Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The GOP has been building itself into a party of grievances since Newt took over, so yeah of course they are more interested in crying about black football players protesting than getting literally any of their platform done. And we are better off with it that way really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Kaepernick go on the Saskatchewan Roughriders
We might even manage to score a fifth rouge!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What is this "Neo Yokyo" they're talking about? :confused:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Anime satire on netflix(or some other streaming service idk)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Anime satire on netflix(or some other streaming service idk)

I'm so out of touch. :corsair:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

prefect posted:

What is this "Neo Yokyo" they're talking about? :confused:

A weird anime comedy with Ezra Koenig, Desus and Mero, and Jaden Smith

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Henchman of Santa posted:

A weird anime comedy with Ezra Koenig, Desus and Mero, and Jaden Smith

I know who that last name is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

prefect posted:

I know who that last name is.

Ezra Koenig is the guy from Vampire Weekend. Desus and Mero are two guys with popular twitter accounts and a Vice show where they riff on stuff for half an hour

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Desus and Mero rock. I got $100 from their promotion w the Square cash app.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Desus and Mero are what the Daily Show always wished it was, just two very funny people watching news clips/pop culture poo poo and laughing and making fun of it and then having genuinely good interviews with guests.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

It seems like the entire right-wing political movement is based around trying to provoke and relish schadenfreude. "Liberal tears" mugs, "Trigglypuff meltdowns," Ben Garrison cartoons, Steven Crowder. Hell, Trump's stated rationale for marrying Melania was because having an attractive piece of eastern European arm candy would just make other men jealous.

It's a sign of being so incredibly not mad online, you see.

Not sure where I saw it, but someone wrote something to the effect of "A right-wing supporter will let Trump poo poo in their mouth if it meant the liberal next to them had to smell it."

They love to say "lol triggered" but don't care that Trump has been tweeting about the NFL for days.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of their earliest episodes was about old white Republicans losing their poo poo over activism in football, but I can't remember which exact episode.

The Dry Boys are absolute fire on the latest, and I totally get it. This is the culture war issue that will always, always get me frothing mad online and off. The luckiest, most pampered, most narcissistic generation in the history of the planet, who view politics entirely through the lens of whether or not they get to be treated as the center of the world, thinks young people (and oppressed minorities) are oversensitive and looking to be offended.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
four posts and no one mentioned Bodega Boys, the Desus + Mero podcast, which is legitimately one of the best active shows

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Halloween Jack posted:

One of their earliest episodes was about old white Republicans losing their poo poo over activism in football, but I can't remember which exact episode.

The Dry Boys are absolute fire on the latest, and I totally get it. This is the culture war issue that will always, always get me frothing mad online and off. The luckiest, most pampered, most narcissistic generation in the history of the planet, who view politics entirely through the lens of whether or not they get to be treated as the center of the world, thinks young people (and oppressed minorities) are oversensitive and looking to be offended.

Well, young people are terrible, you have to grant them that. (This is a universal truth.)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

emdash posted:

four posts and no one mentioned Bodega Boys, the Desus + Mero podcast, which is legitimately one of the best active shows

Boywhiz88 posted:

EDIT: had a really cool windfall the other day. The oven thermometer was part of a care package for my aunt and cousin to encourage me in my paling journey. Got an amazing spatula, my first Penzeys Spices, a bunch of mix-ins like Andes Mint or Buncha Crunch, an embroidered apron that says "The Cookie Guy", and some baking vanilla from JR Watkin's. I love this vanilla, it's just the best! But you can only get it from JR Watkins directly at this time, at least where I live.

Well, I'm finally running low on it and I'm too cheap to pay shipping when it's a considerable fraction of the cost. They've got a promo from their flyer for free shipping for orders over $50. I thought about reaching out in a neighborhood group to see if other people would go in on an order. Then I decided, I'll just do it myself. Unfortunately, I picked up some of their spices I found locally... so my order looked like three 11oz bottles of the vanilla, and ginger.

I'm a big fan of the Bodega Boys podcast, and they've been running this thing w Square's new cash app, think Venmo or PayPal, and you just gotta tweet at them what you need cash for. So I hit them up asking for $50 so I didn't have to pay shipping for my vanilla.

I wake up on Friday to this!

Holy poo poo! So I stayed true to my word and ordered a poo poo load of vanilla!

I also picked up a lot of cheap margarine, used a raincheck for some sugar, got some cheap flour, got JR Watkins vanilla (for frosting and non-baking applications, you see) at a 33% cheaper price than their website, and REALLY cheap M&Ms. So now I've got 4lbs of margarine, 10lbs of flour, 24lbs of sugar, 84 oz of M&Ms, and like 44oz of vanilla (once my order gets here). I plan on using the last little bit to pick up offset spatulas and begin the descent into frosting and cakes.

The Bodega Boys podcast is the loving best.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Bodega Boys podcast is the loving best.

goddamn, that's really great

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
For a long time Desus had the funniest account on Twitter. I feel like he keeps his powder dry for his content empire now though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/adamkshuck/status/912704257081708561
Man who knew Elon Musk is going to single handely turn Pittsburgh into a Star Wars planet with his fancy hyperloop, though at least the Parkway east looks improved

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The luckiest, most pampered, most narcissistic generation in the history of the planet, who view politics entirely through the lens of whether or not they get to be treated as the center of the world, thinks young people (and oppressed minorities) are oversensitive and looking to be offended.

Are you by chance a fan of the blogger The Last Psychiatrist? The blog morphed over several years from an insider's guide to everything wrong with modern psychiatry to a blog about how baby boomers and generation x have destroyed future generations with their rampant narcissism. He got doxxed in 2014 and abruptly stopped updating, and his internet absence has left a hole that Chapo just barely manages to fill on their best days.

Every time the Chapo crew goes in on liberal media viewing the world as if it were a movie in-progress, I think of TLP.

Here is one possible starting point if anyone is interested. It's about how the Matrix is the perfect representation of American Narcissism.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chapo should do an episode on the state of municipal politics. Peduto is such a shithead and would be a good topic. DeBlasio is a complex figure and would also make an interesting episode.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GalacticAcid posted:

For a long time Desus had the funniest account on Twitter. I feel like he keeps his powder dry for his content empire now though.

didn’t Mero get suspended for a few days recently? I forget what for

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Know Such Peace posted:

Are you by chance a fan of the blogger The Last Psychiatrist? The blog morphed over several years from an insider's guide to everything wrong with modern psychiatry to a blog about how baby boomers and generation x have destroyed future generations with their rampant narcissism. He got doxxed in 2014 and abruptly stopped updating, and his internet absence has left a hole that Chapo just barely manages to fill on their best days.

Every time the Chapo crew goes in on liberal media viewing the world as if it were a movie in-progress, I think of TLP.

Here is one possible starting point if anyone is interested. It's about how the Matrix is the perfect representation of American Narcissism.

Same. Seems like the only media that mentions TLP is the Cracked podcast where David Wong quotes him all the time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Know Such Peace posted:

Thanks for linking that, I really enjoyed it. As much as I enjoy the melee of twitter, I also really enjoyed a few of the 2000s blogs by people who could really think and write. I'm a little jealous of those guys because I know I'm a poo poo writer and wish I could do it better. TLP reminds me of Billmon who I read religiously back when the Iraq invasion was gearing up.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nearly every time people get excited and linked a David Wong piece on my dash it reads like what if Hillibilly Elegy puked all over a Bret Stephens/Jonathan Chait piece, only with more gently caress words and wacky images. And that TLP piece felt like if I read that weird justine poem booklet that was going around a while back that was just someone hammering the enter key once every few words.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 26, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“Analytic Engine”" post="“476785416”"]
Same. Seems like the only media that mentions TLP is the Cracked podcast where David Wong quotes him all the time.
[/quote]

One more link for the thread is David Wong's instant classic "6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person", which name-drops TLP. I'd love to see someone pick up the mantle, but that thought itself defeats one of the main points TLP/Alone was trying to make.

There is a difference between entertainment and activism. Do not confuse the two.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/912779619803201536

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Desus and Mero are what the Daily Show always wished it was, just two very funny people watching news clips/pop culture poo poo and laughing and making fun of it and then having genuinely good interviews with guests.

Oh poo poo it's those guys? Saw a number of their clips on twitter but didn't put it together with the name. Head good things???? about the show

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/adamkshuck/status/912704257081708561
Man who knew Elon Musk is going to single handely turn Pittsburgh into a Star Wars planet with his fancy hyperloop, though at least the Parkway east looks improved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUsThuE2NtE

red19fire
May 26, 2010

emdash posted:

For everyone curious, desus & mero has almost every episode on Youtube the day after it airs. It's amazing, as is the Bodega Boys podcast. You can also find old Desus Vs Mero clips on YT too, and it's incredible to watch as they mention sometimes on the current podcast that in the DVM days they were completely broke and selling drugs on the side, like mero said he was sleeping on a cot in the basement of a condemned house right before DVM got picked up.

GalacticAcid posted:

This is my concern too,i worry they'll have to sacrifice quality somewhere if they keep getting bigger. Which is a great problem to have. Like for example, Jay Oakerson was funny on legion of skanks, then picked up the Bonfire show on sirius for 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week, and started phoning it on LOS (which is pretty poo poo now overall).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m more concerned about a possible drinking problem and/or diabetes from Red Bull.

I wish someone would make a Bodega Boys or Desus and Mero thread. I know too little and wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it.

Can it be tomorrow already? They’ve just been on such a roll and hopefully Amber isn’t out and about.

Oh my gosh. I want them to do an episode on “The Good Doctor”

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 27, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GalacticAcid posted:

Chapo should do an episode on the state of municipal politics. Peduto is such a shithead and would be a good topic. DeBlasio is a complex figure and would also make an interesting episode.
I do love there are ton of legit reasons to hate Peduto, but the one's the idiotic racist right wingers bring up is that he wants the city to have bike lanes which leads a lot of dumb concern trolling about it hurting the environment and killing businesses :qq: Honestly the whole downtown area of Pittsburgh should either be public transport or biking only, that layout was not meant for cars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Know Such Peace posted:

No, but I just read a few of his posts, and oh Christ what a tiresome rear end in a top hat. Rather than saying that he "left a hole that Chapo barely fills" I find that having enjoyed Chapo and a number of other writers, his particular obsessions are narrow and banal.

He sure does love hammering home the point that getting a BA in, uh, anything that colleges classify as a BA is stupid. Because as we know, nobody with a degree in a business or technology related field finds themselves surplus to requirements in a changing economy. And everyone who graduates from law school has their blood replaced with Laphroiag. Was he locked in a basement with MFA students until he went mad?

I don't really have time to go through his Hipsters On Food Stamps series line-by-line pointing out all the ways in which, despite posing as the prophet of hard-nosed reality, he routinely disclaims responsibility for his beliefs, stops short of any actual read on the economy, and seems to be aware of poor people and minorities only as a sort of fog in the distance.

quote:

While the idea of a Metafilter post-doc receiving food stamps AND telling me they're entitled to it makes my eyes go Sauronic,
Yeah, this style is well past its expiration date.
The problem of the antiestablishment blockbuster is as old as Star Wars in 1977.

Which, by the way, that's also a film where the principal characters suddenly discover abilities they should not plausibly have, precisely because they believe in something larger than themselves.

The film he actually wants to be criticizing as an emblem of white male narcissism is Tron: Legacy.

quote:

Society is nothing more than individual psychology multiplied by too many to count. If narcissism is what drives this society, then only narcissism will explain it.
I think I've found the problem.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Know Such Peace posted:

The phrase "not even wrong" comes to mind.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Also, is it just me, or was there a whole sub-sub-subgenre of people purporting to explain that scene in Glengarry Glen Ross to an audience presumably not cool and smart enough to get it?

Here's the for-real woke true fact stated thing that TLP and the Cracked guy (whose writing styles I can't even distinguish from one another) don't get about that scene: If everybody was the employee Baldwin advise them to become, they wouldn't be content to be employees anymore--for gently caress's sake, the outcome of the contest is that for that and other reasons, Roma gets fed up and leaves. Premiere Properties wants their employees to be ruthless sharks who are nonetheless content with a pat on the back and a set of steak knives.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/912869625456680960

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What's funny about Glengarry Glenn Ross is that Mamet is now hard right

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

TLP reminds me of Billmon who I read religiously back when the Iraq invasion was gearing up.
TLP reminds me of Seanbaby but Seanbaby never claimed to be a brain genius wisdom expert and knows that his main job skill is calling Batman and Robin gay.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
gently caress
https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/912874868873596928

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Know Such Peace posted:

One more link for the thread is David Wong's instant classic "6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person", which name-drops TLP. I'd love to see someone pick up the mantle, but that thought itself defeats one of the main points TLP/Alone was trying to make.

There is a difference between entertainment and activism. Do not confuse the two.

That piece was just a handjob to self-proclaimed social darwinists that would not survive in the world David Wong envisioned there.

Halloween Jack posted:

Also, is it just me, or was there a whole sub-sub-subgenre of people purporting to explain that scene in Glengarry Glen Ross to an audience presumably not cool and smart enough to get it?

Here's the for-real woke true fact stated thing that TLP and the Cracked guy (whose writing styles I can't even distinguish from one another) don't get about that scene: If everybody was the employee Baldwin advise them to become, they wouldn't be content to be employees anymore--for gently caress's sake, the outcome of the contest is that for that and other reasons, Roma gets fed up and leaves. Premiere Properties wants their employees to be ruthless sharks who are nonetheless content with a pat on the back and a set of steak knives.

I always thought that scene was a parody of the self made man in business, and hi speech is just him jacking off in front of everyone.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The Galaxy Brain move is to drift through life waiting for dead gay forum posters to validate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

TLP explicitly describes why the ABS speech is disingenuous, but you would have to read the article