Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
>not farming PUBG crates for the past 2 months on steam to buy TWWH2 for cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

HannibalBarca posted:

>not farming PUBG crates for the past 2 months on steam to buy TWWH2 for cheap

but i've only owned pubg for 1 month :negative:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So are Lizardmen the only faction that starts with a regiments of renown analogue in the form of the blessed spawnings? Does that take the place of the skaven food mechanic and High Elf Influence as things that pop up for quest rewards?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DeathSandwich posted:

So are Lizardmen the only faction that starts with a regiments of renown analogue in the form of the blessed spawnings? Does that take the place of the skaven food mechanic and High Elf Influence as things that pop up for quest rewards?

Yes.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

DeathSandwich posted:

Yes. That, the geomantic web, the ability to go feral and the cold blooded regen skill are the unique lizardmen mechanics

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

ChickenWing posted:

What's the current best place to preorder TW:W2, based on a cost:not getting my CC stolen ratio.

CDKeys preorder got refunded due to their keys being region locked, wanna get my preload on tonight

I got it from here after looking around for the cheapest & safest place the other day. https://2game.com/total-war-warhammer-ii. There's a voucher too 'ISTHEREANYDEAL' to get a little bit more off. I checked and they're a verified sega partner so no cc stolen worries there. Why does time have to pass so slowly when you want to play something :ohdear:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

While not quite the same, with investment High Elves can get the best hero and lords in the game by spending intrigue.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

What's the current best place to preorder TW:W2, based on a cost:not getting my CC stolen ratio.

CDKeys preorder got refunded due to their keys being region locked, wanna get my preload on tonight

https://2game.com/total-war-warhammer-ii
Best price I could. I don't live in the UK but there was no problem buying the game in GBP. Try "ISTHEREANYDEAL" or "GAMESCOM" codes if they still work.

EDIT: Whoopsies quoted the wrong guy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sooo... any chance for an early unlock via VPN?

I can't get out of working for the next 4 days and I'll be going to straight to bed when I get home every night. :cry:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Hunt11 posted:

While not quite the same, with investment High Elves can get the best hero and lords in the game by spending intrigue.

Dark Elves also have a mechanic where they can name their generals something like xXDarkSwordKillerXx96 and then get a bonus to their skills, which suits them perfectly.

Skaven have a loyalty mechanic instead, which can cause your generals to rebel.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
According to Steam it unlocks at 6 in the morning for the UK. Very unusual time but if accurate I will take it, have a job interview in the morning but can let it unpack while I go to that then come home and play for ages after I'm done, hopefully I'll have a new job as well.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

thebardyspoon posted:

According to Steam it unlocks at 6 in the morning for the UK. Very unusual time but if accurate I will take it, have a job interview in the morning but can let it unpack while I go to that then come home and play for ages after I'm done, hopefully I'll have a new job as well.

CA have repeatedly said the actual unlock time is 8.30 AM in the UK and they've been right before when Steam has given contradictory information. Still pretty early in the morning.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

CA have repeatedly said the actual unlock time is 8.30 AM in the UK and they've been right before when Steam has given contradictory information. Still pretty early in the morning.

Ah OK, 8:30 is still a pretty odd time for a game to unlock but works just as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mukip posted:

Dark Elves also have a mechanic where they can name their generals something like xXDarkSwordKillerXx96 and then get a bonus to their skills, which suits them perfectly.

Dark Elves also have the loyalty mechanic FYI.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

I was more talking about the ability to grab elite units.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
There is nobody more elite than than xXDarkSwordKillerXx96. While you partied, he studied the blade.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
And now the hordes of Chaos are at the gates you come to him for help?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Dark Elf name list for that feature better be appropriately edgy.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
my favorite part of the dark elf naming mechanic is that one of the most aggressive-sounding names gives you a +gold to local cities skill

in games as in irl, the desk jockeys are always more highly decorated

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mukip posted:

There is nobody more elite than than xXDarkSwordKillerXx96. While you partied, he studied the blade.

pretty sure dark elves do a lot of partying

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mukip posted:

Tell me, what does an elven fedora look like ?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

pretty sure dark elves do a lot of partying

while you studied the partyblade, i studied the other, slightly less partyworthy blades

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Always thought Warhammer was lame until I played the Dwarfs and Greenskins in TW:W

Love the lines when you click on the units - even though they usually just yell out their own name

"IRRON BREAKERS"

"LONG BEARDS"

"DWARF WARRIORS"

"QUARRELERS"

"THUUUUNDERERS"

It's too bad dwarfs are bad in MP

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Spiky

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I got it from here after looking around for the cheapest & safest place the other day. https://2game.com/total-war-warhammer-ii. There's a voucher too 'ISTHEREANYDEAL' to get a little bit more off. I checked and they're a verified sega partner so no cc stolen worries there. Why does time have to pass so slowly when you want to play something :ohdear:

What the hell, it's 34 pounds but if i change to euros it becomes 50?

I want my 30 euro warhams :(

oswald ownenstein posted:

Always thought Warhammer was lame until I played the Dwarfs and Greenskins in TW:W

Love the lines when you click on the units - even though they usually just yell out their own name

"IRRON BREAKERS"

"LONG BEARDS"

"DWARF WARRIORS"

"QUARRELERS"

"THUUUUNDERERS"

It's too bad dwarfs are bad in MP

When the AI comes begging for a peace deal and the High King just goes all "I will hear you beg :smug:"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Despite the badlands being the literal goddamn worst, Dwarves are still by far my favourite faction

it's me, i'm the bad "bring max artillery, park on top of hill, wait" turtler

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Despite the badlands being the literal goddamn worst, Dwarves are still by far my favourite faction

it's me, i'm the bad "bring max artillery, park on top of hill, wait" turtler

the slooowly waddling a unit of thunderers around the battle line to flank and annihilate is also fun

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Mans posted:

What the hell, it's 34 pounds but if i change to euros it becomes 50?

I want my 30 euro warhams :(

When the AI comes begging for a peace deal and the High King just goes all "I will hear you beg :smug:"

Weird. Buying with gbp should work though since paypal will just convert it right?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The old thread had a ton of videos linked in the last few pages but none of them were this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHolirTf9CI

Dude from CA gave a talk about the Total Warhammer siege AI at last year's GDC. Video went up a few days ago.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Sprechensiesexy posted:

M'orathi

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Dark Elf player spotted.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress that poo poo. Skaven all the way way.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How to play Warhammer 2:

- Dinosaurs.
- See elf, murder elf.
- Kill as many rats as you do non-rats because friendly fire concerns are for elf-things.
- Make low effort posts about murdering elves.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The old thread had a ton of videos linked in the last few pages but none of them were this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHolirTf9CI

Dude from CA gave a talk about the Total Warhammer siege AI at last year's GDC. Video went up a few days ago.

Pretty sure they've done this same presentation before.

It's meaningless. It plays up the AI but it's poo poo garbage. I get that good AI is hard to make. I'm just saying it's still poo poo-rear end-garbage.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Grumio posted:

M'orathi

hahahha

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The AI or the presentation? The AI is certainly exploitable but I wouldn't say it's garbage, at least if you're playing the game normally.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Mukip posted:

The AI or the presentation? The AI is certainly exploitable but I wouldn't say it's garbage, at least if you're playing the game normally.

I like how people expect semi-sentient AI in a video game

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The campaign AI for the first game is bad, no question. Hopefully for this one it's better (their nightly practice of running games at super speed should hopefully help them design better campaign AI).

The battle AI is actually fairly decent at this point, but obviously it'll pale compared to a human because it can't do long term planning like we can. This also showcases more of the decision making process for the siege AI on a strategic level, not tactical.

It's interesting because Total Warhammer was literally the first game they applied these techniques to and that's why the historical AI is hot garbage. They literally were just asking what a unit was instead of what it could do, but for Warhammer they fixed that and the AI made smarter choices.

I haven't had a chance to watch the Q&A portion yet but he said the tick update is ten times a second and that during sieges the AI is constantly scanning the walls for new entry points. I wonder why not just have an event broadcast to the AI each time an entry point is created or destroyed. It seems like such a huge waste of resources to make constant checks on rare occurrences. Unless maybe that would screw up the search for ladder targets, but I can't imagine it would.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Total War AI is good, actually.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch the Q&A portion yet but he said the tick update is ten times a second and that during sieges the AI is constantly scanning the walls for new entry points. I wonder why not just have an event broadcast to the AI each time an entry point is created or destroyed. It seems like such a huge waste of resources to make constant checks on rare occurrences. Unless maybe that would screw up the search for ladder targets, but I can't imagine it would.

Because then you basically repeat the same problem again. The AI now needs to check the event stack ten ticks a second to see whether things have changed. Further every bit of code will have to have a routine to check whether it has created a new entry point for the AI or destroyed an entry point, creating dozens of little routines all over the code. Instead of having one Find_Entry code that you could debug in an unit test, you'd have to track down exactly which code is failing to update the entry list, which is being managed by a different team entirely. It's a huge pain in the arse.

quote:

They literally were just asking what a unit was instead of what it could do, but for Warhammer they fixed that and the AI made smarter choices.
It doesn't really make a difference until you had units with very different capabilities that were ostensibly the same type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
He seemed to lay a bit of fault with that at why the historical game sieges were poorly handled by the AI. The majority, however, was due to them introducing the 'reserves' idea and the ability to retask units.

But that does make sense, instead of having to check each function you just have a constant scan for a simple flag/score.