Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

esperterra posted:

I'm probably wrong, but I always figured Peter would always become a hero after the spider bite. Ben's death just motivated him to do better, and to focus on thieves and other street level crimes.

Just having spider powers doesnt change his personality. He could choose to not use the powers, or become a villain. Why be a hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

got any sevens posted:

Just having spider powers doesnt change his personality. He could choose to not use the powers, or become a villain. Why be a hero?

Because Peter Parker's a good kid who wants to help people.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wasn't he already trying to do good before Ben kicked it, at any rate? I'm sure it depends on which timeline or w/e Peter we're discussing, but him slipping up while fighting crime is typically what leads to Ben's death, yeah?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

esperterra posted:

Wasn't he already trying to do good before Ben kicked it, at any rate? I'm sure it depends on which timeline or w/e Peter we're discussing, but him slipping up while fighting crime is typically what leads to Ben's death, yeah?

Nah, he was loving around trying to wrestle BONE SAW MCGRAW FOR THREE MINUTES

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nah, he was loving around trying to wrestle BONE SAW MCGRAW FOR THREE MINUTES

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

esperterra posted:

The way the story is usually told he tries to use his powers for himself initially, but after he lets a thief get away that thief goes on to kill his uncle soon after and then he starts being a hero. In the comics they rewrote history a bit to say that he remembered his uncle telling him "with great power comes great responsbility" and the guilt of not living up to that (interpreted as "if I can act to save somebody/stop crime, I should") resulting in his own uncle's death is the bitter lesson that drives him to keep being Spider-Man.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In the comics Parker was a dick until he got powers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shageletic posted:

In the comics Parker was a dick until he got powers.

And after he got powers.

I do love "I missed the part where that's my problem" though. Tobey really sells being an utter poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said this in the other thread while comparing the three live action Spider-Men so far, but Tobey as Sam Raimi's version of Peter Parker is transcendent.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy A. Person posted:

I said this in the other thread while comparing the three live action Spider-Men so far, but Tobey as Sam Raimi's version of Peter Parker is transcendent.

To me, the different actors come down to this:

MacGuire was a great Peter Parker and an awful Spiderman.
Garfield was a great Spiderman and an awful Peter Parker.

Holland is pretty good at both.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holland is the only one who manages to actually sound like he comes from Queens, so that puts him ahead in my book.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What sells Holland for me is that he feels like the same guy in the suit and out of it. Raimi's Spidey was great (man, those stunts), but he didn't move like MacGuire did. Holland bounds over that fence in the classic pose, in the suit he's still awkward, it just meshes. I don't know if Garfield had the same issue, or how much my memory is exaggerating it for MacGuire for that matter.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Casting an actor with a professional dancing background as Spidey was the best idea I'm amazed nobody had before Holland.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Anyone else appreciate the upside down kiss moment? If anything, it was the biggest nod to the Raimi movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

esperterra posted:

Casting an actor with a professional dancing background as Spidey was the best idea I'm amazed nobody had before Holland.

Garfield was a pretty accomplished gymnast, if I remember correctly.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

evobatman posted:

Anyone else appreciate the upside down kiss moment? If anything, it was the biggest nod to the Raimi movies.

Yup. Especially Karen's comment. I don't care what other people says, I love Karen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

agatona posted:

Yup. Especially Karen's comment. I don't care what other people says, I love Karen.

I loved seeing him in the costume at the end bit because the costume has a fantastic design, which it does, but because it means more Karen

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bruceski posted:

What sells Holland for me is that he feels like the same guy in the suit and out of it. Raimi's Spidey was great (man, those stunts), but he didn't move like MacGuire did. Holland bounds over that fence in the classic pose, in the suit he's still awkward, it just meshes. I don't know if Garfield had the same issue, or how much my memory is exaggerating it for MacGuire for that matter.

After watching some of the special features on YouTube for the stunts involved in SP2 and Homecoming, in my amateur opinion Holland was able to get more time in the suit via poses, rolling around, and jumps and the like. The stunt actors in SP2 are amazing, but there's a lot of crazy rear end poo poo that happens in that movie that required a professional doing it, while the lower level stakes in Homecoming involved Spiderman being athletic and all, but not needing to many flips over buildings and the like. And if that happened, they seemed to just use CGI, instead of the American stunt people or the Asian Hong-Kong folks.

Different era of filmmaking and all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

evobatman posted:

The moment where he has to stop the boat from splitting apart gave me Raimi subway scene deja vu, too.

e: also seconding Karen love. Jennifer Connelly is what got me excited to even watch this movie, tbh.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In hindsight, the fact that he needs motivation for being a hero is itself rather revealing - nobody is motivated to be a hero, they become such by necessity, and it's not like that's driving Spider-Man.

Pining for Stark's approval isn't this Spider-Man's motivation for being a hero. This Spider-Man just believes Stark is the gateway to becoming a hero and winning his approval means he'll get more latitude to do his superhero thing. The movie is about Peter realizing he's already a hero and doesn't need Stark's permission to be one. I would've thought Spider-Man's moment of donning his old suit and doing the right thing anyway would've made that clear.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I know everyone is going to go "ugh, we don't need to cover that a third time" but Spider-Man's motivation for donning the suit has always been guilt over his inaction resulting in Uncle Ben's death. I kind of hope they explore that one day because it is critical to why Spider-Man was suiting up and taking on street level crime. They could even go further than before and show that Tony Stark's arrival meant that Peter Parker could become an even bigger hero and erase that guilt one day.

I don't know, I just have a soft spot for the emotion Raimi brought with regards to that part of Spider-Man's character. It's easily as important as Bruce Wayne's parents dying or Superman's world blowing up. Yes, it's been done so many times but to ignore it just seems so wrong.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

NOT MY UNCLE BEN'S DEATH

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Isn't it just kinda understood at this point that Peter is motivated by his uncles death?

I've seen that guy get shot enough, thanks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say we've seen enough of the Waynes being murdered, but at least they do something different with that each time; 89 Batman infamously had the proto-Joker do it, in Begins it looked half-accidental and Chill's trial and death is key to Bruce's attitude towards killing and guns, and BvS has it a lot more brutal and informing this Batman's mentality.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dont forget https://youtu.be/11tbL8l5Av8

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

If they had shown Uncle Ben getting shot I'd want it to be memorable. Like Ben gets shot in the face and his head explodes ala Scanners.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The difference in the murders in Begins is all the guilt they add to Bruce. The how of the actual gunshots is less important. Likewise in the Raimi movie, they changed the Peter element. Instead of being an aloof celebrity, he let the thief go out of a sense of poetic justice or revenge, and later when he catches up to the thief, Spider-Man's actions lead to the thief's death.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Huzanko posted:

Pining for Stark's approval isn't this Spider-Man's motivation for being a hero. [...] The movie is about Peter realizing he's already a hero and doesn't need Stark's permission to be one. I would've thought Spider-Man's moment of donning his old suit and doing the right thing anyway would've made that clear.

No one who is actually heroic thinks of themselves as a hero. Spider-Man isn't a hero, he's an incompetent vigilante who creates danger. Aside from pleasing Stark, his motivation is in effect to stop Toomes from making his vigilante hobby difficult by selling powerful weapons to bank robbers and muggers.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 5, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always forget the Val Kilmer was formally the man bat.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Hey sorry if this is considered annoying but would this be ok to take a relatively smart 5-year-old to?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't think there's anything they would get scared of, save the vulture suit.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

agatona posted:

Wait who doesn't like Karen, the best part of this movie

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Hey sorry if this is considered annoying but would this be ok to take a relatively smart 5-year-old to?

Depends on the kid. There's no gore or gratuitous violence, but there's a lot of fighting. There's also a lot of emotional rollercoaster and awkwardness that may be difficult if the kid reacts to that easily.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

This video seemed relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLtyRLpr8k

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 9, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still like that the Vulture didn't devolve into a homicidal maniac or self-destructive tantrum, but for the whole movie his main priority is to get loot. He isn't interested in finishing off Spider-Man or causing any more destruction than he needs to, he has his eyes on the prize, tries to bail out from the final confrontation as soon as he has a crate of loot he can sell, and most of the danger and destruction is a result of criminals playing with powerful alien technology that they don't know how to use. (compared to Peter playing with powerful human technology he doesn't know how to use?)

Compared to most movie villains usually spending the climax in various degrees of tantrums and suicide missions.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_AqezinXM

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Took my nieces to this last night and it still holds up on repeat views, plus those closing credit animations are one of the best sequences of any marvel movie.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
That Logan Marshall-Green guy (the 1st Shocker) needs to stop being in stuff because every time I see him in a movie I spend the whole time thinking, 'Now I know that's not Tom Hardy but what the gently caress...?' It's very distracting.

Also, his main scene was the funniest part of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean, it's a Spiderman movie and you want him to be the protagonist, but the way Stark handles a seemingly unique operation creating weapons from alien tech is kinda reckless.

• Locked thread