Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Any goons interested in doing blind sample exchanges & reviews? I have more whiskey on hand than I know what to do with these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Would any US goons be willing to trade a bottle of Suntory Toki for something of equivalent value from here in Japan? Maybe Chita? Suntory doesn't sell Toki in Japan, but they don't sell Chita outside of Japan.

Edit: Chita won't blow you away, if there's something else you have in mind in the 3000-5000 yen range that's fine too

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 15, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I saw Chita in travel retail and I had the distinct impression of "meh".

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah it's meh at best. If there's something else in the same price range that interests you, that's fine too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Has anybody tried Woodford Reserve orange bitters?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

sean10mm posted:

Has anybody tried Woodford Reserve orange bitters?

I've not had the orange, but the Woodford bitters in general are pretty good. Although any orange bitters that don't have glycerin oughta do the job.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
As I get older I notice that that I can't handle alcohol like I was a college student, so I've been getting into brandy and cognac lately because it's so light and mellow in comparison. I am afraid that I might end up betraying whisky.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

As I get older I notice that that I can't handle alcohol like I was a college student, so I've been getting into brandy and cognac lately because it's so light and mellow in comparison. I am afraid that I might end up betraying whisky.

Brandy is so good, and I'm simultaneously sad and glad that it hasn't caught on yet. Sad because I want to nerd out with other nerds, but glad because it's still such a good deal. Cognac not so much, but basically any other kind of brandy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The older I get, the more I appreciate moderation, the next day.

I don't know much about brandy but there is a very good apple brandy made locally that I enjoy. Carriage House.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I picked up a Whistlepig single barrel private label from Total Wine and here's to hoping it is as good as the floor manager thought. He said it was "gently caress you good" when I asked him if he'd had it before.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Brandy is amazing. I love that no one gives a poo poo about it, which means my Armagnac and Calvados go unnoticed on shelves.

I've started my own infinity bottle. So far it's just Canadian Rockies 21, but soon it should be getting pretty cray. I'll keep it updated with contents.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I actually had a pre-prohibition Calvados cocktail at my favorite bar last week and it was one of the most delightful things ever. I'd love to get my hands on a bottle sometime, because I've never really given brandy a chance.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Distillery near me just launched a series of fruit brandies, releasing 3 white spirits this month and the rest of the production got barreled up to sit for 5 years. Between tasting that stuff and finding a local real-deal Apple Jack I'm head over heels for brandies now.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Sextro posted:

Distillery near me just launched a series of fruit brandies, releasing 3 white spirits this month and the rest of the production got barreled up to sit for 5 years. Between tasting that stuff and finding a local real-deal Apple Jack I'm head over heels for brandies now.

Any chance this local apple jack is anywhere on the west coast?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like Stagg fans are in luck this year.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I just went to the Yamazaki distillery tour. A++ would tour again. Unfortunately those fuckers seem to be exporting all the good stuff and basically nothing is for sale there, nor could I find anything in Osaka.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like Stagg fans are in luck this year.

Now to find a store that accidentally puts it on the shelf

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Glottis posted:

I just went to the Yamazaki distillery tour. A++ would tour again. Unfortunately those fuckers seem to be exporting all the good stuff and basically nothing is for sale there, nor could I find anything in Osaka.

It's the same in reverse at Four Roses where the company was making money hand-over-fist exporting to Japan most of their product until the Japanese investors said to make sure to spread the product in the US to keep up with following competition and constantly adjusting their grain orders to match.

I think it was reasoned that of you keep delivering to one country you become accustomed to constantly change your product line to match their tastes. Japanese like sweeter whiskeys (there was a bartender manga at some time and it was funny to see them take out Makers Mark in the book like it holy but it was a good read) and that makes your skills stagnant if you are trying to sell yourself as a American bourbon country when you are exporting something that tastes wildly different to the American audience.

I hope Yamazaki learns something from Four Roses. That story of how that distellery was created wad awesome from the manga. Dude loved bourbon in a world of sake and how his wife helped a ton in the beginning.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

EVIL Gibson posted:

I think it was reasoned that of you keep delivering to one country you become accustomed to constantly change your product line to match their tastes. Japanese like sweeter whiskeys (there was a bartender manga at some time and it was funny to see them take out Makers Mark in the book like it holy but it was a good read) and that makes your skills stagnant if you are trying to sell yourself as a American bourbon country when you are exporting something that tastes wildly different to the American audience.

The Bartender anime is actually really good, I should add. There's a couple episodes revolving around whiskey; one specifically about Japanese varieties and another revolving more around Scotch. I don't know how accurate it is when it comes to explaining facts and history because a lot of it is tied up in plot stuff, but it's definitely a good watch if you're into it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Matsuri posted:

The Bartender anime is actually really good, I should add. There's a couple episodes revolving around whiskey; one specifically about Japanese varieties and another revolving more around Scotch. I don't know how accurate it is when it comes to explaining facts and history because a lot of it is tied up in plot stuff, but it's definitely a good watch if you're into it.

I was mistaken. Reading the manga again they are talking about Nikka Whiskey. They talk about while waiting for the first batches to age they made apple wine in the meantime and you can still buy that wine today

The book actually taught me things about mixing like how to mix gently (just moving the ice around slowly to mix by moving a small spoon with a long neck).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

NHK ran a dramatization of the Taketsuru/Nikka story called "Massan" a few years back, it was really popular. If you're interested in the actual history check out the book Whisky Rising by Stefan Van Eycken. Alternatively I have a shorter version here, if you can get through my terrible writing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You want to import Toki into Japan?! It's the crappy stuff imo. I'm trying to get something like Nikka From The Bottom from there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mandalay posted:

You want to import Toki into Japan?! It's the crappy stuff imo. I'm trying to get something like Nikka From The Bottom from there.

lol :yosbutt:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nikka's latest expression, Nikka From The Bottom. Aged in Japanese domestic butts with NAS

Color: Dark chocolate, with a tint of crimson
Nose: Pungent earthy notes of freshly composted manure
Palate: Digested burritos, earthworms, and warm copper
Finish: Lingering bile, heavy fecal matter

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 21, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Made an Old Fashioned with Bushmills Black Bush because I was out of bourbon and was pleasantly surprised!

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Copper& Kings in Louisville, KY is making some amazing brandy that I think it really bridges the gap between a brandy and a bourbon. It's made in a pot still and aged in a solera of new and ex-bourbon barrels, but is still fruit forward enough to make it definitely not a bourbon. They also recently released an apple brandy that I'd like to try.

What is everyone's thoughts on Old Forester? I just bought a bottle of the 1870 and I really like the spice profile. Are there other bottles from their lineup that are better than others?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

zmcnulty posted:

Nikka's latest expression, Nikka From The Bottom. Aged in Japanese domestic butts with NAS

Palate: Digested burritos, earthworms, and warm copper
Finish: Lingering bile, heavy fecal matter

Oh my...

Simultaneously curious and horrified by the flavor of warm copper. All the other descriptors are very specific, but that one just spurs the imagination.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Copper& Kings in Louisville, KY is making some amazing brandy that I think it really bridges the gap between a brandy and a bourbon. It's made in a pot still and aged in a solera of new and ex-bourbon barrels, but is still fruit forward enough to make it definitely not a bourbon. They also recently released an apple brandy that I'd like to try.

What is everyone's thoughts on Old Forester? I just bought a bottle of the 1870 and I really like the spice profile. Are there other bottles from their lineup that are better than others?

I'll second this. Copper and Kings makes some amazing craft, and their distillery is one of the cooler tours I've been on. I honestly prefer their 40%, not their barrel proof, options, but I've never been disappointed.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Old Forrester 1920 is fantastic. Easy to drink for the proof and hints of cherry on the finish.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chuck Biscuits posted:

The entry-level offerings ($30 or under range) are pretty awful relative to the competition and as such I haven't really found any reason to try their higher-end stuff. Brown-Forman is probably my least favorite major American distiller.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

sean10mm posted:

Made an Old Fashioned with Bushmills Black Bush because I was out of bourbon and was pleasantly surprised!

Love that whiskey.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

Love that whiskey.

:agreed:

Also Four Roses Small Batch rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, but I really like this Eagle Rare I just got. I can't really explain why though.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Has anyone tried Redbreast 12 cask strength and can say how is compares to Redbreast 12 (which I love)? I'm wondering if the cask strength is worth the signficant price premium.

edit: Also this brandy discussion is very interesting. Whiskey is great but the prices seem out of proportion compared to other spirits, presumably because of the recent surge in popularity(?).

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 28, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Have you seen Redbreast Lustau? I made an earlier post about it. Thought it was awesome. Just finished my bottle actually.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

sean10mm posted:

:agreed:

Also Four Roses Small Batch rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, but I really like this Eagle Rare I just got. I can't really explain why though.

I think four roses does have a strange rear end start. Like it takes like any cheap whiskey for a hot second before it changes to smooth. Let me try one. I think I have eagle rare too in fact.

edit: gently caress, I think the Eagle Rare was killed last BBQ. I did have a four roses small batch so I used a Elijah Craig 23 to compare. The small batch actually has a normal start, but the finish is super rough. Everything but the end is great which is a good price for one lame thing about the bourbon. On a side note: Thank you for giving me an reason to drink tonight lol.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 28, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Eagle Rare is pretty bland, so anything compared against it will seem more bitey I'd guess. Except maybe Makers or a Canadian whiskey.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I have to admit I passed over the Redbreast Lustau when I saw it didn't have an age statement, but that was probably snobby. I'll see if it's still at the store, I recall it being cheaper than the cask strength 12yo. It would be nice it's any of the local bars carried either of them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

Has anyone tried Redbreast 12 cask strength and can say how is compares to Redbreast 12 (which I love)? I'm wondering if the cask strength is worth the signficant price premium.

edit: Also this brandy discussion is very interesting. Whiskey is great but the prices seem out of proportion compared to other spirits, presumably because of the recent surge in popularity(?).

I've had Redbreast 12 CS, but haven't had the standard bottle. I really enjoy the CS, though, and it received the top average score in a small tasting I held with some friends.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Vox Nihili posted:

I've had Redbreast 12 CS, but haven't had the standard bottle. I really enjoy the CS, though, and it received the top average score in a small tasting I held with some friends.

I ran an Irish Whiskey tasting earlier in the year and the Redbreast 12 was by far the best. Really smooth and rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

What's the best rye I can get at most bars? I usually default to Old Overholt because a) most bars have it and b) it's cheap. But am I missing out on some other generally available rye? I'm not too knowledgeable about american whiskey in general but I understand this is a pretty broad and probably dumb question.