Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

wormil posted:

I've never watched this show prior to this season but I recorded the old season reruns along with this season and binge watched everything over a few weeks. I like to pause and look over the tat myself before judging begins to see what I catch and what I don't. Chris Nunez is sometimes so on point and catches little details that I would have missed; and sometimes he goes off on some crazy rant that doesn't make any sense at all. He also seems to not give any fucks about the actual challenge or being consistent. It's as if the show editors mixed up his comments with the wrong tattoo. Or maybe he's literally insane. I don't know. Oliver Peck is more consistent but only has about 3 adjectives in his vocabulary. Those lines are jacked. Those hands are jacked. That leg is jacked. He's not wrong, but drat dude get a thesaurus.

This is why Dave is the best judge, because his comments often boil down to "would I want this on my body or not." Nunez just has his favorites and will justify keeping them around however he can.

bitchymcjones posted:

I hope Old Town wins. DJ and Bubba have really earned it. DJ is definitely the better artist of the two but Bubba is working so hard.

Yeah, I really like how they showed Bubba studying things he doesn't know (although maybe he should have done it before he came on the show but whatever). I don't like DJ but he's not the worst of them.

Overall I really didn't like the format of this season. Pretty much every team has someone I like and someone I can't stand. Like I would be ok with Matt winning but Katie is annoying. Makes it hard to root for any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
This is the first season I watched as well. I went back and watched a lot of the previous seasons after starting this one. I really don't think this season's format was fair. Would the veteran shops have done as well if they had been there from the beginning?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They did it last season too, it really fucks the beginners but honestly if they're gonna bring back veterans they're probably going to get to the end anyways. Lot of the newbies are super green and wouldn't have made it far and the tattoos would have been garbage for longer. I don't mind it actually, I like seeing the old losers come back and show if they've learned.

That's why I kinda like redemption. That loving Tough Tito cover up was crazy good and he did a lot of shitass tattoos that season.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
That's the surprising part about Bubba. Like, you know someone who made it top 3 in a previous season is going to do well. But when Bubba came back near the beginning of the season, I couldn't remember who he was. After the flashback I was like "Oh he's one of the terrible artists that went home early in one of the forgettable seasons." But he and DJ haven't made any major slip ups and done some great tattoos. Like, I rolled my eyes in the past when Kyle Dunbar and Tatu Baby came back the following season and both broke down over how they didn't expect the competition/judging to be tough again. Bubba seems like the first "veteran" to have the attitude of "I was over confident when I was here before and I took a few years really working and improving" and then taking the competition seriously when he came back and that's kinda cool.

So what's next season's gimmick going to be? 16 clones of Cleen Rock One with a new clone entering the competition each week?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

They did it last season too, it really fucks the beginners but honestly if they're gonna bring back veterans they're probably going to get to the end anyways. Lot of the newbies are super green and wouldn't have made it far and the tattoos would have been garbage for longer. I don't mind it actually, I like seeing the old losers come back and show if they've learned.

I think the fundamental issue is that if they have a ton of people in the competition at the same time, their entire formula gets hosed up. There were some seasons where they started with a shitload of contestants and there really wasn't any time for them to show and critique tattoos, which is sort of the entire point of the show. I also don't think it's that much of a leg up; the episodes that the returning veterans are getting to skip are early enough that people are getting the boot for having no idea how to apply a tattoo correctly.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah the canvases are brave or indifferent to their own body. I would never let some random unknown ink me during a competition where they are stressed out.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Which team do you think is going to get the canvas that either outright refuses the design or doesn't come back after the first sitting?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Even better:

bitchymcjones posted:

Which team do you think is going to get the canvases that either outright refuse the designs or don't come back after the first sitting?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
History seems to suggest it'll be Christian's team.

History also seems to suggest Black Cobra will be 3rd and then Bubba & DJ will squeak out the win from them.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Uuuugggggghhhhhhh I hate every live finale. Shut up, everyone. Especially Katie.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Based on the initial reaction, I thought Basilica was advancing for sure. The black and grey really could have gone either way. Nice of them to show the second piece of the eliminated team for once.

Is it me, or has Katie lost a noticeable amount of weight?

Speaking of ugh, Angels is either going to be refreshing or really bad. Not much of a reaction for them, especially Nikki.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah Katie has lost weight. I think that's why Dave keeps calling her stunning.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Season 10 premieres in January and is Ink Master: Return of the Masters, where former winners coach teams of new artists. They brought up Steve Teft and Anthony Michael, but it's unclear if those are the only two.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Bold move doing that dragon in the finale but it paid off. I personally didn't like either of Old Town's pieces but I'm not upset they won.

I hope season 10 is not just the two of them, it would be Peck vs Nunez all over again. Nice to see Anthony again though, I liked him.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I liked Black Cobra's final tattoos better but I'm still glad Old Town won. Katie definitely had the best live one.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

In both cases, Old Town did more and was more extensive, and their opponents had bigger, bolder colors. They also did two different themes compared to two birds from Black Cobra. Personally, I liked Old Town better, and man, did they earn that win, being the first veteran shop and going all the way.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Glad Old Town won. Thought their first piece, black and white, was pretty awesome with how big they went. The colored piece had to much going on for my eyes.

I didn't think Cobra's were bad but I don't they were anything special for a final.

Laughed Christian still didn't past 3rd place.

If I have this right, the Angels' show are going have local competitions to get on the next season, that has two previous winners coach? Depends on how much involved the coaches get in the season could be cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ink Master Angels looks good, looking forwards to seeing more of Kelly and Ryan.

bitchymcjones posted:

Katie definitely had the best live one.

I think it saved their rear end as well (until the final round of course) their B&W piece looked weird. The owl's head was too small.

I wonder if Cleen and Christian are going to hang up their Ink Master boots now or whether they'll have another crack at the title at some point down the road. :v:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm sure Christian will eventually get another chance because he's a producer's dream. He vocalizes/parrots every single dramatic talking point they could possibly want coverage of.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder if Cleen and Christian are going to hang up their Ink Master boots now or whether they'll have another crack at the title at some point down the road. :v:

They both become finalists and the judges for the first time Ink Master history declare a draw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The finale is my least favorite episode. That face tat was killer. All the other tattoos were cluttered and hard to read.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

My favorite part was Dave checking his watch every couple minutes

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
He kept squirming in his seat and fidgeting with his hair. He's usually very composed.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
How about that loving national anthem opener? Seriously...

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Weaponized Cum posted:

He did the same for a Bellator (MMA) PPV card a few weeks ago.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

How come even after 9 seasons the sound quality is still dog poo poo on every single live show?

I have to agree that the finales are always the worst episode. So much of their time is spent trying to talk over the crowd or waiting for them to shut up that even with the extended run-time they end up spending all of five minutes of their show about tattooing actually talking about tattoos.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Weaponized Cum posted:

gently caress, I missed it. I always fast forward until I see tattoos.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha just hire someone who loving knows how to do live shows it's embarrassing. I liked Old Town Ink and they did a good job the whole season.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The terrible production value of the live finale is the only reason I watch it instead of looking a the 'master canvases' online and seeing who won

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

This happened more than once last night-

Dave: step back
Contests: ????
Dave: step back
Contestants: ?????

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I did notice that not once did Oliver say anything was "jacked!" I wonder if they edited them out or if he was biting his tongue.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

wormil posted:

I did notice that not once did Oliver say anything was "jacked!" I wonder if they edited them out or if he was biting his tongue.

They always try to say nice things about everyone at the finale.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You might actually win a season if you quit acting like an rear end in a top hat Christian. You limp dick your way through the competition cause you're good and then nobody wants to vote for you.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

They always try to say nice things about everyone at the finale.

He was going after the face tat.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Other than Christian being an rear end in a top hat to everyone, the thing I don't like about him is every piece he gets to design on his own is biblical. BRANCH OUT.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, no thread for Angels?

Ryan is stunning as always, Kelly is still the best and Nikki still doesn't look 24.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'd be interested in seeing an Angels thread as well but I ain't going to make it. Anyone?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

So, no thread for Angels?

Ryan is stunning as always, Kelly is still the best and Nikki still doesn't look 24.

It's cool to watch Kelly again, but the competing artists were pretty mediocre.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep seeing Cleen rock one calling contestants gay in instagram comment sections and his buddy tells people to gently caress off if they give him even an inch of critique so he kinda went from one of my ink master favorites to the bottom.

Dude's a youtube comment section given artistic skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think it's hilarious that Kelly was one of the nicest contestants when she was competing but because she's more comfortable and better spoken on camera as a host she pretty much became the mean judge by default. :v: