Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Now that I'm in the PNW I no longer have access to deep fried deer sausage :saddowns:

Guess I'll have to try making it myself one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

There used to be a food truck near me in Austin that made boudain balls: deep-fried balls of boudain and crawfish. That food truck is gone now.

Can I get a boudain ball recipe in this thread?

If you ever make it down to Houston, stop in at Hebert's Specialty Meats. There are 2 locations, the boudin available from them is stellar.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kloa posted:

Unfortunately this is the truth for boudain :smith:
You are mixing up boudin with Anthony Bourdain.

Its a French word so "in" is pronounced "aanhh" with the n being largely silent. Pinch your nose and say "in" a few times to hear the a that is not in the spelling.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Huh, pretty sure I've seen it spelt both ways in stores or on menus. Should've learned French and not Spanish :argh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's a masculine/feminine thing where in French if there's no e on the end, it's probably a masculine version of a name or noun and if it does have an e in it's a feminine and you say the consonants.

That's why you can have Michel or Michelle or Dominic and Dominique.

Even with the a it ought to have a silent n.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

kloa posted:

Huh, pretty sure I've seen it spelt both ways in stores or on menus. Should've learned French and not Spanish :argh:

quote:

“Boudain” is the frequently used Texas spelling for “boudin,” a spicy Cajun sausage popular in Louisiana. The spelling has an established history in Cajun East Texas. Popick includes citations from the Port Arthur News going back as far as 1965.
https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2013/8/23/boudin-or-boudain-august-2013

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Christ those are some good looking boud[a]in balls. Need to make my way over there soon, once I confirm they weren't flooded out by Harvey.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I grew up in Southwest Louisiana (20 minutes from the Tejas border), so it all makes sense now.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I watched a recent episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern he was in Louisiana. He was with this legendary old lady cook. She roasted her okra in the oven before using it in the gumbo. Anybody ever try a technique like that? My gumbo is probably the highest effort thing I make and it would definitely add a step, would have to be really good.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Being in Oregon I've only ever seen the French stuff Boudin Blanc. It's a rabbit and rice sausage, if I recall correctly it has poultry or pork too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Comb Your Beard posted:

I watched a recent episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern he was in Louisiana. He was with this legendary old lady cook. She roasted her okra in the oven before using it in the gumbo. Anybody ever try a technique like that? My gumbo is probably the highest effort thing I make and it would definitely add a step, would have to be really good.

Probably a great way to feature okra if you or someone you're serving hates the slimey aspect of it - but that's a lot more heat in my kitchen in an already long and hot process.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Speaking of okra, I sure do miss fried okra from Church's Chicken.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sauté the okra beforehand and it burns off much of the slime. Though I have had coonasses tell me the slime is what they expect and otherwise it ain't gumbo (they dumb).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sauté the okra beforehand and it burns off much of the slime. Though I have had coonasses tell me the slime is what they expect and otherwise it ain't gumbo (they dumb).

One of my friends mom would stew the okra in some chopped tomato beforehand as she said it would cut down the slime. I didn't really think it did a whole lot and after a few times making it that way stopped doing it. But, I never really notice the okra slime all that much or I guess I don't put so much okra in mine that it even matters.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

That Works posted:

One of my friends mom would stew the okra in some chopped tomato beforehand as she said it would cut down the slime. I didn't really think it did a whole lot and after a few times making it that way stopped doing it. But, I never really notice the okra slime all that much or I guess I don't put so much okra in mine that it even matters.

I never notice the slime in my gumbo either by the time I'm done with it. Roasting probably adds a flavor dimension, but grilling it would add more. Honestly, if it bothers you that much, leave it out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saints are on today. Pregame festivities.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

Saints are on today. Pregame festivities.

Looks way more appealing than the Saints.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
They'll look the same in about 24 hours.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

:thurman:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Nice

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doom Rooster posted:

:golfclap:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Got the urge for breakfast boudin while on the road yesterday morning, coming home from working at a camp.

Crawfish pie and boudin balls. The other boys had boudin links, pies, boiled peanuts and cracklins.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Got the urge for breakfast boudin while on the road yesterday morning, coming home from working at a camp.

Crawfish pie and boudin balls. The other boys had boudin links, pies, boiled peanuts and cracklins.

Want to go there real bad

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sastified with the result.

dat is the stuff.
I've made a couple of gumbos and jambalaya over our winter, but it's spring now (still cold and rainy). gimme you best ideas and I'll cook it once more until I've got to hang my pot and brew, still, tools and everything else I own up and chuck my furniture in the trash.
One more, big time cajun/southern, creole out with a bang. What should I make? Doing Jamaican jerk chicken tomorrow but after that the calendar is empty for 3 weeks, but not sure if eating much after next week, more like selling or tossing stuff

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 21, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shrimp etouffée.

Light roux.

Add trinity.

Some herbs.

Add shrimp stock.

A little butter to lightly sauté the shrimp.

Add the shrimp.

Done.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Shrimp etouffée.

Looks like the right amount of butter to me :yum:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Shrimp etouffée.

Light roux.

Add trinity.

Some herbs.

Add shrimp stock.

Add the shrimp.

Done.

:perfect:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

kloa posted:

Looks like the right amount of butter to me :yum:

The recipe actually calls for two sticks...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Shrimp etouffée.

Light roux.

Add trinity.

Some herbs.

Add shrimp stock.

Add the shrimp.

Done.

This looks loving delicious!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phil Moscowitz posted:

\|

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Klyith posted:

\|

Correct. When I first made it years ago I followed the recipe, and the thing had pools of butter floating on the surface that didn't "combine" with the sauce no matter how much shaking and mixing I did.

One stick is plenty.

Also I use my own seasoning, cut the stock when using shrimp to account for much more moisture in the shrimp, put the stock into the roux and not vice-versa, and I don't measure poo poo out as precisely as the recipe (1/4 cup chopped bell pepper... wat?). The recipe is weird.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 25, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you see a later recipe where he used apple juice?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I;m going to NOLA January 5,6,7,8 and need to start preparing the list of food to eat:

I've only been once and got to eat a bunch of crawfish and some beignets, I know there is so much more to experience

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wife and I are doing Nola for about 4 days you guys have any restaurant recommendations?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Wife and I are doing Nola for about 4 days you guys have any restaurant recommendations?

goodness posted:

I;m going to NOLA January 5,6,7,8 and need to start preparing the list of food to eat:

I've only been once and got to eat a bunch of crawfish and some beignets, I know there is so much more to experience

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&userid=110909#post442470036

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post442432252

1st post is probably best one from Phil, it's more current good / modern restaurants. Second one covers some more of the older known stuff around there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I dunno about what places to go, but as for things to eat definitely get Barbecue Shrimp. It's got nothing to do with what the rest of the country calls "barbecue", but it's admn good and they bring you a bib before you dig in.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&userid=110909#post442470036

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post442432252

1st post is probably best one from Phil, it's more current good / modern restaurants. Second one covers some more of the older known stuff around there.

Here's a recent list I posted in the Louisiana thread. I can give more info on any of these if you want.

Those are good, especially Bayona. My recommendations are mostly not going to be the traditional, standby Cajun/creole queen restaurants (Mother's, Commanders Palace, Maspero, Tujagues, Pascal Manale, Clancy's, Antoine's, Galatoire's, etc.) or French Quarter places. But if you want those just ask.

Also in the CBD/Warehouse District:

Cochon/Cochon Butcher
Herbsaint
Meril
Pêche
Compère Lapin

Jacques-Imos is a haul from where you are. Are you cool with getting an Uber to go Uptown or to the Bywater? If so:

Bywater:
Paladar 511
Elizabeth's (breakfast/brunch)
Bacchanal
Red's Chinese

Uptown/Garden District:
Shaya
High Hat
Ancora
Kenton's
La Petite Grocery
Turkey and the Wolf

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Visiting New Orleans tomorrow for about four days, thanks for the restaurant recommendations! We are five mid-to-late-20s people and we're staying in an AirBnB just south of I-10 and Esplanade Ave in (this area seemed safe enough, though not super touristy, is that right?). We'll probably take Ubers or equivalent so we're fairly mobile.

We have reservations for Cochon on Friday night. Thanks again Phil for the recommendations; they've been helpful when planning so far. The person whose birthday it is wants to eat as much Cajun/Creole food as is humanly possible, so the restaurants I have written down so far are:

- Cochon
- Peche
- Cafe Reconcile
- Verti Marte
- Elizabeth's
- Felix's
- Willie Mae's
- Parkway Bakery and Tavern
- Morning Call
- MOPHO
- Herbsaint
- Bacchanal

Am I missing anything in the vicinity to where we're staying? We've got some jazz clubs in mind too, but that seems like more of a spur-of-the-moment thing rather than one that requires reservations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The single best meal I have had across 5 trips to NO was at Coop's Place near you on Decatur. It's a dive bar with a kitchen, Very traditional, relaxed cajun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Doom Rooster posted:

The single best meal I have had across 5 trips to NO was at Coop's Place near you on Decatur. It's a dive bar with a kitchen, Very traditional, relaxed cajun.

Second this. Coop's is fantastic but it's rather small - 5 people shouldn't be an issue though, especially if you plan on a late lunch.