Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mechafunkzilla posted:

9/11 was the greatest day of my life

One of my favorite toys as a kid was a Id4 playset where you can drop alien bombs onto the WTC and Empire State Building to completely collapse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/911309822099968001

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Okay I don't have anything to say to that, I just wanted to say that I saw your username and clicked and thought "Huh, that's a weirdly Godzilla looking Digimon"

And then I realized what thread this was

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Okay I don't have anything to say to that, I just wanted to say that I saw your username and clicked and thought "Huh, that's a weirdly Godzilla looking Digimon"

And then I realized what thread this was

Amusingly, there is a popular theory that a bunch of Digimon are straight up Godzilla homages

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that's without question.

The actual art distances them a fair bit, but like, Raremon is STILL basically Hedorah

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Has the new Digimon series finished yet? Is it worth a watch and is it available in the UK anywhere?

rvm
May 6, 2013
Just watched Shin Godzilla, It's really, really good. Was glued to the screen whole way through, so don't expect an objective review. This movie is why I love the medium if that makes any sense.

10 / 10 .

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Has the new Digimon series finished yet? Is it worth a watch and is it available in the UK anywhere?

Which? Appmon or Tri?

Appmon is almost finished, its on the second to last episode. Tri's fifth movie is JUST about to come out and the last should be before the end of the year or early 2018

I'm not sure about their status in the UK, though Tri's subbed form could likely be found on Crunchyroll

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
King of the Monsters has wrapped filming

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/912818077842231297

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/912941901103403008

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That was a quick shoot!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Fun fact: James Hong worked on the American dub of the original Godzilla in 1955.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fun fact: James Hong worked on the American dub of the original Godzilla in 1955.

It's my sworn obligation to reaffirm that James Hong is a national-loving-treasure whenever I see his name mentioned.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You got my hopes up that he was involved in the new King of the Monsters

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Another, probably more widely-know, fun fact is that George Takei did a lot of dubbing work for the stateside release of Godzilla Raids Again, which over here became Gigantis the Fire Monster via a process best left to the imagination.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

HannibalBarca posted:

Another, probably more widely-know, fun fact is that George Takei did a lot of dubbing work for the stateside release of Godzilla Raids Again, which over here became Gigantis the Fire Monster via a process best left to the imagination.

Man, the localization process of GRA is just insane. At one point the US people re-engineering it thought they would want more monster scenes, so Toho went to the trouble of remaking the Godzilla and Anguirus suits (the original ones had some wear and tear, plus were not for lending) and shipped them to America. Then the filmmakers changed their minds and...the suits were never seen or heard from again. It's a huge mystery where these suits went. There's photographic evidence to prove the story is real, but they've never been used for a film to anyone's knowledge, and just vanished. :iiam:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

then there's that whole business where they planned on localizing the story to the extent that they would try to pass off Osaka as San Francisco's Chinatown...can't imagine why they gave up on that little adventure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm going to go on a road trip to search for the lost Godzilla and find myself along the way.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wizchine posted:

It's my sworn obligation to reaffirm that James Hong is a national-loving-treasure whenever I see his name mentioned.

He's super loving nice and he has old man strength when he shakes your hand.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

RichterIX posted:

He's super loving nice and he has old man strength when he shakes your hand.

Awesome. I have not been so blessed.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm going to go on a road trip to search for the lost Godzilla and find myself along the way.

Unfortunately, foam latex deteriorates relatively quickly, so that's all you'll find.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

drat, that guy's got a shorter half life than ShinGoji.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mecha Gojira posted:

Unfortunately, foam latex deteriorates relatively quickly, so that's all you'll find.

Jokes on you, the original suits were basically made out of concrete

They'll live forever! (because no one can loving wear them without passing out)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I know the release date moved forward because of Edwards leaving, and perhaps to not compete with 2018 summer movies, but the length of time between production wrapping up and March 2019 seems unusually - no, insanely - long.

Like, is this movie going to be in post production for over a year, or is the completed film just going to sit around forever?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I know the release date moved forward because of Edwards leaving, and perhaps to not compete with 2018 summer movies, but the length of time between production wrapping up and March 2019 seems unusually - no, insanely - long.

Like, is this movie going to be in post production for over a year, or is the completed film just going to sit around forever?

the former. They've got an assload of special effects since this is a movie where the title character and villains are completely CGI, which will take a while, then they'll probably go in an edit together what they've got, make an 80% complete movie out of it, do test screenings, figure out what they're missing, go and do some reshoots if necessary to pick up things they've missed, and then repeat the process. it will take a while.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, you guys remember the comic that put Kong as Batman and Godzilla as Superman?

The third issue of the comic prequel/sequel to Skull Island revealed the origin of Kong and well...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Every movie hero is turning into Batman. Bond is Batman, Kong is Batman, I'm sure Han Solo will be Batman.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want to see the Giant Ape Joe Chill use a coconut gun to ice Mr. Kong and Mrs. Kong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just going to pretend I recited the entire DK Rap here to save time.

Gotta admit, a young child surrounded by the corpses of his parents is still a powerful image.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They had no style, they had no grace,
Those Kongs are in a better place.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crossposting this from the "identify a movie" thread because where better to ask than a Godzilla thread?

My girlfriend and I have been racking our brains for ages trying to figure out which Japanese Godzilla movie she found a trailer for that, at one point, had an older guy on the streets of Tokyo start yelling at Godzilla mid-rampage only for Godzilla to turn around and do his screechy roar at the guy turning his hair white.

I could be misremembering the details, which is entirely likely as my memory is worth poo poo these days, but my girlfriend remembers the rough gist of that part of the trailer. Dude yells at Godzilla, Godzilla roars back.

Please help.

edit: I don't think it's Godzilla 2000, Tokyo SOS, Final Wars or All-Out Monster Attack, nor do I think it's Shin Godzilla

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

Crossposting this from the "identify a movie" thread because where better to ask than a Godzilla thread?

My girlfriend and I have been racking our brains for ages trying to figure out which Japanese Godzilla movie she found a trailer for that, at one point, had an older guy on the streets of Tokyo start yelling at Godzilla mid-rampage only for Godzilla to turn around and do his screechy roar at the guy turning his hair white.

I could be misremembering the details, which is entirely likely as my memory is worth poo poo these days, but my girlfriend remembers the rough gist of that part of the trailer. Dude yells at Godzilla, Godzilla roars back.

Please help.

edit: I don't think it's Godzilla 2000, Tokyo SOS, Final Wars or All-Out Monster Attack, nor do I think it's Shin Godzilla

Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ruj8jbsY74

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, you guys remember the comic that put Kong as Batman and Godzilla as Superman?

The third issue of the comic prequel/sequel to Skull Island revealed the origin of Kong and well...

FYI this book series is pretty good/fun. It follows a Monarch team going back to Skull Island (in the 90's) to evaluate if Kong is still king or if they need to start taking steps to prevent poo poo from getting out. They use flashbacks to show Kong's origin and has more fun with the Skull Island monsters and people.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm not sure if that one's it. I showed it to the girlfriend and she informed me that "Godzilla stomps through this guy's house and he gets really pissed and starts yelling at Godzilla."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxzAXaJOtU

This is the other one that comes to mind that fits that, though it's not a real trailer. It's a dream sequence in an otherwise unrelated movie

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Burkion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxzAXaJOtU

This is the other one that comes to mind that fits that, though it's not a real trailer. It's a dream sequence in an otherwise unrelated movie

My gods man you found it! Glory to you!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

My gods man you found it! Glory to you!

I have an encyclopedic memory of all things Godzilla

Once I discounted all possible Real Godzilla movies, I went to the Imaginary Godzilla movies

Next was going to be the Secondary Imaginary Godzilla movies.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Burkion posted:

I have an encyclopedic memory of all things Godzilla

Once I discounted all possible Real Godzilla movies, I went to the Imaginary Godzilla movies

Next was going to be the Secondary Imaginary Godzilla movies.

Bless you and your encyclopaedic memory.

Also, imaginary movies? Zuh?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

Bless you and your encyclopaedic memory.

Also, imaginary movies? Zuh?

Well like I said, this wasn't a real Godzilla movie. It was a cameo in a dream sequence in a movie that had nothing to do with Godzilla otherwise.

There are more things like this than you'd think! And then there are the commercials, and then there are the fan movies.

Christ is Godzilla VS The Kaiju Killer even still online anymore. Questions for later

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Godzilla vs. Cleveland! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla meees Bambi is still a top 5 Godzilla film for me.