Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah they didn't really give much of an indication about how the votes would land, so her not using the idol seemed really weak. But knowing that she ended up voting for her in the end makes a little more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Even if she didn't want to vote Katrina I think it makes sense to let her walk. You don't want to solidify yourself as a 2 in a tribe of 3. Preseason, I was saying unless your tribe was split down the middle 3-3, the first TC idol was an invitation to overplay (or save your rear end).

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 28, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think she made the right move this early in the game. That tribe's internal dynamics are a mess and Chrissy's in a solid position now to be like "look, I'm a stable number, I'm not a paranoid nut, and I ain't in a showmance." She could easily hook up with Ben as the sane people, with Ben and Alan against the couple, with the couple against the two dudes, or whatever way the tribe flows. Its way too early to go all "ride or die" with someone who didn't seem like a big player and potentially unite the surviving three against you. All you gotta do is survive a couple of weeks on good terms before the swap. This part of the game should be about surviving and building relationships, not big game moves.

But to be honest I felt confused all episode. Maybe that's a result of the condensed 1 hour premiere. Maybe its just my usual terrible name-with-faces thing. I always struggle to identify people early on and I guess the premiere being half as long meant I had less time to settle in and learn them. But everything seemed like it was coming out of left field for me.

But Chrissy's playing safe on a tribe of people making targets of themselves and I can back that.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 28, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why the hell is this thread title not Triple H Throwdown - "It's all about the Game and how you play it"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rarity posted:

Why the hell is this thread title not Triple H Throwdown - "It's all about the Game and how you play it"

See iIyou thought the Triple H Throwdown part was a Sir Mixalot reference but then the Suck It part is a DX reference and now I don't get it at all.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Interesting interview of Katrina. I guess her and Chrissy were never going to work together.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/28/survivor-35-premiere-katrina-radke/

Edit: better article

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-season-35-first-one-reveals-what-went-wrong-1043745

Max fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 28, 2017

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lone Goat posted:

See iIyou thought the Triple H Throwdown part was a Sir Mixalot reference but then the Suck It part is a DX reference and now I don't get it at all.

Guess there is some confusion here, but it's a Wrestling reference from the former champion known as Triple H.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just finished episode 8 of Borneo. Goodnight, sweet prince. :qq:

I thought I had reached peak Greg with his "whoops, my shirt fell open! :wink:" seduction strategy with Richard, but nothing, nothing could have prepared me for Greg's sister. I am now convinced that Greg and his entire family are Mxyzptlk-style aliens from another dimension who occasionally come to earth just to gently caress with people.

Greg, whatever dimension you're in now, I raise my glass to you, you crazy bastard. :allears:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It seems like the boot was obvious from the get go and they had to creatively make it look like Katrina and Chrissy were together to have any kind of suspense regarding the vote.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Guess there is some confusion here, but it's a Wrestling reference from the former champion known as Triple H.

I'm aware of the works of Hunter Hearst Helmsley but there's a part in Baby Got Back that refers to a Triple X Throwdown and I just PBF'd myself into oblivion.

But Rarity is extremely correct, please amend the thread name as noticed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spergatory posted:

Just finished episode 8 of Borneo. Goodnight, sweet prince. :qq:

I thought I had reached peak Greg with his "whoops, my shirt fell open! :wink:" seduction strategy with Richard, but nothing, nothing could have prepared me for Greg's sister. I am now convinced that Greg and his entire family are Mxyzptlk-style aliens from another dimension who occasionally come to earth just to gently caress with people.

Greg, whatever dimension you're in now, I raise my glass to you, you crazy bastard. :allears:

Well now you get to enjoy the alphabet strategy in all it's wonderful glory.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Memories...
https://twitter.com/melgotserved/status/913197837395120128

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Man what a show that was. Holy poo poo that was ten years ago.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 29, 2017

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
With respect to Chrissy and the idol, while I see the argument that it was better to not play it than to play it (even if I'm not sure I agree), I don't see why she didn't try to use the idol as leverage to build an alliance. Often using an idol as leverage is dangerous because people can try to blindside you with the idol in your pocket, but with a super idol Chrissy would have been safe no matter what.

For example, why not go up to Alan right before Tribal and show him the idol? He very well may panic and flip to Katrina/Chrissy and actually force a 3-3 split. Or, alternatively, he becomes so panicked that he turns Ashley and JP firmly against him. I think the tensions were so high in that tribe that if the idol was public knowledge the vote could have landed on Alan or Ashley or even JP. The "worst" case with this scenario is they still vote out Katrina and Chrrisy's not any worse off than she is right now.

I guess the counterargument is the upside of that plan working is uncertain enough that it's not worth the risk of putting your neck so far out there and making yourself a big aggressive gameplayer on Day 3. But, from what we saw on the show, the risk of her being the second boot is still too high and she *probably* should have tried something while she actually had some power.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Keep in mind, she also got the idol right before tribal council as a surprise present. She didn't exactly have a whole lot of time to consider its many possible uses.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Given what was said in that interview, I think there was never any way she was going to use it to save Katrina, so unless it came out that she was the one getting the boot, that thing wasn't getting played.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I can understand the thinking behind not using the idol on a non-ally on its face, but I also have to wonder whether she can hold on to the idol, even though it's useless. Seems like a powerful tool which can be shown or given away to other players to build trust, as long as she doesn't reveal it's useless now.

I also wonder whether she would be allowed to alter the rule paper. The paper they showed was really long. Could a player rip the top of the paper off where they say it's only good at the first tribal?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

J33uk posted:

Man what a show that was. Holy poo poo that was ten years ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, from what we've picked up on...

- She and Katrina weren't close at all so she wasn't a reliable ally to risk turning the tribe against her to save.
- She may be next on the boot order but with Alan acting a fool and the showmance being overt that seems fairly likely to change if she plays her cards right.
- Its a 3 tribe situation anyway so there's a better than usual chance that she doesn't even go to another tribal with this crew before a swap.
- She got the idol last minute with no real time to leverage it or come up with a plan short of just throwing a bomb in Tribal Council or right before.
- She still would have theoretically been on the wrong side of the numbers if she had played it.

All in all she could end up going home next week and the gamble not working but if I'm playing Survivor I rather gamble on my own basic social and game skills in the first few days than risk overplaying and doing something huge that doesn't even really have a high probability of helping me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just finished episode 13 of Borneo. God, Sue is such a hypocritical bitch. I mean, I think Richard deserved to win but I still wanted to slap the taste out of Sue's mouth during her whole stupid speech. Jesus loving Christ. You lost. It was a game. Get over yourself and get some perspective. Vote for Richard if you want but you don't have to be a massive loving oval office about it.

Also :lol: Greg. Chaotic Neutral to the very end.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 30, 2017

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Spergatory posted:

You lost. It was a game. Get over yourself and get some perspective. Vote for Richard if you want but you don't have to be a massive loving oval office about it.
So glad we're out of the "How can you be a good person at home if you lied on a game show?!" era.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hope the probation officer doesn't last long because this show is just getting really too heavy on cop circle jerk the last few seasons.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm surprised more cops haven't played and won tbh. Like I said before, cops literally receive training in how to trick people into disclosing things against their own self-interest. It's one of the most useful skillsets you can have on Survivor.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Holy crap if I was to watch an episode of Survivor every day it would take over a year and a half to watch them all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Holy crap if I was to watch an episode of Survivor every day it would take over a year and a half to watch them all.

watch a season a day and you'll finish in just over a month!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

I'm surprised more cops haven't played and won tbh. Like I said before, cops literally receive training in how to trick people into disclosing things against their own self-interest. It's one of the most useful skillsets you can have on Survivor.

You'd also think poker players would do well, given their entire profession is based around bluffing and reading tells, but I can't think of a single one on reality shows in general Survivor that has made it to the merge, let alone done well.

Actually the only one I remember is Anna from Worlds Apart, and only because she was an attractive woman who ended up being anti-vax, I think.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rick posted:

I hope the probation officer doesn't last long because this show is just getting really too heavy on cop circle jerk the last few seasons.

Cops on the show are cool IMO. But probation officers are the biggest douchebags. "Oh I'm helping society by trying to find a way to lock these assholes back up"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I think the thing is that those skills we tend to associate with poker players or cops or whoever only really account for part of the Survivor game. So much of the game is basic social skills and the ability to adapt to the poo poo that gets thrown at you. I'm not sure cops or poker players or whoever are more likely to have those than most occupations. If you focus on those particular one dimensional game skills I think you're more likely to get the "gamebot" types who have really high opinions of their one dimensional game skills like the probation officer seems to.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, off of the top of my head I can't think of a "Survivor is just like [my job]!" person who has actually been good at the game. Being so self-absorbed that you think your career gives you a unique insight into this game is probably a bad sign for your ability to actually navigate the social dynamics

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was trying to think of a job that would make you naturally suited for the game but I just kind of kept coming back to "if you're a well rounded person with some strategic mindset, a flexible approach that lets you adapt to the game instead of force the game to your goals, and just enough ruthlessness to make the necessary dirty move when it comes" then you'll probably be a good Survivor player.

As long as your tribe doesn't suck early and you get picked off before the game even really begins.

Or you're TOO well rounded and you get targeted because of it.

Or a tribe swap leaves you as a helpless number on a new tribe.

Or you don't get bit by a spider or drink some funky water or fall in some dangerous rear end challenge.

Or you just can't solve some puzzle.

Survivor is chaos. Find me the job that is juggling chaos while making friends, reading bluffs, and doing crazy athletics and puzzles and I'll recommend a bunch of them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jeff Probst's job makes him well suited to play the game :smug: Everybody else though, yea, not really.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yul was probably the 'best' out of actually using his job (as a lawyer) since he quite effectively argued Jonathan into basically giving the Aitu 4 the majority for the game.

But realistically anyone who says 'I'm a <job> and that's going to help me because' is probably not going to actually win because of it. Your life circumstances may help you (see Jeremy) but it's not going to be your crutch, and it'd probably hurt you more than anything (see how half the professional sports people try badly to hide what they do).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The one hour premiere plus super idol twist made this an incredibly rushed start. My friends was first time watchers (I don't live in America) and this episode was not a good introduction. I guess a show this established doesn't really need to for most viewers but :shrug:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

You'd also think poker players would do well, given their entire profession is based around bluffing and reading tells, but I can't think of a single one on reality shows in general Survivor that has made it to the merge, let alone done well.
I think Jim in South Pacific was a good example of how that goes wrong in a social game with far more options than poker betting. He was livid about Cochran flipping and said X wasn't playing to win but to return later. Honestly it's not terrible analysis but he was furious about a bad beat and it says something about his ability to handle people who aren't game bots running the same numbers. Also he was a jerk and couldn't read that X was mad about bullying or skittish about a tie.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
How many cops have even played Survivor? Two out of thirty-four winners is a pretty good track record for an occupation that doesn't seem to show up every season.

EDIT: Found this reliable-looking and very interesting blog post that analyzes occupations and Survivor placement. Apparently police (well, "law enforcement") are the *worst* performing common occupation by average placement. Weirder still, apparently only 14 players have listed "law enforcement" as their occupation and two of those won, which is a really high percentage. I guess the rule-of-thumb is cops almost always go out pre-merge, but if they stick around they have a really strong chance of winning?? Somewhat counterintuitve, but there ya go.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 1, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dugong posted:

The one hour premiere plus super idol twist made this an incredibly rushed start. My friends was first time watchers (I don't live in America) and this episode was not a good introduction. I guess a show this established doesn't really need to for most viewers but :shrug:

Honestly for first time watchers I'd get them started with Gabon. Very light on actual strategy, but it's fun, has some decent characters (minus Corrine) and has some quirks with idols.

Then once they've dipped their toes in you can throw them something like Cagayan.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
is nobody going to talk about how kylo ren is on this season?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mancalamania posted:

How many cops have even played Survivor? Two out of thirty-four winners is a pretty good track record for an occupation that doesn't seem to show up every season.

EDIT: Found this reliable-looking and very interesting blog post that analyzes occupations and Survivor placement. Apparently police (well, "law enforcement") are the *worst* performing common occupation by average placement. Weirder still, apparently only 14 players have listed "law enforcement" as their occupation and two of those won, which is a really high percentage. I guess the rule-of-thumb is cops almost always go out pre-merge, but if they stick around they have a really strong chance of winning?? Somewhat counterintuitve, but there ya go.

I'm no statistician but I would imagine the field of players is way too small and way too affected by other casting factors that any kind of numbers would be suspect at best.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"

Spergatory posted:

I believe they wanted to cast Greg for S31 Cambodia when they were looking for early-season returnees (S3 Africa T-Bird– what?) but he couldn't take time off work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Wizardryo posted:

I believe they wanted to cast Greg for S31 Cambodia when they were looking for early-season returnees (S3 Africa T-Bird– what?) but he couldn't take time off work.

T-Bird would have been amazing to come back. She was the only one playing the game after Lex and Ethan.

• Locked thread