Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Chevy's research into cab over design is not going well.

More like cab over easy :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Was Sheriff Buford T Justice and his son in it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Was Sheriff Buford T Justice and his son in it?

"Daddy, the cab came off."

edit how the hell did I quote myself. Long day I guess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Someone forgot to bolt the frame mounts back on.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Someone forgot to bolt the frame mounts back on.

The bed does look lifted, it makes me wonder if this was the result of a poorly installed body lift. The truck itself isn't even close to the rustiest chevy I have seen of that generation. In fact its pretty clean.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cool thing is if it were a Ford 6.0/6.4/etc. you could replace an air filter.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Darchangel posted:

Jalopnik has a third picture that shows some damage to the left rear of the bed, but is just as confused as I am how it actually went down.

I'm guessing the body fell down from the mounts, the wheel wells dropped onto the front wheels and the tires had enough grip from the force of the body going down to judo throw the whole thing over.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cool thing is if it were a Ford 6.0/6.4/etc. you could replace an air filter.

And the FICM, EGR cooler, head gaskets and studs, injectors, etc...cause good knows by the time you need an air filter that stuff is on it's way out.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Kafouille posted:

I'm guessing the body fell down from the mounts, the wheel wells dropped onto the front wheels and the tires had enough grip from the force of the body going down to judo throw the whole thing over.

I want to live in your cartoon physics world.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That sounds... like a reasonable explination actually, similar to those awful open wheel crashes where wheels hookup and toss one car violently in the air. The body has a fairly high center of mass, it's moving forward, hits the motor and the wheels, wheels push up and forward on the firewall and fwoop goes the front half.

I propose testing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

StormDrain posted:

I propose testing.

Dick's kind of busy in Nebraska right now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

And the FICM, EGR cooler, head gaskets and studs, injectors, etc...cause good knows by the time you need an air filter that stuff is on it's way out.

What year did Ford finally realize that cab off procedures were necessary and made things easier?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I read another local article yesterday. She said the wheel started shaking and she lost control and hit that pole in the background and knocked it over. It doesnt look like it but it rolled too. My guess is that raising the body made snapping those bolts easier than normal. Probably puts more leverage on it.

It also looks like she hit the pole sideways right where the bed meets the cab so it probably started the roll with a busted mount.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

What year did Ford finally realize that cab off procedures were necessary and made things easier?

Supposedly the 6.7L Scorpions are better. So, 2011ish-on? They still have turbo failures, radiator failures, and EGR cooler again, but the EGR cooler is easier to replace, and most people delete it anyways.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I was searching through my older videos when I found this recording of a test with a glass case schock absorber. This is a demonstrator for a single tube Schock absorber (the ones that can be mounted upside down) to demonstrate the risk of cavitation in case of worn out internal seals and loss of gas pressure .

For this demonstration the gas reservoir at the bottom was depressurized, which means that the pressure in all 3 Chambers of the Schock absorber is only atmospheric pressure under static conditions. You can see that the clear oil turns foggy when a chamber is increasing in volume and you can see a cavity appearing and disappearing in the top chamber. These bubbles are cavitation bubbles that will reduce the amount of dampening force the Schock absorber can produce during a stroke, rendering it ineffective.

Under normal conditions the high pressure reservoir below the free floating lower piston would create a static pressure, according to the gas filling below,inside all 3 Chambers which would prevent the liquids from cavitating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS9jS33w0W0

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 30, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

03-04s put the failure prone injector control pressure sensor and injector pressure regulator on the back of the engine on a cab not designed to easily come off

That's the bell housing below, turbo up-pipes above, and heat shields all around. Step 2 in troubleshooting is to throw the truck out and get a better one. 05+ even though the cab comes off the ICP is on the front of the valve cover. with the 6.7 they moved a bunch more stuff up to the top of the engine bay for easier servicing, but a lot of stuff is still cab-off. Seriously look under the hood of a 6.7 if you get a chance.

If someone offers you a free 03-04 6.0 super duty, kick them in the nuts and take their wallet. The guy from powerstrokehelp.com says the 6.7s are pretty reliable as long as they're not tuned to the tits. There was a bad batch of early ones with lovely fuel pumps and a group of crank castings that randomly snap in half, but most seem extremely reliable. He even says they don't bother taking the DPF system off because it's not a problem.

The new 6.7s make more torque than a veyron. The famous 855(14 liter) big cam cummins was only 400hp, 1150ft/lbs. The current 6.7 is 440hp, 925ft/lbs

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 30, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/engine-destroyed-air-france-flight-paris-la-article-1.3532414

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Headline:
EXPLODING ENGINE THROWS AIRPLANE INTO A TAIL SPIN

Story:

Airplane shudders after substantial damage to half its engines and makes it down safe and otherwise completely sound.

Fire headline writers into the sun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy loving poo poo.

Glad they did ETOPS testing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If blades are missing and you're still around to post it online, you've had a good day.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

Powershift posted:

03-04s put the failure prone injector control pressure sensor and injector pressure regulator on the back of the engine on a cab not designed to easily come off

That's the bell housing below, turbo up-pipes above, and heat shields all around. Step 2 in troubleshooting is to throw the truck out and get a better one. 05+ even though the cab comes off the ICP is on the front of the valve cover. with the 6.7 they moved a bunch more stuff up to the top of the engine bay for easier servicing, but a lot of stuff is still cab-off. Seriously look under the hood of a 6.7 if you get a chance.

If someone offers you a free 03-04 6.0 super duty, kick them in the nuts and take their wallet. The guy from powerstrokehelp.com says the 6.7s are pretty reliable as long as they're not tuned to the tits. There was a bad batch of early ones with lovely fuel pumps and a group of crank castings that randomly snap in half, but most seem extremely reliable. He even says they don't bother taking the DPF system off because it's not a problem.

The new 6.7s make more torque than a veyron. The famous 855(14 liter) big cam cummins was only 400hp, 1150ft/lbs. The current 6.7 is 440hp, 925ft/lbs

I drive a 2017 F350 6.7l tow truck and coming from a triton v10 you feel all of the 925ft/lbs. Thing could tow the loving space shuttle. On a side note it has been stalling randomly with a cel for fuel pressure and the dealership cant figure it out.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I wonder what kinds of crazy stuff we'd see if the 8th Air Force had hi resolution cameras in everyone's pocket in 1944

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tactlessbastard posted:

Headline:

Story:

Airplane shudders after substantial damage to half its engines and makes it down safe and otherwise completely sound.

Yeah. Airline crashes are a morbid curiosity of mine. Most them today have such a chain of failure to cause it I find them fascinating.

Then of course you get the pilot that really fucks up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tactlessbastard posted:

Headline:

Story:

1/4. It was an A380.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

1/4. It was an A380.

poo poo, even less of an issue.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MrYenko posted:

1/4. It was an A380.

Yea, the incredibly bad journalism in the linked article doesn't bother to mention the aircraft type, but it does say that it was engine #4 in the included picture of a tweet from someone.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There's a video of the landing in Goose Bay.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/914207502320926720

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PainterofCrap posted:

There's a video of the landing in Goose Bay.

That planes broken!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

That planes broken!

Is it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, the right motor's blown out.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Probably just vapor-locked hon

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's nothing the aerospace equivalent of duct tape won't fix.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tactlessbastard posted:

I wonder what kinds of crazy stuff we'd see if the 8th Air Force had hi resolution cameras in everyone's pocket in 1944

Same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's nothing the aerospace equivalent of duct tape won't fix.

I have a friend with a bush plane in alaska, they've told me that you should never trust a plane that doesn't have something held together with duct tape.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tactlessbastard posted:

Mostly :nws: :nms:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I imagine that convo is either "where the rest of y'all at?" or "so who still has clean underpants?".

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I imagine that convo is either "where the rest of y'all at?" or "so who still has clean underpants?".

"So? How'd it go?"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

"You guys did complete your mission, right?"

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

The also sent photojournalists with 4x5 press cameras and film documentary crews led by Hollywood directors along with the bombers fairly often, so there are quite a few action shots of that sort of thing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

God loving dammit Carl, do not tell me you just bombed my elevators again! :mad: