Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

0% surprised. The producers clearly loved their showmance enough to protect them entirely from their terrible behavior and beliefs, to feed into their production manipulation on a level I've never seen before and essentially rewrite the rules to handcuff other players to benefit them, and to hilariosly by the end of start editing Cody out of the fights he was starting to air them with everyone else. Its the grossest bit of production favoritism I've seen since I've been a feed watcher and was somehow worse than Paul's favoritism that seemed to largely get used up once the show realized it wasn't going over well.

From Jody's perspective Jess is desperate to be a star and Cody actively was asking for this because he wants to play the game where he doesn't have to cooperate with other people (although my limited understanding of Amazing Race suggests his personality should be a handicap there too). And Cody seemed uncertain of how he fit in Jess' life and was actively fantasizing about just following her around and doing reality show stuff. I actually think Cody secretly longs to be a reality TV star despite his assertions otherwise.

From a really cynical perspective its the best chance to prolong Jody's showmance by keeping it a showmance and not letting them go back to the real world and deal with the difficulties of a real relationship. If they can pull out a year I 100% expect them to be showing up in some capacity next season unless one of them has some kind of social media meltdown. At worst I'm guessing they get the Caleb treatment and rehabbed on non-live shows they can control. About time for Survivor to do another Blood vs Water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Are we sure this season of Amazing Race will ever even make it to air?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Fairly sure Cody will end up in a foreign jail and only released after presidential intervention.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
On the one hand, I eagerly await watching Cody scream bloody murder at Jessica for failing to complete some menial task like building a wooden bicycle using bamboo. And then calling her a beta to the camera behind her back.

On the other hand, I'm not really looking forward to all you salty betas then reflexively patting each other on the back saying "I KNEW he would go full Hitler, as he is the literal antichrist."

On the final hand, maybe Jody will be the couple to put the final nail in TAR's waterlogged coffin.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

STAC Goat posted:

0% surprised. The producers clearly loved their showmance enough to protect them entirely from their terrible behavior and beliefs, to feed into their production manipulation on a level I've never seen before and essentially rewrite the rules to handcuff other players to benefit them, and to hilariosly by the end of start editing Cody out of the fights he was starting to air them with everyone else. Its the grossest bit of production favoritism I've seen since I've been a feed watcher and was somehow worse than Paul's favoritism that seemed to largely get used up once the show realized it wasn't going over well.

From Jody's perspective Jess is desperate to be a star and Cody actively was asking for this because he wants to play the game where he doesn't have to cooperate with other people (although my limited understanding of Amazing Race suggests his personality should be a handicap there too). And Cody seemed uncertain of how he fit in Jess' life and was actively fantasizing about just following her around and doing reality show stuff. I actually think Cody secretly longs to be a reality TV star despite his assertions otherwise.

From a really cynical perspective its the best chance to prolong Jody's showmance by keeping it a showmance and not letting them go back to the real world and deal with the difficulties of a real relationship. If they can pull out a year I 100% expect them to be showing up in some capacity next season unless one of them has some kind of social media meltdown. At worst I'm guessing they get the Caleb treatment and rehabbed on non-live shows they can control. About time for Survivor to do another Blood vs Water.

It also allows alpha Cody to continue to be unemployed for another several months.

But yeah, If Cody thinks TAR will somehow be magically better than BB, he's in for a rude awakening. The game isn't remotely isolationist (there is a lot of sharing space with other teams), and there is actually a social layer built into the game now via PVP punishments (as opposed to the earliest seasons.)

I also look forward to not watching that season because gently caress Jody and gently caress production for shoving them down our throats. I'll read and watch highlights.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol I am so here for Jody getting U Turned

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Get ready for some super-salt when they get inevitably U-Turned.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I had the horrible thought that they would cast a weak cast around them to give them the most possible air time. Don't say it wouldn't be done either because they literally built this season of BB around Paul even though it backfired hilariously in the end (but they got two new darlings so win win.)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Can we get a briefing on what U-Turned means?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

^burtle posted:

Can we get a briefing on what U-Turned means?

In Amazing Race you have teams competing but there aren't a whole lot of ways to help or punish other teams. You can work with them and help them but that may mean you hurt yourself in the end. But a few times a season you get U-turns, which means that when there is a "do this or that" choice challenge, the team that arrives at it first can select another team and force them to do both options, slowing them down and sometimes dooming them to finish last.

In a heavily edited show, you sort of find out which teams are viewed as the biggest threat or biggest jerks that way.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also working with other teams can be HUGE in some cases. So if they are really going to be antisocial then lol.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BonoMan posted:

Fairly sure Cody will end up in a foreign jail and only released after presidential intervention.

I'm surprised CBS think its a good idea to send an unstable lunatic on a challenging trip around the world. The biggest factor teams have to deal with is frustration, and putting Cody in a situation where him and Jessica face elimination because their cabdriver screwed them is asking for trouble. I'm guessing they are betting on a neutered Cody showing up for the race after he comes to terms with life outside of his comfort zone, which will be needed to continue dating Jessica, because i don't see her giving up being a "VIP concierge" to waitress at the diner wherever Cody lives.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah seriously. TAR is basically the one show that takes your fate out of your hands WAY more than Big Brother. Airport and Taxi RNG is a real thing that has completely hosed people over and sent people home.

I wonder how many times Jody just happen to be saved by non-elimination legs :allears:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I found out that The Amazing Race was starting here in NYC, so I went to watch the start of the race. Jessica must have been able to tell I wasn't a fan because she glared at me for like 30 seconds until I felt it was getting awkward and pulled out my phone to look away. Cody was pretty much the same as he appeared on TV. He barely clapped along or had any reaction to most of the lines that were cues for the cast to get hyped. There were a ton of Jody fans present, and Cody eventually he gave in and took a selfie with a couple of teen fan girls which was his was one moment of normalcy. Not much changed from Big Brother with Jody not really bothering to socialize with any of the other teams. They are up against a fairly competitive cast, with a lot of physically strong competitors - so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go home early.

The teams for those interested:
Team Chomp (Joey Chestnut and another competitive eater)
Team Boxing Ring Girls/Instagram Models
Team Twins (Identical twin brothers who are both firefighters and Iraq war veterans)
Team Winter X-Games (I didn't catch their names, but it was two women who won a bunch of medals at the X-Games)
Team Yale Debaters (The two college aged kids are the probably the weakest physical competitors this season)
Team Goat Yoga (Two moms who do Goat Yoga - don't ask)
Team Lifeguard (A couple who are both lifeguards in Miami - they compete in lifeguard competitions and have 1,500 saves between them)
Team NBA All Stars
Team Speed (coined by Phil - Alexander Rossi and Conor Daly)
Team Buff Violinists (They are from some popular string quartet, but are huge and ripped like professional athletes)
Team Jody

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Big Brother Celebrity Edition starts February 7th, will run against the Olympics until February 25th, four days a week. Looks like 13 episodes total, a couple of those being two hours.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/cbs-sla...tes-1202218252/

Wednesday, Feb. 7
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER (Celebrity Edition Premiere)

Thursday, Feb. 8
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Friday, Feb. 9
8-10 PM — BIG BROTHER (2-Hour Episode)

Sunday, Feb. 11
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Monday, Feb. 12
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Wednesday, Feb. 14
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Friday, Feb. 16

Sunday, Feb. 18
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Monday, Feb. 19
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Wednesday, Feb. 21
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Friday, Feb. 23

Saturday, Feb. 24
8-9 PM — BIG BROTHER

Sunday, Feb. 25
8-10 PM — BIG BROTHER (Celebrity Edition Finale)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Teek posted:

Big Brother Celebrity Edition starts February 7th, will run against the Olympics

HAHAHAHA!

I can't speak for anyone else but for me that's pretty much the worst case of missing a window where there's nothing I can mindlessly half watch in the background while I do other stuff. If I had any doubt I wasn't watching this (a little) that was it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It also guarantees the cast will be abysmal. This is a complete filler show, not an actual attempt at scheduling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I've kind of assumed all along that its just a cheap thing to throw on All Access during a window where they don't have Big Brother, Star Trek, Good Wife, or whatever else to sell as exclusive content. Like they just want something to make it look worthwhile and this is the low effort option.

I'm just saying, I'll be busy rediscovering my every four years love of curling.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I had an ounce of hope that this might have been a some what serious attempt at winter programming, but I guess that is settled now.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Supposedly some former Bog Brother people are going to be on the next season MTV’s The Challenge, which recently let an abject drunk rat call a black cast mate the N word, stay on the show, and win $450k. Standard reality TV stuff.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

These threads show me how trashy BB is

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

the truth posted:

Bog Brother

Is this a typo, or is it a term I don't remember for Big Brother contestants? Google search results inconclusive but I did learn about some French twin celebrities. Thank you.

And I might watch the winter BB depending on who is or is not playing. At least the first episode. Not sure if thirteen without STAC are too many.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Casting rumors for this are pretty dire. There's Sami from Jersey Shore, Blac Chyna (Rob Kardashian's baby's mom), and Stephanie Pratt (Spencer Pratt's sister, CBBUK alum). They're hopefully untrue rumors because of how little casting info has been leaked so far.

One advantage I see to this format is that they're gonna have to do multiple evictions per week, so hopefully the game moves quickly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If it isn't them it will be people like them because I can't remember a celebrity reality show in the last 15+ years that didn't pull from similar pools of people. Especially things like this where they are going to be locked into taping for a few weeks. If they were getting someone super interesting, they'd be hyping it up by now.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, reaching for Dancing With The Stars-type "caliber" might even be difficult. As long as there's some kind of decent gameplay, I'll be watching.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Throw in Mr Pectacular and Austin and have them run rough shod over the faux celeb wannabes.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's going to be like the UK CBB where there's one recognizable household name and the rest are reality show sloppy seconds. And with only 18 days it's got to be a small cast.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I still don't really get how the show is going to work, because if they are playing for charity then it's going to be really awkward seeing people get lied to and screwed over when they're playing for children with cancer or whatever. I assumed they were going to change the format of the show, but I think they've already said in interviews that it's going to be the same gameplay stucture as the main show so :confused:.

The nature of the show is also going to make it hard to advertise any big name celebrities beforehand, since if the cast is well-known before they enter the house they'll just form a big boring pre-game alliance which could ruin the show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I still don't really get how the show is going to work, because if they are playing for charity then it's going to be really awkward seeing people get lied to and screwed over when they're playing for children with cancer or whatever. I assumed they were going to change the format of the show, but I think they've already said in interviews that it's going to be the same gameplay stucture as the main show so :confused:.

The nature of the show is also going to make it hard to advertise any big name celebrities beforehand, since if the cast is well-known before they enter the house they'll just form a big boring pre-game alliance which could ruin the show.

They already probably know who is on the short list via their agents. The casting process isn't normal for this. It is practically reversed.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Yer Burnt posted:

Casting rumors for this are pretty dire. There's Sami from Jersey Shore, Blac Chyna (Rob Kardashian's baby's mom), and Stephanie Pratt (Spencer Pratt's sister, CBBUK alum). They're hopefully untrue rumors because of how little casting info has been leaked so far.

One advantage I see to this format is that they're gonna have to do multiple evictions per week, so hopefully the game moves quickly.

Blac Chyna is too good for this show

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

:lol: at Stephanie Pratt, not even Heidi or Spencer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Natalie and Victor are going to be on the next season of The Challenge on MTV

• Locked thread