Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol dude, $120/mo for 5GB.

canada isn't most of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

canada isn't most of the world

Yeah, Canada has a worse version of the US problem, because it's just as large geographically but has (from memory) 10% of the population and no particular global clout domains.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I saw an article speculating that if tmobile and sprint merge it will take away the incentive tmo has to keep their prices low and that the us will end up like canada. Sounds like scaremongering but then again :capitalism:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just a heads up, the Play Store is showing when your promo credit expires now, in case anyone didn't know. So if you get your survey bucks and never actually spend them like me, your time might be running out!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The latest Firefox for Android Beta release makes it look almost exactly like Chrome mobile.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

OhFunny posted:

The latest Firefox for Android Beta release makes it look almost exactly like Chrome mobile.

Have they done something about the scrolling? Last time I used it it certainly want consistent with anything else in Android.

Re music chat - I'm in New Zealand so GPM bundles with YouTube Red is worth it but the GPM iOS app is pretty drat awful

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

baka kaba posted:

Just a heads up, the Play Store is showing when your promo credit expires now, in case anyone didn't know. So if you get your survey bucks and never actually spend them like me, your time might be running out!

I suppose now we'll get to see if the date changes with each new payment of survey bucks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

dissss posted:

Re music chat - I'm in New Zealand so GPM bundles with YouTube Red is worth it but the GPM iOS app is pretty drat awful

don't be sad, the GPM android app is drat awful too

(still, worth it for Red)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I really like the Android app. It's one of the main reasons I switched to it from Spotify.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, really like is the wrong thing to say. I just found it to be not actively bad like Spotify.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I find it's ui to be very clunky and annoying, especially with how slow it is sometimes. Its features are all great, and I don't have any if those complaints with the desktop version, so I'm mostly just being whiny.

Mostly I just wish its assistant integration would be a little better, it's literally the only thing I use voice commands for and it often gives really random results, and its slooooow to respond.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Never once had a problem with the Spotify app to be honest. Always thought it was a well developed app.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

sweart gliwere posted:

If screen-off play is a feature you're missing, Firefox mobile can fill that role. Up to you whether to minimize data I guess, but most of the world has better plans with cheaper data rates than us (US) anyway.

I don't think this works anymore.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

hmmmm not really sure how I feel about it, although, a 4 number pin isn't exactly foolproof

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Is Paprika still the go-to app for recipes? I remember it used to be the one that everyone recommended but looking at the recent play store reviews has me wanted to wait before I spend my rewards fun bucks.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

diremonk posted:

Is Paprika still the go-to app for recipes? I remember it used to be the one that everyone recommended but looking at the recent play store reviews has me wanted to wait before I spend my rewards fun bucks.

It hasn't been updated since August of 2016 so likely abandoned.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It hasn't been updated since August of 2016 so likely abandoned.

https://www.paprikaapp.com/blog//2017/08/12/quick-paprika-3-0-status-update/

According to this post on their website they are currently working on new versions for Mac/iOS with Android and Windows to follow.

dihaploidy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 28, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
So what's the current hotness in weather radar apps? The NOAA Hi-Def Radar app used to be really good but it got a bizarre update a couple weeks ago that turned it into dog poo poo. I just want something clean and simple that I can pop open to see if there's rain headed toward me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So what's the current hotness in weather radar apps? The NOAA Hi-Def Radar app used to be really good but it got a bizarre update a couple weeks ago that turned it into dog poo poo. I just want something clean and simple that I can pop open to see if there's rain headed toward me.

Weather timeline?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I find Weather Elite by Weatherbug works well for that and I've been using it nearly 7 years now across all my phones. You can try out the general use with the free version but that has ads in.

Not sure what the price of elite is because I got it so long ago, so maybe it is something ridiculous now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Weather Timeline's built-in radar seems all right. I also use Raindar sometimes, I have no idea whether it's better or worse than anything else, but it does the job.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

RadarScope. Get Pro, then truely join the wether nerd culture.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

FunOne posted:

RadarScope. Get Pro, then truely join the wether nerd culture.

Yup this is the only right answer

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm nerdy but not 10 loving dollars for a weather app nerdy. Good Lord.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm nerdy but not 10 loving dollars for a weather app nerdy. Good Lord.

High quality, high resolution access to real time nexrad data and products, plus worthwhile composite products and killer support.

I've literally been awakened by a storm and tornado alert on my phone, pulled up RadarScope, and been able to confidently say that if there is a tornado it is over there and going away from us, and gone back to sleep.

But it doesn't have cool animations or cute weather icons so you can know the "percent chance of rain" so maybe it isn't what you're looking for.

Now I want the people from Pivotal Weather to make a mobile version of their interface so I can do moniker forecasting.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I need to spend some Survey Bux. I don't think I want a $10 weather app though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The recentish change to allow survey bucks to he used against recurring subscriptions is just the best, I barely pay for my strava premium each month because of it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The search bar will likely become customizable on the Pixel Launcher. I swear to god if they take away the weather frog I will cut someone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They need to let you hide apps from the drat drawer

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LastInLine posted:

The search bar will likely become customizable on the Pixel Launcher. I swear to god if they take away the weather frog I will cut someone.

weather frog?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blue Train posted:

something something Nova Launcher something something

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Blue Train posted:

Just get a different Launcher. Nova lets you, im sure 90% of the replacement ones do.

I wish they would make a sort of app jail. Where you could basically disable an app. I've got some apps that I really only need when I don't have data, or only use once a month. I'd like to be able to keep them installed, but not allow them to do any functions until I re-enable them. You can sort of do it with system apps, but you have to uninstall any update.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

deong posted:

Just get a different Launcher. Nova lets you, im sure 90% of the replacement ones do.

I wish they would make a sort of app jail. Where you could basically disable an app. I've got some apps that I really only need when I don't have data, or only use once a month. I'd like to be able to keep them installed, but not allow them to do any functions until I re-enable them. You can sort of do it with system apps, but you have to uninstall any update.

How badly do you want it cause it's possible with some effort, read the non root bit

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.catchingnow.icebox&hl=en

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Blue Train posted:

How badly do you want it cause it's possible with some effort, read the non root bit

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.catchingnow.icebox&hl=en

That looks quite simple.. Wonder how hacky day to day use would be..
I might try this on a non primary phone. Looks like you just need to run 1 command on a phone before 1st time use.. Thanks for pointing this out.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Has anyone been having trouble with email sync? I'm on a pixel with Oreo and the last day or two I haven't received any Gmail/inbox notifications. I have to open the app and refresh manually. I've checked every setting I can find and as far as I can tell synching and notifications are all turned on.

Anyone having a similar issue or have ideas how to fix it? The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with battery saver as I enabled it a few days ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes, I've been getting that for a year or more. There's nothing I've been able to do to fix it. I'm guessing it's because of Doze, but I've excluded Gmail from Doze, so :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wacky Delly posted:

weather frog?

The Google Weather Frog

I love that little bastard so much.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The Google Weather Frog

I love that little bastard so much.
The frog is the best but for some reason seems to be Pixel only. My girlfriend on a 6P has no frog and is much the sadder for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I thought that about the emoji blobs and, well...