Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"Just don't die, 'cause you're not gonna win."

THE VIETNAM WAR
EPISODE 9: “A Disrespectful Loyalty” (May 1970-March 1973) - Watch it here

"South Vietnamese forces fighting on their own in Laos suffer a terrible defeat. Massive U.S. airpower makes the difference in halting an unprecedented North Vietnamese offensive. After being re-elected in a landslide, Nixon announces Hanoi has agreed to a peace deal. American prisoners of war will finally come home – to a bitterly divided country."

------------

Still more conflict as the U.S. involvement winds down; more bombing campaigns, more failed offensives from the North, and back home the U.S. continues to fray at the edges. Vietnam vets against the war throwing their medals back was pretty moving, and the Pentagon Papers leak. Yet another historic photo of misery in the photo of the napalm strike on civilians; glad to hear she survived. Nixon continues to be a motherfucker, paranoid of everyone because he knows he's a motherfucker and doesn't want everyone else to know it, leading to Watergate; despite it all he trounces McGovern who it appears would also have been a fucker except he was too incompetent to pull it off. Finally, mercifully at the end of this episode, the U.S. returns POWs home and the military leaves; seeing the POWs come home was very bittersweet given the death toll though.

March 29, 1973: 58,126 Americans killed; over 2 Million Vietnamese killed. We've got one more episode to go, and given that this era has been full of mistakes and bad decisions (and innocent people suffering for it) I am sure more are on the way.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm just into the second episode of Vietnam now. It's pretty amazing.

The only shortcoming to me is that the voice of the basic narrator isn't as good as that of McNeil, Robards, Holbrook etc. in the Civil War series (and whoever did the voice of Mary Chestnut), but of course most of those were people playing roles, when we have live interviews with the surviving principals and tons and tons of actual film and high quality photos.

The soundtrack is amazing. The detail that the history and background of the conflict including the French colonial era and the transition and various misjudgments and fuckups that led us into the quagmire is really well presented, and thorough as hell.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zwabu posted:

The soundtrack is amazing.
The way they sync some of the song hits to gunshots or cannons or blasts - just enough to impact the message but not enough to flex a steroid muscle - what a fantastic thing.

And I like the narrator. So there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

magnificent7 posted:

The way they sync some of the song hits to gunshots or cannons or blasts - just enough to impact the message but not enough to flex a steroid muscle - what a fantastic thing.

Agree on both counts.

Just finished episode 8 and gently caress

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

magnificent7 posted:

This seems to be a trend in recent documentaries and I frankly hate it. Like the image Die after his execution speaks for itself, there's no reason to stick the sound of a gunshot over the top of it as though the viewer can't already tell what's happened.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

KoRMaK posted:

Vietnam PBS docu is this for 18 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OySmfR74RUU

Whcih, i feel conflicted about when the narration picks up about an ambush, and the soundtrack kicks in and all of a sudden I'm excited. im exctied in that way I get when I consume good media, disconnected from the consequences

But i guess thats how its always been. That nin video had all the same components, just that i spent less time in it and had a little bit more abstraction from the stories. Life, procreation, survival, war, the MIC, boner pills, Oil, consumption, proliferation - a quick reflection of our society set to a gripping and reflective soundtrack

Reznor reusing a load of cues from his previous soundtrack has kind of put me off this film because it makes the whole act of writing music for films seem a little hollow to me. I recall when The Social Network came out people raving about the music matched up so perfectly to images of Zuckerberg moping around Harvard. Now the same music apparently sounds excellent over footage of America's forays into Vietnam. How convenient.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Seems odd to think that music can't work well in different contexts.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Trent should have made 18 hours of new music for this. I demand nothing less.

I think this is his most complete score. I've liked the others but they often felt like fragments of songs rather than complete pieces, these songs all feel fleshed out and finished. I'm also pretty interested in seeing how songs sync up and work with different visuals, so re-contextualizing older pieces is good.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Random thought but the soundtrack is also the only part of the film which feels oddly partial. The filmmakers went out of their way to be as honset about what happened as they could be and put as many viewpoints as they could into it but most of the contemporary music in the film can be associated with the protest movement. There's no music from the opposite end of things like The Ballad of the Green Berets or Keith Everett's Conscientious Objectors.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
As an aside, I am continually amazed that Ballad of the Green Berets was like, a Billboard topping hit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As an aside, I am continually amazed that Ballad of the Green Berets was like, a Billboard topping hit.

Its hosed up poo poo and a year before Barry McGuire and Eve of Destruction got blocked on air waves, used as an example of what was wrong with Americas youth, and accused of aiding enemies in Vietnam.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

There's no music from the opposite end of things

I think you missed Okie from Muskogee.

But by and large it was:

Anti-war songs = good
Pro-War songs = bad

To be fair, there are famous anti-war songs missing too. One Tin Soldier is a pretty glaring example.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"Saigon signing off."

THE VIETNAM WAR
EPISODE 10: “The Weight of Memory” (March 1973-Onward) - Watch it here

"While the Watergate scandal rivets Americans’ attention and forces President Nixon to resign, the Vietnamese continue to savage one another in a brutal civil war. When hundreds of thousands of North Vietnamese troops pour into the south, Saigon descends rapidly into chaos and collapses. For the next 40 years, Americans and Vietnamese from all sides search for healing and reconciliation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a46WJ1viA

------------

The Vietnam War is finally over. But in so many ways, and for so many people, it's not over; the impacts of it ripple through communities and lives and on into the future. I think the final episode left me feeling hopeful; despite the tragedy of it all, the destruction, the lost lives, the division, the suffering and all the negative impacts that still show up today; that many people it seems did learn lessons from the war that they are trying to pass on. In hundreds of years that sort of direct impact will fade, but hopefully the lessons learned will lead to a more peaceful world. I really want to visit the memorial now.

Taking the series as a whole, The Vietnam War is a large undertaking just to watch. Many nights these past two weeks I settled in knowing two hours would amount to a lot of my free time that night. It covers such a broad swath of recent history from so many perspectives that it would've been easy to have 18 hours feel bogged down. Instead it leaves me wanting to know more still, which I think is quite a feat. My only qualms with the production were with some overused audio through the series, but that's such a minor nitpick for what is otherwise a remarkable documentary. Dedicate time to watch this, alone if you must but with others if you can. One or two episodes a week would probably be really good pacing because it is a lot to take in, and even more to discuss. Turn off your phone, block out the time, and just take it all in. It's worth it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn episode 9 made me real mad that Kerry lost the election

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Asnorban posted:

Trent should have made 18 hours of new music for this. I demand nothing less.

I think this is his most complete score. I've liked the others but they often felt like fragments of songs rather than complete pieces, these songs all feel fleshed out and finished. I'm also pretty interested in seeing how songs sync up and work with different visuals, so re-contextualizing older pieces is good.

Wait, is this actually an original score? I thought it was just Ghosts I-IV added to video.

Not that this is strictly a bad thing: Ghosts I-IV is an album that doesn't really stand on its own despite having a lot of tracks that work very well as background/mood music, but I didn't notice much that was new material.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whoa, all the NVA footage is in black and white. USA footage is in color. Wierd intersection about technology send story telling device there.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It seems like some of it is original (the more ambient stuff) but most of it is rehashed NIN material. On one end it feels weird recognizing the music, but on the other end: It fits.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Wait, is this actually an original score? I thought it was just Ghosts I-IV added to video.

Not that this is strictly a bad thing: Ghosts I-IV is an album that doesn't really stand on its own despite having a lot of tracks that work very well as background/mood music, but I didn't notice much that was new material.

There's a certain nin guitar phrase, in a eukelele, that I swear I heard on one of the halo remixes between downward spiral and the fragile, but I can't find it and I've taken to relistening to the whole catalog including ghosts

Ghosts was basically made for pbs/free use/mit open source license. Listen to it and you realize it's an open source project

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jehde posted:

It seems like some of it is original (the more ambient stuff) but most of it is rehashed NIN material. On one end it feels weird recognizing the music, but on the other end: It fits.

It's like the culmination of what nin was doing. Political, viseral, unturning, audio and visual.

It's kind of nice to see the realization of a career like this. Same with the nin Adam Curtis crossover

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Let's just all try and forget Trent's collaboration album Niggy Tardust. God that was bad.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

precision posted:

Let's just all try and forget Trent's collaboration album Niggy Tardust. God that was bad.

Lol makes this more funny
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/evden7/trent-reznor-doesnt-get-drake

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Now I know why they called him "Tricky Dick".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Not to drag this derail out too much more but lol:

quote:

Secondly, though it's hardly surprising that the man who wrote "Closer" and essentially popularized the industrial genre isn't exactly bumping the top 40 during his commute

Closer was a top 40 hit and has more in common with Drake than industrial music.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Yeah, it's 1h35 minutes long. I'm only on episode 4, but I'm definitely hearing significantly more of this score than Ghosts or other existing TRez work. The "Trent Reznor" sounds definitely bubble up in the mix more when I'm listening over my TV speakers, so I could see not thinking it was much new stuff if all you can hear are the piano coming through.

Check out the score on it's own if you are a fan. It's up on Spotify.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

precision posted:

Closer was a top 40 hit and has more in common with Drake than industrial music.

I'm pretty sure i read an interview way back where Trent cited Prince as the main musical inspiration behind Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral.

Closer is a white r&b song.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Trent cited Prince as the main musical inspiration behind Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral.
What the what now

ps documentaries are good just keeping it all on track.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

There's a certain nin guitar phrase, in a eukelele, that I swear I heard on one of the halo remixes between downward spiral and the fragile, but I can't find it and I've taken to relistening to the whole catalog including ghosts

Ghosts was basically made for pbs/free use/mit open source license. Listen to it and you realize it's an open source project

Thing they kept using I think was the bit at the start of this track on Ghosts. No idea if that's what you're thinking of but here it is anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASFFsXL2Iqg

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Ye think so? I think not

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure i read an interview way back where Trent cited Prince as the main musical inspiration behind Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral.

Trent's early inspirations were stuff like Bowie and Bauhaus, I've never heard him being associated with Prince before.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mahoning posted:

To be fair, there are famous anti-war songs missing too. One Tin Soldier is a pretty glaring example.

That's probably true but Ballad of the Green Berets was the biggest selling single of 1966. It looks like quite a big thing to leave out given how comprehensive the series aims to be.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cloudchamber posted:

Thing they kept using I think was the bit at the start of this track on Ghosts. No idea if that's what you're thinking of but here it is anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASFFsXL2Iqg

Yepppppp!!!! Mystery solved. Thank you very much for that.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

cloudchamber posted:

Trent's early inspirations were stuff like Bowie and Bauhaus, I've never heard him being associated with Prince before.

Read the liner notes to Pretty Hate Machine (geez, kids these days).

NIN has always had a funk and R&B vibe.

edit: also, a quick visit to whosampled.com shows he's sampled Prince twice

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 29, 2017

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You're welcome. Inevitably that little riff has also shown up in some of Adam Curtis's work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxV3_bG1EHA

(Plays right at the end after another track from Ghosts)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

That's probably true but Ballad of the Green Berets was the biggest selling single of 1966. It looks like quite a big thing to leave out given how comprehensive the series aims to be.

John Lennon's Imagine is regarded in many circles as one of the greatest songs ever written and it was absent too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm gonna put that fact in the 'Positives' pile.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ye think so? I think not

Yeah I double taked real hard when I saw that line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Whether he said that or not (I remember that he did too) Prince is actually sampled on the album.

e: oh you already said that, ha. But yeah in the mid 90s every club I went to played "Closer" right alongside Madonna and Prince, it is 100% a "white funk/pop" song

precision fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 29, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NIN has always had a funk and R&B vibe.

Yeah, their backbeats have always been like, I dunno. New Wave? I've always found them super dancy, quite unlike their reputation would suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mahoning posted:

John Lennon's Imagine is regarded in many circles as one of the greatest songs ever written and it was absent too.

Maybe you can brush this fact aside as irrelevant but the awkward thing about most documentaries about Vietnam and the sixties is that they tend to focus on the iconic pop culture of the era which was predominantly against the war. This doesn't sit well with the fact that a large number of Americans, at times probably a majority, actually supported what the US was doing in South East Asia. Ballad of the Green Berets, a patriotic war song, sold out more copies than any of the counter culture tunes that feature in the documentary. It has massive social and cultural relevance to the film's subject. I think it is a mistake to have left it out.