Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Paperinik. It would be really awesome to see an English-language Disney thing that doesn't pretend PK doesn't exist.

Injustice will end the day Disney acknowledges Donald Duck's superhero identity in European comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

amigolupus posted:

It's super unlikely given the modern setting, but I would like to see Teddy Roosevelt from the Rosa comics since he's one of the few people Scrooge likes and might call his friend.

Scrooge tells the family about his youth in the old west and that time he got into a fight with Teddy Roosevelt in a flashback episode.

Cut back to the modern day at the end and you see Webby desperately trying to do the math on Scrooge's age.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I vaguely recall what seemed like a Westernisation of Papernik (I think it had a tie-in video game?) in Disney Adventures magazine or something. They didn't really seem to know what to do with it.

IIRC, isn't a good chunk of Rockerduck's characterisation 'the best that money can buy' to contrast Scrooge's stinginess? They might be transplanting that onto Mark Beaks. (Might even see some counterpart traits to Elon Musk, possibly)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Inescapable Duck posted:

I vaguely recall what seemed like a Westernisation of Papernik (I think it had a tie-in video game?) in Disney Adventures magazine or something. They didn't really seem to know what to do with it.

Disney's PK: Out of the Shadows got a North American release for PS2 and Gamecube in 2002... for whatever reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Then again, while I've only mostly read vague descriptions, I have some trouble getting my head around Paperinik. I mean, I get that any superhero eventually ends up dealing with some pretty silly crazy alien invaders, Darkseid and the New Gods were first introduced in Jimmy Olsen Comics after all. More his actual core concept. Spring-Heeled-Jack with Donald's temper weaponised?

Doesn't help that like most of the Disney cast being basically a troupe of characters that can 'play' any role necessarily, apparently his competence, abilities and success rate vary wildly between writers, regions and issues.

Funky Valentine posted:

Scrooge tells the family about his youth in the old west and that time he got into a fight with Teddy Roosevelt in a flashback episode.

Cut back to the modern day at the end and you see Webby desperately trying to do the math on Scrooge's age.

This might end up like Mr Burns, though they might be better off playing Scrooge's age vaguely, given his whole archetype might be a tricky time jiving with a setting update.

Don Rosa apparently had Scrooge born in 1860, and dying in 1960, with most of his adventures with the triplets happening in the 50s? I forget the details, and I'm bad at math, but wondering what a modern equivalent of that would be.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Then again, while I've only mostly read vague descriptions, I have some trouble getting my head around Paperinik. I mean, I get that any superhero eventually ends up dealing with some pretty silly crazy alien invaders, Darkseid and the New Gods were first introduced in Jimmy Olsen Comics after all. More his actual core concept. Spring-Heeled-Jack with Donald's temper weaponised?

He is inspired by Diabolik, a gentleman thief, and in his first stories Paperinik wasn't a superhero, but a way for Donald to avenge himself, mainly on Scrooge and Gladstone. The first Paperinik story is titled "Paperinik, the devilish avenger", and in one of the first stories he steals Scrooge's money-filled mattress with Scrooge still on it. The origin story is Donald finding the mansion that belonged to Fantomius, legendary gentleman-thief, and using his gadgets to become Paperinik. Concerns about the character and meddling from the editors later changed Paperinik to a crime fighting vigilante, using gadgets provided by Gyro Gearloose, who in some stories would take memory-cancelling candy in order to forget being the one who actually builds Paperinik's gear.

The aliens came in the 90s, with the start of the standalone comic book PK, which mostly casts off the Duckburg setting and introduces new support characters.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gyro's characterization change chafes a little because aren't we already going to have an insufferable tech guy to hate in Mark Beaks? I mean, the creator's have said they gonna use Ludwig as the nicer smart guy, but didn't the people who worked on the prior incarnations of these stories say that the problem with Gyro and Ludwig was that they were basically redundant with each other, which is why you really only saw one or the other in any given work? I guess I just hope Gyro softens a little as the show goes on is all.

Anyway, these downtime episodes where exactly what I was hoping for. The premiere was a bit on the frantic side (for good reason, need to the sell that first impression after all), so I was expecting these episodes to slow down a bit to give us some breathing room, and that's exactly what we got. Surprisingly, I think I rather like the rear end in a top hat vulture capitalists and hope they make at least a few more appearances. There's just something darkly funny I find about these guys trying to manage a nice, sensible cut-throat global financial empire while surrounded by literal madmen and their boss being a total adrenaline-junkie. One the of the next episodes should definitely be another globetrotting adventure though, I agree.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I just want Magica De Spell to show up soon. And also Gladstone

I think Gladstone shows up in episode 6 or 7.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Gyro's characterization change chafes a little because aren't we already going to have an insufferable tech guy to hate in Mark Beaks? I mean, the creator's have said they gonna use Ludwig as the nicer smart guy, but didn't the people who worked on the prior incarnations of these stories say that the problem with Gyro and Ludwig was that they were basically redundant with each other, which is why you really only saw one or the other in any given work? I guess I just hope Gyro softens a little as the show goes on is all.

Anyway, these downtime episodes where exactly what I was hoping for. The premiere was a bit on the frantic side (for good reason, need to the sell that first impression after all), so I was expecting these episodes to slow down a bit to give us some breathing room, and that's exactly what we got. Surprisingly, I think I rather like the rear end in a top hat vulture capitalists and hope they make at least a few more appearances. There's just something darkly funny I find about these guys trying to manage a nice, sensible cut-throat global financial empire while surrounded by literal madmen and their boss being a total adrenaline-junkie. One the of the next episodes should definitely be another globetrotting adventure though, I agree.

Mark Beaks is more like Steve Jobs from what I can gather. Beaks has the ideas and shows them off, but the technical lifting is done by people like Gyro who are meant to be in the background to him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's hard to argue one way or the other about Mark Beaks because he has yet to be in an episode of the show.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Surprisingly, I think I rather like the rear end in a top hat vulture capitalists and hope they make at least a few more appearances. There's just something darkly funny I find about these guys trying to manage a nice, sensible cut-throat global financial empire while surrounded by literal madmen and their boss being a total adrenaline-junkie.

I hope they keep showing up because I could listen to Marc Evan Jackson talk about anything all day.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here are the upcoming episodes and their stated air dates.

Episode 4 "The Beagle Birthday Massacre!" September 30
Episode 5 "Escape To/From Atlantis!" October 3rd
Episode 6 "Terror of the Terra-firmians!" October 7th
Episode 7 "The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!" October 13th
Episode 8 "The House of the Lucky Gander!" October 21st
Episode 9 "The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!" October 28th

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Since they said Huey will be getting some attention by episode 8, I suspect I know whom the intern is.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Don Rosa apparently had Scrooge born in 1860, and dying in 1960, with most of his adventures with the triplets happening in the 50s? I forget the details, and I'm bad at math, but wondering what a modern equivalent of that would be.

You could have him be born in 1920, die in 2020, adventures happening in the 2010s, and he could have visited Cape Suzette when he was a teenager. Basically you could do a World War 2 story in the world of Talespin. Maybe he fought with Don Karnage at one point.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MichiganCubbie posted:

You could have him be born in 1920, die in 2020, adventures happening in the 2010s, and he could have visited Cape Suzette when he was a teenager. Basically you could do a World War 2 story in the world of Talespin. Maybe he fought with Don Karnage at one point.

@showrunners please do this

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Please don't kill Scrooge :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did the Duck comics acknowledge any of the wars? When Scrooge came to America it would've been right at the tail end of reconstruction, and then there's the Spanish-American war, both world wars, and then the Korean war right when Scrooge was doing his adventures with his nephews.

There's only one Disney cartoon I know of that acknowledges the war, but at the end it turns out it was all a dream.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did the Duck comics acknowledge any of the wars? When Scrooge came to America it would've been right at the tail end of reconstruction, and then there's the Spanish-American war, both world wars, and then the Korean war right when Scrooge was doing his adventures with his nephews.

There's only one Disney cartoon I know of that acknowledges the war, but at the end it turns out it was all a dream.

At least a couple comics acknowledged Donald's service in WW2, including the fact that he has at least some form of PTSD from it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

y'all the duck comics sound wack as gently caress

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

At least a couple comics acknowledged Donald's service in WW2, including the fact that he has at least some form of PTSD from it

I mean yeah working in a Nazi munitions factory would screw anybody up.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not a duck comic, but Talespin acknowledges WW1, and Baloo is the right age to have been a pilot during the war.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nothing really about Reconstruction. Scrooge got his start in America working for his uncle on a Mississippi riverboat circa 1882. He's a globe-trotter seeking his fortune, so obviously getting involved in any wars would not help him achieve those goals. He was in the Klondike making his first millions by the time the Spanish-American War rolled around, although Rosa had Scrooge encounter Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders a few years after the war.

By the time of WWI, Scrooge was a wealthy businessman in his 40s/50s. Not exactly doughboy material.

Also a slight correction to Scrooge's birth date that was mentioned earlier. According to Rosa, Scrooge was born in 1867 and died in 1967. This allows all of Barks' adventures and background material make sense continuity-wise (particularly the Klondike stuff where he'd be in his early 30s), and 1967 is significant as that was the year Barks retired.

Duck comic writers don't have to adhere to this timeline (and most don't), but since Rosa and Barks are typically held in the highest regard, it's about as close to a "true timeline" as you're going to get.

DuckTales has no desire to adhere to this and will probably just gloss over the years for the Klondike stuff. Kids won't think much of it, and hell most adults watching it with their kids probably know next-to-nothing about the Yukon gold rush. Just us Comic Book Guy nerds will have our cartoon duck immersion ruined.

Edit: I'm American so I knew nothing about Paperinik. Reading up a bit on him and... yeah, I ain't feeling it. Super Snooper is where it's at.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 28, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

y'all the duck comics sound quack as gently caress

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
They've stated that they're not giving a firm answer on when the new toon is set, year-wise. There are smart phones, but a lot of the technology is faux-retro and the aesthetics of the architecture and everything else is a mash up of modern day and previous decades.

In other words, it's time period agnostic.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

cptn_dr posted:

I hope they keep showing up because I could listen to Marc Evan Jackson talk about anything all day.

I hope a Shere Khan shows up as I'd like them to strut their stuff up against a suitable rival business empire that isn't some wacky clone of Scrooge or a lunatic. It'd be interesting to just get someone half as good as Tony Jay to be intimidating, even to Scrooge, in the realm of profits and competition in legitimate buisness. Bonus points if you allude to the vultures in Scrooge's employ at one point being the vultures from the Jungle book a long time ago. :v:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 28, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ballz posted:

Nothing really about Reconstruction. Scrooge got his start in America working for his uncle on a Mississippi riverboat circa 1882. He's a globe-trotter seeking his fortune, so obviously getting involved in any wars would not help him achieve those goals.

Well it worked for some people.

It's really no wonder how pulp adventure stories all ended up being about some westerner running around plundering natives and toppling everything in their path, considering what was going on in the 19th and early 20th centuries. I love pulp-inspired things, but it is always a little unsettling to consider their origins.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Crabtree posted:

I hope a Shere Khan shows up as I'd like them to strut their stuff up against a suitable rival business empire that isn't some wacky clone of Scrooge or a lunatic. It'd be interesting to just get someone half as good as Tony Jay to be intimidating, even to Scrooge, in the realm of profits and competition in legitimate buisness. Bonus points if you allude to the vultures in Scrooge's employ at one point being the vultures from the Jungle book a long time ago. :v:

David Kaye.

David Kaye.

DAVID KAYE.

DAVID KAYE!!!!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Injustice will end the day Disney acknowledges Donald Duck's superhero identity in European comics.

God help me for actually engaging with you, but I don't think it's any kind of actual injustice that Paperinik doesn't show up in American stuff. I just think it's strange, and it'd be cool to see in this show; the premise of "Donald Duck as Fantomas/Diabolik" kinda has some legs, as evidenced by the fact that they've been making Paperinik comics in Italy since loving 1969.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ballz posted:

Edit: I'm American so I knew nothing about Paperinik. Reading up a bit on him and... yeah, I ain't feeling it. Super Snooper is where it's at.

Marvin Monkey is much better. :colbert:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

David Kaye.

David Kaye.

DAVID KAYE.

DAVID KAYE!!!!

If not him, Simon Templeton could be an interesting replacement if he went into his Kain voice.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I remember a few papernik comics (though called him Phantomias in german and ... Donaldman :psyduck: in slovak). He was just doing general crimefighting stuff, often hired by Scrooge, don't remember nothing about aliens.

We also had a Supergoofy where he gets superpowers from magic peanuts.

I like the take of Donald actually being competent - he used to show up with a different job so often and is actually quite good at them, in the end brought down by his temper or just plain bad luck.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 28, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Post old Scrooge comics ITT

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Post old Scrooge comics ITT

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

If there's gonna be superhero antics afoot, how is everyone's first thought not of Darkwing?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The idea of more pulp adventure-style protagonists recklessly endangering children running into full on superheroes makes me picture the show briefly turning into G-rated Venture Bros with ducks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

If there's gonna be superhero antics afoot, how is everyone's first thought not of Darkwing?

Darkwing's already in. This is about other possible superheroes.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Not a duck comic, but Talespin acknowledges WW1, and Baloo is the right age to have been a pilot during the war.

It's Porco Rosso but everyone are animals. So yes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:yeah:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sorry if it's been asked before and I've missed it, but if I wanted to read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, what would be the best way to do that? Is there a particularly well regarded/definitive/ actually available edition I should be looking for?

Pretty much my only exposure to Duck comics has been these four episodes of Duck Tales and hazy memories of Darkwing Duck from when I was about 6, so I'd like to rectify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

Sorry if it's been asked before and I've missed it, but if I wanted to read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, what would be the best way to do that? Is there a particularly well regarded/definitive/ actually available edition I should be looking for?

Most of the stand-alone collections are out of print, but it's most recently been collected in vols. 4 and 5 (?) of the Don Rosa Library series from Fantagraphics.

It might be on a digital service but I don't use any of them.