Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it plot-critical or an oversight that Eleanor is the only person that always summons Janet when she says her name?

Like when she's trying to remember it and Chidi goes "You mean Janet?" and she goes "YEAH! Janet!" "Hi there!"

I noticed it a couple other times too. Hmm. :think:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

precision posted:

Is it plot-critical or an oversight that Eleanor is the only person that always summons Janet when she says her name?

Like when she's trying to remember it and Chidi goes "You mean Janet?" and she goes "YEAH! Janet!" "Hi there!"

I noticed it a couple other times too. Hmm. :think:

Jason and Michael summon her too. Remember the whole back and forth when he finds out they're married? Maybe its about intention?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

You guys would suck the fun out of a blow job.....

Welcome to TVIV friend.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Jason and Michael summon her too. Remember the whole back and forth when he finds out they're married? Maybe its about intention?
I think it's just pacing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm just going to keep watching this every day until the next episode, because goddamn is it good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about 7 episodes into this. I like the aesthetic and it's a fun and creative concept, but I just don't think it's very funny. It's like they're always verging on having a truly funny gag but don't quite manage to get there.

Honestly I busted the gently caress out laughing just about every time Chidi is just utterly baffled by what he's witnessing. Which happens a surprising amount.

The bit in s2e1 with his reaction to Eleanor thinking his name is a type of soup was loving hilarious.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I normally find that American comedies are only funny for a season or so, and they quickly lose steam after that.

The Good Place is funny, clever and sweet, and so far season two is just as strong as the first one, so that is very good.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Good acting, well-defined characters, interesting plot, well produced. It's not a laugh riot but it's funny and you want to know where it's all going. I'll definitely stick around as long as the plot keeps moving.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think there's a nonzero chance that Janet ends up being God or something like that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you don't think Janet's murder scene is funny I don't know what to tell you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you don't think Janet's murder scene is funny I don't know what to tell you.

That was a pretty good bit for sure. Feels like for every one of those there are several "bud-hole" level jokes that fail to land though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is Lincoln in hell?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the budhole joke is hilarious :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

sbaldrick posted:

Is Lincoln in hell?

Ending slavery is worth over 800,000 points so probably not?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

sbaldrick posted:

Is Lincoln in hell?

Michael makes it clear in the first episode that Lincoln is the only US president not in the Bad Place.

Of course, he could have been lying :tinfoil:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

the budhole joke is hilarious :colbert:

It wasn't very funny the first ttime, but it becoming a recurring thing was great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love the idea that Michael is God, or that he's the Devil, but one thing that kinda makes that seem unlikely to me - if that's true, why show us the scenes of him "psyching himself up" before talking to his boss? Those play out like he is legit afraid of being caught, which he shouldn't be if he's either God or the Devil.

Those scenes would, however, make perfect sense if he's a "good angel" that got mistakenly assigned to work in the Bad Place (whoah... it's like poetry, it rhymes!) and he's scared of blowing his cover.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think it's useful to search for additional twists like that, especially one that invalidates the previous twist. If the new premise for season 2 were also false, and Michael isn't ACTUALLY a subordinate Bad Place demon on thin ice, the show and its stakes would become totally untrustworthy.

I think Michael's deal is, the most effective lie is one that runs parallel to the truth (for example, he pretends to be a first-time Good Place architect because it's not far off from the truth of being a first-time Bad Place architect). In particular, I think he may not be totally pretending when he gets all giddy about human culture and artifacts. I suspect he likes humans more than he'd care to admit to himself or other demons (which is why he designed a Bad Place neighbourhood this way in the first place), and his arc could involve realizing that.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Michael just really likes Hawaiian pizza.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Supercar Gautier posted:

I suspect he likes humans more than he'd care to admit to himself or other demons (which is why he designed a Bad Place neighbourhood this way in the first place), and his arc could involve realizing that.

Isn't that functionally the same as when I posited that he was a "good angel mistakenly assigned to the Bad Place though? It would more or less shake out the same either way.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's a difference between the idea that Michael could have sympathetic qualities that will increasingly drive a rift between him and other demons, vs the idea that he's already a secret double triple agent angel. The latter would undermine the S1 finale-- you can't go "X was Y all along" and then follow it up with "actually X wasn't Y after all".

I don't think Michael's deliberately making a gentler kind of Bad Place, just that it's happening unintentionally as a side-effect of his fascination with humans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I think that's a better and more likely outcome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and I think that trying to understand humans, in order to torture them, is eventually going to turn him into a better person. It's hard for me to see Michael as a villain for the entire rest of the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Snak posted:

Yeah, and I think that trying to understand humans, in order to torture them, is eventually going to turn him into a better person. It's hard for me to see Michael as a villain for the entire rest of the show.

But it's so fun watching Danson be evil!

Oh, silly guess: Michael is actually Sam Malone, making his way to the majors in the Bad Place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I just want this season to be like demon Groundhog Day, where Michael fucks up in new and different ways every episode and has to keep resetting while keeping it under wraps from the boss.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

raditts posted:

I just want this season to be like demon Groundhog Day, where Michael fucks up in new and different ways every episode and has to keep resetting while keeping it under wraps from the boss.

Yeah I'm imagining the season-long gag is going to be that no matter how many things he does to keep them from figuring it out, they keep doing it anyways. Almost certain one reset will be Janet immediately recognizing Jason.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
  • The run where Jason meets his soulmate and immediately goes "no way, dawg."
  • The run where Tahani breaks down immediately.
  • The run where Jason gets drunk at the party.
  • The run where Michael convinces Chidi that he was the best and makes him speak instead.
  • The run without cocktail shrimp.
  • The run where Eleanor and Tahani hook up at the party.
  • The run where Chidi gets drunk at the party.
  • The run where Vicki messes everything up.
  • The run where the party is different and Jason outs himself by tapping a keg again.
  • The run where Janet gets drunk at the party.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The run where Michael gets drunk at the party. And Shawn shows up.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Maybe Michael will actually do a slow burn this time. He said he would by separating them, but then he got aggressive with the direct mind games immediately instead of letting them settle in, which is ironically what he did do the first time - he laid it thick on Eleanor but largely let her work on Chidi and Jason and Jason work on Tahani for a while.

Alternatively, the next run will crash because Michael is so focused on how Eleanor outsmarted him that he didn't even notice that Tahani and Jason both went pretty off the rails in 2.0 as well, and Jason mostly all on his own.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The secret moral of the story is the lesson of why God doesn't involve himself in thw daily lives of humans: because human nature will cause the interference to ruin his plan.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

raditts posted:

I can't wait for the other demons to gently caress it up by confusing previous iterations.

Caphi posted:

• The run where Jason meets his soulmate and immediately goes "no way, dawg."
  • The run where Tahani breaks down immediately.
  • The run where Jason gets drunk at the party.
  • The run where Michael convinces Chidi that he was the best and makes him speak instead.
  • The run without cocktail shrimp.
  • The run where Eleanor and Tahani hook up at the party.
  • The run where Chidi gets drunk at the party.
  • The run where Vicki messes everything up.
  • The run where the party is different and Jason outs himself by tapping a keg again.
  • The run where Janet gets drunk at the party.
The run where it Michael's plan legitimately works, but only for one or two of them.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Snak posted:

The secret moral of the story is the lesson of why God doesn't involve himself in thw daily lives of humans: because human nature will cause the interference to ruin his plan.

So like the inverse of that saying: "Whenever you make plans God laughs." I like it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just want some of the Bad Place denizens like Vicki to end up being actual friends with the gang; I figured Michael and Vicki would have had great futures writing and acting in Hollywood. Also, I imagine it would be an easy sell to have some of the workers perpetuate the ruse to Sean; I mean, surely some of them are also bored torturing people and would prefer drawing out the time they spend chillaxing in a nice quiet town.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm almost wondering if Michael's real innovation is moving away from punishment to rehabilitation. All 4 of his charges are 'medium' people, but for different reasons. Tahani did good things for bad reasons, Chidi was so concerned with having the right reason to do things that he was paralysed, Eleanor was basically apathetic and selfish and Jason is ignorant but in an odd way innocent.
Tahani, Chidi and Jason are plausible as border cases, but Eleanor was terrible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Eleanor was an rear end in a top hat to people but it's also pretty understandable how she turned out that way considering how her parents treated her.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Eleanor was an rear end in a top hat to people but it's also pretty understandable how she turned out that way considering how her parents treated her.

But on the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t6JfL47EW0&t=18s

Also, you should re-watch season 1. Eleanor realized herself that she couldn't keep running with that excuse towards the end of the season.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well, either free will exists and no one gets to use that excuse or everyone is a product of their environment and punishing people for it makes no sense. Not that eternal punishment in the afterlife makes much sense to begin with, but at least free will makes it possible to choose to be a good person and therefore avoid it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but I don't think that somehow Eleanor fundamentally more deserves the bad place than the other 3.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
By that logic, also, Jason's a fundamentally worse person than Eleanor. Eleanor was an inconsiderate, selfish jerk. Jason literally blew up a boat, framed someone for a crime they didn't commit just because he was jealous, and was going to rob a pizza place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

While Eleanor and Jason both did horrible and/or selfish things to strangers at least they were doing it to strangers. To put things in perspective, Tahani devoted her entire life to upstaging her sister. Chidi is even worse because he hurt everyone who cared and loved for him and to no ones benefit.

• Locked thread