Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

3peat posted:

I thought America would have something similar.
If we had regulation like that we wouldn't get sick deals like 44% off a permanently broken product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder what kind of paste it is. If it's non conductive iso might fix it.

Shame it's AM3

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to make it work, I think you could probably clean it out enough with Arctic Clean.

Yes, I know that Arctic Clean s basically Orange oil Goof-Off in one bottle, and 95% iso in the other, but I know that if I do wind up killing the board for good, it's not because of what I used.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Why the hell would they even accept that for a return?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Munkeymon posted:

I am sure the type of person who would put thermal paste in the socket is not above getting into a public screaming match with the manager of a microcenter and making a huge scene. Sometimes its easier to just get these people out of your store by placating them with another motherboard.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
I have a question regarding Threadripper. Looking at Puget System's benchmarks of Adobe and CAD suites, Intel's similarly priced 7900X typically matches or keeps up with the 1950X in multithreaded tasks but completely slaughters it when tasks are poorly threaded. Unfortunately, there isn't much to compare with as most reviewers don;t go much further then use Cinebench, don't test professional programs or don't really go into detail what they're actually testing.

Assuming Puget Systems' benchmarks are accurate, is there an actual use case for Threadripper if I don't need the ECC memory support or 64 PCIe lanes,

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

jeffreyw posted:

I have a question regarding Threadripper. Looking at Puget System's benchmarks of Adobe and CAD suites, Intel's similarly priced 7900X typically matches or keeps up with the 1950X in multithreaded tasks but completely slaughters it when tasks are poorly threaded. Unfortunately, there isn't much to compare with as most reviewers don;t go much further then use Cinebench, don't test professional programs or don't really go into detail what they're actually testing.

Assuming Puget Systems' benchmarks are accurate, is there an actual use case for Threadripper if I don't need the ECC memory support or 64 PCIe lanes,
you could just buy a 7700k

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

nerox posted:

I am sure the type of person who would put thermal paste in the socket is not above getting into a public screaming match with the manager of a microcenter and making a huge scene. Sometimes its easier to just get these people out of your store by placating them with another motherboard.
Or just lying and customer service not escalating it to someone who knows that motherboards don't generally look or smell like burnt mayonnaise.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

jeffreyw posted:

The 1950X beats the 7900X by a pretty good margin in tasks that scale really well with more cores, it all depends on what tasks and what software you're going to be using.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-1950X-and-1920X-Review/Media-Encoding-and-Rendering

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Arstechnicas take on the i9-7960X https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/intel-core-i9-7960x-review/2/

The i7-7960X @ 4.1Ghz default voltage pushes total system power to 687W, comparable 1950X @ 3.9Ghz is pulling 552W. the 7960X could go higher but it tries to bake itself first @ 4.1Ghz, so have fun delidding a 1700$ CPU to possibly eek out that extra 10% performance and 100W extra.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://my.mixtape.moe/ryneag.webm

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

https://videocardz.com/72934/rumor-amd-matisse-picasso-vega-20-and-ryzen-5-pro-mobile

If the slide is real, looks like Vega will be on the first Raven Ridge parts. Here's hoping that actually works, but a 4c8t part with 560-ish level graphics? I may have to find a way to foist the Dell 7567 I just ordered off onto someone, fast.

An alternative for ultrabooks, finally?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 26, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Surfacebook 2 when???

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
no one knows; microsoft has been real quiet about it

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If this pans out there wouldn't need for garbage tier discrete gpu that just never gets used with 2n1s. It's nice to have but windows rarely uses them intelligently.

And RR looks like the perfect use case.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 26, 2017

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Board: ASUS Prime X370-PRO
CPU: 1700X
RAM: 3600MHz

I updated the bios on the board because the system refused to have memory running above 3200MHz. After the BIOS update, I bumped the memory to 3333MHz and the system runs great! It's still not the full bottle yet, but we're gradually getting there! :)

Also, I had Win10 crashing randomly with a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE error/BSOD. Firefox also crashed occasionally. It didn't happen often, maybe once every other day, but it drove me up the walls. I then updated the drivers from the ASUS website - especially as I had installed rinky-dink beta drivers that came with the board on a DVD. We'll see how the system will behave in the long run, but so far so good. :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really, REALLY want to get a Ryzen or Threadripper system, but if v2 stuff is "just around the corner" I think I can wait.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Stanley Pain posted:

I really, REALLY want to get a Ryzen or Threadripper system, but if v2 stuff is "just around the corner" I think I can wait.

Yeah, you know what they say, "cutting edge is sharp, avoid contact" :) and I think I'd be better off with v2 stuff with the bugs ironed out, but I was really REALLY itching to get rid of my tired old FX rig :D

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i presume they've cleaned it out and it nominally works, right? since it's within spitting distance of full price i'd hope so. i could sell a motherboard with the useless little clip on the PCI slot broken off as 'damaged' but i could also melt some chips off with a hairdryer and say the same thing.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 26, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Yeah, you know what they say, "cutting edge is sharp, avoid contact" :) and I think I'd be better off with v2 stuff with the bugs ironed out, but I was really REALLY itching to get rid of my tired old FX rig :D

And here I thought I was being silly for upgrading from a 3770k :D

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Arstechnicas take on the i9-7960X https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/intel-core-i9-7960x-review/2/

The i7-7960X @ 4.1Ghz default voltage pushes total system power to 687W, comparable 1950X @ 3.9Ghz is pulling 552W. the 7960X could go higher but it tries to bake itself first @ 4.1Ghz, so have fun delidding a 1700$ CPU to possibly eek out that extra 10% performance and 100W extra.
gonna :laffo: fractally when someone gets around to delidding one of those NDA-afflicted xeons and finds paste instead of solder

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
AMD got a design win for the Atari console/linux HTPC box.

http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-look-ataribox-design-36241?e=04cad6848b

I'm wondering what the APU will be, but an I'm wondering, Steamroller had a GDDR5 IMC on it, did Excavator carry this over? It does have a DDR3 and DDR4 dual channel IMC, so at the least could they activate both and run dedicated memory to the CPU and GPU? If Excavator still has the GDDR5 relic, what's stopping it from running DDR4 and GDDR5?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the lovely dead corpse of atari just refuses to fall down from its prop I see.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Munkeymon posted:

Could be they just reported it didn't work, the return was accepted, and they then told the customer it's trash, now pay us $ for return shipping your impregnated board.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

drat it, when are zen+polaris laptop apus coming out

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Truga posted:

the lovely dead corpse of atari just refuses to fall down from its prop I see.

yeah, why doesn't the lovely dead company responsible for the golden age of arcade gaming just go away!!!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

yeah, why doesn't the lovely dead company responsible for the golden age of arcade gaming just go away!!!

that company has been dead for decades and the atari brand has been passed around like a ragdoll since then

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They are also most definitely not in a position to be developing games with their financials, much less selling game consoles. This is going to be ouya 2.0 at best.

e: literally why there even is a company called Atari right now lmao:

quote:

The Board agreed to change Infogrames Entertainment’s name to Atari. This decision will enable us to make the best use of the Atari brand, capitalizing on worldwide strong name recognition and affinity, which are keys drivers to implement the Company’s online, product and licensing strategies.[5]

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 26, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

drat it, when are zen+polaris laptop apus coming out

I literally JUST posted a leaked slide. Scroll up.

The answer is never. Zen + Polaris APUs never.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So I assume that their plan for APUs is using a single Ryzen die?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

single CCX, which is a good thing for inter-core as it basically means there's no longer any significant ram-related latency, the memory controller stops getting a hellfire workout and they can use the space savings for the GPU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Did some overclocking on my new 1600 today.

Seems like I can hit 3.8ghz at 1.325v (more like 1.31 in hwinfo). This is neither a great number, nor a terrible one. I passed 20 minutes of prime95, but I'll likely run it overnight to check for stability. Temps never went above 68C with a H80i v2.

I tried going for 3.9ghz, but the motherboard developed issues posting. Only 1/3 starts could get to Windows, so I figured 3.9 might be pushing it a bit too far. Then again, I think I've read about people who had trouble at 3.9 but at 4.0 could successfully boot. More testing needed.

I was also thinking that I might just aim to do 3.7ghz at some (hopefully much lower) voltage.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
12NM Zen refresh coming in 2018 Q1

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170927PD212.html ed: no https

AMD to launch 12nm Ryzen in February 2018, says mobo makers Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 27 September 2017]

AMD has informed its partners that it plans to launch in February 2018 an upgrade version of its Ryzen series processors built using a 12nm low-power (12LP) process at Globalfoundries, according to sources at motherboard makers.

The company will initially release the CPUs codenamed Pinnacle 7, followed by mid-range Pinnacle 5 and entry-level Pinnacle 3 processors in March 2018, the sources disclosed. AMD is also expected to see its share of the desktop CPU market return to 30% in the first half of 2018.

AMD will launch the low-power version of Pinnacle processors in April 2018 and the enterprise version Pinnacle Pro in May 2018.

Their corresponding chipsets, the 400 series, will also become available in March 2018 with X470- or B450-based motherboards to be the first to hit the store shelves. The chipsets are still designed by ASMedia and its orders for the chipsets are expected to grow dramatically starting January 2018.

Thanks to stable chip orders for Microsoft's and Sony's game consoles, increased demand for graphics cards, growing sales for its Ryzen 7/5 processors, new Ryzen Pro product line for the enterprise sector and the top-end Ryzen Treadripper processors, AMD managed to achieve 19% sequential growth in second-quarter 2017 revenues and expects the amount to grow further by 23% in the third quarter.
AMD said it does not comment on products that have not been announced.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 27, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bobfather posted:

Did some overclocking on my new 1600 today.

Seems like I can hit 3.8ghz at 1.325v (more like 1.31 in hwinfo). This is neither a great number, nor a terrible one. I passed 20 minutes of prime95, but I'll likely run it overnight to check for stability. Temps never went above 68C with a H80i v2.

I tried going for 3.9ghz, but the motherboard developed issues posting. Only 1/3 starts could get to Windows, so I figured 3.9 might be pushing it a bit too far. Then again, I think I've read about people who had trouble at 3.9 but at 4.0 could successfully boot. More testing needed.

I was also thinking that I might just aim to do 3.7ghz at some (hopefully much lower) voltage.

3.8@1.325 is also where my OC ended up. I hit 3.5 on stock voltage 3.7 took 1.285 or 1.29. Jumping over 3.6 is where you start having to volt pretty significantly. That said 1.35 is completely safe and 1.4 is where you start to hit the 'chip will degrade over time maybe probably' voltage. I haven't tried pushing beyond 3.8 because....meh is that extra 100 or 200 mhz going to be worth the effort? Granted bragging about 4.0 might be.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

...That's way earlier than expected considering that GF announced 12LP volume production starting sometime 1H2018.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Glofo 12nm isn't an actual node by the old definition, I don't think. Its a rebranding of their improved Samsung 14LPP, what they were calling "14+" in the earlier leaks/articles. The big move to the new Glofo 7nm is still a ways away.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/256213-amd-will-use-new-globalfoundries-12nm-node-future-cpus-gpus

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Hell, if they fix a few of the issues, decouple the Infinity Fabric from RAM speed and get the clocks up a touch, I don't care what they call it, it will be fantastic

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another AMD memory scaling test. Looks to be about a 5-10% bump in some stuff with faster memory.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11857/memory-scaling-on-ryzen-7-with-team-groups-night-hawk-rgb/

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

rex rabidorum vires posted:

3.8@1.325 is also where my OC ended up. I hit 3.5 on stock voltage 3.7 took 1.285 or 1.29. Jumping over 3.6 is where you start having to volt pretty significantly. That said 1.35 is completely safe and 1.4 is where you start to hit the 'chip will degrade over time maybe probably' voltage. I haven't tried pushing beyond 3.8 because....meh is that extra 100 or 200 mhz going to be worth the effort? Granted bragging about 4.0 might be.

As long as you're keeping it properly cooled there's nothing wrong with going right up to 1.45, only way you're going to see 3.9+

FWIW, people tell me I have a 'nice 1800X', it goes to 4075 @ 1.45, hits about 65C max

Looks like Corsair Link finally updated to remove the 20C temperature offset! No more staring at 82.2C wondering if it's really 62

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Risky Bisquick posted:

12NM Zen refresh coming in 2018 Q1

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170927PD212.html ed: no https

AMD to launch 12nm Ryzen in February 2018, says mobo makers Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 27 September 2017]

AMD has informed its partners that it plans to launch in February 2018 an upgrade version of its Ryzen series processors built using a 12nm low-power (12LP) process at Globalfoundries, according to sources at motherboard makers.

The company will initially release the CPUs codenamed Pinnacle 7, followed by mid-range Pinnacle 5 and entry-level Pinnacle 3 processors in March 2018, the sources disclosed. AMD is also expected to see its share of the desktop CPU market return to 30% in the first half of 2018.

AMD will launch the low-power version of Pinnacle processors in April 2018 and the enterprise version Pinnacle Pro in May 2018.

Their corresponding chipsets, the 400 series, will also become available in March 2018 with X470- or B450-based motherboards to be the first to hit the store shelves. The chipsets are still designed by ASMedia and its orders for the chipsets are expected to grow dramatically starting January 2018.

Thanks to stable chip orders for Microsoft's and Sony's game consoles, increased demand for graphics cards, growing sales for its Ryzen 7/5 processors, new Ryzen Pro product line for the enterprise sector and the top-end Ryzen Treadripper processors, AMD managed to achieve 19% sequential growth in second-quarter 2017 revenues and expects the amount to grow further by 23% in the third quarter.
AMD said it does not comment on products that have not been announced.

Holy poo poo, that's fast.