Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Housh posted:

Is there a free disc burning software that can burn FLAC to CD R? My google search brings up sketchy options.

cdburnerxp, just make sure you click on "more download options" and then "Default installer
(Without installCore)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Don Lapre posted:

cdburnerxp, just make sure you click on "more download options" and then "Default installer
(Without installCore)"
There's a portable version too. Personally, I'd prefer that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Who burns Audio CDs anymore?! What fer?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

redeyes posted:

People who have cars without bluetooth, aux, or a tape deck but an integrated head unit.

There's a bit of a dark age in automotive head units in the late '00s and early '10s when integrated systems had caught on over DIN or DIN-like boxes but Bluetooth and aux weren't yet standard. People with those cars are pretty much SOL unless they want to get in to a big project.

Hell even some that are easily converted still don't look great. I can put a DIN unit in my E46 but it looks pretty lovely. Fortunately the factory aux is cheap and simple to retrofit on that particular car, but some older model of the OEM head unit don't support it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

People who have cars without bluetooth, aux, or a tape deck but an integrated head unit.

There's a bit of a dark age in automotive head units in the late '00s and early '10s when integrated systems had caught on over DIN or DIN-like boxes but Bluetooth and aux weren't yet standard. People with those cars are pretty much SOL unless they want to get in to a big project.

Hell even some that are easily converted still don't look great. I can put a DIN unit in my E46 but it looks pretty lovely. Fortunately the factory aux is cheap and simple to retrofit on that particular car, but some older model of the OEM head unit don't support it.

FM transmitter -> headphone jack. Or Cassette adapter if you have one. Burning CDs just sucks so bad. Condolences.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Just to get this out of the way, I know why UAC is super important and I will never, ever disable it.

But, I was wondering if there is any way/3rd party tool I can use to disable the UAC prompt on some specific applications, or even just a single shortcut somewhere to an application?
I've got some programs that bring up the UAC prompt every time I launch them, things that have to be run as administrator and stuff. The programs never really change, and I'm always going to give it permission. Anything like that out there? It's no big deal, but if I can do it then it'd be nice to do it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

redeyes posted:

Old lady next door scratched her simply red greatest hits cd. I'm helping her out. Wish I was kidding.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Housh posted:

Old lady next door scratched her simply red greatest hits cd. I'm helping her out. Wish I was kidding.

That's pretty sweet actually. Good for you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes posted:

FM transmitter -> headphone jack. Or Cassette adapter if you have one. Burning CDs just sucks so bad. Condolences.

FM transmitters sound like boiled butthole

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

BrainDance posted:

Just to get this out of the way, I know why UAC is super important and I will never, ever disable it.

But, I was wondering if there is any way/3rd party tool I can use to disable the UAC prompt on some specific applications, or even just a single shortcut somewhere to an application?
I've got some programs that bring up the UAC prompt every time I launch them, things that have to be run as administrator and stuff. The programs never really change, and I'm always going to give it permission. Anything like that out there? It's no big deal, but if I can do it then it'd be nice to do it.

You might be able to pull it off by enabling the built-in admin account and executing with runas /savecred /user:administrator [some program]. The built-in admin auto-elevates without a prompt last I checked and that should save the alternate credential for you.

Oh, or create a task scheduler job to execute the program elevated as your user and manually run it. That might do it too.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Last Chance posted:

The ones that go in-line between the antenna and the head unit are okay. That's how I had my SiriusXM hooked up before I got a new HU with bluetooth and started just streaming from my phone. They are a massive pain in the rear end to install, though, since you have to pull the radio and route the cable out from some gap.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

I used fm transmitters for a few years (like ten years ago; I'm sure it might be a little better now) before deciding that an mp3 cd sounded better, didn't require replacing the transmitter every few months from broken heat-weakened cables, was way less hassle, and didn't give a casual thief the thought "hmm there are a lot of electronics over there, wonder what else I can find in the glovebox etc"

I ended up replacing my head unit with one that had bluetooth, which has been working out great, but before that I was looking at some of those newer aftermarket bluetooth kits by anker etc which seemed pretty good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

The ones that go in-line between the antenna and the head unit are okay. That's how I had my SiriusXM hooked up before I got a new HU with bluetooth and started just streaming from my phone. They are a massive pain in the rear end to install, though, since you have to pull the radio and route the cable out from some gap.

I had one of those, but I still had some interference and it was terrible

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

Depends on your local FM environment and how much you spend on the transmitter - but usually buying one of the real nice ones costs the same as getting one of those car audio places to install some manner of aux jack to use with an existing head unit. So it becomes sorta pointless.

Like even if you have some weird car where replacing the head unit requires ripping out the whole middle of the dash and rewiring all the hvac controls etc, they can usually find a way to mount and switch in the aux jack to take over from the cassette deck or CD player input with a small switch on the dashboard so you can just use the existing unit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BrainDance posted:

Yeah like someone mentioned, I think using Scheduled Tasks might be the best bet.

Coincidentally I actually got a virus on Windows 10 a while back that injected ad pages into the browser, I could not for the life of my figure it out, and anti-virus software would wipe it but it would come back after a restart. Turned out it installed itself as a Scheduled Task to keep repairing itself, I removed that and have been clean as a whistle since.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BrainDance posted:

Use a scheduled task that listens for a specific event, then use PowerShell to send the event.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

BrainDance posted:

My solution for this kind of issues is to start a Command Prompt or Task Manager elevated and then start the program from there.

fishmech posted:

Depends on your local FM environment and how much you spend on the transmitter - but usually buying one of the real nice ones costs the same as getting one of those car audio places to install some manner of aux jack to use with an existing head unit. So it becomes sorta pointless.

Like even if you have some weird car where replacing the head unit requires ripping out the whole middle of the dash and rewiring all the hvac controls etc, they can usually find a way to mount and switch in the aux jack to take over from the cassette deck or CD player input with a small switch on the dashboard so you can just use the existing unit.

I've installed a CD changer adapter on my car to get a AUX input. Just choose CD changer from the head unit and it will keep playing the first track of the first CD endlessly. Unfortunately this is probably a rare option. Mine was built by some swedish Saab enthusiast and cost ~150€, but the install took only 15 minutes.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Lots of cars have cd changer or tape ports. Get an aux in adapter that plugs into that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Saukkis posted:

I've installed a CD changer adapter on my car to get a AUX input. Just choose CD changer from the head unit and it will keep playing the first track of the first CD endlessly. Unfortunately this is probably a rare option. Mine was built by some swedish Saab enthusiast and cost ~150€, but the install took only 15 minutes.

Lol Saab. It probably won't be such an issue if you have a more common car - the CD changer emulator for my Mazda 3 cost like $20 and I'm sure it would have been cheaper had I bothered to shop around.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Retro game weirdos also burn discs still. There are optical drive emulators for most old systems now, but compatibility isn't 100%, and some systems don't have one yet. Simple to just burn a CD or DVD when you need to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
And you guys try leaving a cassette adapter of your mix tape you put together for your crush and see how it goes

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

xamphear posted:

Retro game weirdos also burn discs still. There are optical drive emulators for most old systems now, but compatibility isn't 100%, and some systems don't have one yet. Simple to just burn a CD or DVD when you need to.

Sega Dreamcast comes to mind. The loud grinding noise that the drive makes is kinda part of the experience.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Depending on how/why the program is getting elevated, maybe you can prevent it from running elevated at all. Some suggestions how to here.
Apart from the suggestions on that SU thread, you can also add to or modify the program file's manifest to force Windows to run it "asInvoker" i.e. in the current user context without any elevation.

E: Of course this depends on the program not actually requiring the administrator access.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 28, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

pofcorn posted:

Sega Dreamcast comes to mind. The loud grinding noise that the drive makes is kinda part of the experience.
The Dreamcast does not use CD or DVD, it uses the proprietary GD. :eng101:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Cheers to the goon friends on the previous page who helped out with my controller headset on W10 query, I got the adapter and everything works like a dream :)
Much better now that the only cable is the controller USB. I'll probably get a wireless adapter at some point and go totally cable-free.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

They had to fit the total lack of piracy protection in there somehow.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Lol you bet your rear end it can use burned CDs.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Medullah posted:

And you guys try leaving a cassette adapter of your mix tape you put together for your crush and see how it goes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mixxtape/mixxtape-the-cassette-reinvented

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/25/cassette_mp3_player/

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I'm going to switch to Linux for a while, but what do i need to keep a record of in case I need to reinstall windows?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Xeom posted:

I'm going to switch to Linux for a while, but what do i need to keep a record of in case I need to reinstall windows?

That windows key. Or, if you made a MS account, that account information (email/password). Or, better yet, forget everything and never install windows again.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Xeom posted:

BTW linux apps run on windows now, so you can do linux stuff while also having audio.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

BTW linux apps run on windows now, so you can do linux stuff while also having audio.

That's a new one ...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Volguus posted:

That's a new one ...

Literally. It's still in beta, so some stuff might not work right.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They had to fit the total lack of piracy protection in there somehow.

Actually, they did have protection; the workaround is, I believe, caused by the ability to boot CD+G, karaoke CDs. the way I remember it is that for whatever reason that if the Dreamcast detects one of these karaoke CDs, it will boot without checking the code. The last batches of Dreamcasts came without the ability to run CD+Gs...

Edit: It wasn't CD+G at all, I remembered it a touch incorrectly; it was MIL-CD, a spec designed by SEGA themselves to perform a similar function - multimedia demos and the like. So really, they screwed themselves in the creation of a gimmick format nobody used (other than for creating bootloaders for pirate games, of course).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 29, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I can't believe in 2017 in the 3rd major release of Windows 10 that this piece of poo poo OS can't immediately grab a local ipv6 address.

Everything Linux-based on my network saw it immediately, ranging from ESXi to FreeNAS. Windows 10 with all updates installed wouldn't grab an ipv6 address until I ran ipconfig /renew6. Also, I'm not alone on this problem - it's been widely reported for over a year. Also Windows 7 worked fine with ipv6. What the hell Microsoft?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Double Punctuation posted:

Literally. It's still in beta, so some stuff might not work right.

I wouldn't run server type stuff on it, and there's no native X layer... but for the most part, command line stuff runs fine. Anything that needs the GPU won't work.

For the most part, my entire workflow works fine in WSL.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know what Microsoft did to Edge, but since the last patch it has been dying on me on a fairly regular basis, especially when I have multiple windows open. I'm really hoping the next big update fixes it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

I can't believe in 2017 in the 3rd major release of Windows 10 that this piece of poo poo OS can't immediately grab a local ipv6 address.

Everything Linux-based on my network saw it immediately, ranging from ESXi to FreeNAS. Windows 10 with all updates installed wouldn't grab an ipv6 address until I ran ipconfig /renew6. Also, I'm not alone on this problem - it's been widely reported for over a year. Also Windows 7 worked fine with ipv6. What the hell Microsoft?

i dunno man, i have my network configured for ipv6 and haven't noticed any computers having any problems

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Housh posted:

Just walk next to her and sing "Holding Back the Years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've been hitting gently caress off on the "Let's cross this one of your list" update popup every day for literally weeks. How do I make it stop without giving in to its terroristic demands to restart.