Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I apparently still have a NavyField account from like 2006 or something. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Largepotato posted:

Like is generally positive.

Somehow missed that part, yeah that's scummy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

congratulations to Echo and SteamWorld Dig 2, September 28's daily games of the month

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Largepotato posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/675560/NAVYFIELD/
http://www.navyfield.com/Event/20170926/Event01.aspx

Navyfield has released on steam and they are offering a rare ship for positive reviews.

:eyepop:

I was confused until I realized that tier 4 has mysteriously vanished from the page.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
More Valve can't count to three news: there will be no 2017 edition of Steam Dev Days. No 2018 either.

Did their VR set gain any traction?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Saint Freak posted:

I apparently still have a NavyField account from like 2006 or something. Amazing.

I'm honestly mystified as to how these mediocre, old, F2P Asian MMOs keep going. I just checked and you can still sign up for Conquer Online. :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow. I feel like I really wanted to play that game, but couldn't get into a beta or something, so I just forgot about it forever.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mordja posted:

I'm honestly mystified as to how these mediocre, old, F2P Asian MMOs keep going. I just checked and you can still sign up for Conquer Online. :allears:

People get into them and then never leave. It's so powerful an effect I believe some of them may actually be cursed.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I heard Lawbreakers is having a free weekend and I'm mystified that it's not already F2P.

It feels like if you're not Activision/Blizzard or EA, if you're making a multiplayer-only FPS it's practically suicide to not go F2P nowadays, aside from a few extremely rare exceptions like Destiny and PUBG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Imagined posted:

I heard Lawbreakers is having a free weekend and I'm mystified that it's not already F2P.

It feels like if you're not Activision/Blizzard or EA, if you're making a multiplayer-only FPS it's practically suicide to not go F2P nowadays, aside from a few extremely rare exceptions like Destiny and PUBG.

It had like <25 current players the last time I checked. Cliffyb was crying on Twitter about it failing and all I could do was laugh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imagined posted:

Destiny is owned by Activision/Blizzard. :spooky:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Well there ya go.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mordja posted:

I'm not going back to find the exact post, but someone no-joke posted about Gunbound sometime this month in the gen chat thread.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And PUBG seems like what everyone was waiting DayZ to become so that market was already exposed, just waiting for the first breakthrough.

What's going on with DayZ anyways? Has it collapsed under the weight of the Arma engine?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

And PUBG seems like what everyone was waiting DayZ to become so that market was already exposed, just waiting for the first breakthrough.

What's going on with DayZ anyways? Has it collapsed under the weight of the Arma engine?

Devs just kinda... stopped. The Arma engine isn't even at fault: They were using a custom version.

Terminally Bored posted:

More Valve can't count to three news: there will be no 2017 edition of Steam Dev Days. No 2018 either.

Did their VR set gain any traction?

Yeah, the Vive is still pretty great and is generating a lot of sales on Steam. That's not actually made by them though, it bears the mark of HTC, we'll be waiting until their "Knuckles" controllers which include finger tracking and natural gripping/throwing until we get some official Valve VR gear.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 28, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Imagined posted:

aside from a few extremely rare exceptions like Destiny and PUBG.

There's the rub. Someone is trying to catch that magic.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This MMO talk reminded me that my favorite one, Grand Chase, had it's servers closed some years ago. I googled it just in case tho, and it appears it got a second chance! I might download it and try for the old times.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

could anyone let me borrow some Runescape gold

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
buying steam friends

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Imagined posted:

if you're making a multiplayer-only FPS it's practically suicide to not go F2P nowadays, aside from a few extremely rare exceptions like Destiny and PUBG.
I disagree, F2P is bad and it becomes even harder to control cheating, pay2wins, and other garbage that turn people off. There just isn't a whole lot of game in town because it's an intensively costly to develop and do it right. And lawbreakers just seemed lovely and boring, nothing to do with it's pay model, I'm not even going to touch it for free and wouldn't have touched it even if it was f2p.

Also you mentioned the two companies that are really the only ones still making multiplayer fps games (dice/ea, activision) and they're doing fine. There are also several that are doing great (like CSGO and PUBG). I feel like a DOD2:GO would sell like hotcakes, or a Natural Selection 3 (2 was a pretty good hit and wasn't that long ago). As long as the game itself is good (or has mega name/brand rec), it'll sell.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 28, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know R6:Siege had a slow start but its quite popular now. Maybe only after they launched that cheap Starter Edition though?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Did Batman Arkham Knight end up good? Driving around in the car sounds rad, so $13 for the GOTY version seems a solid deal. I figure it's more of the same from the previous games, but I have to keep any performance issues in mind since I am still on a 660 GTX. The previous games ran and looked great.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I personally think it was fun as hell and they fixed the performance problems for most people, but keep your finger over the refund button in case you are not once of those people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ragequit posted:

Did Batman Arkham Knight end up good? Driving around in the car sounds rad, so $13 for the GOTY version seems a solid deal. I figure it's more of the same from the previous games, but I have to keep any performance issues in mind since I am still on a 660 GTX. The previous games ran and looked great.

The car is actually the worst part of any Batman game unfortunately.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The batmobile actually owns in AK.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I like how the only F.E.A.R. that's worth playing isn't discounted at all. You can pay $10 for the good one, or $13 and change for the good one and its weird, muddled offspring, what a deal!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Deakul posted:

Yeah. I liked it way better than on-foot sections. A whole game with mechanics somewhat resembling the Batmobile would be nice.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
AK is fine, just like with the other games turn off the Nvidia special FX bullshit. Skip the collectible busywork once you're sick of it all and watch the not so secret real ending on youtube.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The batmobile is also very front loaded. It gets routinely used, but the meat of the game is still on foot, punching dudes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

The batmobile is also very front loaded. It gets routinely used, but the meat of the game is still catapulting yourself miles into the sky with Grapnel Boost.

:colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah, that's without saying.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
It was strange that they made the Batmobile a bullet hell game. I had some sound stuttering on my 970, but it performed decent most of the time.

It's also the first Arkham game where I didn't collect all the trophies. I looked up the SUPER REAL ending on Youtube and was glad I didn't spend the time.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think Arkham Asylum and City are the only games since Banjo Kazooie where I actually got all the collectables. City especially actually made them fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I thought the Batmobile was pretty fun when it was the Batmobile but not as much when it was the Bat-tank.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Apart from the perfomance issues and the riddler challenges Arkham Knight is an improvement on the previous one in every way. The Riddler challenges just seemed really lovely compared to the kind of neat traversal ones of City and the perspective puzzles of whateverthefirstonewascalled. The Predator sections especially feel fantastic in Knight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Imagined posted:

Did anyone think that Lawbreakers WASN'T going to be dead on arrival?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everything about the marketing strategy for Lawbreakers made zero sense to me. It chased after some pretend demographic of hardcore gam3r with 'tude while also boldly proclaiming it was 2 fast 2 furious for all you other lil nubbins to compete. A wonder why it didn't sell well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I didn't mind either side of the Batmobile stuff that much (though 1 or 2 of the Riddler races did suck to do with KB+M and there are obviously some missteps, ie, Deathstroke). It makes me sad that discussion of the car stuff overtakes all of the more interesting and cool poo poo the game did like the team-up system and the clever additions to both the predator and combat sections like the medics. I got a strong vibe from a lot of that stuff (also the DLC) that they were experimenting with lots of new ideas for the inevitable Justice League follow-up.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Deakul posted:

It was fun until you get near the end if you hadn't spent some upgrade points on the batmobile; you are likely to have a unfun time of it.

I think the game was really good and worth playing, but they shouldve kept the batmobile on some separate upgrade point system because it's really easy to screw yourself at the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I didn't mind either side of the Batmobile stuff that much (though 1 or 2 of the Riddler races did suck to do with KB+M and there are obviously some missteps, ie, Deathstroke). It makes me sad that discussion of the car stuff overtakes all of the more interesting and cool poo poo the game did like the team-up system and the clever additions to both the predator and combat sections like the medics. I got a strong vibe from a lot of that stuff (also the DLC) that they were experimenting with lots of new ideas for the inevitable Justice League follow-up.

Deathstroke in a tank was probably the worst decision that was made in regards to the Batmobile.