Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I'm getting quite good at taking backs but I'm absolute poo poo at finishing from there. It's getting annoying.

Once you're good at the choke itself the next trick is to just have one good handfighting sequence, I think. And once you're happy with it, maybe have one sequence for the 'good' side and one for the 'bad' side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Work on your armbar-Kimura sequence from there if you're frustrated with chokes. Like with coming back from a layoff sometimes it is better to take a break so you can return to it with a fresh mind. You don't have to bang your head into a wall if you aren't making the progress you wanted.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

CommonShore posted:

I've twice made people tap when they body triangled me and managed to tuck the foot. If the lock is on my right side, I roll to the right, put my left foot on their right foot to free it from behind my knee and pin it to the ground, and then get my right foot there too and hip up.

easy money aaayyyyyyyyyyy.

When I was a white belt in judo, too new to even know the rules, I was rolling with a blackbelt. He took my back and crossed his ankles in front of me. I had seen a Gracie YouTube that specifically taught the ankle lock in that situation. As he sinks in a choke I remembered the video and crossed my ankles over his and arched back.

He took it well, explained the rules to me and said he should have known better than to cross his feet.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Had a great experience tonight:

Rolled with a three stripe white belt that was apparently a somewhat decorated college wrestler. I'm a brown belt myself and a former wrestler but this kid is 22 and I haven't wrestled since, like, 2008. He's fresh off the mats. Fine. He doubles me pretty hard, takes me off my feet, lands, grabs my arm, and tries to brute force a key lock from side control. Alright. He goes so fast and so hard that he actually injured my shoulder. After a second or two I swept him and told him to slow down since it's just training he responds with "train like you fight, man"

Holy poo poo, I've never been so loving angry in my entire grappling career. Anyway, my girlfriend prophetically put the ice packs back in the freezer yesterday morning so I now have an excuse to play Destiny all weekend.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

omg chael crash posted:

Rolled with a three stripe white belt that was apparently a somewhat decorated college wrestler. I'm a brown belt myself and a former wrestler but this kid is 22 and I haven't wrestled since, like, 2008. He's fresh off the mats. Fine. He doubles me pretty hard, takes me off my feet, lands, grabs my arm, and tries to brute force a key lock from side control. Alright. He goes so fast and so hard that he actually injured my shoulder. After a second or two I swept him and told him to slow down since it's just training he responds with "train like you fight, man"

Holy poo poo, I've never been so loving angry in my entire grappling career. Anyway, my girlfriend prophetically put the ice packs back in the freezer yesterday morning so I now have an excuse to play Destiny all weekend.

The years/age don't add up but that sucks. My goondolences.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, I'm not actually sure how old he is. I waited a while to go college and then took longer than normal so I'm not actually sure what college age is

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

omg chael crash posted:

Did you loving light him up after that? We haven't had a guy like that in a while but in the past we've done some attitude corrections.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How does an attitude correction work, exactly?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

The kid probably really needs it and he may end hurting someone but we're pretty chill in California. I hope he goes over to Ralph's or something and someone loving mauls him

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If someone is training unsafely or inappropriately, they get taken aside and talked to. Perhaps, it's out of lack of knowledge and some counseling will help. If someone continues to behave that way i.e. they are unwilling to conform to the safety rules, then they get green lit. Then they get to roll with the senior guys only and all the niceties are off. No one will deliberately injure them but each roll will be at full pace typically comp pace. Everyone does it differently but I prefer 5 straight minutes of full pressure control with no subs. They can calm the gently caress down or exhaust themselves spazzing. That's way nicer than how some guys will handle them.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I believe it's called an Attitude Adjustment and it's basically just a death valley driver

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
This reminds me, have you ever tried to show a move to someone upon their request... and then they try to take advantage of you not being ready to do something on you... and then if they're successful they equate that to "beating" you as if it were "real?"

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
People get weird sometimes. One of our kids was legitimately upset at BJJ when an older guy who dropped in turned out to be a D1 wrestler like 20 years ago. He was all butthurt that he "got sandbagged."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nickmeister posted:

This reminds me, have you ever tried to show a move to someone upon their request... and then they try to take advantage of you not being ready to do something on you... and then if they're successful they equate that to "beating" you as if it were "real?"

All the time but that's how we horse around at our club. I guess that doesn't mean we're treating it as if it's real.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

nickmeister posted:

Are you training with children?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Somehow all of this reminds me that I haven't updated on No-Submission BJJ for a while.

Things are going well, but I'm starting to plateau a bit on it. I'm getting much better at positional dominance, basically, against most of my training partners. I submitted another guy, semi-accidentally, in positional drills because he didn't react to my head wrap except by just sitting perfectly still, so I just kept slowly moving into a guillotine and he tapped. I also got into a fun war against a dude from an affiliate club in free rolls after the Jeremy Horn seminar. I locked up a D'arce after he heel hooked me three times (I didn't get it because he got his elbow outside of mine, but he complimented my squeeze and said that he was too tired to continue).

I guess the connection between bad training partners and this is that on Thursday I partnered up with a really rammy new bigger guy who kinda seemed a little bit :smugdog: that he had survived a round against me without getting tapped. I just really wanted to choke the poo poo out of him after that.

A couple of 200+ lb plus MMA guys who smash into arm triangles and kimuras still give me fits, and I have trouble getting out from underneath them. They have a low finishing %age on me, but I always end up going back and forth between half guard and side mount, taking turns defending both arms and the head-and-arm. I spent 3 straight minutes of one 5 minute round defending what amounts to a single arm triangle. I've been conscious of the Danaher concept that defending that must include some kind of counter attack, but I'm out of ideas when I'm down there, aside from blocking up the key lock.

Unrelated question - anyone have any experience with Bamboo Break gis? Are they a decent value for their price?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

CommonShore posted:

The years/age don't add up but that sucks. My goondolences.

Wait — are you saying that this is STDH? Because that's hurtful, grapplbro

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

omg chael crash posted:

Wait — are you saying that this is STDH? Because that's hurtful, grapplbro

No

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I’m 6ft 2” 79kg which size gi should I get A2 or A3?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

If someone is training unsafely or inappropriately, they get taken aside and talked to. Perhaps, it's out of lack of knowledge and some counseling will help. If someone continues to behave that way i.e. they are unwilling to conform to the safety rules, then they get green lit. Then they get to roll with the senior guys only and all the niceties are off. No one will deliberately injure them but each roll will be at full pace typically comp pace. Everyone does it differently but I prefer 5 straight minutes of full pressure control with no subs. They can calm the gently caress down or exhaust themselves spazzing. That's way nicer than how some guys will handle them.

I find the idea of the gym 'enforcer' fascinating. It's a really weird idea when you stop to consider it. Is the idea to dazzle and confound people so that they're impressed by you and will imitate your calm attitude? Is the idea to bully bullies? Does that even have any effect? Mat justice is kind of an absurd concept... justice itself is kind of an absurd concept, really. I suppose the highest priority is to keep your gym a safe training environment for others. I enjoy slaying giants, and I enjoy testing myself on berserker-beginners, so it's a role I've always aspired to, but the more I think about it, the weirder the whole idea gets.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If some dipshit wants to injure their training partners because they're too aggro to train properly then yeah, they need to feel what it's like to be the nail and not the hammer. Or you kick them out and they go somewhere else to do the same thing.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I’m 6ft 2” 79kg which size gi should I get A2 or A3?

A3 maybe A2L

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I find the idea of the gym 'enforcer' fascinating. It's a really weird idea when you stop to consider it. Is the idea to dazzle and confound people so that they're impressed by you and will imitate your calm attitude? Is the idea to bully bullies? Does that even have any effect? Mat justice is kind of an absurd concept... justice itself is kind of an absurd concept, really. I suppose the highest priority is to keep your gym a safe training environment for others. I enjoy slaying giants, and I enjoy testing myself on berserker-beginners, so it's a role I've always aspired to, but the more I think about it, the weirder the whole idea gets.
It's highly effective with a 100% cure rate. Some people cannot verbally be taught to roll safely and reasonably. Some have to learn physically. No one gets green lit without verbal counseling and a fair opportunity to self correct. I've only seen 3 types of resolutions: (i) change the way they behave, (ii) quit, (iii) go to hospital and then change their behavior or quit once they are out. Spazzy white belts are basically never the subject of green lighting. They are acting out of ignorance and can be taught. It's typically some colored belt from somewhere else who is coming here.

The only other way to get green lit is to be a visitor to our academy and be incredibly disrespectful and talk poo poo about how everyone sucks and how our brown belts would be blues at your home academy and refuse to listen to the instructor and chat while he is trying to instruct and completely ignore any rules.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 1, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I mean I get what you're saying but I think you're thinking about it too much. It's just a way of saying "hey cool it" when words might have failed. I've seen it happen about three times or so and I'll admit I get some perverse joy in it (because the offenders have universally been dickheads or at the very least they've trained long enough to know better). The idea is to effortlessly own someone while laying it a little to show them A- they don't need to be going fullblast nogi world finals with people without regards to safety to be effective (especially against whitebelts to get their "wins") and B- to give them a taste of what they've been doing to others if they've done some rear end in a top hat type stuff.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Yuns posted:

It's typically some colored belt from somewhere else who is coming here.

Yeah which when you think about it makes it extra disrespectful to be behaving like an rear end or even worse dangerously as a guest somewhere.

Yuns posted:

The only other way to get green lit is to be a visitor to our academy and be incredibly disrespectful and talk poo poo about how everyone sucks and how our brown belts would be blues at your home academy and refuse to listen to the instructor and chat while he is trying to instruct and completely ignore any rules.

I've never witnessed this lol. That's an absurd level of unawareness

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Seltzer posted:

I've never witnessed this lol. That's an absurd level of unawareness
I have a story about this from one of my friends. A new school had opened up and he was asked to be interim chief instructor. A ton of people signed up the first week. Lots of new guys but also experienced grapplers who had come from other schools. He had some purple belts there his first week clown on him while he was instructing. When he stopped to ask them if there was an issue, they said that they weren't learning anything and essentially that his class was a joke. My buddy asked them to roll during the rolling portion of the class and took their belts after the roll. Busting each one down a rank.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 1, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

I have a story about this from one of my friends. A new school had opened up and he was asked to be interim chief instructor. A ton of people signed up the first week. Lots of new guys but also experienced grapplers who had come from other schools. He had some purple belts there his first week clown on him while he was instructing. When he stopped to ask them if there was an issue, they said that they weren't learning anything and essentially that his class was a joke. My buddy asked them to roll during the rolling portion of the class and took their belts after the roll. Busting each one down a rank.

:psypop:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
How the hell did they make it to purple if they couldn't make it through a week of, I assume, fundamentals? The first week at a new gym. What the gently caress?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

How the hell did they make it to purple if they couldn't make it through a week of, I assume, fundamentals? The first week at a new gym. What the gently caress?

Hyper athletic dudes with a tiny bit of wrestling background could probably skate up to high blue/purple in some gyms just on the basis they can whip a lot of people once they learn a small amount of submissions and how not to get triangled/armbarred. I've met a handful of people like this and a smaller amount who have a gigantic ego problem who frown upon learning anything really basic in a class setting.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 1, 2017

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They weren't unskilled grapplers but they were tremendous jerks. Not sure why they thought talking poo poo to a 2nd degree BB in his own gym was a good idea.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone got good tricks for making people put one leg up or go to standing to pass? I've been working shin to shin guard stuff for the last few months, and I've been successful with it, but the gym has adjusted and now for the most part people will generally refuse to put the leg up for anything and basically try to single weave or double under pass me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Yuns posted:

They weren't unskilled grapplers but they were tremendous jerks. Not sure why they thought talking poo poo to a 2nd degree BB in his own gym was a good idea.

I just mean, like, they should be used to going to those kinds of classes from years of going to those kinds of classes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

KildarX posted:

Anyone got good tricks for making people put one leg up or go to standing to pass? I've been working shin to shin guard stuff for the last few months, and I've been successful with it, but the gym has adjusted and now for the most part people will generally refuse to put the leg up for anything and basically try to single weave or double under pass me.

Do you mean shin-to-shin guard? I hope nobody at your club knows how to do a shinlock.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

KildarX posted:

They're just keeping both knees down? Handfight to butterfly, they can't run away. Alternatively spider now allows you to gently caress with them way worse for the same reason.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Yuns posted:

In my case, the kid had the hardest New York City accent I've ever heard out west. It's likely your fault

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

omg chael crash posted:

In my case, the kid had the hardest New York City accent I've ever heard out west. It's likely your fault

He was probably from New Jersey

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

omg chael crash posted:

We have a good number of meathead wrestlers in the northeast so I accept responsibility on behalf of NY/NJ/CT. Did anyone do no gi pans this weekend?

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

KildarX posted:

I play Eddie Bravo's lockdown half guard all the time. Nobody wants to put that knee on the mat. I'm basically always having the opposite fight as you. I try to get people broken down from standing and get that knee down. I don't get that for free anymore. Maybe if you start locking their legs down and hitting electric chairs, they'll be more inclined to get their knees off the mat.

Since it's basically half guard or nothing for me at this point, I've been thinking about which direction to go guard-wise. After reading your post, and watching some youtube videos, I'm liking this shin to shin idea.

This video in particular has Michelle Nicolini hitting sweeps where I'm normally killing myself to turn sitting or quarter guard into the half guard that I want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmdjP-ABV_M

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

FreakyMetalKid posted:

This video in particular has Michelle Nicolini hitting sweeps where I'm normally killing myself to turn sitting or quarter guard into the half guard that I want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmdjP-ABV_M

Curious - you adapting this Nicolini type stuff to no gi at all, or just doing it in the gi? My class was working with a similar sweep recently but I was out on no gi day and not sure whether we tried a modified version.

Currently been out for a few days with a jacked neck. Got reversed from mount and I thought I'd be able to post and take the guy's back, but he snatched up my hand at the last second and I got kinda caught in between and forehead planted.

I have a long elegant pencil neck that's rather prone to these kinds of things, but this was a pretty nasty one and got me thinking about whether neck strengthening is worthwhile. Anyone have experience building a sturdier neck with bridging or harnesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Decades posted:

Curious - you adapting this Nicolini type stuff to no gi at all, or just doing it in the gi? My class was working with a similar sweep recently but I was out on no gi day and not sure whether we tried a modified version.

Despite my affinity for 10th Planet moves, I actually train at a gym that is all gi. Every now and then we'll take the pajamas off for a few rounds at open mat, but otherwise I'm doing everything with a gi on. Also, I only just came to the realization that I want to try those Nicolini moves. I haven't really incorporated them yet.