Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Slapping Trek ip items into the same story about how war is bad....but maybe necessary???...that's dominated sci-fi for 15 years and already flopped with th JJTrek series?

It's good to me.

LOL Sure if flopped means were highly popular, received favorable reviews and made a lot of money, then sure,they flopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Here's the bold new territory the show is going to cover. I know this because they told us in the season overview after episode 2:

-sometime you might just need to bend the rules to do what's right
-why do wars happen? culture.
-the subaltern other is noble in their own, primitive way. The only language they understand is force
-populism? It's actually the real fascism
-should we use WMDs? No. We are better than that. Our enemies though......

Anyways when everyone here ends up cheering John Bolton tearing up the Iran Nuclear deal in a few months, just know the smart folks at Prestige TV got you there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I caved and gave money to CBS. And after 2 episodes and the 'season preview' I actually want to watch more. I haven't had a cable tv bill in 12+ years, so I'm ok dropping dime on this. It still feels wrong tho

We can amicably disagree on the quality of the show. But just fyi I detest you for this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea instead trek should just remake TOS / TNG episodes.

btw still waiting for some proof that JJtrek flopped outside of :qq: not my trek

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Atreiden posted:

LOL Sure if flopped means were highly popular, received favorable reviews and made a lot of money, then sure,they flopped.

Yeah, they didn't flop. They're absolutely seriveable summer blockbusters you won't remember a week later. I hope STD is just like that.

Also, it's "generally favorable reviews".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They shouldn't copy it, but trying to emulate the best elements wouldn't be a bad idea. You could teach the concept and the implications of human rights based on The Measure of a Man. Star Trek should strive to always be this profound.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 30, 2017

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

btw still waiting for some proof that JJtrek flopped outside of :qq: not my trek

IT would be more brave of them to remake TOS episodes, agreed.

And they killed the series after 3 movies. Sorry mate. If you want to fight over my use of the word flop you can spend your energy on that. I will allow it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

We literally discussed this in discord with you there Smh dp quit having bad opinions

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

And they killed the series after 3 movies. Sorry mate. If you want to fight over my use of the word flop you can spend your energy on that. I will allow it.

From 0 to puppet master in 3 posts? That's impressive.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They are making a fourth movie though http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-trek/257081/star-trek-4-cast-release-date-director

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ain't gonna happen.

For true Star Trek nostalgia imagine I said "not gonna do it' in the Dana Carvey GHWB voice ;)

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The first JJTrek was a success, but Into Darkness being a ripoff of Wrath of Khan was not well received. Beyond made $158,848,340 on a $185m budget. Movies are supposed to make more than they cost.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Heathen posted:

The first JJTrek was a success, but Into Darkness being a ripoff of Wrath of Khan was not well received. Beyond made $158,848,340 on a $185m budget. Movies are supposed to make more than they cost.

It sold worse domestically, but they actually made a lot of it back internationally. Over all, Beyond didn't do as well as the second one ($467m), but still made back almost twice its budget of $185m ($343m).

I actually liked Beyond more than the others. Probably won't watch the fourth one without Simon Pegg as a writer. Still very forgettable films.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Heathen posted:

Into Darkness holds a Score of 86% among critics and 90% among viewers on rotten tomatoes. Beyond made $343.5 million, Sure it's "only" $158 million in profit after you remove the cost.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

And More posted:

It sold worse domestically, but they actually made a lot of it back internationally. Over all, Beyond didn't do as well as the second one ($467m), but still made back almost twice its budget of $185m ($343m).

If you want to include international then you should double the budget to account for marketing. $343m vs $370m is still a loss.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Atreiden posted:

Into Darkness holds a Score of 86% among critics and 90% among viewers on rotten tomatoes. Beyond made $343.5 million, Sure it's "only" $158 million in profit after you remove the cost.

Do you like Into Darkness? I don't know a single person who does. Everyone just goes: "That was alright. The part where Spock pummeled Sherlock was a bit much."

Heathen posted:

If you want to include international then you should double the budget to account for marketing. $343m vs $370m is still a loss.

Fair enough. It was probably backlash from everyone piling on Into Darkness.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Atreiden posted:

Beyond made $343.5 million, Sure it's "only" $158 million in profit after you remove the cost.

That's not how domestic vs international works.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lizard Combatant posted:

The issue I have is that it all played out so passively and the Klingons' motivations were incredibly undeveloped.

The war wasn't started because of misunderstanding, betrayal, revenge or really any conflict of ideology beyond a vague sense of Klingon isolationism.
Look at his quote from Sarek (during that clunky space telepathy scene) "Often, such leaders will need a profound cause for their followers to rally around."
The Klingons were not at war until some guy called them up and said, "hey we should fight these guys" and they all agreed because... why?
What indication do we have that this is a "profound" statement to the Klingons?
We spent a lot of time with them, even seeing childhood flashbacks. Could they not have fit in anything to show some kind of inner conflict within the Klingon empire? What was stopping them before?

If they had actually had the balls to do the Augment Klingons, that would have been perfect motivation--"we've been sticken by this virus for a century and have literally lost our "Klingon-ness and many of us look like humans."

I haven't seen episode 2 yet but going by this thread I assume they absolutely did not go there.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Astroman posted:

If they had actually had the balls to do the Augment Klingons, that would have been perfect motivation--"we've been sticken by this virus for a century and have literally lost our "Klingon-ness and many of us look like humans."

I haven't seen episode 2 yet but going by this thread I assume they absolutely did not go there.

Lol, no offence but I am very glad they did not.

But some kind of fear that they were losing their culture to the Federation? That would be a legit motivation.
There's lots of talk about "remaining Klingon" but we're shown nothing to suggest that they're not exactly the same that they've always been.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

And More posted:

I actually liked Beyond more than the others. Probably won't watch the fourth one without Simon Pegg as a writer. Still very forgettable films.
Yeah :same:

Beyond was the best out of those three.

In general, my feeling is that Trek movies are not very good. I have a thing for Star Trek: The Motion Picture (weird and 2001-ish) but the only ones that most people agree are pretty good are II, IV and XI.

Trek is meant to be on TV.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Don't think it's reasonable to trust the infamous "Hollywood accounting" when trying to judge whether a movie was actually profitable.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

just saw the first two eps

i was expecting more discovery? they've discovered like one thing so far

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think STD will have really any subtext or moral messages

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm disappointed that with all their CG they didn't think to do a tracking shot from the phaser emitters to the captain looking out the bridge window. It was mostly wide-angle pew pew where they can now do close pew pew.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yeah :same:

Beyond was the best out of those three.

In general, my feeling is that Trek movies are not very good. I have a thing for Star Trek: The Motion Picture (weird and 2001-ish) but the only ones that most people agree are pretty good are II, IV and XI.

Trek is meant to be on TV.

It was the best. It suffers a bit, since the end fight was basically the fight against Khan in SF in Into Darkness, but otherwise it was a fun, inventive movie that used all the main cast really well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess we'll ultimately see, but it really feels like these first two episodes are more of a series prologue.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I don't think STD will have really any subtext or moral messages

Having immoral messages is, in fact, a moral message.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess we'll ultimately see, but it really feels like these first two episodes are more of a series prologue.

They've definitely said that it's a prologue. Which seems pointless to me. Introducing your lead sitting in a prison cell is a good opening.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh, and btw, this fourth episode that people are raving about was literally a retread of the old TOS episode For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky, just with much less likeable characters. Is that what people really want out of Star Trek? Warmed over stories they've seen before with even worse writing and poo poo jokes?

That's exactly what they want. Regardless of it being what killed the TV franchise for over a decade, and regardless of all that stuff being available already on blu-ray, two or three times per story. Because god forbid there should be any exploration of new areas, fresh looks at civilisations, or bold steps in their Star Trek. And don't even dream of asking them to allow time for that voyage to happen.

That's not what Trek is about.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 30, 2017

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Artelier posted:

i was expecting more discovery? they've discovered like one thing so far
They've discovered how to fill two hours of tv with inexplicably closeup dutch angles, so there's that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's exactly what they want. Regardless of it being what killed the TV franchise for over a decade, and regardless of all that stuff being available already on blu-ray, two or three times per story. Because god forbid there should be any exploration of new areas, fresh looks at civilisations, or bold steps in their Star Trek. And don't even dream of asking them to allow time for that voyage to happen.

Then I'm glad Discovery is finally doing something with the notoriously underdeveloped Klingons.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Then I'm glad Discovery is finally doing something with the notoriously underdeveloped Klingons.

Hey he said fresh new look at civilizations and these Klingons are fresh. Now they're ISIS (and also Iran, because obviously) instead of Russians.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

The thing is, as of now this "bold new look" Discovery seems to be doing is only new in Trek, but it has been done to death in other fiction. Let's be fair, it's only two episodes in, but they weren't creative episodes in any way.

I very much want Orville to branch of into it's own thing soon, but as of now it's at least is following a formula i like.

But maybe we shouldn't be judging these series two and four episodes in, respectively.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress do you and that other prick ever piss and moan more about what you feel nerds think than any Trekkie or casual fan I know or associate with. Get the gently caress over yourselves.

Like if I were going to bring Trek back to TV I wouldn't be as on the nose about it as The Orville, but 'blue collar TNG with dick and weed jokes' is a solid angle and I'm digging it more than the entire Stargate franchise, which was very nearly the same thing.

Meanwhile I'll hope STD does something fresher and more exciting than "dour people make lovely choices in an ugly world" because if I want that I'll go outside or crack open the BSG blu rays I didn't buy because once through all that bullshit was enough. For the record though, I actually do expect the show will start going that way by the third episode because it's still Star Trek and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until it spits in my eye. Hell, even SGU managed to turn out an interesting episode or two by the end.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

Holy gently caress do you and that other prick ever piss and moan more about what you feel nerds think

Hi there. We know what you think because you're always so eager to share it with the world. You all knew Discovery would be bad the moment it was announced. And what do you know? You were right! It was terrible you cried. "This is not star trek, things happened" you wailed. "Why isn't it like TNG" one guy said while masturbating over his fanfic about Vic Fontaine, secret leader of section 31. "Guys if we're so autistic why are we also so dumb? Doesn't that mean we have no redeeming qualities?" one guy said and then promptly killed himself. I'd say it was a tragic waste of life but it wasn't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lizard Combatant posted:

They've definitely said that it's a prologue. Which seems pointless to me. Introducing your lead sitting in a prison cell is a good opening.

One of the EPs who replaced Fuller, either Harberts or Berg--I forget which, but it was in a semi-recent interview--said that they view Episode 3 as "their" pilot, since they kept at least enough of Fuller's two scripts for him to retain credit. Edit: After hearing that, it makes the random two-episode tack-on from earlier this summer (to make the run 15 episodes) make a little more sense.

Heathen posted:

The first JJTrek was a success, but Into Darkness being a ripoff of Wrath of Khan was not well received.

You want a movie that's a ripoff of Wrath of Khan, look at Nemesis. Into Darkness inverts literally one sequence from Wrath of Khan (and even the biggest flaw there isn't the inversion, but that it goes for a completely unearned emotional payoff).

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 30, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Hi there. We know what you think because you're always so eager to share it with the world. You all knew Discovery would be bad the moment it was announced. And what do you know? You were right! It was terrible you cried. "This is not star trek, things happened" you wailed. "Why isn't it like TNG" one guy said while masturbating over his fanfic about Vic Fontaine, secret leader of section 31. "Guys if we're so autistic why are we also so dumb? Doesn't that mean we have no redeeming qualities?" one guy said and then promptly killed himself. I'd say it was a tragic waste of life but it wasn't.

Didn't call anyone a pedo this time, you're slacking off.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also, STD isn't doing anything different.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love TNG and think Orville is a massive fuckin waste of everyone's time. It's like TNG without any likeable characters and a super lame dad joke tone throughout, it totally feels like fan fiction or something. I can understand why people like it but to even put it on the same level as TNG is pretty insulting, even including the really bad episodes because they at least had loving Patrick Stewart in them.

STD has problems, but I really want to see where it goes because it's clearly going for something that Trek hasn't attempted before, and I would much rather have that than some half-assed love letter to the 90s.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

to even put it on the same level as TNG is pretty insulting

Good thing nobody is doing this. At least on SA. We make have liked Orville but we don't have any illusions that it is TV gold or anything.

It's a more realistic opinion than the one about Star Trek "boldly going where everyone else has gone before" Discovery.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

One of the EPs who replaced Fuller, either Harberts or Berg--I forget which, but it was in a semi-recent interview--said that they view Episode 3 as "their" pilot, since they kept at least enough of Fuller's two scripts for him to retain credit. Edit: After hearing that, it makes the random two-episode tack-on from earlier this summer (to make the run 15 episodes) make a little more sense.

There's a preview clip floating out there from Burnham's first introduction to engineering on Discovery that's much more the tone that we're accustomed to in Trek.

Spoilers:
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/29/star-trek-discovery-anthony-rapp/