Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Valse Hommage - Ch.Neuhauser

: I’m not here to drink, Sparrowson. Or mope, for that matter. Taverns are a fantastic hub of information. If we wish to get to learn more about this Prince Juan, then this would be the ideal place to start asking questions.

: Oh, that’s pretty good thinking.

: Ah, you two are back! Are you feeling any better, Falcon?

: Much better. Thank you for asking, Madame Quanelle.

: That's great to hear, hon. Will it be the usual?

: No, no. I'm back to investigative work today, so I’ve got to keep sharp.

: We wanted to know if you've seen a prince of Spain around here recently.

: I'm lucky to serve the occasional bourgeois. You can forget about seeing a member of royalty.

: That’s a pity. Maybe I should ask some of your patrons...

: Feel free. The old regulars, Rufus and Paol, are playing cards in the attic, same as always. But we get all sorts of colorful characters in the drinking room. I bet if you rattled enough cages, you would find someone who knows whatever it is you want to know.

: Thank you, madame. Let's see, where to start..

: Please? I'll even let you deal this time.

: The answer's no, Rufus! I'm skint. If you want to play cards, you will have to ask someone else.

: Fine, I'll ask that big fellow. Excuse me, Monsieur!

: ?

: I'm afraid I don't have time for that, monsieur. I have some investigative work to take care off.

: Come on. Surely you have time for one quick game?

: No, thank you. Maybe later.

: v:mad:v No means no! Piss off, coo coo ca choo.

: I understand. See you around, monsieur.

: I had been pursuing this set of footprints for an hour. I was getting closer and closer. I could almost smell the beast. Then, I spotted it. It was a boar. A big, stupid boar, completely oblivious to my existence.

:

: I readied my gun. I carefully took aim. And then, BAM!

: Y'shot it?

: No. It was the most peculiar thing. The boar slumped over dead right before I could take the shot.

: Sounds like one of ’em heart attacks. Me nan went the same way.

: That's what I thought. But when I went to take a closer look, I noticed the boar was frothing at the mouth.

: Woah! It was rabid?

: Possible, but I don't think so. I remembered reading something about frothing around the mouth being a symptom of poisoning. Needless to say, I left the dead animal alone.

: Good call. Who wants to deal with tainted meat?

: Excuse me, monsieur.

: I don't suppose you've seen a Juan Querido around here? He's Spanish royalty.

: Foxy fellow. Swanky hat. Calls everyone Senor.

: That doesn't sound familiar.

: Do you recall seeing anyone like that, Pierro?

: Ain't got a clue.

: Sorry, messieurs. You're barking up the wrong tree.

: Well, what can you tell us about the Spanish royal family?

: Do we look like walkin’ encyclopedias or something?

: But Spanish royalty? That sounds like a question to be answered at a library, monsieur, not a tavern.

: A library? Maybe you're right. Sorry for bothering you, monsieur.

: But we're not done yet.

: Excuse me, monsieur.

: Yes? Can I help you?

: You say that the beast you were tracking might have died from poisoning. Could you give us some further details?

: Further details? I'm not much of a poison expert, I'm afraid.

: Well, what do you think caused it?

: I would guess that it ate something bad. I saw some of that poisonous plant around... wolfs bane, I think they call it... But really, I have no idea. I'm a hunter, not a vet. Excuse me.

: Let's give them some peace.

: Fine. Time to face the music:

: Very well then. Do you know how to play?

: Of course! I've been playing for years.

: Yeah, right. Don't get cocky, Falcon!

: Very good I shall be the dealer. We will bet five francs per game Here we go!

: Unlucky, Monsieur. Most unfortunate. Shall we have another round?

: Well played, Monsieur! Here's your payout. Shall we have another round?

: Ok, we're done here.

: No,I think we’re done. Maybe another day, monsieur.

: I understand. Feel free to come back any time.

: Yep. Let's make a move.

These cinematic scenes are only available for one day before disappearing, but they take no time to visit. Their viewing is entirely optional!

Wolves (Tchaikovsky - Marche Slave)

Word of the royal assassination attempt has spread. The proletariats grow confident. The bourgeoisie are cowering.

: Huh. Weird. Probably irrelevant though.

: Yeah. Probably because you scared her off with your crazy “tact and finesse” strategy, dummy.

: Or maybe you scared her with your horrendous and inappropriate flirting technique.

: I’ll have you know that I can flirt like a peacock in tail-fanning mode!

: We really don’t have time for this discussion. Lets just continue our investigation elsewhere.

: Not quite, Sparrowson. I'm following the hunting beagle’s advice.

: Don’t eat poisoned pork?

: The other piece of advice. That if we want to learn about a member of royalty, we should hit the library.

: Oh, that makes sense. Say, Falcon, I’ve been meaning to ask. Since were in a library, and all... Are you a classic literature fan, or do you prefer more modern works?

: I like modern novels. Have you read the Three Musketeers yet? It has heaps of romance, intrigue, and action. You would love it, Sparrowson.

: Don't patronize me, Falcon. Of course I’ve read the Three Musketeers. Despite its contrived narrative turns, I enjoyed the novel's scathing critique of our current socio-political climate.

: Wow. That's quite an insightful review-

: Wait a minute. You just memorized that single sentence to sound well-read, didn't you?

Donkey (Saint Saens - Carnival of Animals, the Donkey)

: Ah, my apologies, Monsieur. We'll keep it down.

: Wait! You’re a librarian, aren't you?

: An astute observation. Yes, Monsieur, as the only quiet person in the library, I am most assuredly the librarian.

: Well, now that we have your attention: my friend wants to ask you something.

: I do? Oh, right, I do!

: Don Quixote of La Mancha? It's a classic. Everybody has read it.

: Y-yeah. Everybody. But for those who haven't...

: Hmph. I'm not going to sit here and summarize a great work of literature for two imbeciles who are too lazy to read.

: Nor would I expect you to, monsieur. But what can you tell us about the physical book itself?

: This particular book didn't come from any library, if that"s what you're asking. See? There’s no library stamp or card. I assume it was acquired from a book shop. A French book shop, if the French translation and publishing information wasn't a giveaway.

: I see. Thank you.

: Did you have any other questions, or can I get back to work?

: You seem like a scholarly, well-read individual. I'm sure you're up to date on geopolitical news and the like.

: I don't need your praise. Spit out whatever imbecilic question is in the back of your throat.

: Uh, well, we understand that the Spanish throne is currently under dispute. Can you give us a brief run/down on who the contenders are?

: What a trivial question. Even an elementary school child can name the immediate heirs to every throne in Europe

: Y-yeah. But for the sake of those children who slept through that class, can you refresh our memories?

: Hmph. Very well. Pay attention, because I'm not repeating myself. The current reigning monarch of Spain is Queen Regnant Isabella II of the House of Bourbon, Daughter of King Ferdinand VII. Upon her death, the crown would likely fall to her husband, King Consort Francis, Duke of Cadiz. Although, it is certainly possible that an immediate family member could stake a claim. However, the queens position is currently being disputed by the Carlists, headed by the Count of Montemolin. I hope that answers your question.

: Did you catch all of that, Sparrowson?

: Not a word.

: Monsieur, were actually interested in a Prince Juan Querido of Spain. I don’t think I heard that name in your explanation.

: A Prince... Juan Querido? Is that what you said? Monsieur, I think you’ve been misinformed.

: I've mentioned before that the characters in this game come nowhere near PW levels of stupidity. This is the exception. Still true insofar as the trials go though.

: How strange...

: What does this mean, Falcon?

: Well, one thing is for sure. Our client is not the prince of Spain. Maybe he's a delusional lunatic... or perhaps he's involving us in some sort of con. We don't have long before the trial, but it may be in our interest to confront Prince Juan directly and get some answers.

: Right.

: Are you two quite done chit-chatting?

: Don't worry, monsieur. I think we are done here. Thanks for your time.

: Hmph. Then I bid you good day.

: I have no time for your quibbling, Monsieur. Stand aside.

: You can’t talk to me like that!

: I most certainly can. We have reason to believe that you are housing a suspect under false pretenses. That is in direct violation of statutes 204-B and 488-C of the French criminal code of justice. Failure to comply with our request may result in you, yes you, monsieur, being held directly responsible for any consequential legal action.

: Alright, alright. No need to break out the legalese on me. I'll go open the cell.

: Wow, Falcon. How did you memorize those criminal codes?

Carmen-Suite 'Aragonaise'

: Drop the act, Juan. You fed me a string of lies at our previous meeting, and I don't appreciate having my time wasted.

: You appear upset, senor...

: Of course I'm upset! You hired me to defend you, and then made every effort to sabotage your own case. Tell me. What's your real name?

: Why, senor, it's Juan Querido of course.

: If you want your trial to be a farce, then you don't need my help. Come, Sparrowson. We're leaving.

: Calm yourself, Monsieur Falcon. I'll reveal all.

: Did you just say monsieur? What happened to your Spanish accent?

: Your suspicions are well-placed. Juan Querido is not my real name, and I am not a Spanish prince. That was just a persona I concocted for the purpose of getting arrested.

: Why would you want to get arrested?

: Hmm. You're putting me in a difficult position, monsieur. If I tell you the full story, I would be putting someone else in danger. How about this. I'll tell you a story.

: I like stories.

: There was a girl. A mademoiselle who was in a great deal of debt.

: Everyone has a debt these days, monsieur.

: Indeed. But this particular mademoiselle was indebted to a very powerful man. And that man wished to collect. The mademoiselle had no means of paying, so the man offered her a deal. “Murder this man, and I will forget what you are owed. Refuse, and I will reap what I am owed from your parents.” With no alternative options, the mademoiselle accepted.

: But another man, a gallant knight with foolish, archaic notions of chivalry, heard the mademoiselle's story. The knight knew that murder was inevitable, but he saw a way to take the fall in the mademoiselle's place. Do you understand what I am saying, monsieur?

: To be honest, I'm completely lost.

: That's unfortunate. I thought I made the message fairly clear.

: Well, it doesn't matter. Let me give you a piece of advice, Monsieur Falcon. Sometimes, the problem doesn’t lie with the one on trial Sometimes, the problem lies within the justice system itself.

: I’m still lost.

: Me too.

: Mon Dieu, this is hopeless. Why don’t we talk about something else?

: So what is your real name?

: What's in a name? It's just an empty label. A vapid reflection of who we really are. Today I am Juan Querido, the prince of Spain. Tomorrow, I may be Bruno Reyer, a pauper living under a bridge of the Seine. But that doesn't change who I am or what I do.

: That didn't really answer my question.

: No, I suppose it didn't. But you're a smart bird, Monsieur Falcon. I suspect that you already know my real name.

: You are Renard Vulpes, private investigator.

: Very astute. And you are Monsieur Falcon, private defense attorney. But that wasn’t always your name, was it, Monsieur Falcon? Just like me, you know how to adopt a new persona on a whim.

: You changed your name, Falcon? I didn't know that!

: This isn’t about me...

: Juan... Renard... monsieur. we're (sic) trying to uncover the truth here.

: Of course. So what truth is it that you are attempting to uncover, Monsieur Falcon?

: I don't have any more questions for you, Juan. I think we've learned all we can for now.

: Really? I don’t feel that we've learned very much.

: Oh, Monsieur Falcon. Before I forget.

: Whether the birds have flown South? What is that? Some sort of code?

: Something like that. But rest assured, monsieur, that this does directly pertain to the case.

: Well, if we have time, I’ll be sure to let Mousey know.

: Let's make a move, Sparrowson. Trial day is approaching.

: Time to let Mousey know...

: Oh, right. What was I thinking?

: Oh, right.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can we just point out the clock is missing its hands, as a reason the photographer is suspicious? Or is this one of those times where we have to wait for a game's rather overly straightforward logic to catch up with us?

The pay is relevant because the bird is under oath and we're about to press the screws in, but no, not yet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, the mistake in the photograph is the fact that the clock has hands

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
^^ what he said

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, that clock ain't right and we shouldn't pry on payment.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The clock is handy evidence and his pay probably isn't relevant at this point.

Xander77 posted:

: Does his photography rate have anything to do with the, uh, case at hand?
You have the photographer's portrait here, but the dialogue sounds like it belongs to the prosecutor. Mistake?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
look ma, no hands!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure that prying on payment is just going to make us look petty, but... man, did this prosecutor even show up at the crime scene?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Glazius posted:

Pretty sure that prying on payment is just going to make us look petty, but... man, did this prosecutor even show up at the crime scene?
No, obviously. Rabbington was never at the crime scene, and Volerti wasn't actually consulted when preparing the prosecution's case. People (animals) in the Aviary Attorney case may not be quite as comically stupid as the ones in the Ace Attorney series, but they're still not exceptionally competent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: Are you feeling nervous, Falcon?

: Of course I'm nervous! What have we learned about Prince Juan? What do we know about the real murderer? Nothing!

: Easy there, Falcon! We can do this!

Georges Bizet: Carmen Suite, Aragonaise (guitArtistas)

: Senor Falcon, I trust everything is in order?

: Absolutely. I have every intention of bringing the truth to light in this trial.

: Ah, such confidence. That's magnificent to see. And bringing the truth to light, you say? An admiral (sic) goal. No more jousting at imaginary giants!

: All of you, cease your yammering. The door's openin’.

: Here we go. Buena suerte, Senor Falcon!

: We will!

: Are we ready?

: Nervous?

: Why would I be nervous?I'm not nervous.I'm as calm as a cuckoo.You’re the nervous one!This whole courtroom is nervous!

: Woah, cool your feathers, Falcon.

: Hmph. Terrible. You can't even maintain a stoic facade. I thought this trial would be the perfect opportunity for you to redeem your previous embarrassments. But if this is how you act before the trial has even started...

: Why, you pompous-tailed, posture-perfect-

Bernstein- Tchaïkovsky Marche Slave

: Order, order! Let's all settle down. Court is now in session.

: Um.

: Psst. Falcon.

: What is it?

: Is it me, or does the primary judge look... hairier... today.

: Oh. Still, it’s a little strange, isn't it?

: It is a little, I suppose...

: Judge Maxime has gone on temporary sick leave due to a terrible accident with a flight of stairs. But rest assured, assesseurs, prosecutor, defense, and members of the jury, that I am more than qualified to fill his shoes.

: Without further ado, let’s get this show underway. This is the trial of Prince Juan Querido, who stands accused of murdering Major Howl, and of conspiring to murder the king himself.

: Roll call!

: Good. Very good.

: I expect this to be a nice, speedy trial. I don't want to see this dragged out by technicalities and bureaucracy.

: Well said, your honor. I expect that, once the court sees the overwhelming evidence, this trial will be over in five minutes.

: F-five minutes?!

: He's just messing with your head, Falcon. Keep it together!

: So were all on the same page? Excellent. Prosecutor, please call your first witness to the stand.

: Very well. I call the police officer who investigated the crime scene. I call upon Inspector Juste Volerti.

: Step up to the stand, Inspector, and recite the oath.

Hector Berlioz "Grande Symphonie funebre et triomphale"

: Please recite your name and occupation for the court record.

: Now, can you tell us what you witnessed on the morning of the 7th of January?

: Of course. At 10 o'cluck in the morning, I was called to the Louvre's Grande Galerie by one of the kings royal guards.

: Did he just say o'cluck?

: There, I saw Prince Juan, King Louis Philippe, the corpse of Major Howl with a rose in hand, and around two dozen citizens.

: The citizens and the king himself all attest to seeing Major Howl taking the rose from Prince Juan’s hand, and then promptly dropping dead.

: And what did the morgue uncover upon examination of the corpse?

: The coroner determined with absolute certainty that Major Howl died of poisoning. Aside from a prick upon the finger, there was no sign of external harm to Major Howl’s body.

: Therefore, the poisoned rose must have been the cause of death.

: Putting the pieces together, that does seem very implicative of the prince. I have no further questions.

: That would make for a particularly speedy trial, wouldn't it? But no, we aren't so lucky. Something else must be amiss in the old bird’s testimony.

: Right! I’ll tear it apart. Your honor, I wish to cross-examine the witness.

: Falcon, wasn't it? Don't waste the court's time. A high-ranking police officer would never lie on the witness stand.

: I wouldn't accuse the Inspector of lying. I just want to make sure that every base is properly covered.

: Ugh. This sounds like pointless nitpicking to me. But I'll allow it. For now.

Dudamel plays the Bacchanale by Camille Saint Saens

: 10 o'cluck, you say?

: Correct, 10 o'cluck.

: From the time you were called, how long did it take you to arrive at the crime scene?

: Around five minutes. I happened to be in the neighboring Palais-Royal at the time, so it was a simple journey.

: Then I'm guessing that Major Howl would have been dead for around ten minutes by the time you arrived.

: That would be a fair estimate.

: Plenty of time for a bad guy to slip away, huh?

: That’s definitely a possibility. I don't think the court would appreciate my wild speculations though.

: Surely you meant to say 10 o'clock?

: I beg your pardon?

: You clucked... like a... chicken...

: Jayjay, do you really want to kick off this trial by picking on petty pronunciation peculiarities?

: Inspector, I would like to ask you about the victim, Major Howl. It’s curious. We've spent our whole investigation focusing on the murder, but I still don't know much about the victim himself. Exactly who was Major Howl?

: He was a royal guard. A well-respected dog who was getting on in the years. I was not friends with the man, but I had met him on several occasions in the past, at banquets and royal meetings and the sort.

: Major Howl was a stern, no-nonsense fellow, but he was a good man. His wife and children no doubt miss him.

: No doubt. Thank you for the insight, inspector.

: We have been treating this case as if the intended murder target was King Louis Philippe. But there is another possibility: what if the killer was trying to murder Major Howl from the very beginning?

: Jayjay. Stop talking. You just said something very stupid. I could explain why, and humiliate you in front of the whole court. Alternatively, you could retract your question right now, and I will save your humiliation for another day.

: (Assuming you DO retract it, you get a "On second thoughts (sic), I retract my question")

: I know a bluff when I see one, Severin! My question stands.

: First, it doesn't absolve your client of any guilt.

: If the defendant was intending to murder Major Howl, then he is still guilty of murder, and would likely face the same punishment as before.

: Second, it doesn't make any sense.

: Nobody has motive to kill Major Howl, but plenty have motive to kill the king.

: A-alright, I get it.

: Third, many citizens attested to seeing the prince try to approach the king himself, not the Major.

: His intentions were clear to everyone present.

: Fourth-

: Prosecutor, that will do. Defense, don't ask such stupid questions.

: Inspector, you say that there were around two dozen citizens, all of whom attest to seeing my client deliver the poisoned rose.

: Oh boy. When you put it like that, our situation seems a little dire, doesn't it?

: Correct. We collected precisely twenty-two testimonies, and there were no major inconsistencies.

: I would like some further details. What exactly did the testimonies say?

: Each citizen attested to seeing the king and his entourage approaching the new painting in the Grande Galerie. They each heard the king deliver a short speech, which was on the subject of progress and societal improvements and what-not.

: There was some applause. Then, prince Juan stepped out of the crowd, and approached the king with a rose in his hand. Each person then saw Major Howl take the rose from prince Juan, and each person saw Major Howl promptly drop dead.

: I see.

: Some of the descriptions of the man’s death were quite graphic. “He convulsed, twisted, and spasmed”, said one witness. “His mouth frothed like he was a rabid lunatic”, said another.

: Th-thank you, Inspector. I think we get the picture.

: Are the testimonies trustworthy?

: I saw nothing to give me doubt.

: But surely there is a possibility that the citizens were bribed or threatened?

: Falcon, I can understand having doubts about one or two testimonies, but are you really saying that twenty-two people were coerced?

: Inspector, you say that the coroner determined with certainty that Major Howl was killed by poison.

: Correct. He stated the signs and symptoms were textbook. There is no possibility that his death was natural.

: Did the coroner mention specifically what kind of poison it was?

: He was not certain. At first the coroner posited that it was a plant-borne poison like that of the aconite flower. But when he learned how fast the poison had taken effect, he noted that this was atypical of aconite.

: Consequently, he suggested that it may have been some newly-engineered concoction.

: A newly-engineered poison, you say? Well that only reaffirms that this was a very deliberate assassination attempt.

: Indeed.

: How exactly was Major Howl poisoned? What was the delivery mechanism?

: His finger was pricked by the poisoned rose. He even commented out-loud about it, seconds before dying.

: All twenty-two citizens who witnessed the murder attested to seeing and hearing this.

: Is there any possibility that he was poisoned by something else?

: What an absurd thing to ask, Jayjay. You just heard that twenty-two people saw the victim prick his finger and die. What are you suggesting? That the pricked finger had no relation to the poisoning?

: That’s exactly what I’m saying. I don’t doubt that Major Howl was poisoned, but I do doubt that the rose was the cause.

: Unbelievable! Only a total buffoon could fail to draw the blatant link here.

: Jayjay, as tempting as it is to sit here and lecture you on the basics of cause and effect, I’ll end this discussion painlessly. Inspector, please tell the defense that you found traces of poison on the thorns of the rose itself. That should alleviate all doubt that the rose was, in fact, the poison delivery mechanism.

: ...

: I dread to ask, but why not?

: We didn't check the rose for traces of poison. It just seemed obvious that the rose caused the poisoning, given the timing of the incident.

: Well then, now would be a good time to make a test. Here’s a marvelous thought: we prick the finger of the defendant with the rose. If there is no poison on the rose, then Prince Juan lives, and he is free to go. If the rose is poisoned, then the prince dies. But that’s okay, because the punishment would be just and fitting of the crime.

: A marvelous suggestion.

: Calm your feathers, Jayjay. It was clearly a joke.There are far more humane ways of testing for poison. I'm sure the Inspector will perform his duty with due diligence.

: Actually... We won’t be able to test the rose for poison at all.

: Why’s that?

: Given the dangerous nature of the flower, it was... destroyed...

: by the police force. We burned it to ashes.

: Tsk. Such unprofessionalism.

: Nice try, Jayjay, but, through the process of reasoning by elimination, we can still deduce with absolute certainty that the rose was poisoned. In other words, there was nothing else at the crime scene that could have caused the poisoning!

: Wrong! There was something else at the crime scene that could have contained the poison. Something the investigative police blindly overlooked!

: What am I supposed to be looking at?

: It is the paper wrapper to a piece of chocolate. It was found in the Louvre - the Salle du Tibre to be precise - and we can date its consumption to the day of the incident.

: You’re not suggesting-

: That Major Howl ate a piece of poisoned chocolate moments before he died? I most certainly am.

: Did you see this wrapper at the crime scene for yourself, Inspector?

: The police force does not have the time nor resources to trawl every piece of trash at every crime scene, I’m afraid.

: In other words, you overlooked it? Tsk. Astounding unprofessionalism.

: The prosecution is right to be disgusted. What a disgraceful display, Inspector!

: I offer my apologies, your honor.

: don't want your apologies. I want you to do your damned job properly! Get off the witness podium before I kick you off myself!

: As you wish. I'll take my leave. Until next time, messieurs.

: So let me get this straight. This chocolate wrapper was found at the crime scene.

: Correct.

: And you have reason to believe that it was consumed on the day of the incident?

: I do. I have an expert food-tasting witness who is willing to testify, if need be.

: You have a foodie witness? I don't recall anyone like that. Who on Earth are you talking about, Falcon-

: Hmm. But do you know for certain that Major Howl consumed this chocolate?

: Well, that is a fact that we are still investigating.

: I see. And do you have evidence that this chocolate was in-fact poisoned?

: Again, that is something that may require a little more time to definitively prove...

: So then, in actuality, you do not have evidence that Major Howl consumed some poisoned chocolate.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 23, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Interesting that while the Baron swore to speak without fear and prejudice, he left out the bit about actually telling the truth.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So he wasn't in his garden for years?

That's some mightily non-soluble cigar we found in the fountain then.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Interesting that we've used all the evidence we scared up. I wonder what else we could have learned from Robineau if we'd done it the other way around.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
I'm certainly distracted by the Red Herring
I wish to persue this obviously obvious Red Herring

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does she smoke?

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

I, too, wish to know if she smokes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: He is a man who claims to have had an excellent view of the people going in and out of the Louvre at the time of the incident. I call upon Monsieur Toussaint Kingly.

: Could the witness please approach the stand and recite the oath.

Goofy

: Oh, right. The oath. Uh, I swear to speak without hatred and without fear, to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

: Please state your full name and occupation for the court record.

: My name is Toussaint Kingly, and I am a person who fishes.

: A person who fishes? So you are a fisherman?

: Oh. Oh! Is THAT how it is? I thought the French justice system was better than this...

: I beg your pardon?

: Here comes Toussaint Kingly, the kingfisher.

: Well, you are carrying a fishing rod...

: And? And? Can a man not carry a fishing rod, reel, and bait without being branded a fisherman?

: Look! Look! The prosecutor is carrying a riding crop! CLEARLY, he must be a horse jockey!

: Oh, for pity’s sake. Fine, fine, We can list your occupation as “person who fishes”, and not “fisherman”.

: Thank you.

: Actually, why do you carry a riding crop, Severin? I’ve never seen you ride a horse.

: My sex life is none of your concern, Jayjay.

: This is veering quite far off the course. Could the prosecution please get back to his questions.

: Is "his" correct here?

: Of course, your honor. Monsieur Kingly, is it true that you were nearby the Louvre at the time of the incident?

: Yes. I was sitting upon a railing of the Pont des Arts.

: That’s right.

: And what were you doing at the time of the incident?

: I was fishing.

: So you would have had plenty of opportunity to see the people who entered and exited the palace. Can you tell us who you saw?

: Well, the Louvre's a busy place. Naturally I saw a lot of people. But at 9 am, I saw the king, Louis Philippe himself, enter the building. He was surrounded by his entourage, of course. Then, around 9:30 am, I saw this shifty-looking fox lurking around the entrance.

: Your honor, I object to the witness's use of the term “shifty-looking”. It's a vague and biased description.

: No, really! He looked super shifty! I saw him rubbing his paws and cackling gleefully.

: Rub the stern of a rose, you say? As if he were applying something to the flower, perhaps?

: Well, monsieur, I really shouldn't speculate...

: Of course. It was wrong of me to ask such a leading question.

: ...But yeah, it definitely looked like he was putting some sort of powder on the stem!

: Members of the court, it sounds like what we have here is a direct witnessing of the defendant readying the murder weapon! The defense claims that the rose was never poisoned, and yet, here we have a man who saw the poison with his own eyes.

: I smell perjury.

: You do?

: No question. He saw a shifty-looking criminal readying poison and cackling near the scene of the crime? That’s not believable at all.

: I think you might be right. I wonder if I have any evidence that calls Toussainfs story into doubt.

: Your honor, I would like to cross-examine the witness.

: Really? This nonsense again? You just heard the witness directly describe your client readying poison on a rose. What is there to question?

: I'm just trying to uncover the truth, your honor.

: UGH! Fine. Do your thing. Go on, Falcon. Go make a fool out of yourself.

Trial Turnabout

: Monsieur Kingly, you say that you were sitting upon the railings of the Pont des Arts on the morning of the incident.

: Yup.

: Is the Pont des Arts a good fishing spot?I assumed you would be better off fishing upstream, away from the city.

: It's okay. You would think the pollution would scare off the fish, but some species thrive in it. I managed to catch a seventy centimeter zander from that spot the other day.

: Really? A seventy centimeter zander? What bait were you using?

: Good question. See, some like to use worms, but I’ve found that a good roach will always triumph.

: I object! This is completely off-topic.

: Sustained. Discuss your fishy business once the trial is over.

: Monsieur Kingly, you had a good view of the Louvre's south entrance, didn't you?

: What about the other entrances?

: The other entrances? You mean, like, if you were entering from Tuileries Gardens or the Place du Carrousel? No, I couldn't possibly see those areas from the bridge.

: But of course, that isn't relevant. Monsieur Kingly witnessed Prince Juan entering the South entrance with flower in hand, and that's what counts.

: Monsieur Kingly, you say that you saw the king himself enter the Louvre.

: Indeed I did.

: Who did you see in the king's entourage?

: Well, there was the king himself. Obviously. And there were quite a few guards... maybe four or five, including a big dog who I hear is the guy who died, Major Howl. I think that was all.

: It is to my understanding that the king does most of his work in the Palais Royal, which lies to the North of the Louvre. So it's a little strange that you saw the king enter from a South entrance, is it not?

: I know what I saw, monsieur!

: Jayjay, there's little reason to doubt that the king entered the Louvre from the South. Are you really calling this basic fact into question?

: Monsieur Kingly, you claim that you saw a “shifty-looking fox”.

: Yup. Super-mega-shifty.

: That’s not a valid testimony. All foxes are shifty-looking by default.

: Woah! That's not cool.

: Mon Dieu, Jayjay! It's the 19th century! You can't just throw out slurs like that in this day and age.

: I'm just saying-

: No, you listen.

: Well said, prosecutor.

: Slurs are archaic. Now we, as a society, can hold back animals we don't like through much more subtle, institutional means.

: Wait, what?

: There must be at least one hundred foxes in Paris. How do you know that the fox you saw was Prince Juan?

: Well, he was wearing a suave hat that hanged low over his eyes. I hear that's how they wear them in Spain. And I’m not much of a fashion expert, but the rest of his outfit looked quite out of place for the French winter.

: Is that all you're going by? His fashion sense?

: Oh! I nearly forgot. I heard him call a passer-by “senor”. I thought that was peculiar.

: ...Well, that's him alright.

: Monsieur Kingly, you say that you saw a fox rubbing the stem of a rose.

: Yup. Saw it with my own eyes.

: How far away were you from the south entrance? Twenty meters, perhaps? Thirty? I'm somewhat doubtful that you can make out powder being applied to anything at those sort of distances.

: Monsieur, I don't claim to have seen the powder itself. I said that it ~looked like~ he was applying powder to the flower stem. It could have been a wax, or a liquid, or whatever. But the guy was definitely putting something on the flower.

: I see. Well, that's nice and vague.

: Are you certain that the fox was handling a rose, and not some other type of flower?

: Pretty sure. The red petals stand out quite nicely on a gray January morning.

: So you are confident? You are absolutely sure that you clearly saw a bright red flower in the fox’s hands?

: What are you getting at, Jayjay?

: What if Prince Juan didn't enter from the south entrance? What if he approached the Louvre from...

: ...Tuileries Gardens, to the West?

: That’s a big “what if". Do you have any evidence that Prince Juan entered the Louvre from Tuileries gardens?

: As a matter of fact, yes, I do. I have definitive proof that Prince Juan approached from the west, not the south.

: Hey! I know what I saw, monsieur!

: I'm doubtful too. Go on, Jayjay, show us this “definitive proof“ that Prince Juan entered from the Louvre from Tuileries gardens.

: A book page?

: Page 44 of of Don Quixote, specifically. It was found just outside the Louvre’s West entrance.

: This proves nothing.

: I'm not done yet. Take a look at this.

: This is the book Prince Juan has been reading in jail since his arrest. I believe he has had it on his person for some time. And yes, page 44 is missing. That was the first thing I checked.

: You do realize what this means, don't you, Severin? The defendant was present in Tuileries Gardens prior to entering the Louvre. This also means that, in all likelihood...

: He could not possibly have been seen by Monsieur Kingly from the Pont de Arts!

: W-what? I know what I saw, monsieur!

: A fine theory, Falcon. But maybe the defendant took the long way around. One can still travel from Tuileries to the Louvre’s south entrance by walking along the river.

: An extra two kilometers of walking just to enjoy the pre-murder scenery? Lets not say silly things, Cocorico.

: Okay. Maybe the defendant deliberately left the page there to mislead the investigation.

: Now you’re the one who's blindly speculating!

: I-it’s not blind speculation! Its a viable hypothesis!

: When torn between two seemingly equal hypotheses, we must side with the one that imposes the fewest assumptions. Which of these theories takes fewer assumptions:

: One. The page from Prince Juan’s book fell out on his way to the Louvre’s south entrance. Two. Prince Juan deliberately planted the page on the off-chance that it would be discovered, then he took the long way around.

: How dare you! The nerve of you to lecture me on such basic philosophical concepts-

: I’ll stop lecturing you when you stop making such basic mistakes.

: Monsieur Falcon! Please calm yourself! What is the point of all this yammering?

: N-no! Everything I’ve said is the truth!

: I suspect that the witness isn’t even a fisherman.

: I’m NOT a fisherman!

: See? He admits it himself.

: Th-that's not what I meant!

: Prosecutor, you have something that will put this arrogant Falcon in his place, don’t you?

: I must concede.

: You concede?!

: On this point, at least. Falcon’s evidence strongly suggests that the key component of Monsieur Kingly’s testimony is false.

: Ah! Nooo!

: This doesn’t mean that Prince Juan is innocent, of course. All Falcon has demonstrated is that this particular witness is unreliable.

: But I did see something! I really did! Alright, so maybe I didn’t exactly see a shifty-looking fox. I made that part of the story up. But I did see a swan lurking around the south entrance on the morning of the murder!

: ... A swan?

: It's that late already? Curses. I was hoping we could have the case wrapped up in a single trial session.

: It is a shame. But ultimately, an accurate sentencing is always preferable to a speedy sentencing.

: Yes, alright; I don't need to hear your moralizing. Court will resume this Friday, the 21st of January, at 9 o’clock. Don’t be late. Prosecutor, do your damned job. Get this stupid fox a conviction already.

: I will do my best to ensure that justice is served, your honor.

: Yeah. No doubt about that.

: But something’s bothering me. Why would that fisherman guy, Monsieur Kingly, lie on the witness stand?

: Well, it’s possible that he was coerced or bribed.

: That’s just what I was thinking! Maybe the real murderer threatened the fisherman into making up a story about Prince Juan.

: Let’s keep an open mind. Anything is possible at this stage. But to be perfectly honest, something else is bothering me about the trial...

: Judge Romulus. He’s acting without a shred of professionalism. He’s obviously more interested in securing a guilty verdict than he is in discovering the truth. But why?

: Maybe he has a vendetta against Spanish royalty.

: I’m not so sure. There must be something else at work here...

: A letter for me? I wonder why it wasn’t sent to my office...

: Have you been demoted to courier status, Rupert?

: Oh, hush hush, Sparrowson. I don’t need to be, uh, pitied by a first year dropout.

: Ooh, good come-back. So what does the letter say, Falcon?

: It’s... it’s a threat. A threat made with cutout newspaper letters.

: Woah! I didn’t know those things actually existed! Let me see.

: ... Scary.

: There is no question that this letter originated from Major Howl’s murderer. He - or she - must be aware that we are getting close to uncovering the truth.

: Sounds about right. But why would a person write with cutout newspaper letters like this?

: Masking one’s handwriting would be the most common reason. Although, I can’t help but wonder why they would bother, since we don’t have any handwriting samples to compare it to.

: We’re... still going ahead with our investigation though, right?

: Oh yes, absolutely. If a lawyer were deterred every time they received a threatening letter, they would never get any work done. Besides, with only three days before the next trial session, we can’t afford to be worrying about petty things like this.

: Tuesday... Wednesday... Thursday... wow, you’re right. Let’s make those days count.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 23, 2018

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Pressure him on being in the garden, we found his cigar there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xarn posted:

Pressure him on being in the garden, we found his cigar there.
Step two of the plan!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: He wants to know if the birds have flown South for the Winter. Whatever that means.

: Oh! Yes, yes! The birds have migrated successfully. But if Monsieur, I mean, Prince Juan told you that... then that must mean he trusts you! He must want you to take these. Go on! Take them, take them!

: What exactly is the point this, Mousey?

: Um, Prince Juan said that they would help with the trial. See the names, see the names!

: Gautier Cygna... Nicole Cygne... I recognize the surname, but I don’t know who these people are.

: Um, neither do I, really. Monsieur, I mean, Prince Juan just told me to book train tickets for these people, and then to make sure they caught the train. And so, and so, that’s what I did!

: Strange. I’m not sure exactly how these stubs are supposed to help with the trial, but I’ll keep hold of them, just in case.

: Let's check back on two locations that don't waste a day:

: Oh, hello again. Can I help you with something else?

: Not particularly. I just came to see if Monsieur Vulpes was around.

: (The game doesn't actually account for secondary dialog that isn't 100% necessary to win the case, unfortunately. So Falcon doesn't react to "Prince Juan's" revelation in any way)

: Not yet, monsieur.

: Come on, Falcon. Trial day is approaching fast.

: The two fools have returned. What can I help you messieurs with today? Need to know the population of Timbuktu, perhaps? Or do you Want a rundown of every character in Twelfth Night?

: Actually, Why did I come here? I’ve already learned everything I wanted to know.

: Maybe you wanted to take out a book.

: Our next destination:

Lander Hagelslak

: Or perhaps you have just returned to ask more questions?

: It's just the questions today, I’m afraid.

: Have you ever served a fisherman named Toussaint Kingly?

: He’s not a fisherman, Falcon. He’s a person who fishes and just happens to be a kingfisher.

: I don’t have time for semantic games, Sparrowson.

: In any case, no, I have not encountered such an individual, messieurs.

: Have you ever served a flower-selling swan named Catherine-Marie Cygne?

: No, monsieur.

: Hmm...

: What are you thinking, Falcon?

: I’m not sure, to be perfectly honest. If she were the chocolate fiend, then our investigation would have become much simpler. But since she’s not...

: Have you ever served a hairy wolf in judicial robes named Judge Romulus?

: Yes, monsieur.

: Alright, have you ever served-

: Yes, monsieur. A wolf in judicial robes. I did serve person like that a little while ago. On the 6th of January, to be precise.

: Did he say or do anything suspicious?

: Not that I can recall, monsieur. He was a pleasant fellow. Big toothy grin. Bought two hundred grams of classic dark Belgian chocolate with a custom filling.

: A custom filling?

: Some type of caramel. He provided it himself, although he unfortunately did not bring enough for me to sample. Hehe.

: What does this mean, Falcon?

: Well, we shouldn’t make assumptions. It may just mean that this judge liked(sic) to eat chocolate. But if the judges purchase is related to the wrapper at the crime scene, then...

: Monsieur Hagelslak, do you think I could get a copy of Judge Romulus’s receipt?

: Is it okay for us to take it, monsieur?

: Absolutely. Memorizing the receipt’s contents is trivial, after all.

{Chocolate receipt]} has been added to your evidence folder.

: Would you look at this thing? Judge Romulus signed it in green ink. Green ink! I knew Judge Romulus was shady, but only truly villainous people write in green!

: Thank you very much for your time, Monsieur Hagelslak. You have been enormously helpful.

: I'm glad to be of service. I wish you the best of luck with your case, messieurs.

: Ok, time to go to

: Or we could only have one option.

Aviary Attorney Office

: I’m somewhat relieved that “Prince Juan” came clean. His secret was putting the whole case in jeapardy.. We’ve still got one day until the trial... but how to spend it? I suppose we could revisit the Louvre... or maybe we should just play some cards at Le Canard Joyeux.

: Piss off Jayjay, that's not happening.

: Is something wrong, Sparrowson? You’re being unusually quiet.

: Falcon. We need to talk.

: What’s up?

: See, I was doing some thinking. Dangerous thing to do, I know. Anyway I realized that we were missing a crucial piece of evidence.

: What evidence would that be?

: Well, we know that Miajor Howl consumed a piece of chocolate before he died. And we know that he died of poisoning. But we still aren’t sure that the chocolate was the cause.

: So I thought to myself, if one were to consume the wrapper itself, then that may provide proof of whether it contains traces of poison.

: Well.. sure... that could work, but it would be incredibly foolish. Wait, were you thinking of eating the wrapper, Sparrowson?

: Maybe.

: Well, stop those thoughts right now. I’m not going to let you potentially kill yourself like that.

: Heh. I knew you would say that. That’s why I already consumed the wrapper...

THUD

: Doctor! Is Sparrowson okay?

: Well, he's not conscious right now, but he is stable. I think its safe to say that your friend is not on his deathbed.

: Oh, thank God.

: How did you say this happened, again?

: It's... a long story. Lawyering occupational hazard. Doctor, can you tell me what poison caused this?

: I have no idea. I'm an expert in mental health, not toxicology. But I have sent for a specialist who should be here by tomorrow morning. He will make a full assessment.

: That’s good to hear. Thanks, doctor. Take good care of him.

: We’ll have to discuss it later. I have an important case to prepare for, and I'm one partner down.

: I see. Well, rest assured that your friend is in good hands.

: Did someone say something?

: Running around like a headless chicken... you’re one tricky lawyer to find. I told you to drop the investigation, but you just wouldn’t listen.

: Who’s speaking? I can’t see you, monsieur. Step forward.

: Alright. I’ll step forward. But it will be the last thing you’ll ever see.

SMACK!

Drag... drag... drag...

Splash.

Aquarium The Carnival of Animals - Aquarium

Aquarium (Carnival of Animals - Aquarium)

: I made no mistakes. I did my duty as a lawyer.

: Your duty put an innocent man on death row, Monsieur Falcon. I hope you’re proud of that.

: It wasn't my fault...

: “It wasn’t my fault”? Is that the excuse you make after all of your failures?

: I’m not making excuses.

: Failure after failure after failure. No desire to improve yourself. You're a joke of a lawyer, Jayjay.

: Don't call me Jayjay!

: That's all you have to say? How pathetic. You don’t even deserve to stand in your grandfather's shadow.

: My... my grandfather?

: What? No, no. I'm just here to tell you to wake up. Wake up, monsieur. Wake up. Hey, can you hear me? I said wake up...

: I said wake up! You're starting to worry me...

: ...Ugh... my head......Where am I?

: The Pont Des Arts. Y’know, by the Louvre. In Paris. France. I just fished you out of the Seine. Nearly broke my rod doing it.

: You're that disrespectful lawyer-guy. Jiro Falco or something?

: What time is it... actually, what day is it?

: You hit your head pretty hard, huh? It's the 21st of January, and around nine o’clock in the morning by my reckoning.

: 21st... nine o'clock... oh no, the trial! I should have been at the Cour d’Assises ten minutes ago!

: Welp, you're running late. But take it easy, monsieur, I’m sure they'll be understanding.

: Maybe if I sprint it...

: In your condition? That would be stupid. Take a seat. Clear your head. I'll go get some dry clothes..

: No time.

: What's this? A dip pen? No, wait, it's a modern fountain pen. Bone handle... gold nib... this is very fancy.

: Thanks, monsieur, but this isn't mine.

: Really? Are you sure? You were holding it pretty tightly when I found you.

: ...I was holding this? Then...I suppose it has to be mine.

{[Fountain pen]} has been added to your evidence folder.}

: Thanks, fisherman. I owe you one.

: It's 9 o’clock. I believe it’s time for the roll call.

: Is the defense not present?

: Tsk. Such unprofessionalism.

: If there is no defense, then this trial cannot proceed any further. We must make a ruling based on the evidence that has already been presented.

: I will now converse with the jury. We shall decide whether Prince Juan is guilty of murdering Major Howl, and of conspiring to murder the king.

: Your honor, may I have a word?

: Fine. But make it quick.

: I'm a firm believer that a trial must be orderly and punctual. There is no room for wishy-washy dilly-dallying. But it seems somewhat rash to end a trial session the moment it is due to start. Perhaps it would be prudent to wait five or ten minutes, in case the defense is just a little tardy. Then the trial still has a chance to proceed, and justice will be served

: You are the prosecution, are you not? You have nothing to worry about. A guilty verdict is all but guaranteed.

: Your honor, you appear confused. I'm not here to secure a guilty verdict.

: Of course you are. You're a prosecutor. By definition, you’re here to prosecute.

: An unfair and unbalanced trial is not in the spirit of justice.

: That's very noble of you, but if the defense is absent, then there is little that can be done. I’ll hear no more about this matter.

Trial Opening

: You're too late, Falcon!

: Mon Dieu, Jayjay, you look like a total mess. Did you take a morning swim in the Seine or something?

: S... Something... like that.

: Your honor, we are all present. We are only three minutes over schedule. Lets not needlessly dirty the pure name of justice.

: Rules are rules, prosecutor. Falcon clearly has no respect for legal procedure. Frankly, for turning up while looking like a drowned rat, I ought to hold him in contempt of court.

: Your honor... ~wheeze~

: But your honor-

: Rules are rules! One more word out of either of you, and I shall have you both disbarred!

: The... The king of France?! He's here?!

King Louis Philippe (?)

: Uh... your majesty! What a surprise! We, uh, well, you see..

: You know, its my seventh time testifying against a would-be assassin.

: That's 100% accu-rat.

: But it's the first time seeing a trial where the case has ended before it even began.

: Well, the defense, he was late, and uh..

: Oh, pish-posh. France didn't become a great and dignified kingdom through rigorous punctuality.

: Let's go ahead with this trial. It'll be fun. Look, I'll say the oath to get us started!

: Did I get it right?

: That was perfect, your majesty. Jayjay, I trust you have no objections with the king testifying?

: No! No objections here. Going ahead with the trial is fine with me.

: And surely you wouldn't stand in the way of the king, would you, your honor?

: Excellent.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 23, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: Now, your majesty, could you tell us your activities on the day of the murder?

: My activities? Well, I started my day with tea and toast, as I normally do. I was dressed in my PJs at the time...

: I think you can skip ahead a little. Perhaps to your arrival at the Louvre.

: Ah, right. Of course.

: Well, my entourage and l entered through the Louvre's south entrance around 9 o’clock. We passed through the Salle du Tibre with little fanfare. At the Grande Galerie, I unveiled the new painting and gave a short speech to inspire the citizens who attended. That's when I was approached by a man claiming to be the prince of Spain. He presented a rose, which was taken by Major Howl, and, well, I think you know the rest.

: Indeed we do, your majesty. Madames and messieurs of the court, what We have here is another testimony that establishes Prince Juan's guilt. And this is no ordinary testimony - it is the testimony of perhaps the most trustworthy man in all of France.

: Oh, you flatter me, prosecutor.

: But I am the trustworthiest in all the kingdom, aren't I?

: Nonetheless, I would like to perform a cross-examination.

: How dare you doubt your king?! The utter nerve...

: Oh, calm yourself, judge. I have no qualms with standard legal procedure.

Trial Turnabout

: Your majesty, you say that you entered the Louvre from the south entrance.

: Indeed. We approached from the Hotel de Ville, so it was an easy riverside stroll.

: Did you see anyone or anything suspicious around the Louvre’s entrance?

: Suspicious? I’m afraid not, monsieur. Just the regular riverside types. Bourgeoisie, Vendors, people-who-fish, and the like.

: Are you sure that you entered the Louvre's south entrance?

: Oh mon Dieu, Falcon. Are you seriously still tugging at this thread? The king himself just testified, under oath, no less, that he entered through the south entrance. You can’t possibly have any reason to call this fact into question.

: Your majesty, you say that you passed through the Salle du Tibre uneventfully.

: Indeed. We stopped briefly to look at the paintings, and then moved on to the Grande Galerie.

: There are several rooms between the Louvre's south entrance and the Grande Galerie, but you've only mentioned the Salle du Tibre by name. Why is that?

: Oh, the Salle du Tibre was the only room we looked around in detail. The other rooms, we simply passed straight through.

: Why did you stop in that room specifically?

: Well, see, there was this giant doorstop that caught my eye and sparked a debate.

: Say no more, your majesty.

: Could you elaborate? What did you see in the Salle du Tibre?

: What did I see? Well, Roman stuff, mostly.

: I meant, aside from the Roman artifacts. For example, did you talk to someone in the room who wasn't a member of your entourage?

: You're reaching, Jayjay. The king already testified that he passed through without encountering anything of interest.

: Now, your majesty, I would like to ask about your activities in the Grande Galerie.

: Please proceed.

: Could you give us a rendition of your speech?

: What, right now? Without my cue cards? I'll give it a shot, I suppose.

: Uh, madames and messieurs, welcome to the grand unveiling of my beautiful portrait.

: I don't claim to be the greatest king penguin to have reigned over France.

: Nor the handsomest. Nor the most competent. Some may argue that I'm not even top ten material.

: But I am a humble king penguin. Some consider me to be the humblest king penguin of all time.

: Your honor, I object. This speech is a travesty.

: Sustained.

: Your majesty, you say that you were presented with a rose by the prince of Spain.

: Indeed. He formally introduced himself. I knew he was telling the truth, because he called me “Senor”.

: I find it curious that Major Howl snatched the rose before you could take it. Why did he do that?

: The major has always been a protective fellow. I think he was just doing his diligence as a royal guard. And given how he took the figurative bullet for me, I would say that he did his job well.

: Well, I can't argue with that.

: Your majesty. Prosecutor. Members of the court. Brace yourselves, because I have a revelation that will turn this trial on its head.

: That's not a revelation, Falcon.

: It isn’t?

: Of course not. We all know that the current ruler is Queen Regnant Isabella II, and that she has no children. The Queridos are obviously pretenders to the throne. Prince Juan's title is probably self-appointed.

: Aside from the prince of Spain, did you see anyone out of the ordinary in the Grande Galerie?

: Why, monsieur. The Grande Galerie is always inhabited by artists. Everyone there is out of the ordinary.

: Nonetheless, can you think of anyone who stood out?

: Is this question going somewhere, Jayjay? Or are you blindly stabbing in the dark?

: It's a perfectly fine question. Please answer, your majesty. Who did you see?

: Well, I don't know. I saw dozens of paintbrush-wielding, mustache-touting weirdos.

: Be specific, your majesty!

: I... I saw photographers and sculptors and sketchers and hipsters and.. and...Just what do you want me to say, monsieur?

: Badgering the king? Tut-tut. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

: Could you elaborate? What did you see in the Salle du Tibre?

: What did I see? Well, Roman stuff, mostly.

: I meant, aside from the Roman artifacts. For example, did you talk to someone in the room who wasn't a member of your entourage?

: You're reaching, Jayjay. The king already testified that he passed through without encountering anything of interest.

: I have reason to believe that this was a key moment on the day of the murder. I want the king to elaborate on exactly what and who he saw.

: Then I suppose that you will have to proceed, your majesty.

: Alright. Let me think. So there was that giant doorstop... and there was that copper urn thing...

: I was offered a box of chocolates by some peasant mademoiselle. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but Major Howl was keen to accept a chocolate or two on my behalf.

: WHAT?!

: Hmm? Did I say something startling, prosecutor?

: N-no. Please continue, your majesty.

: I think the prosecution is startled because he just came to the realization that I was not spouting drivel in the previous trial session.

: To cut a long story short, your majesty, this mademoiselle may hold some relevance to the case at hand. Could you describe her?

: Really? She's relevant? Well, let me think... I didn't get a good look at her face. But she was a sorry-looking swan. Probably in her late teens or early twenties.

: A young, sorry-looking swan, you say. I don't suppose her name was...

: Mademoiselle Cygne?

: Cygne... That sounds familiar. Why yes, I think that was it! She was called Mademoiselle Cygne!

: I see. This is undoubtedly significant. Mademoiselle Cygne gave chocolates to Major Howl minutes before he died.

: Now just one minute! I see what you are alluding to, Jayjay. You're suggesting that the gifted chocolates killed the Major. But that line of reasoning holds no weight because the evidence is circumstantial.

: Yes. That much is no longer in dispute. But you still have not proved that the chocolates were poisoned. Without that, we must assume that the swan was merely offering a gift, rather than speculating that she is a murderer.

: Yes. YES! Shame on you, defense! Implicating a poor, innocent girl like that! Absolutely disgusting! Why, I ought to end this trial...

: Hold on! I do have evidence that the chocolate was, in fact, poisoned.

: I don't believe you, Jayjay. If you had a piece of evidence that significant, you would have slammed it down already. Present it.

: Well... I can't. It's not really the “evidence folder” type of evidence.

: Why am I not surprised?

: The drama was just getting good! Why did you all suddenly go quiet?

: Well, your majesty, it appears that the defense just had a realization of his own. That is, that he lacks the evidence to support his theory. Since he cannot continue with his argument, I believe the cross/examination has come to an end.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 23, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:confuoot:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well then...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
We did it, thread? :confuoot:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Good job, gang :smith:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm still impressed that they went for it right on the first case.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Seeing that the first time (from the previous LP) was shocking. I wonder if it's a one time thing that colors your expectations for the rest of the game.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Come to think of it, it is kind of a shame that they didn't call the character Chatterline instead of Caterline. It would be a nice multi-level pun instead of the single-level one we have now. In French, "chatte" literally means female cat, but is also used as a slang term equivalent to "pussy" in English. And of course "chatter" as well, but that doesn't really fit the character.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, you have to believe in the innocence of your client.

But people believe in a lot of things that aren't true.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh shiiiiiiiit :stonkhat:

I might have to play this game myself now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Congratulations! We mounted a successful defense of our client. :toot:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The legal profession: sometimes it's your job to cause objectively bad things to happen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Possible spoiler question about that case: Does she confess if you fail?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
We did it? :confuoot:

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

PMush Perfect posted:

Possible spoiler question about that case: Does she confess if you fail?

No, she simply gets the Guilty verdict. Although, this is probably just deserts for her

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
We did it gang, we successfully defended our client. :toot:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: I’m not done yet! Let me present my evidence!

: Stop, Jayjay. Stop while you still have a little dignity. The results of whatever crackpot, pseudo-scientific experiment you performed do not constitute valid evidence. I think this trial is over, your honor.

: About bloody time. You may take your leave, your majesty.

: Very well. I am pleased that justice has been thoroughly served.

: Until the next assassination attempt, adieu, messieurs.

: I will now deliberate with the jury-

: The game punctuates startling revelations with a cymbals clash, but I can't be bothered to capture it. And youtube is really not forthcoming with properly dramatic 2-second clashes.

Trial Turnabout 2

: Sorry. I’ve always wanted to do that.

: Sparrowson! Are you okay?

: Yup. The doctor said that I have an iron stomach. Most of the poison passed straight through me. Speaking of which, I would like to testify on that poisoned chocolate issue. I even got a doctor"s note. See?

: You can't be serious, your honor. The contents of that note could turn this entire trial on its head. You must allow it.

: Why are you constantly arguing with me? I thought the job of a public prosecutor was to assist the judges.

: I told you, your honor. My job isn’t to get a guilty verdict. It is to ensure that justice is served.

: I swear, you are the worst prosecutor in all of France...

: Go ahead, Sparrowson. Read the contents of the note for the court to hear.

: ~Ahem~

: “This patient, Sparrowson, was submitted to Salpétriere hospital, where he displayed a variety of symptoms. These included profuse sweating, a rapid fever, and severe nausea. The patient was diagnosed with poisoning, probably originating from the plant known as aconite, a.k.a monkshood, a.k.a wolf's bane. When we questioned the patient, he admitted to having consumed a discarded chocolate wrapper potentially carrying the poison. Examining the contents of the patient’s stomach confirmed this to be true.”

: Uh, yadda, yadda... okay, here we go. “Signed, Doctor Falret”.

: Thank you, Sparrowson. I don’t think I'll even need to question you. Between your note and the kings testimony, every angle of the chocolate wrapper business has been covered.

: Awesome! W-wait, did you say the king is here?

: You can get his autograph later.

: To be honest, I see little to cross-examine.

: Do your damned job, prosecutor! Cross-examine that little, annoying liar of a bird! Tear his testimony to shreds!

: Your honor, he has a note, signed by a medical professional, definitively proving that the chocolate wrapper from the crime scene was poisoned. We could nitpick the details, or delve into the doctor's credentials, but I fear it would be a waste of the courts time. Nobody wants that.

: GAH! So then, what the hell do we do now?

: We do nothing, your honor. This poisoned wrapper has introduced an element of doubt into the case. The prosecution must accept that.

: Tenuous. . .

: A step above circumstantial. You have proven a link. A not-wholly-illogical link. But you haven't proved beyond doubt that Major Howl was killed by the chocolate.

: You are still making far too many assumptions. Where is the empiricism that is required by any good court of law? Where are the witnesses who can back up your claims?

Bizet - Intermezzo from Carmen Suite No.1

: You...

: Sparrowson. Its great to see you on your feet, and you have been an enormous asset to this case. But what are you trying to pull off now?

: Surprise witness!

: Surprise witness?

: Yeah! I remember you mentioning that Cocorico liked calling surprise witnesses, so I thought we would beat him at his own game! I brought the flower girl, Mademoiselle Cygne, so that she can testify about Prince Juan's character.

: You're putting me in a difficult position, Sparrowson. Just moments before you arrived, we, the court, established that Mademoiselle Cygne is a possible suspect for this case.

: What? That can’t be right!

: Sparrowson, it's okay. Monsieur Falcon, I would like to testify.

: You want to testify? Do you understand what you are agreeing to?

: I do. I have accepted my fate.

: Prosecutor, do you have any objections to me calling upon Mademoiselle Cygne as a witness?

: No, none. Bearing in mind, of course, that you are here to defend prince Juan, not to convict Mademoiselle Cygne.

: I have no objections either. Please, proceed, witness. Speak the oath.

: The oath?

: I swear, your honor. I swear to speak without hatred and without fear, to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

: Good. Very good.

: Please state your name and occupation for the court record.

: My name is Catherine-Marie Cygne, and I am a flower seller.

: Mademoiselle Cygne, tell the courtroom of your activities on the morning of the 7th of January.

: Very well. I saw the king and his entourage enter the Louvre around 9 o’clock. I followed. When they came to a stop in the Salle du Tibre, I stepped forward and offered the king a chocolate. He refused. But a guard, a big dog by the name of Major Howl, was happy to oblige. The guard died because I, personally, had previously added poison to the chocolates.

: Why did you do it, mademoiselle?

: Why. . . Monsieur, people have tried to kill the king before, and people will try again. He is a vile man who has no respect or love for the people who suffer under him. I did it to better the French people.

: I don't believe that at all!

: Falcon, say something!

: Mademoiselle, are you being coerced or threatened? Speak freely.

: No, monsieur. I’m confessing out of my own volition. It is my guilt, and nobody else’s.

: I suppose that gets your client, Prince Juan, completely off the hook. Lucky you. So, shall we wrap this court session up?

: No. Not yet. I have further questions for the witness, your honor.

: Further questions? To what end? You've already proved your client’s innocence.

: I wish to uncover the truth.

: You aren't here to uncover the truth. You're here to defend Prince Juan. And you’ve done that job with a disgusting level of diligence.

: Nonetheless, I believe the mademoiselle has omitted something of huge importance. I wish to question her further.

: Something of huge importance...

: I won't allow it.

: Fine. Can I at least show something to the witness?

: Fine. If it will shut you up, I will let you show one magical mystery item to the witness. I can't imagine you'll have anything up your sleeve to change the flow of this trial, though.

: Monsieur Falcon, save it. I have nothing more to say.

: Please take a look at these, mademoiselle.

: Train ticket stubs?

: Look at the names.

: ...Papa and maman...

: They are. The tickets were arranged courtesy of the fox.

: Then... that means the wolf has nothing to hold over me. I can speak freely.

: Indeed. Go ahead, mademoiselle.

: What are you two muttering about down there?

: I’m amending my testimony, your honor.

: Members of the court. Everything I’ve said today has been the truth. I did go to the Louvre on the 7th of January. I did present a box of poisoned chocolates to the king. Except, it was not of my volition. I was threatened I was forced to carry out the task under threat of harm. You see, my family has been struggling to get by. The Winter has been harsh, and my flower business has been struggling. One day, a man approached me. A man I assumed to be kind-hearted. This man offered me two hundred francs to get us through the cold. But I could not afford to repay the debt. When I attempted to bargain with the man, and he offered me a deal. Assist him with murder, and he would drop all debts. Refuse, and he would ruin me and my parents. I obliged, because the alternative meant death for those I love. The name of the man who did this...

: HA! What a creative story. This is obviously a last-minute, desperate attempt at passing the buck. The sheer laziness of this girl to accuse a man she's never met before.... she's blatantly floundering!

: Indeed. I've heard dozens of these self-pitying yarns during my time as a prosecutor. Although admittedly, this is the first time I’ve seen a witness directly accuse a judge. Quite a brazen gambit. But in any case, these sorts of stories never turn out to be true. They are always proven to be fabrications born of desperation.

: I’ve never been more honest, monsieur.

: Listen, Mademoiselle Cygne. I would like to believe your story. But accusing a man - a judge, no less - of conspiring to murder the king is a hugely serious accusation. Do you have any proof to support your story?

: Proof?

: That contract would suffice as proof.

: The contracts were all verbal. He... he said the money was a gift, at first. And only later said that I had to repay him...

: Heh. How convenient. Of course this supposed contract doesn’t exist. The mademoiselle has no proof because her story is a blatant lie.

: Falcon, you have to do something! Do we have anything to link Judge Romulus to Mademoiselle Cygne?

: Members of the court, I know for certain that the mademoiselle's story is true. I can say, with certainty, that Judge Romulus has made contact with Mademoiselle Cygne in the past. I know this because, at this very moment, I am holding a key piece of evidence that links Judge Romulus directly to the crime scene!

: I think you should take a look at this, Séverin.

: Hmm? Me? You don't trust it in the judge’s hands?

: What? What is that?

: What does that piece of paper say?!

: This is a receipt for a box of chocolates... from “Lander Hagelslak’s Chocolate Emporium”... on the 6th of January... Made out to...

: The writing upon the receipt is clear. A man named Romulus bought chocolates on the day before the murder.

: And we've got Lander's own testimony to back it up.

: These chocolates happened to have been of the same brand and flavor as the ones that were used in the royal assassination attempt. By itself, this evidence would not be definitive. It would only suggest that the judge has something of a sweet tooth. But taken in conjunction with the mademoiselle's updated testimony...

: ...That would imply that the judge was directly involved in the assassination attempt!

: Judge Romulus! Do you have anything to say about this?

: Yep. That receipt’s not mine. I haven't stepped foot in a chocolate shop in years.

: You cannot be serious. The receipt is indisputable proof of your purchase.

: And even if you could dispute the receipt, we can just summon Lander to testify.

: What you have there is a scrap of paper with the word “Romulus” scrawled on it. Is it a forgery? Are there simply two men named Romulus living in Paris? I don't have a clue. What I do know, is that you have nothing to prove that I was the one i who signed that receipt.

: Does Paris have two wolfy-judges called Romulus? Because an eye-witness explicitly identified you.

: This is absurd. Do you want me to dig up court documents with your signature so we can undertake a handwriting analysis?

: Or, we could- (you get the point. This is dumb)

:That woldn't be possible. I believe his honor uses a rubber stamp for signing off on official court documents.

: Heh. That would be correct.

: Well, it's no matter. I don't need the judge's signature. I already have, in my possession, proof that the signature on the receipt belongs to Judge Romulus

: Oh, but first things first. I believe you dropped your pen, your honor.

: Oh yeah, that's literally the only way this bit of evidence would actually work. By having every single character act PW-levels stupid.

: Hmm? Oh, yeah, that's mine. Thanks, I've been looking for that thing everywhere.

: I thought as much. Madames and messieurs. Last night, I was assaulted outside Salpétriére Hospital.

: Oh, so that’s why you smell of fish. I wanted to say something, but I thought it might be rude.

: This fountain pen is is the very item l grabbed.

: D-did I say that this pen was mine? On closer inspection, I see I must have been mistaken.

: Save it, your honor. I am not here to press assault charges. What interests me most about this pen is the ink it contains. It is emerald green in color.

: And as we all know, only baddies write in green.

: Well, yes, but more importantly, it's a rare and unusual choice of ink color. I would venture that only a dozen people in all of Paris are arrogant enough to write in green. And I would venture that only one of those arrogant people is named Romulus.

: So Judge Romulus lacks respect for classic penmanship. What of it?

: Take another look at the chocolate receipt, Séverin. That receipt was signed...

: ...It certainly is quite a coincidence.

Trial Turnabout 2

: No! There is no more room for coincidence! There is no more doubt! There is only one narrative that can tie this ridiculous string of evidence together. On the 6th of January, you, Judge Romulus, bought a box of chocolates with a custom filling. That custom filling contained poison, originating from the flowers of Mademoiselle Cygne, a street seller who owed you a debt. On the 7th of January, you, Judge Romulus, leveraged that debt to force the girl to present the poisoned chocolates to the king. Then, an idiot of a man by the name of Juan framed himself as the murderer in order to take the fall in Mademoiselle Cygne’s stead. You pushed for Juan's guilt by priming a witness, Monsieur Toussaint Kingly. And when that failed, you pressured Mademoiselle Cygne to take full responsibility for the crime.

: Fine! I do admit it! I did it! I purchased the chocolates! I added the poison! I put a peasant girl in debt just so I could force her to take the fall! I was the one who wanted the king murdered! But there is not a drat thing any of you can do about it! I am the one who holds the gavel! I am the one who passes the sentences! With a snap of my fingers, I could have each and every one of you guillotined at the Place d’Austerlitz before nightfall!

: Attempting to murder a king... corrupting the Cour d'Assises...

: What an utterly repulsive individual.

: Don't touch me, you dirty pig! You have no authority over me!

: I'm not done!

: I'm not done with any of you!

: You’re all guilty! You'll see!

: A revolution is coming! The rebels will overrun Paris! The king and government will fall! The bourgeois will be slaughtered!

: We shall have a glorious Second Republic! A republic free of class! Where everyone is free and equal!

: Just another ranting lunatic, your majesty. Ignore him.

: What... what happens now?

:

: Uh...

: I... I guess I'm supposed to take over the president judge's duties? Well, given the surprising series of revelations that just took place, we believe that the results are clear.

: Not Guilty!

Victory Fanfare

: What... what happens to me now?

: Mademoiselle. It is clear that you were coerced. However, you still played a significant role in the kings assassination attempt. By all rights, you must be tried for your crimes.

: I see. I cannot argue.

: Consequently, I believe that most of the testimonies given during this trial session would not be seen as valid in a court of law.

: What does that mean?

: He’s saying you're free to go!

: Correct. As a prosecutor, I see no crime to prosecute.

: R-really? Thank you so much, monsieur!

: So... are my parents really in Vienna?

: I think so, but you would have to ask the fox for details. I don't know exactly what he arranged. Although, now that Judge Romulus poses no threat, I suppose your parents would be free to move back to Paris.

: Actually... I may follow them. To Vienna.

: You need a holiday after all this drama?

: Well, yes, but also I want to get away from here before... you know. Before the fighting starts.

: You mean the revolution Judge Romulus mentioned? He doesn't seem mentally stable, Pay him no mind.

: Its not just him, monsieur. In the streets, everyone talks of an uprising. If you were smart, you would clear out of here too.

: Thanks for the concern, mademoiselle.

: I see. Then, good luck, messieurs. And farewell. Maybe we can meet again when this has all blown over.

: Wait, mademoiselle! Don't you want to have a quick celebratory drink?

: So I guess it's ust you, me, and the fox. Right, Falcon?

: That sounds good, Sparrowson. Take Prince Juan back to the Aviary office. I need to sort out some paperwork with Séverin.

: Okie dokie.

: Everything went far better than I could have hoped But you surprised me at the end with that little lie of yours.

: Lie?

: "This trial’s testimonies are completely invalid”? Bullcock. You and I both know that this trial has produced ample valid evidence for Mademoiselle Cygne to be detained and tried. Even with the coercion accounted for, I bet she would still be found guilty of conspiracy or accessory to murder. So, why are you holding back?

: Hmm. You know, ten, maybe even five years ago, I probably would have prosecuted Mademoiselle Cygne. When I was fresh out of law school, I thought my role as a prosecutor was to condemn every potential criminal that came my way. I thought, “if the guilty person ends up behind bars or on the hanging dock, then justice has been served.” But as I gained experience, I started noticing the details.

: The details?

: The extenuating circumstances. The personal considerations.

: I hated it. So I changed my role. I decided that I should not strive to secure a guilty verdict, but to ensure that justice is served. I could prosecute Mademoiselle Cygne, and she would definitely be convicted. But that would not serve justice.

: You’re a good lawyer, Cocorico.

: You... Well, you’re not terrible, Falcon.

: Heh. What am I doing, still using that old accent? I of course meant, congratulations, Monsieur Falcon and Monsieur Sparrowson.

: It's no big deal. We were just doing our jobs.

: No, no. Your job ended when you proved my innocence. Everything after that was you going above and beyond your duties. Of course, I was counting on you to do so. A lesser lawyer would surely have stumbled or caved in. Oh, but before I forget. Your payment.

: Wait! Monsieur Vulpes. Before you go, something's been bothering me. Why did you come to us in the first place? Surely there are much more reputable lawyers out there who could have done a better job.

: Oh? More reputable than the falcon that stands before me?

: Uhh, yeah. Falcon's got a sucky track record.

: True, he does have a. mixed record, but his family name is hugely respected in the lawyering world. I chose Monsieur Falcon as my lawyer for that reason alone.

: Huh? Really? I’ve never heard of another lawyer named Falcon.

: Let’s not go down this road, Monsieur Vulpes. I don’t go by my old name for a reason.

: That is fair. We shouldn't be fixated on the past, should we? After all, it's already been and gone.

: You mean the revolution that the crooked judge mentioned?

: Indeed. I dare say that the wolf is right. A rebellion is coming, one way or the other. Listen, Monsieur Falcon. You’ll probably have a surge of work over the coming days. If you want me to dig up the dirt on anyone, please feel free to drop by my office at any time.

: Dig up the dirt?

: I am a private investigator. It's what I do.

: We'll bear it in mind. Thank you, Monsieur Vulpes.

: Good day, messieurs.

: Seriously, Falcon?

: What? I was just going to ask if you wanted tea or coffee.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 23, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Time for our old reliable friend, . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know.

Because, I mean, it's Sparrowson. He can say that about anything.

• Locked thread