Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but this is my second attempt at watching this and wow, Overture For a New War is the way to start. I tried watching this before on recommendation from a couple of my friends and the first two episodes didn't really grab me at all, but the movie is A+. The scene where Jessica accepts Lap's proposal only after looking for Yang's approval and the whole bit after, conveyed with zero sound, was incredibly good. If anything got me on the hook for this series, it was that. I've just finished Episode 9 now, the Klopstock Incident, and I'm going to be in for the long haul I think. The Iserlohn Fortress arc kicked rear end.

klapman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's been a while since I last watched those episodes, but my memory has basically been that the first 5-8 episodes are kind of slow, and getting past them is the requirement to become well and properly hooked. You're on a good road.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I love this show, and I have never, ever watched the first two episodes because they're directly replaced by a superior movie.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I'm sad that new series probably maybe 100% won't have Historian Man spoiling the outcome of everything in advance

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't have many complaints about the narrative overall, but making it like a History Channel documentary where the audience is expected to know all the broad strokes in advance is pretty dumb and mean to new viewers.

[spoiler]in the next episode Germany loses WWII[spoiler] :argh:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I don't have many complaints about the narrative overall, but making it like a History Channel documentary where the audience is expected to know all the broad strokes in advance is pretty dumb and mean to new viewers.

It's actually one of my favourite framing devices. It's so dry.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I just wish the big moment in episode 82. Pouring one out for my boy Yang :mad::cry::sadwave: wasn't spoiled by an ED and the narrator so early and often.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mederlock posted:

I just wish the big moment in episode 82. Pouring one out for my boy Yang :mad::cry::sadwave: wasn't spoiled by an ED and the narrator so early and often.

I must be super oblivious because I literally didn't see it coming. Part of that is that I started skipping the "next time on" bit to deliberately avoid spoilers though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seemed obvious it would happen thematically but the timing and manner of it still surprised me a lot.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

VostokProgram posted:

I must be super oblivious because I literally didn't see it coming. Part of that is that I started skipping the "next time on" bit to deliberately avoid spoilers though.

Some episodes have end-caps after the ED that are actual content and not just previews, by the way.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sarcophallus posted:

Some episodes have end-caps after the ED that are actual content and not just previews, by the way.

Yeah, when I watched I paid attention and didn't skip if it wasn't a preview.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The only time I've watched "next time on" was when I was collecting Eva VHS one at a time in the late 90s, because it would be months between tapes. I assume that was the case for a lot of people when it comes to OVA release schedules, and then the more content the better. With it all available, it doesn't make much sense to watch them now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Next time I rewatch the series (note: I have no idea when this will be) I'll make a list of which episodes have content in the ending instead of previews. Skip the previews.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's not hard to tell what's a preview and what's not because all previews follow the credits and start with the same musical jingle. If there's an extra scene at the end they instead put the credits over it with an instrumental version of the opening theme. I don't believe there's any post-credits scenes that aren't previews.

Very late edit: it's orchestral versions of the credits music, not the opening music. So stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL_Mxa9kztI

which are also some of my favourite parts of the show. The scene of Geiesburg transporting to right in front of an allied fleet is instantly evoked in my mind when I listen to them.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 30, 2017

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I loved this about the show and hope they keep it in the new series. It really drove home the themes and everything else the show had to say.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Bittenfeld is such a loving husband marry me

edit: ^disregard this reuenthal is better

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 4, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wild Horses posted:

Reuenthal will break your heart. Bittenfeld will crash your car

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
All the imperials except sieg are poo poo

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

thats p hot

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Phobophilia posted:

mittermeyer owned

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

this except fpa, and dusty

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

this except fpa, and dusty

Walter. Von. Schenkopp.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
And Katerose. And Mashengo. And Vietnamese bread guy

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

The_White_Crane posted:

Walter. Von. Schenkopp.

Post the Schenkoppest pics u got

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Poor poor Lebello. He tries so hard.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

Walter. Von. Schenkopp.

he fucks up every time yang is struggling with decisions, basically pushes him in the other direction.

Ok i lied i like poplan, yang and bucock too

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yang would be a good dictator though

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yauioxzb0fw
lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The_White_Crane posted:

Walter. Von. Schenkopp.

easily the best

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

The_White_Crane posted:

Walter. Von. Schenkopp.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

those poor imperial axemen get chopped up almost every close quarters fight

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

those poor imperial axemen get chopped up almost every close quarters fight

Those weird axe-bayonets you sometimes see them use are 100% the dumbest thing in the entire show.
"Oh yeah, I'll just stick this axe blade on the stock of my rifle so that I can't shoot with it (because there's a blade where my face should go) and I'm hitting the enemy with the end of the gun which has the trigger on it while the barrel points in my general direction."

bondster
May 6, 2007

Found this in the related videos : https://youtu.be/I-Dp8MeW_nA (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

It's so perfect :allears:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The_White_Crane posted:

Those weird axe-bayonets you sometimes see them use are 100% the dumbest thing in the entire show.
"Oh yeah, I'll just stick this axe blade on the stock of my rifle so that I can't shoot with it (because there's a blade where my face should go) and I'm hitting the enemy with the end of the gun which has the trigger on it while the barrel points in my general direction."

they're magic space guns that know when they're being used as an axe, duh-doy

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

bondster posted:

Found this in the related videos : https://youtu.be/I-Dp8MeW_nA (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

I was smiling but when it cut to Julian in the kitchen with the music in the background I pretty much lost it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

bondster posted:

It is so incredibly perfect, thank you for posting.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

The_White_Crane posted:

Walter. Von. Schenkopp.

e: Let's just watch the whole scene because it rules. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Lbuu5N4Gs

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 6, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
god i love logh
yang is so cool

the logh soundtrack is my soundtrack while i work

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9cLuRVJbGY

best logh song ^

so sad ;_;