Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

King Vidiot posted:

But people just said they're not "part of history". Because they're not. They're no more history than those cheap replica statues you can get at a lawn and garden store. There was a video of one of those statues getting knocked over and it crumpled under its own weight like tissue. Most of those statues were put up by "The Daughters of the Confederacy" or offshoots of the KKK or other White Pride groups, all in the 20th century, and they're really really cheaply made and mass-produced.

They're paraphrasing season 4 South Park about the town flag. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Irradiation posted:

They're paraphrasing season 4 South Park about the town flag. :ssh:

I win!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

socialsecurity posted:

Most confederate monuments especially those that glorify the south were put up in the 60s to intimidate black people who were pushing for Civil Rights many of them were put specifically in black neighorhoods, Columbus statues were not. An equal comparison to the Lee statues would be if we started putting Hitler statues up in Jewish neighborhoods.

That's not true at all. Most were placed 1900-1915. There was a small spike in the 60s but nothing close to the turn of the century. That Hitler comparison is a joke as well.

No doubt the purpose of some were for negative reasons but you could say that about a lot of statues built over the course of human history.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 29, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChesterJT posted:

That's not true at all. Most were placed 1900-1915.

...still well after the Civil War, and during the golden age of the Klan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Episode sucked except for the NYC shirt.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

...still well after the Civil War, and during the golden age of the Klan.

And? What exactly is the correct time frame to build a statue after said event has happened?

Also the Klan was pretty strong for a good period of time. And before that a number of other terrible things were happening to minority ethnic groups around the world. I don't think you'd say the 1930s or 1880s were an especially good time for black people in America because it wasn't the "golden age of the klan".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Never thought I'd hear 'and you are lynching negroes' almost exactly inverted.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

That's not true at all. Most were placed 1900-1915. There was a small spike in the 60s but nothing close to the turn of the century. That Hitler comparison is a joke as well.

No doubt the purpose of some were for negative reasons but you could say that about a lot of statues built over the course of human history.

Yes there was a spike then as well right when the KKK was founded how odd. How is the Hitler comparison a joke? Let me ask this why do you think they put up statues of generals from a failed rebellion that was started because they wanted to make sure they could own people?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Yes there was a spike then as well right when the KKK was founded how odd. How is the Hitler comparison a joke? Let me ask this why do you think they put up statues of generals from a failed rebellion that was started because they wanted to make sure they could own people?

The Klan wasn't founded in the 1910s. You might want to pick up a history book.

If you want to just say things not based in reality I guess go for it but I'd rather just talk about how this season of South Park hasn't started off so good. Randy in the Columbus costume stepping on the indian saying "seriously, don't post that" was pretty drat good though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

The Klan wasn't founded in the 1910s. You might want to pick up a history book.

If you want to just say things not based in reality I guess go for it but I'd rather just talk about how this season of South Park hasn't started off so good. Randy in the Columbus costume stepping on the indian saying "seriously, don't post that" was pretty drat good though.

The 1910s is when the modern day klan emerged that differed greatly from the original but please continue to try to educate me from your 5 seconds of googling. So what makes the Hitler statue comparison a joke. It's odd how you keep focusing on pedantic details instead of addressing the core of the issue which is that the statues were put up as a form of racial intimidation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a reason there's a whole bunch of statues memorialising Confederate soldiers put up in large numbers at the same time all over the country, especially in Union areas, or places that were basically forced violently into supporting the Confederacy. Also a reason why plenty of them are cheap scrap metal that are easily destroyed by protesters.

It doesn't help that I'm a bit culturally separated from the context, but the Columbus Day episode seemed nearly incoherent. I definitely sympathise with the kids in not really caring what a holiday started from as long as it's a day off, though.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Randy, I cannot quit you. Stop running from yourself.

vermin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 29, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Better than one, worse than two. :shrug:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Y'all do know there's been plenty of recent controversy over Columbus, right? It's nothing entirely new (there are places that have been calling it "Indigenous Peoples Day" for a while now), but it's picking up steam with the whole Confederate statue thing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, so much arguing, so little facts. Straight from the Southern Poverty Law Center, an known authority on the topic:

Sir Lemming posted:

Y'all do know there's been plenty of recent controversy over Columbus, right? It's nothing entirely new (there are places that have been calling it "Indigenous Peoples Day" for a while now), but it's picking up steam with the whole Confederate statue thing.

I know this! Someone dumped paint on a Columbus statue here in Boston, a few days after that General Lee statue was torn down by protestors.

Also, my more radical friends on Facebook have been bitching about Columbus for years. In Boston, Italian Americans make a big deal out of him; they've really defied him to a silly degree. I was expecting Randy's DNA test to come back mostly Italian.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well yeah. But in this case oddly enough I think South Park is taking on the issue too early, before we've had a chance to see how it shakes out, and had to pad the episode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I figured out what has been bothering me about this episode. They didn't really condemn Columbus. They inferred he was bad but it was pretty glossed over. Makes me wonder if they were lampooning Columbus because they thought people were making a big deal over nothing and didn't actually know what a POS he was.

A Columbus expose episode, a la mormons/scientologists could have been funny. Randy as Columbus landing in the Caribbean and gradually killing off the indigenous people could be worked into something funny and educational. But what we got were a few jokes and no real point. And there are a lot of people who still don't know the truth about Columbus. Oh well.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I really wish South Park could get back to bashing trans people instead of people who have been dead for 500 years

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Makes me wonder if they were lampooning Columbus because they thought people were making a big deal over nothing and didn't actually know what a POS he was.

It seemed that way at first, and then it's not a big leap to think they're saying people protesting Confederate monuments are complaining about nothing.

But overall the episode was so muddled that it's hard to say what they were really getting at.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I figured out what has been bothering me about this episode. They didn't really condemn Columbus. They inferred he was bad but it was pretty glossed over. Makes me wonder if they were lampooning Columbus because they thought people were making a big deal over nothing and didn't actually know what a POS he was.

A Columbus expose episode, a la mormons/scientologists could have been funny. Randy as Columbus landing in the Caribbean and gradually killing off the indigenous people could be worked into something funny and educational. But what we got were a few jokes and no real point. And there are a lot of people who still don't know the truth about Columbus. Oh well.

I think the point was pretty well illustrated with the kids storyline. When you're a kid the idea that someone did something in the past really doesn't matter unless it is having an effect on your life; and the events and circumstances surrounding that are irrelevant. They could have done the same story with MLK Jr. day and had the story be about racists trying to change "Black History Month" to "All History Month" with the fallout being that they can't agree on who to celebrate for MLK Jr. day so it gets dropped as a holiday/ day off.

With Randy, I liked the parallel with all his halloween costumes. He can't acknowledge that he was wrong because then he'd be racist so his only option is to cover it up, or later try to include himself in the group so he can also be seen as a victim(again see 'All Lives Matter'). The actual incident is brushed under the rug because it's only important insofar as it relates to how Randy is treated.

The monuments are symbols of "Southern Pride" thus people from the South who are proud of their heritage are mad when they get taken down, because it implicates them as being racists; regardless if they are or not. So then they defend them, which in turn makes them racist because they're defending symbols of racial oppression, but that doesn't actually matter to them because they're now being victimized for having southern pride.

The point they're probably making about them being meaningless is that you're not really getting rid of racism, you're just removing the signs of it and possibly to a lesser extent you could say that by trying to remove them you're creating a situation which racists can step in and polarize people into being on their side by claiming that their removal is unpatriotic...just like kneeling during the national anthem.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 29, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Waltzing Along posted:

Christopher Columbus discovered America and was the Indians' best friend. He helped the Indians win their war against Fredrick Douglass and freed the Hebrews from Napoleon and discovered France.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

When I was a kid, Columbus was a good guy. When I was a teenager, Columbus was a bad guy. The facts were always there, but every few years people are shocked like it's suddenly breaking news.

Same with Bill Cosby. When I was a kid I loved him. Listened to his records. When I was a teen my dad told me he raped a bunch of women in the 70s. And yet the public kept on with the pudding jokes and fat Albert and buck buck well into my twenties so I figured nobody cared about it. Then out of nowhere it's shocking breaking news again and how could we ever have liked him and he hid this from us for all these years and now he's Bill Cosby the Date Rape Guy. You liked Bill Cosby? gently caress you! You don't understand, everybody was stoked on Bill Cosby.

People from the south have been stoked on southern pride since before the civil war.

This episode isn't about racial tension in the Jim Crow era or the meaning of monuments or even Antifa vs alt-right. It's about Randy Marsh playing with a Native American man's heart while trying desperately to make everyone forget he was ever stoked on Columbus.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

some guy on the bus posted:

Christopher Columbus discovered America and was the Indians' best friend. He helped the Indians win their war against Fredrick Douglass and freed the Hebrews from Napoleon and discovered France.

This checks out

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Goon fanfiction never fails to be worse than the thing they're criticising.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ChesterJT posted:

This checks out

The president of the US said it. He wouldn't lie.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of people still really don't know or don't care enough to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8PQXiJiLOY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow, so much arguing, so little facts. Straight from the Southern Poverty Law Center, an known authority on the topic:

I know this! Someone dumped paint on a Columbus statue here in Boston, a few days after that General Lee statue was torn down by protestors.

Also, my more radical friends on Facebook have been bitching about Columbus for years. In Boston, Italian Americans make a big deal out of him; they've really defied him to a silly degree. I was expecting Randy's DNA test to come back mostly Italian.

The Columbus controversy is certainly pretty old, I remember this first from the Sopranos episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD61skoMk8 and I'm sure it came up way before that too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was expecting the DNA test to come back 'You're a direct descendant of Columbus'.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I really want to like Adam Ruins Everything. I agree with every point of his I've bothered to watch but he's just so smug and unlikeable. He's the embodiment of the guy who goes, "Um, actually, did you know...that...peanuts...aren't nuts? They're actually legyooms, which is a type of bean." And then they stand there smirking, looking like they just blew your mind. And then the day after a new one comes out all your friends who watch do just that.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

vermin posted:

I really want to like Adam Ruins Everything. I agree with every point of his I've bothered to watch but he's just so smug and unlikeable. He's the embodiment of the guy who goes, "Um, actually, did you know...that...peanuts...aren't nuts? They're actually legyooms, which is a type of bean." And then they stand there smirking, looking like they just blew your mind. And then the day after a new one comes out all your friends who watch do just that.

I thought that was the "ruins everything" part. The character he plays.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Chakram posted:

I thought that was the "ruins everything" part. The character he plays.

Just cause the character's supposed to be obnoxious doesn't make it less obnoxious to me.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8PQXiJiLOY

It's really amazing that even Adam Ruins Everything is U S A (gently caress yeah) enough to think that USA=America.

I will add that I did not know for a long time that you had Columbus Day as a holiday.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 29, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

turboraton posted:

It's really amazing that even Adam Ruins Everything is U S A (gently caress yeah) enough to think that USA=America.

While technically incorrect it's just shorthand, so I do think it's really cute when I see Canadians get all mad about it.I've lived in Taiwan for 9 years and most people be they locals or foreigners from other countries called it America, and I eventually got tired of correcting them as referring to just the U.S. I'm 99% sure the problem comes from that our nationality is called 'American'.

Incorrect or not, it's the colloquial usage, and you'd have as much luck trying to convince people to go say "search it on google" instead of "google it" or trying to get people to write out 'okay' because 'OK' is the abbreviation for Oklahoma.

edit: Actually this does remind me of a funny story when I was in school here. I had 2 classmates, one from Panama and the other from Argentina. Our teacher said something like "Let's ask our friend from America..." and the Argentinian girl got really huffy and was all 'Excuse me, there are 3 Americans in class.' and the Panamanian girl, without missing a beat, totally serious, was like 'Who else is from America?' I started laughing uproariously because I'd already gotten an earful from the Argentinian girl on the subject of who should be called an American.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 30, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

vermin posted:

Just cause the character's supposed to be obnoxious doesn't make it less obnoxious to me.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yep, a ton of statues went up just as southern states were enacting their Jim Crow laws thanks to Plessy vs. Fergesun.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

turboraton posted:

I don't know of another name for the United States of America anywhere except in Spanish-speaking countries, where Estados Unidos and estadounidense are in use. Also norteamericanos/as.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

vermin posted:

Well yeah, that's the point of his character. But I agree, I like the show but it gets pretty grating. I can only watch one episode at a time. It also seems to be a big hurdle to get over for many people I know who would otherwise like the content.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like Adam Ruins Everything is the same kind of humor as John Oliver but I find John Oliver charming and likable so that's where I get my smartypants with research humor

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Adam Ruins Everything should do an episode about spoilers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No new episode this week. Wow! They worked for 3 weeks. Gotta take a week off after really stretching our creative muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

No new episode this week. Wow! They worked for 3 weeks. Gotta take a week off after really stretching our creative muscles.

dude do you know how TV shows are produced? every episode was made months ago. they don't make TV shows on a week-by-week basis

• Locked thread