Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, minor point, and I realise this is probably partly down to SA being SA, but I'm pretty sure the abbreviation is DSC, not STD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Also, minor point, and I realise this is probably partly down to SA being SA, but I'm pretty sure the abbreviation is DSC, not STD.

literally everyone everywhere is calling it STD

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

literally everyone everywhere is calling it STD

Actually, checking Memory Alpha, they're using DIS.

And beyond the juvenile joke, it's not like we call Enterprise 'STE'. Or Star Trek Deep Space 9 'STDS'

None of the other shows have the ST in the short form, because it's assumed.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

too late man it's STD

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Woah hold on, first, Sarek didn't say "this is what you guys should do," as a matter of fact he explicitly said that it might not necessarily apply to their situation and that she needed to be really careful with how she used that information.

Also, if I remember right, Burnham basically presented it as "we need to just start attacking every Klingon ship we see until they back off and ask for terms call us for a chat." That's not diplomacy at all, that's just a de facto state of war. Can you see how people might be resistant to the suggestion that Klingons are just savage bumpheads who only understand violence? Because that's really what that boils down to.

They could have just threatened them. Anything but do what the Klingons despise and the firebrand was planning on. They knew the psychology they were working with and ignored it.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 27, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, checking Memory Alpha, they're using DIS.

And beyond the juvenile joke, it's not like we call Enterprise 'STE'. Or Star Trek Deep Space 9 'STDS'

None of the other shows have the ST in the short form, because it's assumed.

We don't need anything for Enterprise because there's no reason to talk about it. :taylor:

And we do call it DS9, for Deep Space Nine, the name. STDS9 is the same thing just longer, so of course you shorten it.

The show is called "Star Trek Discovery". STD is the most natural abbreviation. Deal with it. If they didn't want that, they should have called it something else. Especially since it has nothing to do with discovery!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gaz-L posted:

Memory Alpha uses DIS.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Gaz-L posted:

STD is catchy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wikipedia disambiguates DIS and STD for Star Trek: Discovery and not DIS.

I learnt to watch Voyager as unintentional comedy which perfectly suited Janeway's weekly megalomanical genocides.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Funny how people so quickly forget the fifty episodes of Next Gen we had to wade through before it even got to be consistently okay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CaveGrinch posted:

Funny how people so quickly forget the fifty episodes of Next Gen we had to wade through before it even got to be consistently okay.

Nobody's saying that a big shakeup of the Discovery writing staff and fifty episodes of practice couldn't eventually turn out some good episodes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CaveGrinch posted:

TNG quality directly proportional to the length of Riker's beard.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I prefer the DIS vs. STD vs. DSC arguments way more than the "this is/isn't real Trek" debate.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I thought the show was bad and removed all of the uniquely Star Trek parts, leaving only the named stuff that your generic person knows. To fill the holes they stuffed it with gritty grimdark poo poo that was an impressive mix between boring, hard to see what was going on, and nonsensical.

Show looked pretty though.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
All those abbreviations are wrong, when it's clearly Star Trek: BSG anyway. Or Battle Star GalactiTrek. Whatever.

It was fun. Had neat moments.

I don't know what some of you were expecting. Or rather, I can see from your criticisms you were expecting something that was never, ever going to happen in a Trek show in the stardate of our allegorical spacegod 2017.

There's a couple good opinions in the thread, I can tell they're good because I agree with them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

There's a couple good opinions in the thread, I can tell they're good because I agree with them.

Thanks four your support.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

We don't need anything for Enterprise because there's no reason to talk about it. :taylor:

And we do call it DS9, for Deep Space Nine, the name. STDS9 is the same thing just longer, so of course you shorten it.

The show is called "Star Trek Discovery". STD is the most natural abbreviation.
Deal with it. If they didn't want that, they should have called it something else. Especially since it has nothing to do with discovery!

:thunk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

What's your problem capslock?

You can't call the show "D". If it was "Star Trek Deep Space Discovery" then maybe it'd be DSD or something but its not.

CBS gave us the D

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Is Voyager abbreviated to STV or V?

(This is the silliest argument and I love it)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

caps on caps on caps posted:

I still don't get what y'all problem is with new visuals. If Pike's ship looks modern and like something that could actually exist in the future, but everything else of the lore stays intact, nothing is lost.
Just pretend that there are different visualizations of the same novel and this one is the modern one.

If you still prefer a bridge and uniforms that look retarded and can not represent the future as we now know, then there's still TOS to watch.
But the tradeoff of this Groknard poo poo is that you can never ever introduce a new generation to Star Trek, or make new Trekkies, because the future you propose including all of TOS is just no longer believable.

And it doesn't really matter what century the new series is set in. There's no reason 1701 should have looked like that ever, from todays perspective, and there is no in-lore explanation that actually makes sense.

Instead, by revamping the design, we can preserve the stories, the morals, ideas and the entire lore for a new generation, which is absolutely fine and good. I just don't understand why something as goofy as TOS NEEDS to remain the actual and true look of this universe even though it means that the Star Trek universe CAN NOT be our future.
Instead change the visuals, keep the continuity and the whole deal can be our future again, Kirk, Picard and the whole shebang. Why care about a few buttons.

Truthfully, Star Trek isn't visually consistent until Wrath of Khan. After that point, you can rationalize that everything you see onscreen, up to Enterprise, takes place in the same universe. You try to add TMP in there, and especially TOS and yeah, it doesn't work.

But both DS9 and Enterprise went back to those times, so they are part of it. And they made it work.

If the show looking futuristic from the CURRENT YEAR's standards is your bellwether for the only way you can introduce new fans to the show, then why not just set this show in the future of TNG?

Also for that matter, by your standards, most of Star Trek will soon be falling off that "futuristic" standard. Already kids today find a movie like Wrath of Khan slow and boring. I can imagine they'd see the beige carpets and touchscreens of 30 year old TNG hopelessly retrofuture and out of date.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Discovery managed to be well paced and interesting. It established it's main character with depth, established the antagonists as an actual culture distinct and rounded. All while looking visually more exciting and beautiful than Trek has ever managed.
Was it perfect? No. Was it better than the other Trek openers (and a pretty loving large percentage of all Trek episodes across all series)? Yes.

People whining about the pronunciation of Klingon. People complaining that things which were clearly shown in dialogue or shot weren't obvious enough (presumably because they were too busy posting their hatred instead of watching). People complaining that the sets/ships/actual human actors were not made out of crepe pape and fidget spinners because that breaks continuity with the embarrassing schlock made fifty-one years ago are mentally loving deficient.

All you guys dogging on TOS as being so horrible and campy and lovely consider this: if it was so bad, and not iconic, then why has all the Cargo Cult Star Trek we've seen in the past 8 years just kept retreading the same era over and over and wanting people to associate it with Kirk and Spock? :colbert:

Pastamania posted:

Encounter at Farpoint would have been a much better episode if Riker punched Picard in the face in his ready room and then started screaming at Tasha to fire torpedoes at the Jellyfish.

Nail on the head. Not only are they loving up continuity, they are loving up the philosophy of Star Trek.

Arglebargle III posted:

As a Trek fan, the thing I dislike about it most is how tired it is. Star Trek has done the spiky dark post 9/11 aliens thing before and both times it's been awful. Enterprise and Nemesis are low points in the franchise. Trek2009 wasn't a whole lot better and also featured spiky post 9/11 aliens. Beam over to the enemy ship at the end so our heroes can punch them, yadda yadda. It's boring and it's a misunderstanding of what popular Star Trek was about. 2009 received a fairly tepid response and Nemesis and Enterprise were rightly panned for their dark action movie take on Trek. That's not what the franchise is good at.

This dovetails with my other main problem with the show, which is that Trek prequels are played out. In the first 30 minutes there was a lot of cool new stuff that we haven't had in Trek before, like using robotic daughter ships or routine EVA to check something out in person. Even phrases like "tech hygiene" sound new, which is something that Trek has always embraced when it's good. TNG wasn't TOS over again, it clearly had its roots in the late 80s and late 80s conceptions of what this positive aspirational future could look like. Discovery gets to be new and good for about 30 minutes before it's dragged back down into its prequel premise. There's Klingons and hull breaches and spiky green and black ships of enormous size and space battles and we've all seen this before. The story beats from there are all very rote aside from Michael's freakout.

Discovery looked for all the world like a sequel when it started showing and talking about things in our future, the future of people in 2017. When it's thrown back into Trek prequel purgatory its like being dragged back in time to no longer even scifi but some sort of weird mishmash of retcon and period piece and focus grouped nostalgia for a broadcast era franchise. It manages to be both new and tired and boring at the same time.

This isn't even getting into the military themes and prison fight that clash pretty hard with Star Trek but strongly resemble prestige dramas from the last 20 years. Even if you aren't attached to the idea of Trek as an aspiration for the people of the time in which it airs, putting a prequel to a 60s show on with explicit callbacks to the fiction of the 60s with atmosphere and themes from recent prestige dramas ends up with a muddled aesthetic and uncertain theme. This is born out by all the people wondering whether the show thinks that Michael's actions were justified or not -- the show's tone is muddled.

Well said!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I like how snide and lovely Sarek in this, but I don't understand why they didn't just write him as a different guy. It's not that cool of a reference and it would have been nice to see them do whatever they want with the character instead of having to maintain even a tiny bit of continuity.

I just finished episode 1. I thought the script was pretty bad and most of the performances were weak (Michelle Yeoh rules, but she's awful in this). The Klingon stuff is pretty bad too. It feels like they're trying to ape Game of Thrones too hard.

fadam fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 27, 2017

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is Voyager abbreviated to STV or V?

(This is the silliest argument and I love it)

It doesn't matter, the abbreviation is STD because this show is loving AIDS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fadam posted:

I like how snide and lovely Sarek in this, but I don't understand why they didn't just write him as a different guy. It's not that cool of a reference and it would have been nice to see them do whatever they want with the character instead of having to maintain even a tiny bit of continuity.

This but for everything.

Why are the not-Klingons not just called something else?

gently caress if they wanted to make something so different, maybe have a civil war among the Federation! Then you could have a space confederacy or whatever and they could have totally different uniforms and things could be dark and have an edgy style and they could mutiny all the time and poo poo like that. Maybe some of Khanberbatch's genetically advanced kin are still alive somewhere and they rise up against the Federation and start an evil empire with goatees.

Then you could do the cool Battlestar thing where you have everybody doubting if somebody is secretly a spy. Doesn't work when Klingons stick out like a sore thumb.

And then you can basically ignore continuity and do your own thing, and hand waive it as "this was a dark time in the Federation's history so nobody talks about it much after that except as a bad time"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 27, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

if they weren't klingons then people would bitch about 'why have we never heard of these guys???? are we to believe???'

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

This but for everything.

Why are the not-Klingons not just called something else?

Yeah, this for me. Count me as a Trek fan who thinks Discovery isn't different enough. If they want to do their own thing with new aliens and a new ship and a new crew and new themes to explore... why not just do that? Just keep it positive, darker and grittier is ten years behind the times and doesn't belong under the Star Trek name. Trek has never shied away from dealing with heavy themes, but the grimdark aesthetic and tone doesn't work. The fundamental premise of the show is that the people of the future strive to be better than modern people. They are explorers, not soldiers. That was in the title card voiceover for 10 years of iconic TV.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 27, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zaphod42 posted:

Then you could do the cool Battlestar thing where you have everybody doubting if somebody is secretly a spy. Doesn't work when Klingons stick out like a sore thumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

if they weren't klingons then people would bitch about 'why have we never heard of these guys???? are we to believe???'

So it ends with them all going extinct in some grand tragedy :v:

Yeah okay there's ways around that one. But, everything else.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I feel like having Captain Georgiou say "Time to murk some hajis" before beaming over to the funeral ship was a little bizarre, but it's probably just my grognard beliefs about Star Trek...

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Frankly, any portrayal of the future that isn't just humanity dwindling in number as we try to cope with a dead or dying planet after we repeatedly burn it to the ground, never to recover, is wildly, unrealistically optimistic, so I don't get the complaints that it's too dark. edit: In tone, I mean, not stylistically.

Too optimistic, if anything.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 27, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Frankly, any portrayal of the future that isn't just humanity dwindling in number as we try to cope with a dead or dying planet after we repeatedly burn it to the ground, never to recover, is wildly, unrealistically optimistic, so I don't get the complaints that it's too dark.

No, that is what is optimistic.

VVV Lmao.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 27, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Frankly, any portrayal of the future that isn't just humanity dwindling in number as we try to cope with a dead or dying planet after we repeatedly burn it to the ground, never to recover, is wildly, unrealistically optimistic, so I don't get the complaints that it's too dark.

What? Seriously? If it was a matter of life or death we could have self-sustaining moon, martian, or space colonies in like a decade.

I mean we shouldn't waste resources unnecessarily or anything, I'm generally all for environmentalism. But if the cost of human technological advancement is that we have to use up the Earth, but then we can terraform all the other planets we want... is that so extremely grimdark?

You lack vision. Roddenberry had vision.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

What? Seriously? If it was a matter of life or death we could have self-sustaining moon, martian, or space colonies in like a decade.

I mean we shouldn't waste resources unnecessarily or anything, I'm generally all for environmentalism. But if the cost of human technological advancement is that we have to use up the Earth, but then we can terraform all the other planets we want... is that so extremely grimdark?

You lack vision. Roddenberry had vision.

lmao is this a serious post

'just use it all up, we can always *waves hands vaguely toward the sky* build a moonbase or whatever'

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I've changed my opinion. Seeing so many nerds butt hurt by this show I've decided I like it and look forward to hate watching it next to walking dead.

Also, nice ui choice:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I've changed my opinion. Seeing so many nerds butt hurt by this show I've decided I like it and look forward to hate watching it next to walking dead.

Also, nice ui choice:

"Bring the away team back and raise shields"

"Ok rig- OOPS"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
FIRE TORPEDO sorta looks like FREE TOBACCO.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also, nice ui choice:

Something positive: The got the loving font right. MICROGRAMMA. BOLD EXTENDED. poo poo's straight out of those old Franz Joseph tech manuals/the TOS movies and it looks good. I use that poo poo on my own computer and everything looks legible and futuristic.

loving lol at the 'self destruct' button

Anyway as a hardcore trekkie loser I'm willing to give this show a few more episodes before I totally conclude that it's just going full grimdark-rear end in a top hat, I thinkhope a few of you might be a little bit premature. I'm sure as hell not sticking around until the hypothetical third season waiting for it to get consistently entertaining, though. It's 2017 for gently caress's sake and nobody has time for that poo poo, not when The Expanse dunked on this in every way that matters to me so far and The Orville hits the nostalgia munchies I've been having.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also, nice ui choice:

Things are slow around here, seems as good a time as any to start recording my log...

https://i.imgur.com/9e1PNTk.gifv

Also,

Sulu: "Shields, SHIELDS!"

Me, hitting the 'cancel red alert' button: "poo poo!"

Doggles fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 27, 2017

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Ensign: "Admiral, we've lost another ship."

Admiral: "What? How?"

Ensign: "Same thing as the last 3, sir. Fat Fingers."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Do people even know what "grimdark" even means?

I get the vibe that the arc they're going for is "Trek/Federation ideals will be tested". Not "they will be subverted, inverted, or revised".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

lmao is this a serious post

'just use it all up, we can always *waves hands vaguely toward the sky* build a moonbase or whatever'

quote:

I mean we shouldn't waste resources unnecessarily or anything, I'm generally all for environmentalism.

Yes, that's what those words mean.

Seriously what is with goons intentionally misreading something so they can slam dunk on a strawman? So stupid.

I didn't say use it up, I said EVEN IF we use it all up we still won't have to give up on existence. I'm setting a lower bound. While EXPLICITLY stating that we should try to preserve the environment. You dumb gently caress.

Gonz posted:

FIRE TORPEDO sorta looks like FREE TOBACCO.

lol

That'd have to be in TOS