Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW7zWck0VAQ
Season 2 of Syfy's anthology series Channel Zero starts tonight (9/20) with No-End House, a six episode series based on a creepypasta by Brian Russell. Unlike the more psychological aspects of Candle Cove, this one looks like it will be more straight up horror. The premise according to Syfy's website " (It) tells the story of a young woman named Margot Sleator who visits the No-End House, a bizarre house of horrors that consists of a series of increasingly disturbing rooms. When she returns home, Margot realizes everything has changed." Like season 1 this will only be six episodes. Syfy has already ordered two more seasons and apparently they are going to be called "Staircases" to air next year and "Hidden Door" which will be 2019.

Cast:
Amy Forsyth as Margot Sleator
John Carroll Lynch as John Sleator
Aisha Dee as Jules
Kyla Kane as Allison Koja
Jeff Ward as Seth
Seamus Patterson as J.D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Not sure how much I'll like it if it does go the more horror route but I enjoyed Candle Cove so I'll give it a try.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Candle Cove was awesome, although I think it faltered a bit with the last episode. I've been eagerly awaiting the new season.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really liked Candle Cove. I read the Creepypasta that No-End House is based off (it's pretty short), and the imagery in the trailers.... well, is completely different. The premise I'm down for.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A strong opening.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, I don't think I would go to a place that advertised like that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this! posted:

I can honestly say I've been to weirder Haunts :haw:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I guess the question is whether or not anyone other than Margot and Jules got to the sixth room or if they bailed earlier.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One of my favorite shows. Candle Cove was one of my favorite things watched last year period, and No-End House looks like it'll meet that criteria for this year too. Great start, happily surprised at the quality of this show (the premise of "anthology series based on creepypastas" admittedly was one of the last things I'd have ever considered a must-watch)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Well THAT was delightfully creepy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

There was a "haunted" Halloween pop-up mansion in an actual giant old farmhouse when I was growing up in Michigan that made Twin Peaks look like a Pixar movie. It was exceptional well done. The company that was in charge of it must have had some really brilliant minds behind it, but for whatever reason, it only lasted about 7 years before going out of business.

It had the typical jump scare fare, but i'd say about 80% of it was psychological horror and H.P. Lovecraft-style stuff rather than slasher blood and guts. It was on the outskirts of an active cider mill surrounded by forestry. They wouldn't let anyone under 14 years old inside of it unless they were accompanied by an adult.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Interesting start. Not frightening per se but just off kilter enough to keep interest up. Spoilers just in case I'm guessing backpacker has lost someone to the house what with his searching and telling them to leave. Bit of a dick to say that after they go in though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

So I guess the question is whether or not anyone other than Margot and Jules got to the sixth room or if they bailed earlier.

That, and why was JD's statue different to everyone else's?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Open Source Idiom posted:

That, and why was JD's statue different to everyone else's?

Maybe He is in on it? He knew way too much about it right from the off, could be he is part of the viral marketing. His face bust seemed to have more emotions than the rest. Poor random person got slagged and he was v keen still.

Compare to angsty backpacker

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Binged through the first season and the first episode of the second over the past couple of days.

It's sort of crazy how much better this does TV horror show than American Horror Story. You can tell Channel Zero has gently caress all of a budget comparatively but it is just shot in such a way that makes it really tense all the time without resorting to constant jump-scares.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

spudsbuckley posted:

It's sort of crazy how much better this does TV horror show than American Horror Story.

Not a high bar.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I love the the cinematography of this show. The long, slow pans, the slow pacing of scenes; you really get to focus on the unsettling/unnatural focal points they set up.

It'd be interesting to see if this somehow ties into Candle Cove, maybe a character or location shows up. Nothing dumb or overtly obvious, just something to give a nod to fans of the show.

tessiebee posted:

Interesting start. Not frightening per se but just off kilter enough to keep interest up. Spoilers just in case I'm guessing backpacker has lost someone to the house what with his searching and telling them to leave. Bit of a dick to say that after they go in though.

I hope it's ok I'm not spoiling this (doesn't really feel like a spoiler) but I'd guess that backpacker is related to the girl in the intro, who had quite a bit of story packed into her short appearance. I had to go back and watch the intro again, but it sounds like the guy called her Lacy, and she had THIS ISN'T REAL cut into her arm in which said guy said something to the effect of 'We'll have to erase this'.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It'd be interesting to see if this somehow ties into Candle Cove, maybe a character or location shows up. Nothing dumb or overtly obvious, just something to give a nod to fans of the show.

They already have, haven't they? The hallway from Room Three is the same passage that kept turning up in Candle Cove.

(Also, the actress playing young Margot was in Candle Cove, IIRC. She was the daughter.)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The amount of focus on the pool has been bothering the holy hell out of me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling that the rule about no running by the pool will come into play at some point.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Im curious enough to watch a few more episodes but I'm worried that the show is going to have the lame twist that the dad molested the main character and she actually could have saved him, but decided not to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, every house's address is 6.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That... uh... certainly went in a horrifying direction all of a sudden.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

The next door's gotta be at the bottom of that pool.

Beware the cannibals.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That ending :stare:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
When the dude is trying to get the truck to start, you can briefly see the plate on the front of the truck. It has weird symbols instead of numbers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone else liking this a whole lot more than the first season? I mean first season was alright to pretty good. First episode was awesome and it kinda petered out but I kept watching. This one tho

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Man, that looked like really large fish eggs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Why did John Carroll Lynch eat that pomegranate lady?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Beware the cannibals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Victorkm posted:

Man, that looked like really large fish eggs.

According to the showrunner that was the look they were going for (it was tapioca pudding, chocolate sauce and dye.) Fun fact, it apparently tasted horrible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So far I am finding this to be better than Candle Cove, but i still have to wonder why they insist of making six episodes, when the stories they are building these seasons on just don't support that.
It know they probably only have a shoestring budget to work on, but remember the original story being a lot more scary and it is something that could be done on the cheap.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I have a feeling the nerd kid who ran into his double was not in his own room 6. He was in the girl's room 6 and his double had consumed all of her memories of real life. No idea why he would show up in some rando's room, but I'm guessing that's why his double murdered the gently caress out of him.

I'm guessing if the best friend had stuck around her Margot for very long, she might have been in for the same fate

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
My current theory: I think the house is eating their memories. There's real people that slowly go brain dead, and the "cannibals" that eat the memories. Margot might start forgetting stuff as her fake dad eats more of her weird fake garage body. The sculptures in the first room showed hands prying their heads open... except for the beta guy. My guess is that maybe he hasn't made enough interesting memories or he doesn't have enough "drive" to make the juice worth the squeeze--his untouched sculpture suggests something was going to go wrong with his end of the house from the start.

I'm also wondering if there's not a theme of people vis a vis other people. Margot to her dad, the husband to his wife, Margot's friend to a failed/unwanted pregnancy? The kid with the double's complication may be that the person he hurt the most (or feels like he let down the most) was himself.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oasx posted:

So far I am finding this to be better than Candle Cove, but i still have to wonder why they insist of making six episodes, when the stories they are building these seasons on just don't support that.
It know they probably only have a shoestring budget to work on, but remember the original story being a lot more scary and it is something that could be done on the cheap.

I very much prefer it this way. I feel like 10+ hours of either this or Candle Cove would have been a big stretch with at least multiple bad or filler episodes. So far I don't think there's been even one bad episode of Channel Zero

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, so people are filled with caviar.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Went back and watched the teasers for this season to see what kinda clues there were about the upcoming episodes. I suppose the official trailer using the tagline "inside this house, your memories will eat you alive" was a bit on the nose.

I'm interested to see if there's some more that develops next episode regarding the cannibals' senses. This week we had Margot's Dad eating a tasteless omelette, and JT getting beaten (to death?) because his doppelganger wanted to know how pistachio ice cream tastes. We saw Dad chow down already, I can only assume the same thing happened to JT. I wonder if we'll see the cannibals become more human the more memories they consume, while those who entered the house lose it more and more, like the unlucky lady at JT's house.

Spraynard Kruger fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 29, 2017

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Okay, okay that was incredibly creepy and then it got worse and worse.
* The glass bottle never broke
* Guy with the bin bags standing there in the background
* Dead eyed sex toy lady

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Really enjoyed the first season. Going to have to keep from seeing spoilers for this one. Based on the early reactions.....it's going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So yeah, the cannibals are eating their memories, hollowing them out and just leaving them in this fake world. Except for JD, who was too hosed in the head.

• Locked thread