Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

RyokoTK posted:

Because the way you put it makes it sounds like whiny pissbaby poo poo that no one should care about.

It is, that's what makes it so funny :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

RyokoTK posted:

Because the way you put it makes it sounds like whiny pissbaby poo poo that no one should care about.

Perhaps the same could be said of all video games

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Schubalts posted:

I do not know how you can not understand why that pissed people off.

I get it, it just feels like a huge loving overreaction.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Doesn't DMC Dante get white hair in devil trigger anyway?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RagnarokAngel posted:

I get it, it just feels like a huge loving overreaction.

Devil May Cry fans are a very serious group of people and do not take kindly to being mocked.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Doesn't DMC Dante get white hair in devil trigger anyway?

Yes. DmC wanted to be a big middle finger to the stodgy older games but halfway through someone in production realized Ninja Theory had no idea what the gently caress they were doing and pumped the brakes, with more sincere callbacks to boot.

The result was a badly designed mess that had nothing to recommend it, except for award-winning scenes like "protagonist aborts a sobbing hostage with a sniper rifle bullet to the abdomen."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oxxidation posted:

Yes. DmC wanted to be a big middle finger to the stodgy older games but halfway through someone in production realized Ninja Theory had no idea what the gently caress they were doing and pumped the brakes, with more sincere callbacks to boot.

The result was a badly designed mess that had nothing to recommend it, except for award-winning scenes like "protagonist aborts a sobbing hostage with a sniper rifle bullet to the abdomen."

God dammit I cannot find the youtube video of the quick scope snipe rifle abortion with dubstep.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Literally none of this is true and people inventing narratives to rationalize how the bosses at Capcom are blameless and everything is the faulty of the filthy gaijin developers is almost as funny as people still writing Not My Dante essays half a decade later.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RyokoTK posted:

So it sounds like the thread's reason for existing?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

StandardVC10 posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all video games

yes

Schubalts posted:

So it sounds like the thread's reason for existing?

no

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
whats that, fans of a game series did not like it when an incompetent company was handed the IP and was told to go hog wild? im shocked, im appalled, this is the first time i've ever heard of this before.

wait what is this "sonic boom" i just stumbled upon? oh no

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

whats that, fans of a game series did not like it when an incompetent company was handed the IP and was told to go hog wild? im shocked, im appalled, this is the first time i've ever heard of this before.

wait what is this "sonic boom" i just stumbled upon? oh no

are you using the sonic boom example to emphasize how dmc fans are giant whiny pissbabies? because if so, I agree

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hey gently caress you, and now back to this game i just heard about called Mighty Number Nine, it's like a spiritual successor to megaman, made by the megaman guy!

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

God dammit I cannot find the youtube video of the quick scope snipe rifle abortion with dubstep.

I got u fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL29x7Reh8

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I mean, people didn't like Mighty No. 9 because it's a bad game, not because it denigrated the Mega Man franchise.

Mega Man had done plenty of that to himself by that point anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe DMC fans lost their poo poo about the series taking a hard turn into the garbage bin.

You'd think that their turned based isometric post apocalypse game had turned into an FPS or something. Or that a woman was given more clothes in a fighting game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I legit can't tell if you all are using those examples to justify the outrage or to mock how stupidly sensitive gamers are!

Anyways one thing bugging me about mighty gunvolt burst is that the customization menus are just simple text box trees rather than a more intuitive visual interface. It's the worst possible interface they could have chosen, very NES like

Otherwise game is tight

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Ninja Theory actually has a better track record than the DMC franchise, since before it was handed over to them it only had 1.5 good games across four different installments while Ninja Theory has never made a bad game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Ninja Theory actually has a better track record than the DMC franchise, since before it was handed over to them it only had 1.5 good games across four different installments while Ninja Theory has never made a bad game.

Their Journey to the West game was good?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Schubalts posted:

Their Journey to the West game was good?

It was ok, I liked it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In the DmC remaster one or the options is to give Dante permanent white hair so the cutscene with a mop becomes really confusing and extra funny.

Enslaved has all the flaws of DmC except its combat is somehow even worse and its story is adorably hilarious in so far as the plot is the protagonists learning that closed systems are flawless until someone breaks them and then vow to break the closed system that keeps the vast majority of humanity alive.

Heavenly Sword was also really not good with bad combat and god loving awful mandatory six axis inclusion.

Honestly Kung Fu Chaos may be the best game theyve ever done and boy is that thing rough.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

In the DmC remaster one or the options is to give Dante permanent white hair so the cutscene with a mop becomes really confusing and extra funny.

Enslaved has all the flaws of DmC except its combat is somehow even worse and its story is adorably hilarious in so far as the plot is the protagonists learning that closed systems are flawless until someone breaks them and then vow to break the closed system that keeps the vast majority of humanity alive.

Heavenly Sword was also really not good with bad combat and god loving awful mandatory six axis inclusion.

Honestly Kung Fu Chaos may be the best game theyve ever done and boy is that thing rough.

Hellblade is really good and that annoys me because I was happy writing off NT forever.

Enslaved meanwhile is bona fide one of the dumbest games I've ever played. You know that Monkey's slave headband is never even used after the cutscene in which it's introduced? Trip gives it a single command about 3/4's of the way into the game and it doesn't even work.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh geez that mighty number nine game disappointed..well, whatever, at least this Starcraft remake won't suck. PFFFFT what am i saying, of course it's going to suck, it's starcraft

actual content: Death Road to Canada's movement feels really sluggish.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Sep 30, 2017

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I wasn't huge into Devil May Cry though I had played a few and I thought DmC was alright.

But then again I don't get mad about hair color in games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Hellblade is really good and that annoys me because I was happy writing off NT forever.

Enslaved meanwhile is bona fide one of the dumbest games I've ever played. You know that Monkey's slave headband is never even used after the cutscene in which it's introduced? Trip gives it a single command about 3/4's of the way into the game and it doesn't even work.

Ugh, now I guess I have to play Hellblade because the rest of their lineup is just not good.

I liked the cutscene flashes in Enslaved of what appeared to be the developers family and travel photos. They are not styleized or made into computer graphics, they're literal photos so they jar immediately and intensely with everything else in the game, including the rest of the cutscenes they're interspersed in.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Schubalts posted:

If by ape the character design, you mean make Dante look like literally every other Dante in the Devil May Cry franchise, then yea. That's what people wanted out of a Devil May Cry game. People wanted more stylish action starring Pizza Fiend Dante, his Lil Buddy Nero, and Crazy Uncle Vergil.

If they had only dropped the white hair, that would be different. But they specifically made a scene just to say that white hair would look terrible. Nobody would have been as mad about it if they hadn't added what the complainers viewed as a "gently caress you" to people who liked original Dante more.

I do not know how you can not understand why that pissed people off.

This poo poo right here is why AAA games have lost all of their personality and every major game story is about stodgy human trainwrecks seriousing at each other for 8 hours. If there's a sequence where anyone mocks anything in any video game, no matter how flippant and obviously a goddamned motherloving joke the scene is, a contingent of "fans" will tell everyone that it's a symbol of the developers, yes the developers, personally, deliberately, revealing their true underlying hatred of the thing in question- or, as we see here, revealing their true underlying hatred of the loving people who like the thing in question. The games industry can't write funny bits where characters take potshots at each other anymore because if they do, it'll be incorporated into some sinister narrative of actual hatred, even if it's just a lighthearted jab about how they've changed a character design, or how much edgier and cooler they are than some other video game, or even just a dumb reference to the fact that another game exists.

The console wars killed the games industry and we will never be able to move past that mindset.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

What in the world are you going on about.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somfin posted:

This poo poo right here is why AAA games have lost all of their personality and every major game story is about stodgy human trainwrecks seriousing at each other for 8 hours. If there's a sequence where anyone mocks anything in any video game, no matter how flippant and obviously a goddamned motherloving joke the scene is, a contingent of "fans" will tell everyone that it's a symbol of the developers, yes the developers, personally, deliberately, revealing their true underlying hatred of the thing in question- or, as we see here, revealing their true underlying hatred of the loving people who like the thing in question. The games industry can't write funny bits where characters take potshots at each other anymore because if they do, it'll be incorporated into some sinister narrative of actual hatred, even if it's just a lighthearted jab about how they've changed a character design, or how much edgier and cooler they are than some other video game, or even just a dumb reference to the fact that another game exists.

The console wars killed the games industry and we will never be able to move past that mindset.

what

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sir, this is a drive-thru.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Schubalts posted:

What in the world are you going on about.

You said that a contingent of fans read a lighthearted scene, which jokingly references a previous character design, as a serious attack on those who liked previous games in the series. You implied this was an understandable reaction.

I'm saying that this is a problem, and it's a problem because games used to be able to do this without people seeing it as serious, and now games can't do that. It means that games are unable to be lighthearted about themselves or other games, because a contingent of idiots will see lighthearted jabs as serious attacks, and well-meaning people like you will nod and say "well what did they think was going to happen?" as if it's a normal thing for people to see a character with a mop on his face for four seconds and read that as some deliberate assault against a part of their identity.

And I'm blaming it on the console wars mindset, which encouraged people to take sides and identify with major brands.

Deciphered?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

no

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Somfin posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but woo, wowie, take a breather mate.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The other side of things is pretty great though, like Insomniac and Naughty Dog being BFFs due to working in the same building for years and not only regularly meeting, but swapping engine parts and giving each other cameos/potshots in each other's games. Their manuals even advertised each other's series, like Jak and Daxter had ads for Ratchet and Clank and Sucker Punch's Sly Cooper. :3:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Barudak posted:

Ugh, now I guess I have to play Hellblade because the rest of their lineup is just not good.

I liked the cutscene flashes in Enslaved of what appeared to be the developers family and travel photos. They are not styleized or made into computer graphics, they're literal photos so they jar immediately and intensely with everything else in the game, including the rest of the cutscenes they're interspersed in.

Don't worry Hellblade is still pretty bad. Half the speech isn't subtitled(including some hints/tutorials, the rest is frequently wrong and/or mistimed. The game tries to extend the horror theme to the combat but fail since you are functionally invincible because you can cancel anything into a dodge which can be chained into attacks. In fact they repeat an issue they had in Heavenly Sword where you could do infinite Dodge->Attack->Dodge->Attack... chains to move really fast away from enemies. The non-combat gameplay is full of Dark/Light world stuff which you have to slowly walk the longest way possible to solve, bad perspective puzzles and a ton of simple puzzles that you figure out immediately but take ages to actually solve.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got all the gaps and objectives done on Classic Mode on Tony Hawk American Wasteland, and they were fun, but a lot of the gaps require too much build up for too little payoff, or are finicky enough that you can't be trying to do something else at the same time. Either they take you too far out of the way so you get less points than doing a non-gap line/combo, or they are so technical that bailing is incredibly likely and will lose you points in the long run. There were two gaps in the 4th level that were particularly bad, requiring weird motions to get to the top rafters of a warehouse which were solid enough to grab and pull up onto, but not to stand on you just clipped through it so you had to quickly make a grind happen so you could get to the solid part. There were no letters or stat points telling you "Go up here" and no doorway/teleporters like all the other levels use to get to otherwise impossible rooftops. All in all it feels too segmented, story mode is definitely more satisfying.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

That was Andy Serkis. And it makes sense if you beat the game since the ending shows that that was all memories from the pre-apocalypse world, it's kind of like how Wall-E used live action for modern humans while the characters in the story were CGI.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RareAcumen posted:

No, they said Zelda 2, not CDI Zelda.

Was CDI really that bad? I could have sworn I heard it was decent and that the cutscenes were just bad - which sounds like a lie tbh, the cutscenes are amazing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

scarycave posted:

Was CDI really that bad? I could have sworn I heard it was decent and that the cutscenes were just bad - which sounds like a lie tbh, the cutscenes are amazing.

The game part was dogshit too. I know, I played the drat things.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scarycave posted:

The cutscenes are so-bad-it's-good, but the games themselves are actually horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Slime posted:

The game part was dogshit too. I know, I played the drat things.

Thank you for your service.