man

Star Wars Pinball: Unsung Heroes
Rogue One
Rebels

Medieval Pack
Excalibur
Epic Quest

Sci-Fi Pack
Mars
Paranormal
Earth Defense

Basically, the only new stuff are these two packs: Universal Classics™ Pinball and Marvel Pinball Vengeance and Virtue Pack

Ms. Splosion Man table is still missing?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm interested to know what games have 'meaningful content' locked behind Upoints.
Most stuff I've seen are:
-A single 10 minute mission that doesn't give you anything cool and no-one ever mentions again. (Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, one of the Splinter Cells)
-A gun that's kinda neat at most (One of the Far Crys had the Robocop gun).
-Dress-ups (Gun/vehicle reskins, fashion clothing)

You can buy Discount coupons with Uplay points though.
You can Gamestop Rent an Ubisoft game, bust out things that award you Uplay points, return the game, then use the Uplay points to buy a Discount coupon.

I think Same Game/Different platform tracks separately too. I swear I doubled up on Uplay points with The Crew by playing it on PS4 then replaying it on PC when it was free to claim.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Unless I'm missing something, all four of these tables are older ones.

Went through all of the FX3 packs that it said I didn't own, and the only new things I saw were the Universal movies tables.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Yo there's a Kalypso Media sale on right now so you can grab your Tropicos or whatnot but I really want to highlight Project Highrise for just $5. If you had any love for the old SimTower/Yoot Tower games, I honestly think Project Highrise is the better take on the tower-building genre. You can read more about how much I love it here.

Imperium Romanum, Grand Ages: Rome, and Patrician IV are also pro sim picks, if you're in the mood. All $3 or less right now.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Too Shy Guy posted:

Yo there's a Kalypso Media sale on right now so you can grab your Tropicos or whatnot but I really want to highlight Project Highrise for just $5. If you had any love for the old SimTower/Yoot Tower games, I honestly think Project Highrise is the better take on the tower-building genre. You can read more about how much I love it here.

Imperium Romanum, Grand Ages: Rome, and Patrician IV are also pro sim picks, if you're in the mood. All $3 or less right now.

Project Highrise looks cool. I've really been in the mood for a building game of some sort.

Which Tropico should I get if I've never played one? Is the latest one the best?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Croccers posted:

I'm interested to know what games have 'meaningful content' locked behind Upoints.

FarCry 4 had the most meaningful content, pretty elephants.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Sininu posted:

Ms. Splosion Man table is still missing?

Yeah, along with Plant vs Zombies.

Tony Phillips posted:

Unless I'm missing something, all four of these tables are older ones.

Went through all of the FX3 packs that it said I didn't own, and the only new things I saw were the Universal movies tables.
You are absolutely correct. Edited my post :)

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 26, 2017

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Blisster posted:

Project Highrise looks cool. I've really been in the mood for a building game of some sort.

Which Tropico should I get if I've never played one? Is the latest one the best?

It depends on what you want. Tropico 4 is more freeform and has more building options, allowing you to build whatever kind of island you want, at the cost of being extremely easy and boring past the first couple years of any given island. Tropico 5 has more progression on any given island, forcing you to adjust to the demands of different eras, but has fewer buildings and is still pretty easy.

Tropico 3 is basically just a worse Tropico 4, and I've never played one and two so I can't speak to those.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Blattdorf posted:

Came here explicitly to find reactions to it.

Patiently waiting :munch:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Trick Question posted:

Tropico 3 is basically just a worse Tropico 4, and I've never played one and two so I can't speak to those.

The original Tropico has aged pretty poorly and has a load of issues with its simulations that 3 mostly addresses. Tropico 2 is a fascinating trainwreck of design that almost works as a sort of Tropico/Port Royale/Theme Park Franken-thing, but too many of those parts are just straight broken to actually be any fun.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Project highrise is cool and good, but I miss my insane elevator micromanaging :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is Tropico 5 good? I have 3 and 4. I played some 3. I don't know if I ever played 4. Though I don't know why I'm considering it, since I am not relaly interested in the Tropicos I have.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
There are way too many interesting games coming out now. Not enough time for all of them.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Cojawfee posted:

Is Tropico 5 good? I have 3 and 4. I played some 3. I don't know if I ever played 4. Though I don't know why I'm considering it, since I am not relaly interested in the Tropicos I have.

I've played the hell out of Tropico 3.

Tropico 4 wasn't exactly impressive because it was more of the same (which was still good), but they've changed their UI and it plain annoyed me whenever I had to interact with it.

I couldn't get into Tropico 5 because of the interface. The UI is similar to 4, but somehow they've developed it even further (read: made it worse).

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 26, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I see The Guild 3 came out, but it already has a poo poo score on Steam. Shame

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I see The Guild 3 came out, but it already has a poo poo score on Steam. Shame

I think people are being overly harsh on it, but it's definitely the very definition of Early Access.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Croccers posted:

Most stuff I've seen are:
-A single 10 minute mission that doesn't give you anything cool and no-one ever mentions again. (Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, one of the Splinter Cells)
-A gun that's kinda neat at most (One of the Far Crys had the Robocop gun).
-Dress-ups (Gun/vehicle reskins, fashion clothing)

RUSE has units locked behind the uplay points., which is a nightmare for an RTS.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DatonKallandor posted:

RUSE has units locked behind the uplay points., which is a nightmare for an RTS.

Was that game even that good? I remember it coming out, then nothing. Also I think that was early UPlay so maybe they wanted to try points then found that it wasn't going to work that well.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It is. You should play 4 first though if you already own it, they go on sale often enough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trick Question posted:

It is. You should play 4 first though if you already own it, they go on sale often enough.

Do you need the Tropico 4 DLC for the game to be complete, ala Paradox games / Civ V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Humble THQ Nordic Playsation Bundle Encore

A really terrible limited quantity bundle. One of the worst bundles I've seen. The original loving Red Faction? Are you serious? Two copies of Darksiders 1 and 2?

$1
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Red Faction 1
Super Dungeon Bros
Deponia
ArcaniA: The Complete Tale

$8
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Destroy All Humans
Legend of Kay Anniversary
Destroy All Humans 2

$15