Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What the hell happened to the chain?

I can only think that somehow there are fake doors and the room does not in fact rotate 180 degrees but moves in another way to reveal and open the real door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Carbon dioxide posted:

What the hell happened to the chain?

I can only think that somehow there are fake doors and the room does not in fact rotate 180 degrees but moves in another way to reveal and open the real door.

Both "back doors" are fake. The room doesn't rotate, it's an elevator that moves up and down; also strawberry house and grape house are on top of each other (with strawberry on top, probably), and the contact elevator rotates 180° to give the illusion that they aren't.

Give me five sec as I fire up photoshop.

e. like this, probably:

Grape house is below strawberry house.

So the chain is still there, on the fake strawberry house door, only since the room has moved up the chain's not visible anymore.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 24, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think I have it figured out why the chain disappeared.

So, we can assume the circular hall rotates and each building is actually side by side. I had thought the strawberry/grape on the far door of the hall was a projection like it is on everything else.

But it seems like that isn't the case. So where did the chain go and how did the design on the door change? Easy - the door rotated.

Like an old school secret passage:

The hinges on the door are fake, it rotates on a pivot in the middle and one face has a strawberry and the other has a grape.

Hell, everything in this drat funhouse rotates - the elevator, the hall and the doors. That's the trick of the place.

Nothing moves up or down or left of right, it just spins.

Now, what is actually on the other side of that door? I have absolutely no idea.

Bonus crazy theory - the "super smooth" elevator between the houses doesn't move at all. It says perfectly still while the entire grape/strawberry houses move around it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 24, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Bonus crazy theory - the "super smooth" elevator between the houses doesn't move at all. It says perfectly still while the entire grape/strawberry houses move around it.

However, Souda said the compass on Nagito's multitool rotated - which means the platform he's standing on has to be moving.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gorilla Salad posted:

But it seems like that isn't the case. So where did the chain go and how did the design on the door change? Easy - the door rotated.

Like an old school secret passage:

Hmmm, the mystery here is if the two houses are adjacent and it's the hall that rotates, then it should still show the back door chained up no matter which house they enter the hall from. As for the rotating door, if the wire was attached to Mechamaru, tied to the pillar, and then to the doorknob, wouldn't the wire break when the door rotates and they'd see bit of it sticking out from the sides?

Mikl posted:

Both "back doors" are fake. The room doesn't rotate, it's an elevator that moves up and down; also strawberry house and grape house are on top of each other (with strawberry on top, probably), and the contact elevator rotates 180° to give the illusion that they aren't.

e. like this, probably:

So the chain is still there, on the fake strawberry house door, only since the room has moved up the chain's not visible anymore.

This theory is slowly making more sense to me, but my main problem here is the contact elevator. Let's say we came from Grape House and used the contact elevator, if it does rotate 180° then shouldn't it stop north of the Final Dead Room and be facing outside?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mikl posted:

- At 7.30 AM the alarm clock goes off, and wakes up the guys, who go to turn it off. At the same time, the killer pushes the grape house button, the room moves (upwards or downwards, it's an elevator), and the cable pulls the heavy column on top of Mechamaru. CRUNCH, Mechamaru's dead; the door handle comes off, pulled by the metal cable, and Akane and the guys (minus Nagito) hear the crashing sound.

If he was killed by the heavy column falling atop him, why is there rubble from the column underneath his body?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Narsham posted:

If he was killed by the heavy column falling atop him, why is there rubble from the column underneath his body?

I dunno :shrug:

Maybe the killer moved the body, to make it look like the column isn't the murder weapon? I'm honestly puzzled by some details, and I admit that some of the truth bullets don't quite fit with my theory.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

I've just finished reading through this LP and the first one. FPZero, you're doing a great job.

I won't join in speculation since I read the translation LPs then resorted to tumblr for the rest of DR2, and although I don't remember much I'd hate to give something away by accident. I know who the culprit is this time around, but I can't remember how they did it, so I'm intrigued to find out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

amigolupus posted:

This theory is slowly making more sense to me, but my main problem here is the contact elevator. Let's say we came from Grape House and used the contact elevator, if it does rotate 180° then shouldn't it stop north of the Final Dead Room and be facing outside?

That's assuming that the pivot point of the rotation is the Tower.

What if it's the houses themselves?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Having shotgunned most of the LP over the last two weeks, I have to say I'm hoping Chiaki is the killer this time. Cause one thing I've disliked about every trial is that she seems to be the one contributing almost everything other than Nagito while everyone else just stands around making dumb remarks until Hijame connects the dots.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just to let everyone know, it's going to be a few days before the trial can begin. I'm basically nowhere near prepared to start posting updates because I have zero backlog right now. It's all recorded and I've done the videos and stuff, but only one of the actual screenshot updates is written at the moment. These trials are best when there's little time in between updates so I'm gonna try and take a few days to write a majority of them before we begin. (And I also have to contend with schoolwork and the burning desire to play V3 since that comes out this week)

Please keep discussing the possibilities amongst yourselves. I'm really enjoying reading the speculation for this trial since it's quite a confusing one going in!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Having shotgunned most of the LP over the last two weeks, I have to say I'm hoping Chiaki is the killer this time. Cause one thing I've disliked about every trial is that she seems to be the one contributing almost everything other than Nagito while everyone else just stands around making dumb remarks until Hijame connects the dots.

She's basically Kirigiri with a gaming hobby and narcolepsy.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Mikl posted:

e. like this, probably:

amigolupus posted:

Well... it feels a little complicated, but it could be that the elevator is traveling up the house in a bit of a spiral?

So say for instance when you go into the elevator in grape house and face the door, south is at your back and you're looking north. The elevator moves on a track that wraps around the outside of the building as it ascends to the strawberry level, and when you arrive, you are now facing south as you exit.

Not sure if I explained that all too well, might do an mspaint mockup when I get home.

EDIT: So like this basically

I cut off the strawberry hallway, but it is in fact slightly longer than the grape hallway to line up exactly with the tower.

From looking at the octagon's layout, it appears to be a rectangle surrounded by a hexagon, which fits my hasty cut and paste job. From the outside, the entire building is probably a big hexagonal tower.
In the far view below, you can also see that the right side wall is closer than the left side, so that's the hallway.

I went back to look at the tour of Grape house to see if there was a sneaky ceiling hatch somewhere, but you can't even see the ceiling, so nah. I assume the hatch drops down into the Monokuma archives.

VibrantPareidolia fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 25, 2017

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
DR3 is out now for 60 bux.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I have to wait three weeks for my birthday :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I preordered it for $10 off! :sparkles:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It would be nice if I had more time to play games. Desperate to know what happens in dr3, clearing dr2 would be nice as this game is kind of alone in it's gameplay style and playing is much different from seeing it even given imagination.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll probably buy DR3 on Sunday, as my October budget will go into effect that day.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Since I've started playing Danganronpa V3, let me warn anyone who hasn't finished this game: While I have no idea if the game is truly separate from the DR1, 2, Ultra Despair Girls and the DR3 animes, it does show a very short recap of all four games right when you start up a new file And there are very important spoilers for DR2 that we haven't seen yet shown for a split second. Not to mention the animes can be considered spoilers for DR2 as well. In that case, if you haven't seen the ending of DR2 yet because you're reading this LP but you want to play V3, I'd recommend skipping that video if possible. You'll know when it's playing because it starts off with scenes from DR1 before transitioning to scenes from 2. Can't speak to anything beyond mid-chapter 1 though.

Oh and yeah the game is good so far. Visually the presentation is fantastic. No guarantees, but as I play I'm already thinking of how I could LP it. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've seen everything but UDG because I heard about that garbage, and actually enjoyed the anime for what it was, but thanks for the warning.

Selane
May 19, 2006

FPzero posted:

:siren: Since I've started playing Danganronpa V3, let me warn anyone who hasn't finished this game: While I have no idea if the game is truly separate from the DR1, 2, Ultra Despair Girls and the DR3 animes, it does show a very short recap of all four games right when you start up a new file And there are very important spoilers for DR2 that we haven't seen yet shown for a split second. Not to mention the animes can be considered spoilers for DR2 as well. In that case, if you haven't seen the ending of DR2 yet because you're reading this LP but you want to play V3, I'd recommend skipping that video if possible. You'll know when it's playing because it starts off with scenes from DR1 before transitioning to scenes from 2. Can't speak to anything beyond mid-chapter 1 though.

Oh and yeah the game is good so far. Visually the presentation is fantastic. No guarantees, but as I play I'm already thinking of how I could LP it. :v:

Cross posting my summary from the VN thread. I'll spoil it because of a tiny DR2 "spoiler".

quote:

I just finished the first chapter of Danganronpa 3 and it pretty much blew my loving mind out the back of my skull. Like holy poo poo, the first case of DR3 is on par with the 5th case of DR2, which is a height I thought they'd never reach again. And on top of that, it's amazing from a gameplay perspective too. I'm sure everyone will bitch about every one of the minigames, since that's the cool thing to do, but they all feel great to me.

-Hangman's Gambit is good because it bears no relation to the DR2 version, it's somewhat like the one from DR1, only not super trivial so it's actually fun.
-Even loving Rebuttal Showdown is fun now because you get infinite cuts and have to aim and choose the direction, and can cut multiple lines at once. It's like the mechanic from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, of all things.
-Scrum Debates are fun because of how ridiculously over the top they are.
-V counters add a bit of challenge to Nonstop Debates and are great because they are completely optional, and being able to lie is a great new mechanic.
-Bullet Time Battle Panic Talk Action Argument Armament is the best version yet, and is less annoying yet more engaging.

I'm also impressed at how close to their chest they played everything with the demo...not only was the case in the demo completely made up(though obviously the DR1/DR2 characters weren't going to show up in the actual game), but there are entire major areas of the school that they edited out of the demo. Hell, even the minigames used in the demo don't show up in the first case, I'm surprised at how completely fresh everything about it felt.

Also, buy it because Spike Chunsoft owns. They've been doing a great job of porting all of their best games stranded on portables(999/VLR/DR1/DR2) to PC, and now having a simultaneous Steam release of DR3 alongside the PS4 launch is amazing.

Disclaimer: be advised that even the very beginning of DR3 contains massive spoilers for every other part of the DR franchise

Seriously somehow DR3 is even more amazing than I was expecting so far.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Selane posted:

Cross posting my summary from the VN thread. I'll spoil it because of a tiny DR2 "spoiler".

I haven't read any of that because it's not clear what the spoiler bars refer to. DR2? DRV3? I'm just checking because I obviously don't want to be spoiled on anything for it. In general, I'd also like to keep V3 chat out of here for the most part just because it's too new and potentially spoiler-y for this thread.

Selane
May 19, 2006

FPzero posted:

I haven't read any of that because it's not clear what the spoiler bars refer to. DR2? DRV3? I'm just checking because I obviously don't want to be spoiled on anything for it. In general, I'd also like to keep V3 chat out of here for the most part just because it's too new and potentially spoiler-y for this thread.

There's no DR3 spoilers in there and none from DR2 either, I only spoiled it because of a very nonspecific reference to something that happens later in DR2. Anyway, I'm not gonna mention anything else about it other than to say so far it's way better than I expected in every way, and I had pretty high expectations to begin with.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Setting my new D3 copy to Japanese audio, thank you very much!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Selane posted:

And purchased. I was so hoping to get things done this week, too... :sigh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TastyLemonDrops posted:

40bux if you're one of the five people who owns a vita. :v:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Walmart is supposed to have the PS4 version for $40

Agreen
May 16, 2009
Just beat this game last week in anticipation of V3, and man I wish I could experience it again for the first time. You guys reading through this are in for a real treat.

Amazing job on the LP so far! You've helped me pick out a few things I didn't notice while playing the game.

And now to play V3...

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: There's this one novel I like... It's a peculiar mystery story...
: ...Huh? A novel?

: The story is told from the point-of-view of a high school girl involved in a serial killer mystery... But when you get to the end...
: Surprise, surprise! The girl was actually the killer! Of course, the story is written carefully so the reader doesn't learn the ending in the middle of the story... The protagonist is just a projection of the reader... And this projection turns out to be the killer... Which means the killer you were looking for the whole time was inside you all along... How do you feel about novels like that?
: Wh-What the heck are you talking about...? You're just jumping from one topic to another... And...I can't comment on a book that I've never read before.

This is a reference to Danganronpa Zero, right? I'm pretty sure this is a reference to Danganronpa Zero. Uh, spoilers for Danganronpa Zero.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 27, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Slightly revised theory regarding Mechamaru's murder:

- The killer asks Mechamaru to meet him in the central room at around 5 AM (Fuyuhiko sees him walking downstairs), ambushes him, smashing his Sleepy Time button with the hammer. (Or possibly convinces him to turn himself off?) Mechamaru goes unconcious. Then the killer goes to grape house and moves the room, bringing Mechamaru over to the grape house "side" (in reality it's below strawberry house). This is necessary for the killer to move Mechamaru over to grape house, because he risked being seen otherwise, not to mention that Mechamaru's probably heavy as gently caress; when he's "off", in sleepy time, the room doesn't detect him so it can be moved while he's inside.

- The killer ties Mechamaru with the steel cable, loops it around the column, and ties to the door handle. Then he sets Mechamaru's internal wake-up alarm for 7.30 AM.

- The killer goes to both strawberry house and grape house and turns the clocks back two hours, and sets the alarms of the strawberry house clock for 5.30 AM (which is really 7.30 AM, since the clocks have been turned back two hours).

- At 7.30 AM the alarm clock goes off, and wakes up the guys, who go to turn it off. At the same time, the killer pushes the grape house button, the room moves (upwards or downwards, it's an elevator), and the cable pulls the heavy column on top of Mechamaru. CRUNCH, Mechamaru's dead; the door handle comes off, pulled by the metal cable, and Akane and the guys (minus Nagito) hear the crashing sound.

- Everyone goes back to sleep. The killer goes to grape house, goes into the central room and chains up the back door (to fudge things a bit), sets the alarm clock back to the original time, breaks the elevator, and climbs through the passage Nagito used to get to grape house into the Final Dead Room, comes out, smashes the central room button, and goes back to sleep.

Critical points!

1. The killer has to be someone who sleeps in strawberry house: Gundham, Nagito, Fuyuhiko, or Kazuichi. Otherwise the killer's misdirection, setting things up so it looks the central room can only be accessed from grape house, would make no sense.
2. It can't be Nagito: the alibi set-up, by using the clock as an alarm, involved everyone but Nagito, and it'd make no sense to set the alarm only to completely fail to show up.
3. On the other hand, Gundham shouldn't have heard the alarm clock, but did... As if he was waiting for it to go off.
4. Likewise, Gundham was the only one who could have caused the room to move remotely (hamsters!).

I think it's Gundham. But I'm not 100% sure.

And now, to be fair, things that don't quite fit with my theory:

1. Mechamaru's body was moved (the column fragments were below his body). Why? Or maybe the column was smashed and then Mechamaru was killed? That'd throw a wrench in my theory wouldn't it :laugh:
2. Why did the killer chain up the fake strawberry house door? Maybe they didn't realize how the room works? But they should have, since they clearly have accessed the final dead room and used the passage to move between the two houses.
3. Why did the killer set the alarm in Mechamaru's clock for 7.30 AM? The timing is mighty suspicious, since it's more or less the time of death. Was Mechamaru still unconcious when he died or had he woken up? If he'd woken up, how was the room moved with him inside?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Apparently Monokuma's japanese voice actor was changed for V3. Why was this?

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Grouchio posted:

Apparently Monokuma's japanese voice actor was changed for V3. Why was this?

Pretty sure the old one retired because of health issues(?) around when DR3 was being made. Also, I think this is the wrong thread for this.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah from here on out, no more DRV3 chat. I know the main's full of spoiler bars right now but this isn't the place to discuss it further.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's assuming that the pivot point of the rotation is the Tower.

What if it's the houses themselves?

I don't think the houses could be the ones rotating. When Mechamaru was murdered, the killer had to have used the contact elevator. There were people in both sides of the house by then, so they surely would've felt if the houses were spinning.

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Well... it feels a little complicated, but it could be that the elevator is traveling up the house in a bit of a spiral?

So say for instance when you go into the elevator in grape house and face the door, south is at your back and you're looking north. The elevator moves on a track that wraps around the outside of the building as it ascends to the strawberry level, and when you arrive, you are now facing south as you exit.

Not sure if I explained that all too well, might do an mspaint mockup when I get home.

EDIT: So like this basically

Thanks for the edit. This layout makes more sense seeing it like this. My only question is, are there elevators that can actually move around the building like this? I don't want to dismiss the possibility out of hand, but it sounds... well, almost as stupid as Peko using her sword as a springboard on a wet bathroom floor.

Mikl posted:

Slightly revised theory regarding Mechamaru's murder:

- We're working with the assumption that Fuyuhiko saw Mechamaru by 5 AM, but what if the clocks were already tampered with by then? My reasoning is that IIRC, Fuyuhiko stayed outside the lounge until the alarm went off by 5:30 AM so the killer couldn't have sneaked past him to mess with the alarm. That would make the actual time 7 AM and Mechamaru would've been on his way for Monokuma Tai Chi. Maybe the killer was behind Mechamaru while they were doing Tai Chi, so they could've quickly jabbed his Good Night Button?

- If Mechamaru died by 7:30, then it would fit with the alarm going off by 5:30 (checking back, it seems only the Strawberry House had the alarm clock ringing). I'm guessing the plan was for the guys to hear alarm and the rumbling sound close to each other. They'd see the clock and establish the time being 5:30, and then they'd think it was too early and go back to sleep. So the killer must've had 30 minutes to set the entire thing up, which isn't much.

- Going by the two houses being stacked on each other theory, then the tower has to be an elevator. The killer must've chained the fake Strawberry house door to keep everyone thinking the two houses were side by side. The broken doorknob came from the fake Grape house door, so that must be where the steel cable was tied to.

- If the steel cable was wrapped around the fake Grape house door, the only way I can see it being used for murder was if the tower elevator went downwards. So if the cable was tied to the pillar and Mechamaru, the pillar would be hoisted up a bit, the combined weight makes the doorknob snap off and then the pillar would smash onto Mechamaru? My question here is how the killer could've timed it so that this would happen right when the alarm sounded.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

amigolupus posted:

Thanks for the edit. This layout makes more sense seeing it like this. My only question is, are there elevators that can actually move around the building like this? I don't want to dismiss the possibility out of hand, but it sounds... well, almost as stupid as Peko using her sword as a springboard on a wet bathroom floor.

I mean! It is a funnhouse designed to be weird, disorienting, and duplicitous. Plenty of them parks have rides where a car is powered along a rising curve, just make that car an "elevator". People look at it and see one thing while it is another, the idea fits a funhouse pretty well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

amigolupus posted:

I don't think the houses could be the ones rotating. When Mechamaru was murdered, the killer had to have used the contact elevator. There were people in both sides of the house by then, so they surely would've felt if the houses were spinning.

These are related. There's ways to do subtle motion where you can't feel it (gravity via centrifugal rotation in tons of sci-fi for instance) and most fun house/ride illusions are typically simple but executed in a completely unexpected way.

What's more unexpected than having the entire thing rotate? :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alton Towers has a ride that's really a narrative experience, you have a tour through an abandoned laboratory while a story is told of a cursed tree that got angry when travellers severed one of it's branches hundreds of years ago - In the final room you take seats on a large set of benches, and it does the trick with the bench spinning on a horizontal axis making it feel like your going upside-down when your really not, but it distracts you with a cool twist - the spinning stops at the apex of the spin at the "top" of the room, then you look "down" and see the true source of the narration - the tree itself shouting the last verses of the story at you. It's a cool idea and I enjoyed it, but the problem is it stops being interesting after the first go.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So I don't really know how to carefully say this but, I just finished DRV3.

First off, it's good.

Secondly, if you bought the game to play or were thinking of buying it but still haven't seen this game through to the finish because you're following along with the LP, I'd recommend holding off. There are enough fan service references and other things in this game that you could be spoiled on stuff still to come in this LP.

Of course, if you've already bought the game and are in the middle of it, I don't really expect you to stop or anything. Just figured I should try and make a late warning about it here since I initially believed it to be safe for people still reading this LP.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm currently halfway but I've beaten the other two games so I'm safe. This game pulled that too though, it literally spoils the first one in the first few hours of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In any case, now that I've finished V3 I can start working on this LP again. My plans to get a backlog have fallen through but it's been a while since the last update so I figure I should at least start posting things even if I won't be able to post an update every day for the duration of the trial like I'd hoped I would. We'll see what happens. Update in next post and the next one will come whenever I can get to work on it.

• Locked thread