Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Are all battleground games this loving boring? Every match is "run around for 15 minutes doing nothing and get one shot from someone you never see"

I like the opening scavenging phase, it ratchets up the tension imo

I'm really enjoying this game but I suspect it's because I never had a PUBG crew and this is scratching that itch. I'm still not sure when you should be building a base though since its impossible to know where he circle will end up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

AndrewP posted:

I like the opening scavenging phase, it ratchets up the tension imo

I'm really enjoying this game but I suspect it's because I never had a PUBG crew and this is scratching that itch. I'm still not sure when you should be building a base though since its impossible to know where he circle will end up?

At some point once it gets to <20 players the circle is small enough where you can start building in the center of it and wind up inside of the next one.

Most of the time though you just wind up gambling that your spot will be where the circle goes to.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Tei posted:

I think the Fortnite-PUBG will be improved if they add new dances, and make so the character can walk/run while dancing and the hitbox changed realistically while the character dance.

This will make it the best game ever, basically.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

I'm sorry, I should clarify that I'm playing this on ps4. It's probably why I've never encountered this type of feature before.

Fortnite Dev posted:

We are going to reduce time in lobby. We started out with a conservative value as we didn't know what people's load times would be in the wild.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/72xreu/anyone_else_starting_to_dislike_the_pre_game_lobby/dnm83bd/

Got your answer and solution in one post! :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Here's something I never found out in my time with Fortnite in general: how do you taunt/dance on KB+M? I looked through the keybinds and couldn't find poo poo but can see up on the dpad emotes on a controller.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Revolvers are ducking deadly in battle royale. I was getting pinged with an AR from so far away I could barely see the guy and all I had to return fire with was a revolver. I crouched and lined up a shot and killed the guy with 1 hit. So if you can't find a sniper, give revolvers a try for your long range work.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So the Battle Royal has been a load of fun, if anyone wants to squad up on Xbox, hit me up

By: D0ct0rAlanGrant

The first 7 or 8 minutes are tense and awesome, loving this version of the whole Pubg style. Just wish there was a way to quick drop items instead of going into menus and etc. With a controller, it can be kind of hinky sometimes

D0ct0rAlanGrant fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 28, 2017

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

explosivo posted:

Here's something I never found out in my time with Fortnite in general: how do you taunt/dance on KB+M? I looked through the keybinds and couldn't find poo poo but can see up on the dpad emotes on a controller.

B

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

dont forget to build walls on all sides :tif:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

Got your answer and solution in one post! :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks!

They do really need to figure out the looting mechanic in this, a huge pile of stuff from a dead player should be an amazing sight but it's always frustrating to see because I know I have to dance around and position myself so I get just the stuff I want and nothing else. No, I don't want that common pistol! :mad:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I mean there's like 10 items in the game so it's not very hard to know whats good

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean there's like 10 items in the game so it's not very hard to know whats good

He's talking about picking up what he actually wants in a pile of items.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

Thanks!

They do really need to figure out the looting mechanic in this, a huge pile of stuff from a dead player should be an amazing sight but it's always frustrating to see because I know I have to dance around and position myself so I get just the stuff I want and nothing else. No, I don't want that common pistol! :mad:

Yeah, I know it's harder on a controller but there has to be a better solution that this. And then making sure you're replacing the correct currently-equipped item.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Other places have pointed out that a slightly useful workaround ATM is to equip your pick and spam the loot button. You'll only pick up ammo and other non inventory slot stuff that way and that will hopefully make it easier to position for the rest of the stuff once the clutter is gone.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The wait-in-lobby is there 99% of the time to let everyone connect and load.
Not everyone's machine is able to load the game quickly - just because they connected doesn't meant they're ready to go.
The 1:20 buffer is there to let everyone actually be in and loaded and ready to go so that you don't pop out of a loading screen into a bus that's halfway across the map.

Oh hey there already answered above.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

The wait-in-lobby is there 99% of the time to let everyone connect and load.
Not everyone's machine is able to load the game quickly - just because they connected doesn't meant they're ready to go.
The 1:20 buffer is there to let everyone actually be in and loaded and ready to go so that you don't pop out of a loading screen into a bus that's halfway across the map.

Oh hey there already answered above.

But as the company already admitted it was way too long therefor the complaints are completely valid.

This game desperately needs to fix it's bloom mechanic for shooting. It's infuriating to perfectly aim a crouched shot and see a bullet fly off at a weird angle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And also, while it makes sense on pc, it doesn't make nearly as much sense on console.

I have no idea how people see so far in this game. People are making insane shots with unscoped rifles, I can barely even see them.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

The way the armor works, the limited inventory slots and bandages only taking you to 75% are actually pretty cool. It almost feels like I'm playing a survival game, and not a H1Z1/PUBG type game where armor and medkits are literally everywhere.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely addictid to this game, but I'm not sure if I like it yet, and I'm total garbage at it. I feel like I'm perpetually squinting into the distance.

I've probably killed 8 people in like 20 matches.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
In PUBG I'd tell people to people in order to get better, you're going to have to play overly aggressive for a while. The same applies here. Go for kills instead of first place, you'll learn how to play to a point where you can properly form a game plan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think my biggest problem with this battleground style game is that to play optimally is to play in the most boring rear end way possible. The fun moments are too few and far between unless you start in a populated area but then you might as well flip a coin to see if you make it past 2 minutes (then sit in lobby for 3)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Agoat posted:

In PUBG I'd tell people to people in order to get better, you're going to have to play overly aggressive for a while. The same applies here. Go for kills instead of first place, you'll learn how to play to a point where you can properly form a game plan.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I'm just having trouble trading AR shots at ranges where my crosshairs covers the target.

I also wish that melee wasn't so completely useless. It would help the "didn't find a gun for 5 minutes" problem if getting the drop on soneone meant you could beat them.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Ya. The PUBG thread has a discussion about aggressive v. passive all the time. When I first started playing PUBG, my instinct was to play passive, but an aggressive strategy usually ends up getting you further.

If you play passive you are more likely to get shot in the back.

If you play aggressive, you might die more, but you'll die because you missed your shots.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

bug chaser chaser posted:

dont forget to build walls on all sides :tif:

What stops someone from just breaking the narrow path supporting your floating platform and dropping you to the ground?

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Snak posted:

I'm sorry, I should clarify that I'm playing this on ps4. It's probably why I've never encountered this type of feature before.

Pretty much any multiplayer game that has rounds has a wait period before the start of a round. You must be new to pvp multi games that arent an mmo. Granted the wait may be a bit to long.

wjs5 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 28, 2017

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

This game is fun :q: My friends and I have had decent luck assuming at least 2 of us survive the initial scramble.

The guy who died directly in front of me was hacking down the wall and so was I, he ran out wildly swinging his mining tool while I switched to a gun. Rip Miner Dude.

edit: Here's what the parasol you get for winning looks like:

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 28, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

wjs5 posted:

Pretty much any multiplayer game that has rounds has a wait period before the start of a round. You must be new to pvp multi games that arent an mmo.

I just came from Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2, neither of which have that.

I don't really play mmos? I don't really understand the hostility that I'm getting here.

Edit: besides, my original comment was simply that the period seemed a) arbitrary and b) too long and the devs agree. So there's no problem.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 28, 2017

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Great Beer posted:

What stops someone from just breaking the narrow path supporting your floating platform and dropping you to the ground?

Nothing, it's funny as hell to shoot down a bridge and see the resulting splat in the killfeed

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Snak posted:

I just came from Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2, neither of which have that.

I don't really play mmos? I don't really understand the hostility that I'm getting here.

Edit: besides, my original comment was simply that the period seemed a) arbitrary and b) too long and the devs agree. So there's no problem.

Battlefield does have a wait period before the start of a round though, yes it may have been to long but it is normal to have a wait period on a server before a round starts.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

TJChap2840 posted:

Ya. The PUBG thread has a discussion about aggressive v. passive all the time. When I first started playing PUBG, my instinct was to play passive, but an aggressive strategy usually ends up getting you further.

If you play passive you are more likely to get shot in the back.

If you play aggressive, you might die more, but you'll die because you missed your shots.

Being aggressive is fun and all, but being so passive that you can win without killing anybody is also pretty fun(ny):

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

interpunct posted:

Being aggressive is fun and all, but being so passive that you can win without killing anybody is also pretty fun(ny):

That's certainly an interesting style to try. I would go insane if I did that, but I'm not knocking it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

That sounds pretty reasonable. I'm just having trouble trading AR shots at ranges where my crosshairs covers the target.

I also wish that melee wasn't so completely useless. It would help the "didn't find a gun for 5 minutes" problem if getting the drop on soneone meant you could beat them.

Don't go full auto. Tap at range. Also try landing on roofs with guns on them.

Edit: I stream in the evenings if you'd like to stop in and watch. I can explain what I do.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Agoat posted:

Don't go full auto. Tap at range. Also try landing on roofs with guns on them.

Edit: I stream in the evenings if you'd like to stop in and watch. I can explain what I do.

Tapping at range doesn't work well on the "M16". They really need to fix that weapon. The burst fire (looks kind of like an AK) AR does a lot of work though.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

TJChap2840 posted:

Tapping at range doesn't work well on the "M16". They really need to fix that weapon. The burst fire (looks kind of like an AK) AR does a lot of work though.

I can usually hit a shot or two per burst, and apparently each shot does the same damage as a semi-auto? It's odd and very expensive to shoot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The gunplay is so loving bad in this game and the building is so barebones that the long buildup and short bursts of action just doesn't payoff and feels arbitrary.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bottom Liner posted:

The gunplay is so loving bad in this game and the building is so barebones that the long buildup and short bursts of action just doesn't payoff and feels arbitrary.

So you expect ARMA gun play and the ability to produce Sistine Chapels in a f2p game? lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

de_dust posted:

So you expect ARMA gun play and the ability to produce Sistine Chapels in a f2p game? lol

yes that is exactly what I said

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The game really just needs a bit more mobility. Less hip fire spread and movement penalties when shooting would add a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bottom Liner posted:

yes that is exactly what I said

that's why I typed it

• Locked thread