Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

This game gets so good <15 players when everybody scrambles to build their tower. I got lucky and was able to build right in the middle of the next two circles.

bug chaser chaser fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I loving hate PvP. If it works for you guys, great I guess.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I have no interest in not-pubg and I like the regular game but I'm glad people are enjoying it because maybe they'll want to relax and shoot some zambos later.

Also apparently the pubg man is mad at Epic for this existing now lmao.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

From what I read, bluehole are upset because they hired epic to make modifications to the unreal engine for pubg which they then turned around and used to develop a very similar competing product. They aren't upset about pubg clones.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Bakalakadaka posted:

I have no interest in not-pubg and I like the regular game but I'm glad people are enjoying it because maybe they'll want to relax and shoot some zambos later.

Also apparently the pubg man is mad at Epic for this existing now lmao.

Make the Zambo shooting good and I will join you

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I loving hate PvP. If it works for you guys, great I guess.

Cool thanks!

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Wait, can you seriously not change what shoulder you aim over? I mean, the game is fun enough for a free title, but come on, that's some basic poo poo.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Jedrick posted:

Wait, can you seriously not change what shoulder you aim over? I mean, the game is fun enough for a free title, but come on, that's some basic poo poo.

Not a lot of games let you do that, at least not through standard settings.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like how there's a 15 minute queue to get past the launcher but then in game the matchmaking server is down but I'm watching streamers queue in game after game.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I love how the PVP addon they said wouldn't influence the PVE side of things that everyone bought into has now made queue's for the PvE side because too many people are playing PvP.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I like how there's a 15 minute queue to get past the launcher but then in game the matchmaking server is down but I'm watching streamers queue in game after game.

Yeah what the gently caress is up with the 15 minute queue just to launch the game???

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

This one is for all my homies stuck in queues: http://www.leagueofpirates.com/sirvival/queuedance.html

Also it's way louder than i remember

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm streaming! Come watch for 15 minutes while you log in.

https://www.twitch.tv/agoat

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are all battleground games this loving boring? Every match is "run around for 15 minutes doing nothing and get one shot from someone you never see"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Are all battleground games this loving boring? Every match is "run around for 15 minutes doing nothing and get one shot from someone you never see"

I mean, that's the specific genre that is currently booming...

I'm trash at it.

What I don't understand is the 1:30 warmup time where you can't really do anything. I assume it's just there to hide a longer load time.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

I mean, that's the specific genre that is currently booming...

I'm trash at it.

What I don't understand is the 1:30 warmup time where you can't really do anything. I assume it's just there to hide a longer load time.

It's there to fill the 100 person player pool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

It's there to fill the 100 person player pool.

But before I even get to that screen, I see things like "121 players in server"

And I had to wait 10 minutes to login. So like, are there, or aren't there, a ton of people waiting to play this game? Why does the wait time have to be arbitrarily 1:20 and not like, when we get 100 people?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The wait time for the game to just start is pretty annoying. Almost all my games get to 100 players ready with a minute to go.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

But before I even get to that screen, I see things like "121 players in server"

And I had to wait 10 minutes to login. So like, are there, or aren't there, a ton of people waiting to play this game? Why does the wait time have to be arbitrarily 1:20 and not like, when we get 100 people?

The "121 players in server" you see at the party screen is how many people are currently queueing into matchmaking.

Sure, the wait time on spawn island is probably arbitrary but it's there and isn't a big deal. It's a good safety net for when people leave the lobby for whatever reason they leave.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, if it's really just because it's using that time to load the whole map, I can't complain too much. But if it's really just an arbitrary delay, it's really annoying.

edit: ^ do I need to queue for 10 minutes because there are less than 200 people waiting to get into a server? These things don't line up.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Like, if it's really just because it's using that time to load the whole map, I can't complain too much. But if it's really just an arbitrary delay, it's really annoying.

edit: ^ do I need to queue for 10 minutes because there are less than 200 people waiting to get into a server? These things don't line up.

What 10 minute queue are you seeing? I just played for about 3 hours and got into games instantly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

What 10 minute queue are you seeing? I just played for about 3 hours and got into games instantly.

To log in to the game I had a queue. Once I was logged in, everything was normal.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

To log in to the game I had a queue. Once I was logged in, everything was normal.

I don't know how to explain this without sounding like an rear end.

Lots of game companies have queues when their servers are under unexpected heavy load. Hell, it even happens when they expect it because companies aren't going to buy more servers in the short term for the launch than they will actually need for the long term life of the game.

The queue once you're in the party lobby has nothing to do with the queue you had to get in the actual game. They can only handle so many connections to the overall system at a time. Once you're in the game, you're in a rotating queue for a bank of servers they have allotted for BR mode.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone on PS4, I'll play pvp with you. Just started trying it out so I am bad.

BostonZombie is my PSN. I assume theirs not a PSN for this yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

I don't know how to explain this without sounding like an rear end.

Lots of game companies have queues when their servers are under unexpected heavy load. Hell, it even happens when they expect it because companies aren't going to buy more servers in the short term for the launch than they will actually need for the long term life of the game.

The queue once you're in the party lobby has nothing to do with the queue you had to get in the actual game. They can only handle so many connections to the overall system at a time. Once you're in the game, you're in a rotating queue for a bank of servers they have allotted for BR mode.

No, that makes sense. But if there are so many people playing, and each lobby has 100 people in right away, why do those 100 people have to gently caress around for 1:20 before we get to start the game?

Like, I feel like I know what's going on, I just don't understand why the wait time is exactly the same every time unless it's arbitrary. In which case, my complaint is the arbitrary wait time.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Snak posted:

No, that makes sense. But if there are so many people playing, and each lobby has 100 people in right away, why do those 100 people have to gently caress around for 1:20 before we get to start the game?

Like, I feel like I know what's going on, I just don't understand why the wait time is exactly the same every time unless it's arbitrary. In which case, my complaint is the arbitrary wait time.

Probably because they didn't know for sure the Battle Royale mode would be so popular, and implementing a fixed timer is much easier for everyone involved (developers & players). It's predictable. Maybe they'll release a patch that lowers it in the future. They had to pick SOME number, and 90 seconds does not seem like a bad place to start.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

It might be arbitrary, it might not be. I find it annoying as well, but I just alt tab and find something to do.

Skandranon posted:

Probably because they didn't know for sure the Battle Royale mode would be so popular, and implementing a fixed timer is much easier for everyone involved (developers & players). It's predictable. Maybe they'll release a patch that lowers it in the future. They had to pick SOME number, and 90 seconds does not seem like a bad place to start.

PUBG also has a one minute wait time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Why did they have to pick some number? Why is there a wait at the join server stage and again after you've joined a server?

Skandranon posted:

Why is that easier than "if (connected_players == 100){launch_game}

Skandranon posted:

PUBG also has a one minute wait time.

I suspect this is the real reason why it's considered acceptable.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 28, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ok I figured out how this game can be fun. You just jump immediately and land in a populated zone so you can get straight to the action and not run around wanking your dick in the open breeze for 15 minutes hoping you see someone before they see you. The problem with this strategy is that you die early and have to sit in a long rear end lobby again frequently. Maybe I just don't get this mode but drat if it isn't dull as hell. After watching PUBG streams I thought maybe playing a battleground map would be more fun but nope, it really is that drat boring.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
pretty dumb how rare sniper rifles are in this game. It seems like I get one to drop maybe every 5 matches. why are there no white or green sniper rifles?

also the AR's are so inaccurate its not even funny, I just lost with 3 people alive because of the retardedly high bloom, I was aiming literally right at him from like 15 Ft away and couldn't hit him. Snipers, the scoped AR, and shotguns are the only guns worth a drat it seems, and snipers never loving drop

I just want to win drat it, I'm coming so close but every time die to some bullshit

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Why did they have to pick some number? Why is there a wait at the join server stage and again after you've joined a server?

Why is that easier than "if (connected_players == 100){launch_game}

I suspect this is the real reason why it's considered acceptable.

H1Z1 also has a minute long lobby. There's probably a very good reason that isn't immediately obvious. One reason I can think of immediately is that it keeps people from getting hosed by the lobby. If I join and I'm the 1st person, I'm going to get a drink or chill. If I'm the 100th person, I'm immediately on the bus. You don't know which one is going to happen until AFTER you join and that's not good at all.

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok I figured out how this game can be fun. You just jump immediately and land in a populated zone so you can get straight to the action and not run around wanking your dick in the open breeze for 15 minutes hoping you see someone before they see you. The problem with this strategy is that you die early and have to sit in a long rear end lobby again frequently. Maybe I just don't get this mode but drat if it isn't dull as hell. After watching PUBG streams I thought maybe playing a battleground map would be more fun but nope, it really is that drat boring.

Maybe the game isn't for you then. No big deal.

zeldadude posted:

pretty dumb how rare sniper rifles are in this game. It seems like I get one to drop maybe every 5 matches. why are there no white or green sniper rifles?

also the AR's are so inaccurate its not even funny, I just lost with 3 people alive because of the retardedly high bloom, I was aiming literally right at him from like 15 Ft away and couldn't hit him. Snipers, the scoped AR, and shotguns are the only guns worth a drat it seems, and snipers never loving drop

I just want to win drat it, I'm coming so close but every time die to some bullshit

I find some sort of sniper rifle in almost every match I've played. Might be pure luck. Who knows.

I will agree that the ARs blow. The burst AR is growing on me though and the scar is more accurate than the "M16"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

H1Z1 also has a minute long lobby. There's probably a very good reason that isn't immediately obvious. One reason I can think of immediately is that it keeps people from getting hosed by the lobby. If I join and I'm the 1st person, I'm going to get a drink or chill. If I'm the 100th person, I'm immediately on the bus. You don't know which one is going to happen until AFTER you join and that's not good at all.

I don't understand this idea at all. I click a button that says "play the game" and it tells me it's trying it's best and connecting, and I connect. Then I wait again, for an arbitrary amount of time. I've been ready since I clicked the first button. Literally every other multiplayer game works this way....

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Pissed me off with the log on timer since all I wanted to do was collect my points and dailies before I left for work but didn't have 15 minutes to spare for the 30 seconds I needed in game.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

I don't understand this idea at all. I click a button that says "play the game" and it tells me it's trying it's best and connecting, and I connect. Then I wait again, for an arbitrary amount of time. I've been ready since I clicked the first button. Literally every other multiplayer game works this way....

A cursory google search seems to show that the lobby is for people to have time to load the game. Also, you're missing a very key point.

If you're the first person and you click play what happens? Do you go to spawn island? If you do, are you going to get annoyed at that?

The more than likely arbitrary wait time is for probably for consistency. Overwatch has a "setup" time that probably needs to be a 1/3rd of what it actually is. In the grand scheme of the game, it's a pretty tiny thing to get worked up about.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 28, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

A cursory google search seems to show that the lobby is for people to have time to load the game. Also, you're missing a very key point.

If you're the first person and you click play what happens? Do you go to spawn island? If you do, are you going to get annoyed at that?

I already wait after I click play. I click play and it says "finding server" and presumably, the game is doing some sort of algorithm to group players together who have low lag local to eachother and then put them in a game together. And it even gives me an estimated countdown of how long this will take. And then it does. And i go a waiting lobby with 98-100 people in it. And then we gently caress around for a minute and a half. I understand the limitations of matchmaking. I'm saying, those seem to be covered in the server conncetion process. The game is already collecting queuing players and putting them in a server. Because the lobby is always full. Why do we wait in it?

edit: Overwatch has respawns, you don't encounter this delay every time you die. How is this even comparable? We're talking about a game that lasts between 30 seconds and 15 minutes. Why shouldn't it have minimized wait times?

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 28, 2017

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

I already wait after I click play. I click play and it says "finding server" and presumably, the game is doing some sort of algorithm to group players together who have low lag local to eachother and then put them in a game together. And it even gives me an estimated countdown of how long this will take. And then it does. And i go a waiting lobby with 98-100 people in it. And then we gently caress around for a minute and a half. I understand the limitations of matchmaking. I'm saying, those seem to be covered in the server conncetion process. The game is already collecting queuing players and putting them in a server. Because the lobby is always full. Why do we wait in it?

edit: Overwatch has respawns, you don't encounter this delay every time you die. How is this even comparable? We're talking about a game that lasts between 30 seconds and 15 minutes. Why shouldn't it have minimized wait times?

I don't know what to tell you. The wait time is there. I'm not saying the reasons I've given are valid reasons, but they are possible reasons. Get frustrated or don't. Game is still good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And that's all I'm saying. I'm frustrated with the wait time. It's not a value judgement on the game as a whole, it's just a thing I'm unhappy about.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Because games on PC especially have to be made with the lowest common denominator in mind. There may be some guy whose potato PC takes over a minute just to load into the waiting lobby, for him, he only has a 20 second wait.

Don't get mad at the game, this has been a standard feature in games of this type since the genre has existed. In fact features like this are a staple of all PC game designs that feature any kind of multiplayer.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think the Fortnite-PUBG will be improved if they add new dances, and make so the character can walk/run while dancing and the hitbox changed realistically while the character dance.

This will make it the best game ever, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I should clarify that I'm playing this on ps4. It's probably why I've never encountered this type of feature before.

• Locked thread