Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh, yeah, we don't want the spear we need the spear. Come back and set up the payment plan next weekend or something.

That spear will be a treasured possession. Imagine Fuzzy with decent Quickness. Unless I'm wrong she's a Mystic Adept? She'll be a terrifying little monster once she's grown into her power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Toughy posted:

So becoming literate is a big help plus it'd be easier for our friends to help us develop a higher reading lvl. Sasha should be able to help us with that headstart.

Also if I knew spearKnife was an option for reward I would have been all over taking the etiquette roll, drat

I think the rewards from a "shadowrun" should reflect what we did in the run. Go violent and hardass? Get spear knife. Heal the dear even though non-violence and healing are strange to us? Get a stun bolt. Fuzzy reflects our choices after all. This is just me putting it on the back end for our choices rather than the front end.

We totally can get that spear though for 200 nuyen down 200 nuyen a month. Fixed plan. No APR. :v:

Hexenritter posted:

That spear will be a treasured possession. Imagine Fuzzy with decent Quickness. Unless I'm wrong she's a Mystic Adept? She'll be a terrifying little monster once she's grown into her power.

Yeah. Mystic adepts are little powerhouses. Adept skills can be about stealth, charisma, combat, movement (like you're in the movie The Matrix), all that poo poo. What classes we'll choose to take is actually coming up in another few posts as we'll have our choice.

AND she can cast spells and summon spirits.

She won't have the skills of a dedicated magician or a dedicated adept. She's an all rounder character.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
I think that Fuzzy doesn't really... 'get' the kiss. She doesn't even have the context of a mother or father to inform her what a relationship even is. She's just now starting to come to terms with the idea of someone's hand resting gently on her shoulder being safe.

So, I think it's the sort of thing that needs processing. Whether/if she's attracted to anyone isn't something she's even properly aware of yet. This'll probably be the first big push into that soul-searching, though.

So, automatic forgiveness and a totally clueless lack of understanding of what that kiss actually meant.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Look, we can, will, and must buy spearknife. The same can't be said for getting access to a (weak) offensive magical spell and being better friends with Sasha. Plus, next time we go hunting with Sasha, we can just stun all the deer unconscious and gather them into a giant deerpile.

Also, while we'll obviously be doing a lot of our reading learning with Mother Bear, I want our Extracurricular Literacy Lessons to be with Marco. He seems like a guy with the kind of patience to be a good teacher.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

poo poo, can we get it this weekend? We definitely want it, and it would save us the trip next time.

Plus, we'll have it on hand if Christina needs any extracurricular education.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think the rewards from a "shadowrun" should reflect what we did in the run. Go violent and hardass? Get spear knife. Heal the dear even though non-violence and healing are strange to us? Get a stun bolt. Fuzzy reflects our choices after all. This is just me putting it on the back end for our choices rather than the front end.

We totally can get that spear though for 200 nuyen down 200 nuyen a month. Fixed plan. No APR. :v:

The rewards reflecting the run is a cool idea. Rather than going "great, you stealthed your way into the Aztechnology compound and stole the macguffin, here's a panther assault cannon and a case of RDX rounds", it gives tangible benefit to cultivating a particular approach. The loot compliments the character.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let's become literate.

And yeah conflicted on the kiss. I don't think Fuzzy has ever thought about romance or boys or girls in that way ever so it's not like she has any preconceived notions on most of it. Though we may start thinking more about what Sasha's mom said to us before in a different light

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Currently pondering if I'll make this a web serial CYOA. Keep it here too though. I want to make sure I can keep the same quality that I'm producing now long term before I do. The pace is fast but I like it and if I need to slow down I will to prevent burnout.

Looks like Fuzzy is getting spear that's a knife. It'll eat into the nuyen we get each month for the rest of the CYOA (I plan it to last the school year) but everyone seems okay with that. This will mean that we'll have to find ways to hustle if we want to buy more gear though.

After the next post I'm going to see if I can make some headway on finishing Fuzzy's character sheet. I was holding off on it, but I feel like we've established who she is and what her strengths are by now.

Looks like we're going to become literate. This won't be immediate though, I will say it will happen fast. With time, dedication, help and 65 years of advances in teaching methods I think two months should get her up to a fourth grade level. Plus Fuzzy is smart. She really only needs to be told things once before she gets them and she can grasp moderately challenging abstract concepts. I saw a vote for asking Marco so I'll see if I can work him in. :)

I see conflicted on the kiss. I imagine Fuzzy really hasn't seen relationships before and while she knows the kiss makes her feel deeply confused, she won't know what to make of it.

Writing now.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yeah. Mystic adepts are little powerhouses. Adept skills can be about stealth, charisma, combat, movement (like you're in the movie The Matrix), all that poo poo. What classes we'll choose to take is actually coming up in another few posts as we'll have our choice.

AND she can cast spells and summon spirits.

She won't have the skills of a dedicated magician or a dedicated adept. She's an all rounder character.

Yeah I was just reading up on 5e and Mystic Adepts and drat, Increase Reflexes, Combat Sense, Enhanced Accuracy, Enhance Attribute, Missile Mastery, Killing Hands (even when they take my new spear I'm not unarmed), Critical Strike, Mystic Armor Flexibility, Wall-Running, Voice Control, Face Sculpt... she's going to be spoilt for choice.

I really need to catch up with the current iteration of the game.

:siren: :woop: :woop: :dance: :woop: :woop: :siren:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Besides, a little good-natured joshing never hurt anyone. :D

:respek:

Hexenritter posted:

. . . called Svetlana that i only feed Russian ammo . . .

Good name. :)

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think our big priority right now is getting literate.

Agreed. Reading is FUNdamental!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think the rewards from a "shadowrun" should reflect what we did in the run.

Agreed, that way we'll actually appreciate our rewards.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hexenritter posted:

That spear will be a treasured possession.

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh, yeah, we don't want the spear we need the spear. Come back and set up the payment plan next weekend or something.

Hexenritter posted:

200 new ends a month is doable, after all:

No. I don't agree with saddling Fuzzy with debt. :colbert:

Bless it, missed the comments period!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Currently pondering if I'll make this a web serial CYOA. Keep it here too though. I want to make sure I can keep the same quality that I'm producing now long term before I do.

Hey, the more people that get to read it, the better. Although I'm not familiar with that format, do you publish it on a website somewhere? Is that what it means?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

But you're not living the American dream unless you're up to your eyeballs in debt, right? Right?

:smithicide:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hexenritter posted:

But you're not living the American dream unless you're up to your eyeballs in debt, right? Right?

:smithicide:

Fuzzy should learn to read with a copy of Kapital

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
That spear would be so much cheaper if we had just saved up for it :eng99:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ah, the impetuosity of youth (and also poor financial savvy) :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Is it almost twice as expensive on the payment plan? Yes. But we get it two months earlier, and that's what teenagers care about.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Is it almost twice as expensive on the payment plan? Yes. But we get it two months earlier, and that's what teenagers care about.

plus the "Diana Deluxe" version comes with a chibi figurine and a plinth!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

plus the "Diana Deluxe" version comes with a chibi figurine and a plinth!

Negative. "Diana Deluxe" comes with a lasso and a leather skirt.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Negative. "Diana Deluxe" comes with a lasso and a leather skirt.

:whip:

Sounds like that one's firmly going in the not-PG pile then

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

:whip:

Sounds like that one's firmly going in the not-PG pile then

Yeah alright. Its one thing to be a :pervert:

Its another if YOU just have a dirty mind. :colbert:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Yeah alright. Its one thing to be a :pervert:

Its another if YOU just have a dirty mind. :colbert:

A lifetime of British innuendo, a sixteen year old forums account, tastefulness gland permanently stuck at an inner city upbringing "several steps too far"... it can't be helped.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fuzzy and Sasha - August 12th - Sunday Afternoon - Ares Marcotechnology Arcology

"I can't read it, but maybe you could teach me?" asked Fuzzy.

Sasha turned her gaze back to Fuzzy’s, enough that she could see one of Sasha’s eyes. Sasha managed a small smile.

"You'd want me to? After what I did?" she asked.

Fuzzy sucked on her newly clean teeth. It was such a treat to have clean teeth, she realized.

"Well...Yeah. You're my best friend," said Fuzzy.

Sasha's new blush spread so far it began to burn her ears. She clutched them in an attempt to hide those feelings of hers.

"I don't understand feelings that well. This is the first time I've had the time for them. I scrabbled for what I had. I negotiate hard for everything. Every nuyen mattered. I have feelings. I'm not a stone. I just never had the luxury to listen to them. So now everything is new. I do a dozen new things every day,” Fuzzy, said, quietly, “Feelings aren't new, but understanding them will take time. Maybe they’ll take a long time. I don't know my feelings. I don't know what I don't know. Can we come back to it sometime?"

Sasha nodded vigorously, though with her hands still over her ears. That sight made Fuzzy smile.

"Yes, we can come back to it," said Sasha, relief easy to hear in her voice, "Definitely."

Sasha was relieved because she hadn't screwed up despite her best attempts. That relief was made double because she wasn't being rejected, at least not yet. Someone more in touch with their feelings would know what Fuzzy wanted deep down, and would've told her to stop dragging this out. However, being young and inexperienced meant she couldn't do a kindness for her friend. Instead she did something cruel by accident. She gave her hope, but no answers.

"So about..." began Fuzzy.

"Yes, I'll teach you the spell," said Sasha, excitedly. "Ares has a lodge we can use. You have to have a lodge to learn but I can get access to it for free."

Fuzzy's eyebrows rose and she cracked a smile.

"So about learning how to read," Fuzzy finished, "That's a good one too though."

Sasha realized belatedly what Fuzzy was actually asking for and fidgeted nervously.

"I'm not sure if I'd be as good at that, but yes, I can try to help you read," she said, though far less excited this time.

"Come on. Learning a spell is hard. If everyone could learn spells it should take a while. How hard can learning to read actually be?" said Fuzzy, arrogantly.

Sasha chuckled anxiously in response.

"I'm sure if you work hard you'll...Uh...Learn how to read in no time," she said, unconvincingly.

Fuzzy and Sasha - August 12th - Sunday afternoon - Ares Macrotechnology Arcology, Artemis Hunting Supplies

"Two-hundred nuyen down is too much," said Fuzzy, angrily, "You and I both know that the Pilum is good, but Cougar will give me a better price."

Fuzzy was bickering with a new salesman today. She wasn't able to find that blandly handsome young man with the skills. Instead today there was a blandly handsome elf in similar clothes. It seemed that the men hired here had a "look".

"I'm sorry, miss. The price is the price. I'm not authorized to negotiate. We can get you on an accelerated payment plan that will cost you less than the longer plan," he said.

Fuzzy broke down on her way out the door late Sunday evening. She wanted the spear knife. She wanted it bad. A spear that she could conceal at her hip was a very useful spear indeed. She was already wondering what would happen if she struck a target and made the magic spear grow from a knife into a spear. Would it unbalance them? What about if she changed it into a staff? Would it pop out of the wound? She had so many questions. She would learn its secrets.

Fuzzy ground her teeth. She'd went in alone and had been arguing with this man for twenty minutes. Despite being a haggler since she was barely taller than Rat Man's knee this man wouldn't budge. She decided not to take a different approach. Get freebies. However she couldn't get the skinning upgrade. She couldn't get a new quiver of arrows. No new bow strings. The price was the price said the salesman. The former SINless barrens girl strode away from him and began to swear loudly as she stalked about the fake gladiatorial ludus that was the demonstration area. It was like he didn't even want to make the sale. How stupid was he she asked herself. No, he was crafty. He had the leverage. All of it. He had the Pilum and she did not.

"How much for the skinning upgrade?" she asked, her tone furious.

"For just another twenty-five nuyen I can..."

She turned again and began doing something she did only when she was furious. She began swearing loudly in Rat Man's native tongue. So Fuzzy began to swear loudly in Spanish. The salesman wondered if he had to call corporate security when she finally rounded on him. This didn't keep him from making notations on her new corporate profile. "Knows Spanish, easily angered and tries to bargain,” he wrote.

"Two-thousand and twenty-five nuyen then. Fine, but it better be the best drat skinning knife I've ever had. Now can I get it in black or do you need some of my blood, too?" she growled.

"Blood won't be..." he began.

"I'll pay!" she snapped.

Twelve months, two-hundred and twenty-five nuyen down, she made her X and met up with Sasha. She tried to speak to Fuzzy but took a step back and got out of Fuzzy's way once she saw just how rip poo poo mad she was. Her teeth were bared and gritted so hard Sasha was surprised she didn't crack a tooth. Her eyes were intense with barely restrained tears of rage.

"What kind of merchant doesn't bargain? The price is the price? The price is the price?!" she growled, and wildly gesticulated with her hands, "Is he sure he didn't want to suck out my blood too? If he wants my blood he can take it from me!"

The spear that was a knife was at her hip though. However it was locked in its harmless sheathed mode until Fuzzy left the arcology. It was black, Fuzzy had gotten that much. Sasha wisely let Fuzzy cool down before speaking having never seen her temper before.

Fuzzy, Kenji, Sasha and Marco - August 13th - Monday Morning - Outdoor amphitheater - Blake Island

The teens sat at the benches while Sammy the salmon the augmented reality educational aid tap danced with his flippers across the stage. Apparently he wasn't designed for this stage and clipped through at the bottom. He spun a cane and a hat with AR flippers in a vaudeville cane dance that was old when their grandparents' grandparents were old and had since lost almost all cultural significance.

"Remember to be safe with your spells and don't forget to try out the newest, hottest social media sensation, Salmon Run!" Sammy said in a high, cheery voice as he shook his hat.

"I've died. I've died and this is hell," groaned Kenji, "I'm in hell right now, aren't I?"

“Give it time,” said Marco, irritably.

"Shhhh..." shushed Mother Bear.

It was then that the students were released from their torments and were allowed to mill about. Everyone was here, even Julie. Some sort of social witchcraft had been pulled to keep her at school despite being outed as having killed her father. Fuzzy didn't know whose doing it was and she didn't ask. Fuzzy got a number of looks as well. Hard, haughty looks, but she also got some congratulations as well. With Fuzzy's blessing and at Kenji's prompting the video of their hunt was released minus the kiss at the end. However this had an unintended consequence.

"I'm going through a remedial spell safety night course with Mother Bear," groaned Sasha. "She saw that video and saw that I overcast. I got yelled at."

"It was reckless," said Marco.

"Me too," said Julie, "Having to...Yeah."

"What? Why?" asked Sasha.

Julie looked around and lowered her head before she began to whisper.

"She said most people don't come in with the power I have and that I need to get a better grip on it. She thinks it'll be at least another two weeks, but she said it could take as long as six,” whispered Julie, “She says I have some discipline, but I need more of it and that I'm too powerful for my own good. They’re going to be night classes."

Everyone winced. Six weeks of night classes was no joke.

"She said that if I work at it I could initiate before the end of the year though," she added, "Only with her approval. I think me being considered some sort of prodigy is the only thing that's keeping me here after...You know."

"Whoa," said Marco.

"Holy poo poo," said Kenji.

"I'm so jealous," sighed Sasha.

"What?" asked Fuzzy.

"Big magic. Really big,” said Marco, “Most people don't initiate until college if ever. Julie, you're going to be strong.”

"I don't feel strong," said Julie, "I feel stupid."

"Well I'll be stupid right along with you," sighed Sasha.

Sasha began to panic at her loose tongue but Julie only chuckled.

"I'll have good company then," said Julie.

"Murderer," hissed someone as they passed.

Julie stiffened and her good mood was ruined just like that. There were too many students milling about to find the source.

"Well, time for you to sign up for your spell classes. Don't want to keep you," said Julie, woodenly.

She muscled out of the tight knot of her friends and acquaintances.

"So I've been thinking," said Kenji, "About how to help."

"Help?" scoffed Marco, "You call what you've done so far helping?"

"Yeah. In my experience, there’s no such thing as rock bottom. The ACHE taught me that. Things can always get worse," said Kenji, seriously.

"You think you're clever?" asked Marco, irritably.

"Sometimes. Sometimes not,” answered Kenji, “Today I think so. The secret is out. I'm okay. Fuzzy is doing okay...Ish. I say we send Julie up to the shame pole.”

"You're not funny," said Marco, testily.

'That's mean," said Fuzzy, "Do you want her to cry again?"

"Yes, I want her to cry again. I want her to tell her story if she's brave enough. People just got the police report. You and I heard her story, Marco. If she'd just done away with dear old dad with a kitchen knife you wouldn't be defending her right now. She acted in self defense and caved under her own guilt. Besides, who wouldn't want to hear her story? We've got a lot of people with morbid sense of curiosity and despite not being a minority here, elves are out in the world and they make up half of this place. The racism narrative will play up strongly with them."

"No, it's risky," said Marco, “And besides that, it’s horrible to make her live through that.”

"She’s already living through it,” Kenji responded, “I think it would be best to get it over all at once."

"I don't like you playing with the lives of others, little man," rumbled Marco.

"I play to win, big guy," joked Kenji, "I made a promise to get her through this. Debt and obligation are important to me. If she doesn't like my ideas I can try another one."

"Do you think her story would go over well?" asked Sasha.

"Oh yeah, tons of sympathy. Her dad tried to choke her to death while she was goblinizing in a hospital," said Kenji, his tone just as conversational as talking about the weather.

"I don't like how you talk about that so callously," growled Marco.

"I'm an ACHE kid. I feel for Julie, I really do,” said Kenji, neutrally, “But that story is about a three or four out of ten on my meter of hosed up things I've seen. It rates, but not as high as you think. I’ve seen people come back from way worse."

"You see bad things out in the barrens, Marco," said Fuzzy, gently, "Please don't judge him too much for that. I haven't seen much worse, but that's only because I don't stay long enough to witness things like that. Not often at least."

Marco ground his teeth but sighed. Sasha looked at Fuzzy and a pained expression streaked across her face.

"Fine. We'll put it to a vote to tell Julie about this. All in favor?" asked Kenji.

Sasha put her hand up. Kenji did too. He looked to Fuzzy and Marco for them to cast their votes.

CYOA time

This is a simple one. Yay or nay? We can kill the vote by voting no and going for a tie. More choices below.

Learning spells after this. :toot:

Sasha and Julie are doing more spell safety courses so Sasha is out for a while. The courses are scheduled for fourteen days with twelve being the minimum which will help by being a lovely little time skip. By the end of it a month will have passed in game since everyone got to Blake Island. The days will be grueling enough that no one can do anything mentally taxing afterwards. I'm just going to roll that now and give you the results because those days will be free days.

Mother Bear rolled a critical hit on teaching. I'm going to give Fuzzy six extra dice and knock a day off the total. With fifteen dice Fuzzy only gets two hits, but that's enough to learn heal in four days 12 base/2 hits nus one day for Mother Bear teaching like a boss. So five days, just in time for the weekend with a free week after as this is a busy time for them. Fuzzy will have nine free days (two weekends) and we'll abstract what happens on the weekend one because people are going to be busy and burnt out. In fact if we wanted we could probably see if someone could teach us that stun bolt spell, though that'd have to be through a contact that we have or through our favorite teenage fixer, Kenji. Or work on reading. I'll say that this weekend we can work on making money. Clever would hire us to patch people up. The ACHE is always looking for healers. We could spend the weekend with someone. Maybe learn stuff about the island? Spy on Christina? Teachers also ALWAYS have busy work to keep us out of trouble if we're not sure. The world is Fuzzy's Oyster.

Actually to expand the thing with Clever, because we'd be working for him for the weekend if we so choose, I will give either 250 nuyen per hit on our magical heal tests of which we have five dice and we'll roll it twice and we get Clever as a contact. If we do it for free, that's working for the people and we get two karma no matter what happens and Clever gains loyalty for every two hits we get.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 12, 2018

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

quote:

Hey, the more people that get to read it, the better. Although I'm not familiar with that format, do you publish it on a website somewhere? Is that what it means?

I'd probably just run it through something like wordpress.

Ralith posted:

That spear would be so much cheaper if we had just saved up for it :eng99:

You're not thinking like a poor person. Poor people go through periods of feast and famine. This is the feast time for Fuzzy after all. Besides, not having money means she's more likely to make poor decisions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yes on telling Julie. For the weekend, I think we should really double down on learning to read. It's absolutely critical, we want to throw as much time at it as we can.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Yes on telling Julie. For the weekend, I think we should really double down on learning to read. It's absolutely critical, we want to throw as much time at it as we can.

Agreed, on all counts.

I think cultivating connections like Clever and learning Stun Bolt will be beneficial to us in the long run, very much so, but right now we're also playing catch up on our life skills.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Yes, we can come back to it," she said. "Definitely."

And she has the gall to call Kenji a perv?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sasha chuckled anxiously.

"200 nuyen down is too much," said Fuzzy. "You and I both know that the pilum is good, but Cougar will give me a better price."

Holy jarring transition Batman.

Ice Phisherman posted:

"2025 nuyen then. Fine, but it better be the best skinning knife I've ever had. Now can I get it in black or do you need some of my blood, too?" she growled.

I hope you're all happy that our little Fuzzy got ripped off royal. :colbert:

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Whoa," said Marco.

"Holy poo poo," said Kenji.

"I'm so jealous," sighed

"What?" asked Fuzzy.

Who sighed? Sasha?

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA time

This is a simple one. Yay or nay? We can kill the vote by voting no and going for a tie. More choices below.

Yay. The Corp Brats need to hear this, even if its brutal on Julie. Who knows, maybe it'll be cathartic?

Also, Ratman speaking Spanish and teaching it to Fuzzy? 'Dios Mios', Brilliant! :)

Ice Phisherman posted:

Fuzzy will have nine free days (two weekends) and we'll abstract what happens on the weekend one because people are going to be busy and burnt out.

Fuzzy will:

1) Practice with her spear knife.
2) Play with Puppy.
3) Work on reading.
4) Check in with Julian.
5) Give the 'Billy Martin' to Christina
6) Hire out to make some nuyen healing, NOT at the ACHE though, we're not setting foot in that thing unless there is no choice. Ask Momma Bear if she has any job leads.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CourValant posted:

And she has the gall to call Kenji a perv?

Personally I don't think it's pervy to show interest. I tried to convey that Sasha wants to hope for Fuzzy to be more than a friend, but was also happy that she didn't damage her relationship with Fuzzy. That weekend was perilous.

quote:

Holy jarring transition Batman.

Yeah, I need to work on those. Sorry about that. Fixed it.

quote:

Who sighed? Sasha?

Fixed it. Thanks. :)

quote:

Also, Ratman speaking Spanish and teaching it to Fuzzy? 'Dios Mios', Brilliant! :)

Fuzzy is the person who asks questions in the story and that sometimes makes her feel a little bland. I do my absolute best to make her shine in moments when she's not asking questions about the world to make sure her character is developed at the same rate as the rest of the crew so she doesn't fall behind.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 29, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

Personally I don't think it's pervy to show interest. I tried to convey that Sasha wants to hope for Fuzzy to be more than a friend, but was also happy that she didn't damage her relationship with Fuzzy. That weekend was perilous.

Yeah, I need to work on those. Sorry about that.

Fixed it.

Fuzzy is the person who asks questions in the story and that sometimes makes her feel a little bland. I do my absolute best to make her shine in moments when she's not asking questions about the world to make sure her character is developed at the same rate as the rest of the crew so she doesn't fall behind.

Hey, she might not be making her way through Herman Melville's prose any time soon but she'd RIP AND TEAR the poo poo out of some drekhead who tried to hurt Sasha. Where she has a deficit in some areas, she seems to excel in others.

As for jarring transitions, I use some sort of separator like ---------- if I'm marking the division between two scenes. At least in my forum writing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I won't lie, I had a hard time following this update. Especially with the switch from being at the store to being at school like a week (?) later, with no warning or introduction. It had me trying to figure out when Kenji showed up outside the store.

Kenji's idea is good, but Kenji himself is being kind of awful right now. Julie needs more than social manipulation right now, she needs a goddamn friend, and he's too busy playing puppeteer to really see that (plus his emotions are more guarded than Ares HQ). So before Julie gets told about the plan (and we *will* need her full buy-in on this or it's a no-go), we need to go with Marco and Sasha to cheer her up and reassure her that we're there for her. For her, not some random debt. Don't bring Kenji along for this until he stops being an enormous bellend.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Don't bring Kenji along for this until he stops being an enormous bellend.

First of all, thanks for teaching me a new word! 'Bellend', had to look that one up. :eng101:

Second, Kenji being 'shadowrunner light' is how he protects himself in this world. Its his security blanket. It how he hides his emotions and maintains that safe 'keep away' distance.

So, don't expect him to drop that anytime soon, if ever.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The Lord of Hats posted:

I won't lie, I had a hard time following this update. Especially with the switch from being at the store to being at school like a week (?) later, with no warning or introduction. It had me trying to figure out when Kenji showed up outside the store.

Kenji's idea is good, but Kenji himself is being kind of awful right now. Julie needs more than social manipulation right now, she needs a goddamn friend, and he's too busy playing puppeteer to really see that (plus his emotions are more guarded than Ares HQ). So before Julie gets told about the plan (and we *will* need her full buy-in on this or it's a no-go), we need to go with Marco and Sasha to cheer her up and reassure her that we're there for her. For her, not some random debt. Don't bring Kenji along for this until he stops being an enormous bellend.

Sorry about that. I'll use breaks in the future.

I think at some point soon I'm going to go back and redo the breaks to make it more readable and include dates as well as the general time and location as well as who's there. I'll do that going forward though.

By the by I added the character sheet in spoilers in the first post. If I'd thought about it it would've had its own post, but that's life.

CourValant posted:

First of all, thanks for teaching me a new word! 'Bellend', had to look that one up. :eng101:

Second, Kenji being 'shadowrunner light' is how he protects himself in this world. Its his security blanket. It how he hides his emotions and maintains that safe 'keep away' distance.

So, don't expect him to drop that anytime soon, if ever.

It is 100% possible to ignore Kenji. You don't have to interact with him. They'll still be around and still do things but anyone can be excluded from the tight little group that's forming.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 29, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
So, since Fuzzy is about to spend a couple weeks without seeing much of Sasha, we should probably figure out which direction her feelings kind of lie in, right? Is she going to spend the weeks thinking just about how much she misses chilling and laughing with her one friend, or dwelling on that kiss? She's got a poor grasp of her own feelings, but we're probably going to have some inkling before she does.

Or is that one of the things that we won't be voting on?

Hell, maybe Sasha already knows what Fuzzy doesn't, able to read Fuzzy's aura better than Fuzzy reads her own feelings. She might be several steps ahead on this one.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

jagadaishio posted:

So, since Fuzzy is about to spend a couple weeks without seeing much of Sasha, we should probably figure out which direction her feelings kind of lie in, right? Is she going to spend the weeks thinking just about how much she misses chilling and laughing with her one friend, or dwelling on that kiss? She's got a poor grasp of her own feelings, but we're probably going to have some inkling before she does.

Or is that one of the things that we won't be voting on?

Hell, maybe Sasha already knows what Fuzzy doesn't, able to read Fuzzy's aura better than Fuzzy reads her own feelings. She might be several steps ahead on this one.

Since we voted on it not long ago that she was confused I think she needs time to sort it out. I'll ask the thread now and again if anything has changed starting with when everyone is done with spells.

It looks like the yeses have it. Kenji is going to talk to Julie.

Writing now.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 29, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Thanks Ice Phisherman, because of your writing I ended up staying up until 5am, I hope you feel happy about that. :argh:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sheep-dodger posted:

Thanks Ice Phisherman, because of your writing I ended up staying up until 5am, I hope you feel happy about that. :argh:

Buddy, this guy feels no remorse nor has a conscious. Look at what he did to Julie!! :argh:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Ice Phisherman posted:

With her agreement and Kenji's pushing they'd put them both shooting, stalking and then saving the deer minus the kiss at the end. However this had an unintended consequence.

"I'm going through a remedial spell safety night course with Mother Bear," groaned Sasha. "She saw that video and saw that I overcast. I got yelled at."
The first sentence here confused me. Put them doing those things where? When? Apparently in a video somewhere public, but that's not made explicit and I didn't see it happening. Did I miss something?

Amazing writing and spectacular rate of output, regardless. I'll be sad when this ends.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ralith posted:

The first sentence here confused me. Put them doing those things where? When? Apparently in a video somewhere public, but that's not made explicit and I didn't see it happening. Did I miss something?

The way I read it, Kenji talked them into posting the video of their hunt. I agree though, this last story update was a bit disjointed in places (@Ice Phisherman: Not harping on the issue as we've already discussed it, you're probably just having a bad coffee day or something :))

Ralith posted:

Amazing writing and spectacular rate of output, regardless. I'll be sad when this ends.

This story will never end. We've totally 'Misery'ing Ice Phisherman. :dance:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah just some accidentally a word stuff, you're an author not an editor, that happens now and then. I still got the gist. We cleaned up the video and posted it on Facebook, now all the other kids think we're total badasses.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fuzzy, Kenji, Sasha and Marco - August 13th - Monday Morning - Outdoor amphitheater

Fuzzy was the deciding vote and her vote was yes, though Marco was against it. Kenji nodded and just like that he went to find Julie. Minutes later he came back with his answer.

"No go," he said, "She thought about it for a while, but she said it's too personal a story to tell everyone. I can respect that."

"What, you didn't pressure her or anything?" asked Marco, coolly, "Wheedle?"

"No," said Kenji, flatly, "I'm here to present her with options. If she doesn't like my options I'll think of others. Just because I have one good idea one time doesn't mean I get married to it. I'll have more. Besides, maybe she'll want to do it later."

Marco and Kenji stared one another down for a few seconds. It was almost comical to see the enormous troll stare down the much smaller elf. Kenji looked to Sasha and Fuzzy and played off the fact that he broke first.

"I will say that she smiled once I said we put it to a vote. I think that she's happy that we're thinking about her. Maybe it's for the best. Julie is going to get a lot of quiet time with Mother Bear and you, Sasha. Though that'll be nights since she's teaching healing during normal school hours,” said Kenji, “Some of the younger students are excited about signups for spells and starting their training, but a lot of the older students are grumbling.”

“It takes a long time,” said Marco, “Learning spells isn’t particularly fun. Having them can be, but learning them is a chore.”

Kenji shrugged in response.

“Training starts this afternoon and all. I'm an adept so I don't do spells. Since I’m taking classes for adepts, they don’t stop. At least you get to finish and get time off since not everyone finishes at once. Anyway, what about you big guy? Who's teaching you?" asked Kenji.

"I'm teaching myself," said Marco, "I have my own lodge. Most of the upperclassmen teach themselves with the aid of spirits."

"Nice, nice. What's your spell?" asked Kenji.

"Cure disease,” said Marco.

Kenji paused and frowned.

"Cure disease?" asked Kenji.

"Yes. It has a fancier name, but that’s what it does. I specialize in health spells and all of them are curative. I'm Mother Bear's apprentice. We butt heads on our traditions, but we agree on healing the sick and that's enough for me. We try and convert one another sometimes. She thinks it’s cute when I proselytize," said Marco.

"Wait, you’re not a shaman? What's your tradition?" asked Kenji.

"I'm a Christian Theurgist," he said.

There was another pause.

"A follower of Jesus," said Marco.

"What's a Jesus?" whispered Fuzzy to Sasha.

Sasha stifled an inappropriate giggle.

"It's complicated. I'll tell you later," whispered Sasha back to Fuzzy.

If Marco heard them he ignored them to focus on Kenji.

"I want to be a minister," he said, "Most of the people here teach out of the shamanic tradition, but I changed it in my junior year. I didn’t want to leave."

"Big guy like you, huh?" asked Kenji.

"Yes. A big guy like me," he said, moodily, "Wanting to heal the sick and nourish peoples' souls."

"Never would've thought it," said Kenji.

Marco's brow furrowed and a dark cloud of anger clouded his features.

"Maybe I should wave around an AK-97 for you and charge screaming into gunfire while murdering people with fire and lightning? I haven't had any cram in five minutes, oh, where did I put that those poppers?" he asked, and mocked searching his shorts, "Right, not an addict either. No cram. Kenji. I get this from my people enough. I'm not troll enough for most trolls. Too troll to be taken seriously in what I want to do. I'm trying to push against the ideas of violence that people immediately associate with trolls. I’m more than my size."

Kenji opened and closed his mouth a few times. He'd been completely wrong footed. Then he took a long breath, ran his hands through his hair and nodded respectfully to Marco.

"I was wrong. I apologize," said Kenji, quietly.

"Don't worry. We trolls have something going for us," he said.

He rapped his chest with his knuckles and it made a knocking sound as he hit the bony, dermal plates that grew out his chest like armor. Tough skin was a troll's birthright, though not all of it was bony.

"We got thick skin," he said and smiled wanly.

"Use that line a lot?" asked Kenji.

"Way more than I want to," said Marco with a sigh.

Later after people began to go their separate ways Fuzzy found Marco and tugged on his sleeve.

"Oh, hey Fuzzy," he said. "What can I do for you?"

"I need help with something and you seem smart and patient," she said.

"You flatter me,” said Marco, politely.

"I don't flatter people,” said Fuzzy, “I mean what I say.

There was a pause and then Marco nodded once.

"Right," said Marco, "My apologies. What can I do for you?"

Fuzzy looked from side to side, but no one was immediately within earshot. She beckoned him down and he leaned forward. She whispered into his enormous, pointed ear.

"I can't read,” she whispered.

He straightened back up and nodded seriously.

"And you want me help?" he asked.

It was her turn to nod seriously. He stroked his chin.

"I'm not sure if I'm the best person you should talk to about this," he said.

"Why?" she asked.

He furrowed his brow and then in a moment of clarity he slapped his palm to his face.

"I'm doing it to myself," he said, muffled by his palm, "Yes, I accept. How far along are you?"

Fuzzy shot him a significant glance and shook her head.

"Okay, I’d assumed…Right,” he said, “I can't help you every day, especially since we're learning spells. How does the weekend sound?"

"Yes," said Fuzzy, immediately.

"I'll see you this weekend then," he said.

"One more thing?" she asked, and beckoned him down again.

He leaned down. Fuzzy hugged him. She could barely reach her arms around her front. His large and powerful arms encircled her easily with ease and care.

Fuzzy and Mother Bear August 13th – Monday - Morning- Mother Bear's Mana Lodge

"I hope you had a big breakfast," said Mother Bear to her students.

Fuzzy was one of four students interested in learning the healing spell. She knew none of the others. Some of them paid her a few seconds of attention but went back to looking at Mother Bear. They sat on wooden logs surrounding a small fire. It wasn't a sweat lodge. Steam would have ruined the delicate items on the walls. A huge bear's hide stood out prominently behind the diminutive woman and almost framed her. Claws and teeth decorated the lodge, also of bears, at least presumably. There were also hanging herbs, smaller pelts, jars of dirt on stone tables as well as one in particular that was simply labeled "Afghanistan dirt". There were clay jars of what looked to contain paint. She handed the jars of paint to her students along with what looked brushes tipped with some unidentifiable hair. She sat on her log and poked at the fire, which burned low. She pulled a few herbs from the wall and threw them in. A heavy perfume filled the lodge and Mother Bear began to speak as the herbs burned and crackled.

"Healing is important so you don't die. Others too. They won't die if you're around to heal them," she groused, "I could crap out flowery prose and keep you hanging for hours like a turd desperately trying to hit the water. I'm too old to do that. Here's tea. Drink it. Here's paint. Wear it. It doesn't matter how you wear it. Make designs on yourself or just slather it on so long as you use it all. I'll teach the formulas and you’ll learn them if you're smart enough. If not you're not smart enough then you won't learn and you'll waste my time and yours so pay attention. I want you all out of here as soon as possible with knowledge in your heads of how to heal. I want to visit my grandchildren so make it snappy. If you wanted some woo or wanted me to talk about the great spirit well too bad. I'm here to teach you how to heal not fill your heads with woo. If you want woo then turn on the trideo because there are plenty of people to take your money. Me, I'm a teacher. Teachers and money don't mix. Let's begin."

Fuzzy drank her tea, slathered on her paint unceremoniously and began to learn. It was brutal brute force repetition. Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Failure. Repeat. Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Failure. Repeat. Over and over again. It was mentally and physically exhausting. Lunches over the next few days were eaten mechanically at the table and everyone save the adepts were too exhausted to talk. People fell asleep from constant drain fatigue, even while training. Even Fuzzy fell asleep from casting too much, but when she woke up she felt as if she hadn’t slept at all. And so, Fuzzy lost track of time.

On the second day one of the students succeeded. After two more attempts he could create the healing formula and fill it with magic. She knew it was the second day only because she asked. Fuzzy wanted to sleep for a week and decided that Marco had been right. This was awful.

"Good job, Angel. Now leave. I've got slow learners to teach. Shoo," was all she said.

Angel left the tent and went to glorious freedom. He had the rest of Wednesday and a week and a half to do whatever he wanted. Fuzzy envied him like the dead envy the living. She went back to her task. Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Failure. Repeat.

"Yep, sure can heal. Good for you, Lily, now git," said Mother Bear.

Lily fled into the glorious afternoon air like a prisoner suddenly released from death row. It was the third day. Fuzzy only knew because she asked.

Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Failure. Repeat.

"Aria, you can heal. Be anywhere else but here," groused Mother Bear.

Fuzzy didn't even bother to ask what day it was. Asking no longer gave her hope. Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Failure. Repeat. Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Failure. Repeat.

"Like the taste of my tea, Fuzzy?" asked Mother Bear suddenly.

"It tastes like ditch water," complained Fuzzy.

"It is ditch water and you're not drinking enough of it. The tongue goes numb eventually," mused Mother Bear, "The taste sticks to your tongue for hours and distracts you. Better to just make in numb. It’s less distracting that way."

Fuzzy drank more of the vile tea. Her tongue went numb which was surprisingly an improvement. Now she was alone. It was just her, Mother Bear's small corrections and her snark. Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Failure. Repeat. Summon energy. Think of the formula. Push energy into the formula. Success.

Wait, success, she thought? She checked back. It worked. She executed a perfect heal spell. Her heart soared and she made a happy little noise in her throat.

"I think I did it," whispered Fuzzy.

Her voice was rough from disuse.

"I'll alert the media. Do it twice more in a row," said Mother Bear.

She concentrated, thought about the formula and succeeded two more times in a row. Once she got the trick of it she knew how to do it. Fuzzy could do magic.

"What day is it?" croaked Fuzzy.

"Friday evening. First week, so you're lucky. It’s time for me to visit my grandchildren. I'm done here. Stay if you want, but I'm leaving," grumped Mother Bear.

Mother Bear got up, stretched, groaned as her back popped and slowly walked out in that way that old people do with small shuffling steps.

"Maybe your mentor spirit is a tortoise," she complained, “You’re done. Get out of here. Go play with your dog or something.”

Fuzzy and Mother Bear August 17th - Friday Evening- Outside Mother Bear's Mana Lodge

Fuzzy smelled like burnt leaves. Her tongue was rough and tasted like rear end. Her muscles hurt. One foot was asleep. That did not keep her from escaping from Mother Bear's tent with as much speed as she could muster despite the fact that one foot ignored her commands. She immediately went to her room and pet Puppy who wiggled excitedly. She enjoyed some fuzz therapy and merely reveled in the joy of being near him. He'd gotten bigger. Not yet a juvenile, but she couldn't rest him on her chest as easily anymore. He licked her face. She was happy. She took Puppy out on a walk on the beach and enjoyed the movement she’d been denied from so many hours in the mana lodge. She enjoyed life away from Mother Bear and her constant complaints. On a whim she cast the heal spell and it worked like a charm. She was a healer. A shaman. Life was good.

CYOA Time

Fuzzy desperately needs to blow off steam for an afternoon before she delves into the world of latters. What does she do?

Through her constant casting Fuzzy learns the heal spell and her spellcasting goes up to level 2. Mother Bear didn't waste her time so she was out in five short days despite only rolling two successes on fifteen dice.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 12, 2018

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So I got stuck for a while trying to decide how to get Mother Bear to do woo and how to make healing about nature and stuff. I was hung up for nearly an hour on it. Then I had a flash of inspiration. Reject woo. Mother Bear is old and cranky. She rejects woo and simply brute force teaches healing while being an irreverent, bitchy old person. I had a blast writing that once I stopped giving a poo poo about woo.

sheep-dodger posted:

Glad you enjoyed it. I suggest tea.

Ralith posted:

I fixed it. Or at least tried to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Take Puppy for a walk in the forest. Find somewhere nice to just be alone in nature, like we're back home except not nearly as dangerous. Take a nap. Look at the stars if it's nighttime. Go absorb the world and ponder life on our own for a bit, we desperately need some me time to decompress after a nonstop week of all the social bullshit and training.

Also, Mother Bear confirmed as favorite teacher :kimchi:

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 29, 2017