Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ze Pollack posted:

Tyrion is gonna have the problems of the WH1-release Empire start: please enjoy fighting nothing but your own people's tier one infantry for the first 4/5 of the game, then throw a doomstack at the target of opportunity of your choice.

guarantees that anyone playing against the High Elves is gonna have a hard time shutting them down, but playing as that person is going to get real old real fast.

you wanna High Elf, play Teclis, and make war against a delicious assortment of jerks.

Shame on you if you play Tyrion and don't immediately go to Not-Canada for a family feud. Or a nice relaxing vacation in a Brettonian resort in the Southlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Ze Pollack posted:

if you want to imagine the future, imagine a triceratops stomping on an elven face, forever

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Tyrion has the elf mechanic that will let him make friends with his neighbors quickly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Definitely hyped for this. Holy poo poo.

Queek or Skrolk though?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Blinks77 posted:

I'm kinda leaning more and more towards Making Ulthuan Great Again.

So, Malekith then

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they add back naval combat yet or is the Manowar Corsair game eating up Warhammer naval video game copyright?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DO IT TO IT posted:

How to figure out if you're the best warhammer race:

1. Is your race ruled by fat psychic toads in floating chairs?

If yes, you are the best warhammer race.
If no, better luck next time.

My dude you have the right of it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did they add back naval combat yet or is the Manowar Corsair game eating up Warhammer naval video game copyright?
No. I don't think it matters enough for them to want to bother with it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

New thread title here.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I can't wait to play these rats an inevitably get most of them killed in increasingly-callous ways to suit my own ends.

Also can't wait to skewer rats, elves, and lizards on the end of a lance all at once with the assistance of blatantly-stereotypical Frenchmen.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i cant wait to go crusading with brettonia to kill some dinosaurs

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Turin uploaded a video of a fairly convincing High Elf multiplayer win in case people are still worried about them being weak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zM8BoD6-gA

Not that anecdotal videos proves anything but vOv. I did like the phoenix air force at least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That said, Turin is one of those players who can make any faction seem strong. He's the guy who played a lot of Dorfs and pre-ROR Chaos after all.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

CA said they want to focus on ground combat, hence the lack of navies (so far). Don't think Man o' War Corsair factors into it, as the game was released months ago.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I have an idea for a playthrough as Good Guy Malekith. I'm going to try to make friends with the High Elves, bring Morathi to heel, unify Naggarond and then play mostly defense while sending out armies to crush Skaven and Chaos. I might even free the slaves.

It will be a redemption arc for the ages.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nephthys posted:

I have an idea for a playthrough as Good Guy Malekith. I'm going to try to make friends with the High Elves, bring Morathi to heel, unify Naggarond and then play mostly defense while sending out armies to crush Skaven and Chaos. I might even free the slaves.

It will be a redemption arc for the ages.

You'll still be running around with armies of bleakswords and dreadspears and painblades and shadowsongs and murderballads.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Randarkman posted:

You'll still be running around with armies of bleakswords and dreadspears and painblades and shadowsongs and murderballads.

They're called painblades because of their internal emoptional pain GOD mom you don't understand me.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

You can rename regiments so instead it will be sugarswords, encouragementspears and the like.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Fangz posted:

So, Malekith then

loving NEVER!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

RentACop posted:

Morathis bonuses are appropriate but so lame

Yeah, they make sense and the lowered cost for hero actions is pretty good but it just feels so boring compared to what other faction leaders get. She does get some cool unique buildings at least.

(also Chaos Corruption is my least favorite terrain variation, it's just so ugly and dull :negative: )

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Randarkman posted:

That's just enemy propaganda.

My BLISSWORDS and DADSPEARS are going to save the world.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Randarkman posted:

that is still one of the dumbest things. time for Corporation Lore!

so, GW, makers of overpriced tiny plastic toys and an associated bad game from which this Good Game sprang, had a consistent problem with other plastic toy sellers selling stuff that was Definitely Not For Use In Warhammer Wink Wink Nudge Nudge. GW eventually took one of the most notable of these guys to court on the subject of "No, Seriously, Come The gently caress On, This Is Definitely IP Infringement, Right."

yeah well here's the catch: they pushed WAY too hard trying to get a favorable precedent in the case, and the judge dropped fire from heaven on them for it. "No, Actually, YOU Come The gently caress On, You Can't Copyright The Term "Space Marine," You loving Nerds."

in order to defend against further owns of this kind, GW proceeded to rename basically everything in its game lines. so it was that Tower Guard became Darkshards, Dark Elf Swordsmen became Bleakswords, Dark Elf Spearmen became Dreadspears, orcs became Orruks, elves became Aelves, Imperial Guard became Astra Militarum, etc etc IT WAS REALLY DUMB.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I mentioned this in the Battletech thread, but it bears repeating here but...

imagine being the judge who gets to sit and preside over a legal battle over which space marines are the true Space Marines (tm).

Also imagine being the lawyers who have to legitimately argue this stuff. The lawyers are getting paid a lot sure, but they still have to keep a straight face when talking about how "I OBJECT TO HOW MUCH THIS DOOM SLAYER SPACE MARINE'S ARMOR IS EXACTLY LIKE MY SPACE KILLER MARINE DOOM MAN'S SPACE SUIT"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ice Fist posted:

I mentioned this in the Battletech thread, but it bears repeating here but...

imagine being the judge who gets to sit and preside over a legal battle over which space marines are the true Space Marines (tm).

Also imagine being the lawyers who have to legitimately argue this stuff. The lawyers are getting paid a lot sure, but they still have to keep a straight face when talking about how "I OBJECT TO HOW MUCH THIS DOOM SLAYER SPACE MARINE'S ARMOR IS EXACTLY LIKE MY SPACE KILLER MARINE DOOM MAN'S SPACE SUIT"

Honestly, it is probably better than analyzing and building a case around fonts and logo designs.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Nothing will ever top the divorcing couple dividing up their beanie baby assets in court.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mukip posted:

Nothing will ever top the divorcing couple dividing up their beanie baby assets in court.

and i guarantee neither of them made a single cent off any of them considering how hard that market crashed

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Mukip posted:

Did they try to coax the stuffed animals over to their side?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

and i guarantee neither of them made a single cent off any of them considering how hard that market crashed

At some point it just stops being about money.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

littleorv posted:

I am here to show my support to the high elves. The rightful leaders of the warhammer universe.

elfs rule

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was always going to play Kroq-Gar first. This was solidified by his character portrait during faction/lord selection. He roars at the camera, then quiets down, turns, and pats Grymloq's muzzle as it enters the frame.

Kroq-Gar: Friend to the Dinosaurs :3:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I have a horrible confession to make. I'm looking forward to High Elves because it looks like you can make a nigh-uncrackable, elite infantry core of heavily armored and armed White Lions, Swordmasters, and Phoenix Guard that can deal with any target. Hell, take Sea Guard as your archer unit and even they'll be able to put up a fight in melee.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

I have a horrible confession to make. I'm looking forward to High Elves because it looks like you can make a nigh-uncrackable, elite infantry core of heavily armored and armed White Lions, Swordmasters, and Phoenix Guard that can deal with any target. Hell, take Sea Guard as your archer unit and even they'll be able to put up a fight in melee.

Sea Guard seem a massive gently caress you against Surtha Ek and his marauder horsemen/chariot legions.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Sea Guard looks very interesting. Oh, you managed to get a cavalry charge on my exposed archers? Enjoy their antilarge melee :getin:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kainser posted:

Sea Guard looks very interesting. Oh, you managed to get a cavalry charge on my exposed archers? Enjoy their antilarge melee :getin:

Anyone know if they have Charge Defence too?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Please tell me you can get an Old Blood riding a Carnosaur.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mordja posted:

Might be old but yes:

Curious how bracing works with their ranged attacks. Will you have to turn off fire at will for them to brace for a cavalry charge?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

They do.

I watched a video today of some Cold One Knights charging them and the Knights hit them and just stopped. Then they died.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kainser posted:

Might be old but yes:

Curious how bracing works with their ranged attacks. Will you have to turn off fire at will for them to brace for a cavalry charge?

Decent armor, silver shields, charge defense and anti-large melee. Sea Guard are basically a gently caress you to every normal archer counter (use your own archers or charge them with fast stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Ze Pollack posted:

that is still one of the dumbest things. time for Corporation Lore!

so, GW, makers of overpriced tiny plastic toys and an associated bad game from which this Good Game sprang, had a consistent problem with other plastic toy sellers selling stuff that was Definitely Not For Use In Warhammer Wink Wink Nudge Nudge. GW eventually took one of the most notable of these guys to court on the subject of "No, Seriously, Come The gently caress On, This Is Definitely IP Infringement, Right."

yeah well here's the catch: they pushed WAY too hard trying to get a favorable precedent in the case, and the judge dropped fire from heaven on them for it. "No, Actually, YOU Come The gently caress On, You Can't Copyright The Term "Space Marine," You loving Nerds."

in order to defend against further owns of this kind, GW proceeded to rename basically everything in its game lines. so it was that Tower Guard became Darkshards, Dark Elf Swordsmen became Bleakswords, Dark Elf Spearmen became Dreadspears, orcs became Orruks, elves became Aelves, Imperial Guard became Astra Militarum, etc etc IT WAS REALLY DUMB.

Was an added effect of this judgment that they had to drop WHF and make bad 40k where psychers are now wizards?