Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Feenix posted:

I get the kind of hardcore strategy involved with being killed within 5 seconds of touching disown. I guess what makes it suck is how slow and lovely it is getting into the next game. Like, nearly 5 min of loading and some skydiving and then, oop, time to start the loading all over.

Considering each match has about 100 people in it, that's pretty dang fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

SamuraiPaul posted:

Welcome, my brother. I knew there were others like you out there somewhere. I regret to inform you that Titanfall 2 and pretty much all bethesda games like Dishonored, Doom and Wolfentime are completely without true inversion and expect you to settle for half. But what's worse, there are 3rd person games that lack this important option.

Shadow of Mordor (no invert x)
Rise of The Tomb Raider (no invert x)
Fortnite (you guessed it)
Edit: Also stay away from The Division, Ghost Recon and Mad Max

I've encountered like 3 first person games that let me invert the x axis.

Destiny
Borderlands
Resident Evil 7
Edit: Overwatch too

You can follow #invertx on twitter where you'll find a chicken nugget posting screen shots of option screens and yelling at developers (yes I am that nugget)

The best thing you can really do is stay informed and be careful what you buy. There is hope though, when Horizon first shipped it lacked invert x but they eventually realized their mistake and added it about a month later.

Thank you for your service.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't play with invert X but the lack of option in most games has always kind of baffled me. Like, every game offers invert Y. What's with the half measure? Seems like something they could implement in 5 minutes.

Then again, I'd say at this point if you are playing invert x it's time to either give up or expect to rejigger some poo poo on a system level.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

veni veni veni posted:

Then again, I'd say at this point if you are playing invert x it's time to either give up or expect to rejigger some poo poo on a system level.

You say that but I've got way more games to play this year than I've had any other year.

Yakuza 0
Nioh
NierAutomata
Horizon
Absolver
Everybody's Golf
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Destiny Too
(This is just stuff I bought)

Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2

I've already had a conversation Biomutant's twitter and they confirmed it was in there and I'm going to go ahead and assume Spider-Man is going to have it too.

All the Yakuzas. all of the Dark Souls. all of the EDFs. They all have this feature so it's not like I'm really missing out on anything truly good. (I'll probably play Doom when it's free maybe? Maybe)

I beat Titanfall 2's campaign but am fine with never coming back to it. And I did recently cave and bought shadow warrior 2 to play with a friend. I can stand to miss the next far cry or tom clancy game though.

vvvv In a flying or swimming simulator having just the y axis inverted on the LEFT stick makes perfect sense. But we're talking about controlling a camera. There's this ancient piece of technology called a tripod that's a perfect example of what we're talking about.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 27, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't play with invert X but the lack of option in most games has always kind of baffled me. Like, every game offers invert Y. What's with the half measure? Seems like something they could implement in 5 minutes.

When has a flight stick ever reversed roll? Pitch makes sense, but roll and yaw always go the way you direct it to go. Invert X seems loving mental and I say that as someone who has been playing games with flight sticks for 20 years.

e: Unless your brain comprehends moving the stick as moving the back of the camera around? I've always seen invert pitch as a hangover from the days of traditional joysticks.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 27, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

boz posted:

Considering each match has about 100 people in it, that's pretty dang fast.

Yeah no I get it. It's not bad, considering... but the reality is still a poo poo ton of waiting around for not much playtime.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is the path to the Bloodborne DLC relatively obvious? About when should I be going through there? (I beat the original game but started a new file for this)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the path to the Bloodborne DLC relatively obvious? About when should I be going through there? (I beat the original game but started a new file for this)

The DLC item tells you in its description and when you pick it up exactly how to access the DLC. It becomes available as soon as you beat Amelia, and you're welcome to poke your head in right away since there are plenty of items and weapons you can pick up in the first area without fighting anything. Most likely you'll want to be somewhere in the range of level 60 or above before you tackle the first boss, he's real tough.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Go to the Hunter's Dream to get a new item from a messenger, then go to the Cathedral Ward, leave via the left exit and go to where you picked up the top hat and Hunters set (sorta to the right of the exit) and enjoy the ride.

After that, it's a tombstone warp in the Hunter's Dream.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I grabbed Yooka-Laylee finally on the cheap. It's pretty fun so far!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Did anyone get Ruiner? I'm watching it on Live on PlayStation and it looks so slick but for $26.99 CAD I'm hesitant.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
my favorite hosed up axis inversion was from silent hill homecoming. It had only an option to invert both x and y at the same time and it only inverted the normal camera controls and went back to uninverted when drawing your weapon. When I sent an email to their support all I got was a reply of "Not a bug, working as designed".

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
For the longest time, the Japanese developers apparently had no idea how to handle first person interfaces. I think I remember multiple games where the first person zoom would hand control over to the left thumb stick. I seem to remember Ninja Gaiden’s bow aiming being similarly ridiculous. I KNOW it stopped you in your tracks which was unfunny as heck for a game about being a jumping ninja.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And then they made the final boss of the game only damageable by bow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coughing Hobo posted:

Go to the Hunter's Dream to get a new item from a messenger, then go to the Cathedral Ward, leave via the left exit and go to where you picked up the top hat and Hunters set (sorta to the right of the exit) and enjoy the ride.

After that, it's a tombstone warp in the Hunter's Dream.

Regy Rusty posted:

The DLC item tells you in its description and when you pick it up exactly how to access the DLC. It becomes available as soon as you beat Amelia, and you're welcome to poke your head in right away since there are plenty of items and weapons you can pick up in the first area without fighting anything. Most likely you'll want to be somewhere in the range of level 60 or above before you tackle the first boss, he's real tough.

Thanks!

I guess it's not like riding a bike because I have already died 20 times in Central Yharnam and I haven't even fought either of the bosses yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inverting in mgsv made rocket punch uninverted. Kojima failed

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I got Splasher because it looked like it was rad as gently caress and it is indeed rad as gently caress. It's pretty much Meat Boy combined with the paint mechanics from Portal 2 with a tiny bit of Splatoon. So far it seems be one if the best super meat boy type games I've played since, well, super meat boy. Granted I'm not that far in and I suspect this game will be over far too soon but so far what's there is really clever and feels really good to play.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Personally I think it's worth waiting until the end of the game to do it. The first boss and the last boss are some of the hardest in the entire game and Souls series by extension. It absolutely assumes you are comfortable with the existing level of challenge in the main game and want something spicier. I remember it was recommended to try when you're at level 60 or something, but I thought 80 might have been more reasonable.

Either way, you can warp in and out whenever you feel like, so you don't lose anything by trying it when you're underleveled. In fact, you can even make some quick suicide runs to get some of the new weapons without fighting any bosses. Just remember to go back to vanilla if you hit a brick wall and need some help.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Personally I think it's worth waiting until the end of the game to do it. The first boss and the last boss are some of the hardest in the entire game and Souls series by extension. It absolutely assumes you are comfortable with the existing level of challenge in the main game and want something spicier. I remember it was recommended to try when you're at level 60 or something, but I thought 80 might have been more reasonable.

Either way, you can warp in and out whenever you feel like, so you don't lose anything by trying it when you're underleveled. In fact, you can even make some quick suicide runs to get some of the new weapons without fighting any bosses. Just remember to go back to vanilla if you hit a brick wall and need some help.

Wait to fight it straight, but you can absolutely run and get some awesome weapons. Check out some YouTube's and grab the pizza cutter

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can run around the level picking stuff up. some of the best weapons in the game are just lying around in the dlc area before the first boss fight

I wouldn't recommend it personally tho, just because it'd make going through the area for real later less interesting

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I say grab the pizza cutter and the saif. Both weapons are fun as heck for very different reasons.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Everything everyone has said is right and I just wanna add that TOH is probably the best single piece of DLC that has ever existed

Witcher 3 or New Vegas win for total collection of DLCs but that one alone is untouched

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Old Hunters and Blood and Wine are definitely neck and neck for best DLC ever. Personally I'd have to give it to Blood and Wine simply for how much it added and also acted as the proper finale for Geralt's time in The Witcher trilogy but The Old Hunters has such great, memorable boss fights and added weapons.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats slightly unfair though because old hunters was originally going to be 2 dlcs that got stuck together

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Awesome! posted:

thats slightly unfair though because old hunters was originally going to be 2 dlcs that got stuck together

So what? It's one DLC.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Fair, Blood and Wine is the only other single DLC thing in its class. I personally give it to Old Hunters cause I somehow took down Orphan of Kos on my second try and get to lord that over everyone else who says its the hardest boss in the series for the rest of my life despite otherwise being extremely bad at games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BF1, gorgeous to look at, feels great, enjoying the campaign...Multiplayer is like, profoundly miserable though. At least for now. It's just so frustrating. I feel so drat out gunned while I'm figuring everything out. I can't do poo poo to to machines. I hate all but one of the starting guns and I'm pretty middling on that one, and the money to buy new stuff rolls in painfully slow. It takes like 1.5 hours for me to unlock a single gun I don't even know if I'll like. It's like everything I loved in battlefield is different and all of the poo poo I hated in ramped up to 11. Like, I have never seen so many snipers in BF before. they are everywhere on every map. I hope it's just that initial hump whre you have to figure out everything before it gets fun, every BF is like that. But I really don't know if I'll warm up to this one. I would be having zero fun with it if I wasn't just running around with goons and BS'ing while playing.

AT least I'll finish the SP on this one. Hopefully the MP grows on me because right now I'm thinking gently caress this.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can grab 6 Bloodstone Chunks in The Old Hunters before you fight a boss, so if you like doing suicide runs/outrunning enemies you can power yourself up a bit early.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any good or horror stories for the PSVR?

I'm thinking of getting one (heard you can even use it on a PC) but I'm a bit hesitant.

Skyrim is supposed to be available with it later in the year, but I haven't even used my ps4 in a few months. Mainly thinking it'd be fun to have the giant cinema mode going. I have a 50" tv I use as a main display and a monitor so the cinema mode sounds like it'd be fun but I'm just kinda "Meh" at the moment. Was hoping someone had some feedback on it.

Doubt I'm gonna use the move controllers much. I live in the south and I'm about 99% sure I'd end up slamming my hands into a ceiling fan pretty damned quick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm thinking of getting one (heard you can even use it on a PC) but I'm a bit hesitant.

Skyrim is supposed to be available with it later in the year, but I haven't even used my ps4 in a few months. Mainly thinking it'd be fun to have the giant cinema mode going. I have a 50" tv I use as a main display and a monitor so the cinema mode sounds like it'd be fun but I'm just kinda "Meh" at the moment. Was hoping someone had some feedback on it.

Doubt I'm gonna use the move controllers much. I live in the south and I'm about 99% sure I'd end up slamming my hands into a ceiling fan pretty damned quick.

You're honestly better off just holding onto your money for another year until companies start integrating new features in a standardized "mark two" iteration. We're still at the competing-standards-wild-west-see-what-works level of tech, and you're best off waiting for things like foveated rendering to get proper integration along maybe with some kind of Knuckle/Touch controller.

If you really gotta spend the money burning a hole in your pocket right now though; PSVR's apparently very serviceable, but obviously not quite as good as Vive/Oculus and a top-end PC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Like many people I suspect, I was playing the hell out of the PSVR at first and then just basically ran out of content, since basically all the games are like fifteen minutes long each (with the notable exception of RE5, though that had a problem I wasn't expecting: the player character is like 5'6" and I'm 6'2" and it was really disorienting). It's sitting in a box waiting for the second wave of games to appear, which will hopefully be longer and more engaging.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like many people I suspect, I was playing the hell out of the PSVR at first and then just basically ran out of content, since basically all the games are like fifteen minutes long each (with the notable exception of RE5, though that had a problem I wasn't expecting: the player character is like 5'6" and I'm 6'2" and it was really disorienting). It's sitting in a box waiting for the second wave of games to appear, which will hopefully be longer and more engaging.

It's very much got the issue some consoles have in their launch window, where all you're really getting for that first year is whatever was specifically prepared for the console/hardware launch and now you've gotta sit and wait with fingers crossed while most studios are (hopefully) working on proper titles to release. Full development of a title takes a fair bit of time, you just don't notice because you're only seeing the last year/eighteen months of it when it pops up in a playable state while playing other games.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Good games? Check out the $20 Solus Project, we're crying GOTY over it. It's nothing special in 2D but VR it's immersion as hell, Move controllers and no need to waggle like it's 2006-2008 on the Wii. I went in at launch as an early investment, it is with Solus that I'm feeling the reward for getting into PSVR. If Skyrim ends up as good or better it will be the second killer app, in my opinion. 15+ hours to go through Solus, 100+ Skyrim surely. It's even got some horror parts.

Cinema mode is cool for a moment (like for the triple screen Taito arcade games) but suffers from variable drift because it's only using internal tracking for your head, there's a chance Sony'll fix it with firmware 5.0. If there's no batch of games you're burning for on PSVR or the tech in general right now I'd say to hold off. It can be used on PC, with $10 software and up to four PS3 Eye webcam you'll have headtracking, can also be used alongside Vive tracking and Vive motion controllers for a sweet 120hz PC VR solution.

and forget PSVR entirely if you're a graphicswhore, try a store demo first tho

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

Move controllers and no need to waggle like it's 2006-2008 on the Wii.
This is essential. Both Move controller tracking and the headset tracking are a whole different world from the pathetic attempts of the past.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
As I have not had proper gaming time to myself these last few days, I've been playing quick Crypt of the Necrodancer runs to tide me over.

I think it's one of the best indie games out there and the soundtrack is sublime. What a neat concept and execution :D

I wish I had a few days to just settle in to FFXV though!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
After playing way way too much Night Trap, I think I can safely say that one of my favorite lines from anything ever is "Vampires? You gotta be jivin' me! Let's cuff these freaks!"

The '80s. :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

With a third party hack, never tried it but some people say it works.

quote:

Cinema mode looks noticeably worse than a large high-quality TV, don't buy it just for that (with the notable exception of 3D Blu-Rays).

quote:

I also doubted this but if you do dive into VR they make a huge difference- some games are only playable with moves and/or it's a night-and-day difference in immersion.

Like the other guy said- don't get it to find out if you like it or not, try to experience something you really want to play on it first.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Here's my PSVR "horror" story:

I got one at launch. It was really cool. About 3 months later, I really wasn't playing it that much. Stuff kinda stopped coming out as much.

It's super cool, but I sold it while I could still get a decent payout for it.

I'll be back in once it gets more technologically advanced and has more mainstream support, I suppose.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Some game companies are already saying that VR development isn't worth it because it simply isn't profitable, so I'm not sure if it will ever mature. It's in danger of going the way of the Kinect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
We went round the loop with VR in the 90s once already - unless someone gets some must have games out there for it then it's going to die again.