Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

1. Twins
2. Washington
3. Astros
3. Dodgers
4. Diamondbacks
5. Rockies
6. Cubs
7. Getting dysentery
8. Indians, yankees, red sox

ETA: Wellp getting struck out 15 times doesn't feel great

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/09/29/1855071283/1506713285241/asset_1800K.mp4

MNIMWA fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

The Juan Uribe World Series MVP Award you say
sure why not

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The World Series MVP award was renamed in honor of Willie Mays (People were upset about this, so let’s make fun of them)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

quote:

My response goes something like this:

It’s Willie Mays

Dude, seriously, Willie Mays.
Accurate and I'm not a Giants fan

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Tony Phillips posted:

You and me both. Rasmus is also .016 off the highest batting average.

But.....

This. Rasmus just happens to make baseball-reference's default cut offs.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/Playoffs_batting.shtml
I never would have found it otherwise.

Side notes from that page:

:holy: Gehrig and Ruth in the 1928 Series.
Highest OPS for a single year's post season.
1. Gehrig 1928 - 2.433 (6 for 11 with 4 HRs a double and 6 walks.)
2. Ruth 1928 - 2.022 (10 for 16 with 3Hrs, 3 doubles and a walk.)

drat, Jeets had an entire season's worth of plate appearances in the post season, almost 200 more than the next closest :eyepop:

I wonder if that's a record that will ever be beaten.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

b-minus1 posted:

it sucks that the cardinals wont make the playoffs, but it will be worth it to watch the cubs choke in the playoffs.

After the Cubs beat the Cardinals in the playoffs in 2015, then won the World Series last year, and then knocked them out of contention this year, your post is kind of weak.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

1. Astros
2. Twins
3. Nationals
4. Cubs
5. Rockies
6. Dodgers
7. D Backs
8. Yankees
9. Red Sox

Some rumor out there saying that the Cards are going to go after Josh Donaldson hard this offseason. I hate the idea of him going to a team I don't like but I do think trading him now probably makes sense.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

My Actual Teams Tier
Twins
Brewers (long shot but who knows?)

Cool Teams
Astros
Nationals
Rockies

Eh, Sure I Guess
Diamondbacks
Indians

gently caress Me With A Rusty Metal Dildo
Dodgers
Yankees
Red Sox
Cubs

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

b-minus1 posted:

it sucks that the cardinals wont make the playoffs, but it will be worth it to watch the cubs choke in the playoffs.

Not sure it qualifies as choking if they lose to a team with a better regular season record, which would be literally every other NL playoff team except the Rockies.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I really don't mean to sound like an idiot, but is Steve Dalkowski for real? It sounds like Sid Finch, but for real.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

So I decided to jump to the NFL thread and I just watched the Dai-Sun Koo pretty good episode, so I gives up now.

Next thing they poison marathon runners.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Charlie Blackmon just set the record for RBIs from leadoff.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I really don't mean to sound like an idiot, but is Steve Dalkowski for real? It sounds like Sid Finch, but for real.

Oh he was very real. Oriole's minor leaguer that might have been the fastest pitcher ever recorded. He was the basis for Nuke LaLoosh in Bull Durham and threw even harder - and had even less idea where the ball was going to go.

I remember reading about him in a book by Ron Luciano - he was yanked from a no hitter after striking out 12 in 5 innings but walking 10. In another game he struck out 24 but walked 18. He broke the webbing in his catcher's mitts and put holes in the backstop fence. Never made it past AA and was rumored to throw close to 120mph.

If he had even an ounce more control, he might have been the greatest anyone ever saw. Never could get that last piece together tho and got released young after blowing out his elbow.

This Wikipedia like sums it all up:

"Dalkowski had a lifetime win-loss record of 46–80 and an ERA of 5.57 in nine minor league seasons, striking out 1,396 and walking 1,354 in 995 innings." 😳

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

Charlie Blackmon just set the record for RBIs from leadoff.
How long before every single season counting stat record is held by a Rockies player?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

How long before every single season counting stat record is held by a Rockies player?

I assume you mean hitting only. Because Rickey Henderson will take a crowbar to any motherfucker that gets over 100 stolen bases in a season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

I assume you mean hitting only. Because Rickey Henderson will take a crowbar to any motherfucker that gets over 100 stolen bases in a season.
naturally

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

naturally

In that case Jeets just needs to trade Stanton to the Rockies to dump salary. Do it, Jeets.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Stanton went like 1-15 this week in Colorado when everyone was hoping he'd hit a million homers to get to 61+. :mad:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

100 wins for the Astros :toot:

Charlie Morton finishes the year with 141.1 IP, 10.1 K/9, 1.21 WHIP, 3.63 ERA, 3.53 FIP and a 13-7 record. Much better than I ever expected when he was signed

Indians magic number is 1 now so not getting my hopes up but still alive for the AL's best record

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

100 wins for the Astros :toot:

Charlie Morton finishes the year with 141.1 IP, 10.1 K/9, 1.21 WHIP, 3.63 ERA, 3.53 FIP and a 13-7 record. Much better than I ever expected when he was signed

Indians magic number is 1 now so not getting my hopes up but still alive for the AL's best record

I'm not holding my breath because tomorrow is a giant question mark with McCullers pitching. The Sox are almost guaranteed to tack on 3-4 before he's pulled.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

1. Dodgers
2. gently caress everyone else I'm selfish and impatient now

Yes, but let me also propose:

Dodgers
Every other team aside from the...
Diamondbacks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brewers E# down to 1.

If we don't make it, I won't be that disappointed. Sad yeah, but what can you do, this team has a lot of talent.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm not holding my breath because tomorrow is a giant question mark with McCullers pitching. The Sox are almost guaranteed to tack on 3-4 before he's pulled.

I'm not holding my breath because we need the Indians to lose two games to the White Sox to close out the season

Unless you mean matching the franchise best record

Imagine if we hadn't been swept by both the A's and White Sox recently

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Brewers E# down to 1.

If we don't make it, I won't be that disappointed. Sad yeah, but what can you do, this team has a lot of talent.

It's crazy that they stayed in contention into the final weekend and I am extremely happy with that. If they get rid of Broxton over the break they'll be like +5 wins right then since Counsell won't be able to stupidly put him in instead of Phillips.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Good news everyone: The San Francisco Giants will not lose 100 games this year.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GPTribefan posted:

Oh he was very real. Oriole's minor leaguer that might have been the fastest pitcher ever recorded. He was the basis for Nuke LaLoosh in Bull Durham and threw even harder - and had even less idea where the ball was going to go.

I remember reading about him in a book by Ron Luciano - he was yanked from a no hitter after striking out 12 in 5 innings but walking 10. In another game he struck out 24 but walked 18. He broke the webbing in his catcher's mitts and put holes in the backstop fence. Never made it past AA and was rumored to throw close to 120mph.

If he had even an ounce more control, he might have been the greatest anyone ever saw. Never could get that last piece together tho and got released young after blowing out his elbow.

This Wikipedia like sums it all up:

"Dalkowski had a lifetime win-loss record of 46–80 and an ERA of 5.57 in nine minor league seasons, striking out 1,396 and walking 1,354 in 995 innings." 😳

he hurt his arm in Spring Training one year when on the verge of making the majors and idk if he ever pitched again.

I think he became a pretty bad alcoholic. :(

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Good Dog posted:

Stanton went like 1-15 this week in Colorado when everyone was hoping he'd hit a million homers to get to 61+. :mad:

His numbers in Coors are still ridiculous though. .286/.375/.714 in 104 PA.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

If the Yankees and Red Sox tie, would they have a Game 163 for the division, loser hosts the Twins? Or is there some other tiebreaker that would already decide it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Good news everyone: The San Francisco Giants will not lose 100 games this year.

Not enough to repay for the EYBS.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I did a thing, y'all: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835994

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just a head's up for those who want to watch more baseball: MLB.TV is free today and tomorrow so you can watch any game.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
On an emotional night for Matt Cain, the Giants gently caress up again. Congrats on the draft pick tho

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

corn on the cop posted:

On an emotional night for Matt Cain, the Giants gently caress up again. Congrats on the draft pick tho

Just like old times

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Giving him the proper Matt Cain send off, like old times :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Crew lost

V: 11 LOB :suicide:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

hey.....

HOLY poo poo

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Angels gave their pitcher of the year award to Petit, an innings eating middle reliever. If you were curious how the Angels pitching staff faired this year.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yankees gonna win at least 91 games and didn't get mathematically eliminated from winning the division until the 161st game.

I dunno why you people complain about rebuilding, it only takes like, 3 weeks and then next year you're back in the playoffs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees gonna win at least 91 games and didn't get mathematically eliminated from winning the division until the 161st game.

I dunno why you people complain about rebuilding, it only takes like, 3 weeks and then next year you're back in the playoffs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Locked thread