Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Secretly chosen?
You should get credit for saving somebody.

It allows the chooser to reveal the secret themselves. Otherwise that piece of paper existing could blow up their game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm glad someone on the mom squad got it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Its a lot of power for the first tribal, like holy poo poo.

Still better than the stupid legacy poo poo they have been doing though.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Never back down, Alan!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

famous last words from Alan there

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Never back down, Alan!

He is certainly going big.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holy gently caress he's the worst player ever

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
"Hero" is never a label you want to have in Survivor. Ever.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Stick around, Alan, you crazy gem

e: What the gently caress is puke mom doing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sucks to be Ashley

wait wtf

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Can't argue with results.
Alan is a strategic genius.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha holy gently caress this lady is dumb as poo poo

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
So why is she not using it???

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha why wouldn't you play the idol?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol they literally just told you that you're next anyway. Why wouldn't you use the loving idol.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Congrats you just guaranteed you're next

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What if you keep the super idol and give to someone later on without telling them its worthless?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Let's see, I can play this idol and get someone who I know for sure will have my back the rest of the way, or I can just sit back and wait to be the next one picked off. HMMMM

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lol what a waste.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

lol they literally just told you that you're next anyway. Why wouldn't you use the loving idol.
Would you want to live with Alan for 3 more days after using a secret idol?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Probst probably left this tribal and was like "gently caress" that she didn't use it.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I don't know, I think she was kind of damned if she did and damned if she didn't because even if Ashley was voted, out the numbers were still against her.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chrissy better plant the idol in Alan's bag and then "notice" it

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Oh wow

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SHE VOTED FOR HER

WHY

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Preview :rip: crab

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Katrina looks like a Stage 4 Gary Busey

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Well, that explains why she didn't use the idol: she voted for Katrina, too.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Chrissy was in on the vote, so I reckon Alan's paranoia might have caused Ben to say something like "look, vote out Katrina this time and we can stick together and oust half of the Power Couple next time"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Survivor is run so poorly. They make the show incomprehensible all in the name of a suspenseful vote. The editing is often so far removed from the actual goings on that sometimes I wonder why I watch the show

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

blue squares posted:

Survivor is run so poorly. They make the show incomprehensible all in the name of a suspenseful vote. The editing is often so far removed from the actual goings on that sometimes I wonder why I watch the show

I'm pretty quick to criticize bad editing, but I think they were in a tough pickle with this episode because there were four completely realistic ways for the vote to go and all 6 tribe members were pretty important to the story. That's tough to fit in 1-hour premiere episode that also had to set up all 3 tribes, introduce a (bad, unused) twist, and feature 2 challenges.

It's a shame that we barely saw Katrina and don't really know why it was her over Chrissy or why Chrissy turned on Katrina, but it doesn't really mean what we saw was completely misleading. Alan probably was strongly considering voting out Ashley, and it's probably as simple as Alan getting talked off the ledge by Ben at the last second, and the original four coming together to get Katrina, and someone probably tipped off Chrissy right before they left and she decided it was better to cut her losses rather than stick her neck out so early. Tough to really show that without completely giving away the outcome.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's the first boot. It's ok to go heavy on characters and introducing idol rules.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Imagine being on the bottom of your tribe and likely to get voted out now or next time, and a weapon that you can use to vote out anyone you want just deus ex machinas into your bag before Tribal Council, and you decide not to use it.

Where do they find these people.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Ben's going to get island hot, I can feel it in my bones.

blue squares posted:

The editing is often so far removed from the actual goings on that sometimes I wonder why I watch the show

I feel like this is going to annoy me with Ali and Patrick. The show isn't acknowledging that they know each other prior but all the pre-season material did.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I'm looking forward to the wacky adventures of the bellhop and the surfer.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Last night was pretty good, but for me, the bigger news is I'm about six episodes into my first watch of Survivor: Borneo and I just...

Greg. :allears:

I know he doesn't win, but god drat is he fun to watch. I've heard production hated him. Why?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Codependent Poster posted:

Let's see, I can play this idol and get someone who I know for sure will have my back the rest of the way, or I can just sit back and wait to be the next one picked off. HMMMM
Y'all are way too hard on her for not using that idol. It was a unanimous vote, and if she sticks her neck out to save Katrina she pisses off the rest of the tribe and is down 3-2. It would've been pretty bad. As it stands, with Ashley still in the game, there's no way that Alan/couple thing doesn't continue to blow up. Chrissy should be fine.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What if you keep the super idol and give to someone later on without telling them its worthless?
Best fake idol ever.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

Last night was pretty good, but for me, the bigger news is I'm about six episodes into my first watch of Survivor: Borneo and I just...

I know he doesn't win, but god drat is he fun to watch. I've heard production hated him. Why?
Because he didn't take the game seriously. Like, Survivor wasn't a thing yet and he was just screwing around with production for his own amusement. One thing I heard is he organized one time for the entire tribe to vote out Jeff when they did the vote. I don't know if they really hated him but surely he got on their nerves sometimes when they were trying to run a proper show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spergatory posted:

They wanted to build all of this tension during the votes at Tribal and Greg basically gave zero fucks and made people laugh and it really killed the vibe production was trying to force for TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Y'all are way too hard on her for not using that idol. It was a unanimous vote, and if she sticks her neck out to save Katrina she pisses off the rest of the tribe and is down 3-2. It would've been pretty bad. As it stands, with Ashley still in the game, there's no way that Alan/couple thing doesn't continue to blow up. Chrissy should be fine.

Yeah I think you're right. We were just too surprised in the moment

• Locked thread